Sigma 24mm f1.8 EX DG Aspherical Macro

27 177041 Nov 5, 2011
7.9
24_f1_8_1_

Sigma 24mm f1.8 EX DG Aspherical Macro is one of the EX Series lenses. This lens has a fast F1.8 maximum aperture with macro focusing capability of minimum focusing down to 18cm/7.1inches (reproduction ratio 1:2.7). The iris diaphragm has 9 diaphragm blades to obtain beautiful out of focus image. It incorporates the floating focus system and uses two aspherical lens elements for minimizing distortion and spherical aberration and astigmatism. Internal focus system eliminates front lens rotation, thus allowing the use of a Perfect Hood and the easy use of polarizing filters. The lens incorporates non-vignetting optical construction, in order to obtain adequate peripheral brightness even at open aperture. This is desirable for digital cameras. The lens also incorporates dual-focus mechanism. It is easy to hold the lens, since focusing ring does not rotate during auto-focus, and yet it provides adequate focusing torque of the focusing ring during manual focusing of the lens. The lens materials used in this new lens are lead and arsenic free ecological glass.

Page:  1 · 2  next

jessi74

Registered: Aug 22, 2008
Review Date: Nov 5, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $175.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fun macro ability. My copy was ridiculously sharp on DX, even from f/1.8 (kicked the 20/1.8 hollow).
Cons:
77mm filter. Exposed front element. Awkward MF clutch.

A great option given the few fast wides for DX.

Nov 5, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jessi74 to your Buddy List
wedding-

Registered: Aug 17, 2011
Review Date: Aug 18, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $390.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: -VERY close focusing -f/1.8 -bokeh is quite nice
Cons:
-not very cheap -prone to some flare

I use this lens with my Nikon D700 camera. It's much better on full-frame than it was on the cropped D300s. The bokeh is nice and smooth. The resolution is acceptable already at f/1.8 and very good from f/2.5. I like this lens, as it's one of those very few lenses (under 1000$) that can give real bokeh and wide-angle at the same time.

I would recommend this lens, but maybe not to casual shooters.

(You can get a good idea of the close-up possibilities of this lens here: http://www.jannemiettinen.fi/wedding-blog/blog/wedding-photos-suomenlinna/ , as all of the close-up shots are taken with the Sigma 24mm f/1.8 lens.)

Aug 18, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add wedding- to your Buddy List
banpreso

Registered: Apr 18, 2011
Review Date: Apr 18, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: wide and fast, sharp wide open, good bokeh
Cons:
no HSM, clutch manual focus switch

I'm on the canon mount shooting full frame. There aren't that many options if you want to shoot wide and fast. This Sigma delivers at a good price point. It's sharp wide open, bokeh is nice, and contrast is good. Focus is noisy and slow compared to HSM, and the clutch manual focus switch could really use an update. All in all it's a great placeholder until you are ready to buy the 24L ii. I would take this lens over the 24L version 1 on any day. This is excellent value for money.

Apr 18, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add banpreso to your Buddy List
jeremytf50d

Registered: Mar 20, 2010
Review Date: May 28, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $450.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Extremely close focusing. Center sharpness is good, especially past f/2.0. Focus is accurate on mine.
Cons:
Focus is a little slow and noisy. Edges are soft wide open but improve past f/2.0. Vignette can be noticeable when wide open.

Very unusual combination of wide angle, extremely close focusing, and wide aperture - I don't know of any other lens like it (except for its partner at 28mm). The 20mm version doesn't focus as closely.

Center sharpness is good, especially past f/2.0. It's a little soft at f/1.8 on mine, with the edges definitely soft until you get past 2.0.

Will focus with subject nearly touching the lens good, which makes for some creative opportunities.

Focus is accurate on mine although slow enough that I don't intend to use it for fast-moving subjects.

May 28, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jeremytf50d to your Buddy List

Review Date: Feb 6, 2010 Recommend? | Price paid: $200.00

Pros: sharp, good color, large max aperature, closest focusing of ANY wide angle lens, 77mm filter thread
Cons:
odd two step af/mf switching,

I am surprised this lens doesn't get higher ratings here. Maybe I'm more happy with it considering I got a huge steal on it used. I don't know. I do know I find myself turning to this lens repeatedly for macro. I own the Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro (non IS) and Canon 60mm f/2.8 macro lenses. I use these with my Rebel XTi. The problem I always run into is not having a wide enough field of view. This lens solves this problem. Granted it doesn't do 1:1 as a true macro lens, but I can get there with ext tubes if needed. Yes, I know a full frame camera would pretty much solve this too with a 50mm macro. But even there, a wide angle macro lens would be great.

A 17mm f/2.8 true macro lens with 1:1 would be amazing. Through a 4 stop IS in there to put it over the top. Until then the Sigma 24mm will have to do.

