179 405843 Sep 30, 2013
ef70_200_28_1_

One of the finest telephoto zoom lenses in the EF line, comparable to a single focal length lens. It has four UD-glass elements to correct chromatic aberrations. Its constant f/2.8 maximum aperture and superb image quality make it one of the most popular professional SLR lenses in the world. Compatible with Extender EF 1.4x II and 2x II.

swanny338

Registered: Aug 24, 2004
Review Date: Sep 5, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $870.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great glass, f/2.8, well built, awesome color
Cons:
Cons? there are cons, one might be weight but it doesnt bother me at all

Just got this lens three days ago, I am still on film and just got the prints back from my first excursion with this lens... I have never seen so much color, sharpness and contrast in any of my pictures, I LOVE this lens.

Highly recommended

Sep 5, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add swanny338 to your Buddy List
Tim Speciale

Registered: Jul 21, 2004
Review Date: Aug 25, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $890.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Focus speed is super fast, focus motor is super quiet. Sharp as a tac even wide open which brings me to my next point. Its an f/2.8 20mm lens, oh yeah...it's got the flexibility of a zoom. It's just a very flexible lens. *Big white lens :-)
Cons:
Big and white, fine for the sidelines, but bring it out in "public" and people stare, point, and ask "are you a pro". Please make sure to read teh * in the pros :-D

No it doesnt have IS, but this makes it a very tangible lens for many to purchase. Your getting a 200mm f/2.8 lens with flourite elements for $900 or so on ebay. It doesnt get any better then that.

Furthermore most people who use this lens dont miss the IS. Not to say it isnt an advantage. In my case however, just as an example, i shoot highschool sports. No matter how dim the light is using IS wouldnt be an advantage as i need to shoot at least 1/200 just to STOP the action.

When i first got into photography i started out with some very cheap sigma zooms. When i got the prints back they were colored nice and at the time that was all that mattered.

I then got into digital photography which opened the flood gates. When i made prints of the 50mm f/1.8 i was shocked at how sharp these images were, along with the color.

I recently just printed my first shots with this lens (70-200 f/2.8) and i have been amazed yet again. The color is extreamly vibrant, there is a ton of contrast, and the images are so sharp that they almost stick out of the paper.

The bottom line is that considering the price on ebay or on forums for these things, it is almost a must have.

Aug 25, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Tim Speciale to your Buddy List
Unregistered
Review Date: Aug 17, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp at all apetures, great zoom range, fast focusing, L series quality
Cons:

Sooo glad I bought this lens. My Nikon shooting friend kept encouraging me to get this lens, as his Nikkor 80-200mm is what he shoots with most of the time. Finally picked one up and am very impressed so far. Tac sharp, USM is pretty fast, and the range is great

Anyone regret not paying the extra $500 for IS? I don't. I have it on my EF 28-135mm and all it does is drain my battery faster. I am sure that 135mm is a bit short to truly appreciate IS, and I am sure others love it, but I'm glad I kept my money. I can always use a tripod if my ISO and shutter speeds can't hack handheld shooting in a particular condition.

It's heavier than I am used to, but not enough to impair my handheld shooting. And of course, it's not a cheap lens, but this is my second L-series lens (f/4 17-40mm) and I have yet to be dissappointed. My only regret is that I didn't buy this lens sooner

Aug 17, 2004
Edit/Delete Message
mrtreacle

Registered: Jul 8, 2004
Review Date: Jul 29, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Amazing bokeh, colors are beautiful, sharp images right out of the camera.
Cons:
Heavy, but that's about it.

I have a 70-200L 4.0 but I felt the need for the 2.8 due to the fact that I shoot in a lot of low-light or natural light environments, i.e. concerts, etc.

I originally purchsed the 24-70L 2.8 but found it to have terrible focusing problems on my 10D and the noise levels above ISO 400 was way too much and not what I expected for an 'L' lens.