Feb 6, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add brightondale to your Buddy List
ryan the geek

Registered: Jun 1, 2009
Review Date: Oct 19, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $370.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Built solid, center is sharp
Cons:
two step MF, slow focus with macro

Just bought a copy of this lens here. The lens is build very well, and has some weight to it (to be expected with a f 1.8). Love the DOF on this guy, but when you get up close for macro, the AF steps the focus 3 times before it locks in. Not a huge problem, because I usually manual focus when that close.

Center sharpness is good, not excellent, and the edges get soft (but not surprising). But over all, for the price this lens hits the mark in build and IQ, its a keeper.

Oct 19, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ryan the geek to your Buddy List
drugless

Registered: Apr 20, 2009
Review Date: Apr 20, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $450.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Solid construction, beautiful colors and images, great bokeh
Cons:

When I first got this lens, I was somewhat upset that it seemed to be backfocusing. I ended up download a chart to check this out, and found out that it was my camera -- this lens is just so much faster than my other lenses that it really brought the issue to light. I managed to calibrate my camera, and suddenly even my Sony 75 - 300mm lens, which I was planning on dumping, began to perform better.

All in all, I am very satisfied with this lens. It is fast enough to use indoors with little light, and really performs great with a flash. As long as a bounce card is used on the flash, I don't have any issues with vignetting.

Apr 20, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add drugless to your Buddy List
Liquidstone

Registered: Jan 13, 2005
Review Date: Apr 14, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Close focusing, bokeh, optics
Cons:
Two step processed to MF, noisy AF motor

I got this lens because I like the close-focusing ability and the bokeh, in an affordable WA with decent optics. I use it mostly wide open, and sharpness is decent at that Av (though it improves further when stopped down a bit).

Apr 14, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Liquidstone to your Buddy List
Chococat

Registered: Nov 26, 2008
Review Date: Jan 31, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $320.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Price; center sharpness
Cons:
Most notably handling, speed of AF

This lens gives me results a lot like the Canon 24L--but, is that good news or bad news? I didn't much care for the 24L and got rid of it. The center sharpness on this lens is very food, and my copy gives a nice, smooth, clear image. The corners (and I am shooting full frame, might be different on cropped) are mediocre, and there is some purple fringing. Well, that's what the 24L was like. I suppose the 24L had better colors, although with that lens the purple fringing got worse when you stopped down, on the Sigma at least it seems to get better. Of course, these defects are a lot easier to justify in a $300 one than in a $1200 one. Of course, the one huge difference is in handling. This one does not handle well--it has the somewhat annoying clutch and switch that several people mention, also the focusing speed can be quite slow. It is a fast prime, but it seems like it kind of undermines itself by being a fast prime that focuses slowly.

This lens is also considered a macro. In fact, that is the reason why I chose it, rather than, say, the Canon 24 2.8, which might overall give better results. As a macro it is idiosyncratic, because it is such a wide angle. It probably would not appeal to macro purists, or people who want a very precise and scientific look to their macro photography. Because it is a 24mm, when you get up close for macro shots you can have the severe distortions that are typical of wide angle lenses. I like this effect, and I find it expressive--as a macro, then, it will have a lot of appeal to people like myself who like a distorted and exxagerated aesthetic in extreme close up shots. People who don't like that look will definitely not like this lens as a macro, however.

So would I recommend this? If you really want a wide aperture prime, if wide aperture really is a priority for you, then yes--I would recommend it because I honestly don't see it as being that much different than the 24L, and it costs a quarter the price. But that recommendation would come with the caveat that you had better be willing to sacrifice handling and focusing speed. If those things are important to you, I would not recommend it. I would also recommend it to people who like an exxagerated style of macro photography. But for people who really want a top of the line, over all excellent 24mm lens, no, I would not recommend it. But up until now, I don't think such a lens really has existed for Canon shooters, so in the respect the Sigma can't be judged too harshly. Who knows, maybe the 24L II is the one, maybe the ace lens has finally arrived. . . . I have never tried it, so I don't know.

Jan 31, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Chococat to your Buddy List
HomeyD5

Registered: Dec 11, 2008
Review Date: Dec 12, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Has unique capabilities, and can produce good results in specific situations.
Cons:
Soft wide open, my sample backfocuses and shoots a full stop underexposed.

Not a lens to be trusted, certainly not one to be purchased without a warranty or at least a return policy, this beast is tough to criticize because it has very little competition (particularly for Nikon users). My sample consistently backfocused by a huge amount; fortunately something I could correct with the focus adjustment settings on my D300's menus. Its chip also thinks it's a stop faster than it actually is, so I have to put +1 exposure compensation on every picture I shoot with it! Why put up with these horrendous faults? Because at f/1.8 and focusing several inches from the front element, it delivers results that few other lenses can match. Shallow DOF and good, useable bokeh with a
24mm lens? Believe it! I'm tempted to lump this lens in the freakish oddity bin with the LensBabies; but if you stop it down it actually behaves itself and performs decently as a mild-mannered wide prime. Still, if you're thinking of using it as a fast normal lens for a small-sensor digicam, make sure you get a properly functioning sample and give it a thorough shakedown before the return period ends!!