So back to the store I went and picked up this beauty. I did some test shots at ISO 1600 indoors, with minimal lighting, and the pictures came out beautifully. Very sharp and contrasty, almost a creamy look to the images.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this lens. I chose it over the IS version because frankly my subject matter never really stands still. Also, I like to be able to pay rent.

Jul 29, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add mrtreacle to your Buddy List
Taubo

Registered: Jun 21, 2004
Review Date: Jul 8, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, Bokeh, super fast focusing, white paint (reflects heat)
Cons:
White paint (stands out), Hood is a little goofy, Makes me what MORE "L" glass

I love this lens and it's in my hands 90% of the time. I had the sigma 70-200 2.8 and the colors with my canon is just slightly better, but the sigma didn't focus nearly as fast as the canon. Weight, yeah but its a telephoto 2.8 lens! What do you expect? I guess I have youth on my side.

White is great if your in the sun (reflects heat). Using the black sigma lens always burned my hand when using it. Only problem is you stand out in a crowd, and when traveling abroad, you scream "Steel me!"

Also used IS version and both are awesome lenses. I have to eat, so I got the non-IS version, and have never looked back.

Jul 8, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Taubo to your Buddy List
Unregistered
Review Date: Jun 29, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: sharp, nice contrast and saturation, simply the best non-IS medium zoom at this price
Cons:
heavy and rather unwieldy

It's an excellent lens for the price and those who don't need IS (ie. wouldn't shoot below 1/200 anyways). Rugged, fast and accurate focus, sharp images with minimal distortion. A bit soft wide open but most f/2.8 lenses are that way. The only downside of this lens is the weight and the fact most of the weight is in the front of the lens -- center of gravity is farther forward than most lenses.

Jun 29, 2004
Edit/Delete Message
ultimate

Registered: Sep 26, 2003
Review Date: Jun 12, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Big, white, heavy. Beautiful pictures. Works great w 1.4TC.
Cons:
Big, white, heavy. Large filter size (77mm)

I love this lens. I love the shallow depth of field. When people compliment my photos, it is often because of this lens. Fast focus and sweet bokeh.

Jun 12, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ultimate to your Buddy List
xenogears00

Registered: Apr 11, 2004
Review Date: Apr 11, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build quality is top-notch, most excellent image quality in any lens, color and contrast is very well done.
Cons:
a free tripod would be nice to compensate for lack of IS =)

An absolutely perfect lens that can be recommended by any serious or amateur photographer. This lens was engineered to deliver image perfection - it's up to you to compose and set things right. I would go even as far as to say that this lens rivals images that can be had from the best Leica lens! A Must BUY for any photo enthusiast who uses a Canon!

Apr 11, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add xenogears00 to your Buddy List
Stephen Scharf

Registered: Dec 19, 2002
Review Date: Dec 16, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $945.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Prime lens sharpness on a very versatile zoom lens. Works superbly with the 1.4X teleconvertor and quite well with a 2X teleconvertor.
Cons:
A replacement lens shade is a little pricey.

This is my favorite lens and one of the most impressive lenses I have ever used. I get incredible results with it and use it whenever possible. It is very sharp and delivers beautiful images. Also produces a beautiful bokeh when used at big apertures, e.g. f/2.8. It is my favorite lens as it is so versatile, especially when combined with a 1.4X teleconvertor. Fast throughout the zoom range, and easy to handhold and shoot all day long. One can get a non-IS version of this lens for around $900 and for the quality this lens provides, that is a steal.

Dec 16, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Stephen Scharf to your Buddy List
GOVA

Registered: Nov 23, 2002
Review Date: Sep 28, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,650.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Very sharp, IS is great, one of the best zooms around.
Cons:
IS switch can be accidentaly turned off. Not a very good point in a lens of this class.

This is an excellent zoom in its focal range. It autofocuses silently and fast. Its bokeh is very pleasing. Its maximum aperature of 2.8 combined with IS feature makes is an incredible tool for low-light work.

Now, the ONE BAD THING...

Sep 28, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add GOVA to your Buddy List
GOVA

Registered: Nov 23, 2002
Review Date: Sep 28, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,650.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Very sharp, IS is great, one of the best zooms around.
Cons:

Now, the ONE BAD THING...

Sep 28, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add GOVA to your Buddy List
anderson

Registered: Dec 18, 2002
Review Date: Aug 18, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: So sharp it is scary! Built like a Sherman tank. Tripod mount/lens shade included.
Cons:
Heavy as a Sherman tank

This was the 2nd "L" zoom I purchased. I had the 28-70 2.8 and was SUPER happy with it ... untill I used the 70-200. This lens is one of the sharpest in my arsenal. It is only slightly beat out by the 100 2.8 macro. I have had NO issues with the fact that it is not IS. Normally, I shoot from a tripod, but I took some GREAT white tailed deer shots with this lens handheld at 1/30 of a second!! (luck). Great lens and non-IS saves you money if you are like me and normally shoot off a tripod. There are a lot of these for sale, cheap, as people upgrade to the IS model. Great buy for folks who want one of Canon's best but cannot affort the price of an IS. I have seen one go on e-bay for $800!!

Aug 18, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add anderson to your Buddy List
FredericB

Registered: Jul 22, 2003
Review Date: Aug 1, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: very sharp from f:2.8 to f:22 at every focal distance, fast, not that expensive
Cons:
Heavy the IS did not exist when I bought it...

The best of all my lenses - from 70mm to 200mm it equals the primes... what else to say: the AF is extremely fast.
I use it for sports, reporting and landscape, I use it all the time, I use it more and more

What else could I want? The IS version at the same price ...

Aug 1, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add FredericB to your Buddy List
EOSMIKE

Registered: Jun 14, 2003
Posts: 2081
Review Date: Jul 8, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,950.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: 1> a must have for the photojournalist, 2> likely the most used lens in his/her arsenal (is for me!) 3> tripod mount included (and often needed for sports etc) 4> works especially well with 1.4x 5> minimum aperature of f/32 6> rugged build (weatherproof/bulletprof!)
Cons:
1> heavy for hand-held use (2.9ibs), but very well balanced with highend motordrive camera bodies EOS 1D, 1V-HS, 1RS, 1N, 3, etc IS model 160g (~3 oz) heavier 2> lens hood can easily get damaged/broken (mine ok so far!) but hard/expensive to fix/replace (so i've seen and heard!) 3> AF/MF button easily "moved" inadvertently

> a must have lens for the newspaper photojournalist.
used often for sports/news/headshots/pressers. (@ weddings, too)
> first lens to buy (don't accept imitations!)
>if two bodies are used, this lens is almost always on one body (90%+).
> lens speed / ease of use make for constant companionship!
> may want to tape AF/MF "button" to AF as easily slips
(note: this is true with several canon lenses)
check with a colleague or pro in your area for ideal "taping method"
> only buy IS model if your research/budget suggests benefits for your style of photography (50% premium cost and 3oz heavier)
> consider buying used (if you can locate)

Jul 8, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add EOSMIKE to your Buddy List
cmdoc

Registered: Mar 12, 2002
Review Date: Jun 2, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $975.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Superb color, sharpness. Fast autofocus. Very durable.
Cons:
Slightly heavy when hand-holding.

I bought this used and haven't had one single problem of any kind with it. I have probably taken over 5,000 photos with it in all kinds of weather, including a steady rain. Super sharp with fantastic color. I have even dropped (while in my camera bag) from four feet high to asphalt driveway without any damage to the lens. The lens cover, however, was a different story!

Jun 2, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add cmdoc to your Buddy List
Gilles

Registered: Nov 25, 2002
Review Date: Apr 5, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: High performance & superb build quality. Compatible with 1.4 / 2 x extenders.
Cons:

This is another must-have lens. It handles very well, optical quality is top notch at all focal lengths, including wide open, and AF is fast.

I've got mine almost eight years ago - when it was released - and I will never drop it.

I have no idea if the IS version has better image quality or handling, but it is still one of the finest zoom lenses from Canon. If you need one, there is plenty of it in the second hand market - specially since the release of the IS version.

Apr 5, 2003