Dec 12, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add HomeyD5 to your Buddy List
Joseph N. Hall

Registered: Dec 31, 2007
Review Date: Sep 2, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent image quality, fantastic bokeh, unusually high magnification, great depth of field effect potential
Cons:
Annoying dual focus system, clunky handling

I guess that as usual there are good copies of Sigma lenses and not so good copies, but this is one of the best wide angle lenses I have ever used. It's quite sharp corner to corner on my 5D wide open. Among other things, this is obvious in the starfields when I photograph auroras. Flare and contrast are fine, by my standards anyway.

The special thing about this lens, though, is that it has a very high magnification for a wide-angle lens, and as a result, when used wide open on a subject near the lens, you can get some tremendous depth of field effects. The bokeh is also fantastic. (Sigma irises are nice.) "A" to "A+" image quality. For the money, unbelievable. I doubt that the Canon equivalent will make better pictures.

The dual focus and focusing in general is annoying but it's easy enough to live with. The handling is kind of clunky. Oh well. Can't have everything.

Highly recommended if the handling doesn't get in your way. If you get one that's "blah," exchange it for another (and maybe another), until you get a good one.

Sep 2, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Joseph N. Hall to your Buddy List
ChristopherPer

Registered: Dec 19, 2007
Review Date: Jul 22, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $280.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Outstanding optics. Good construction. Excellent resolution and contrast at all apertures, even wide open.
Cons:

I wondered just how bad a lens this could be, given it's current overall rating by many reviewers found here. I'm glad I gave this lens a try anyways.

I took a look at the MTF design data at Sigma and compared it against Canon's MTF design data and quickly realized something. Sigma optimizes for high contrast around the center of the field, while allowing the edge performance to drop off pretty dramatically. Canon optimizes many of their prime optics for even performance across the field at the cost of absolute performance in the center at wide apertures. Take a look at the design data and you might see what I mean.

I purchased the lens for use in selective focus work. The need for something a little wider in terms of aperture and focal length came up after a recent shoot with a 28mm f/2.8 Canon (which I dearly love). I didn't mind the corners going soft as this is the kind of "look" I was after.

In the real world, my 24 Sigma f/1.8 offers nearly identical performance as my 50 Canon f/1.8 II (used on a 40D). In the center of the image the 24 Sigma is sharp and contrasty wide open and chromatic aberrations are well controlled. The edge performance wide open does degrade, and as the design information suggests, it does this in a linear predictable manner. By f/2.8 the 24 Sigma is truly outstanding across the field and matches (if not exceeds) the performance of my L-glass.

As a general purpose "walking around" prime optic on a crop sensor DSLR the 24 Sigma exceeds my expectations. As a selective focus widest possible aperture at a quite reasonable price, the 24 Sigma is worth every penny I paid for it.

Jul 22, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ChristopherPer to your Buddy List
pixelninny

Registered: Apr 5, 2008
Review Date: Apr 5, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $330.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Fast 1.8, beautiful DOP, Macro capabilities, Price,
Cons:
Auto focus motor seems a little slow. Combination with my F100 seems to fish more than I'm happy with.

I'm using this on my Nikon F100 35mm camera and I love the wide angle nature of the 24mm. Also I REALLY love that I can focus on something about 3 inches away form the lens.The depth of field looks beautiful and smooth. I think the lens is built pretty solid, maybe a step down from my Nikkor 105mm in heftiness, but I have no problems with it.

There may be a bit of magenta fringing on one of my photos, but I can't really tell if that was the lens or the light. All other looked great and sharp wide open.

That being said, I evaluate a lens on the creative possibilities it opens for me. I don't really focus primarily on technical aspects like most other photographers. Personally I have never thought, Oh I'd would have loved the photo if the focus were sharper because I'm typically looking for something more than technical perfection. I know this is a purists and perfectionists medium, and that it really easy to get caught up in. So if that's the case, money shouldn't stand in your way. But for me, I love how my photos look, I think the price is great, a small price worth paying for the creative opportunities it opens for me.

Recommended for artists, maybe not scientists.

Apr 5, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add pixelninny to your Buddy List

Review Date: Jan 4, 2007 Recommend? | Price paid: $182.50

Pros: Fast, wide, macro, price, decent build quality. It's even sharp wide open if it gets focus correct.
Cons:
Two steps to get to manual focus. Tremendous flare/ CA when shooting directly at light sources significantly brighter than adjacent areas.

At the price I paid for this lens, I'm pretty happy with it provided I can get the focus issue I'm having figured out. The lens has a tendacy to backfocus, except for macro.

If the focus is good in a shot, I find this lens is even very sharp wide open.

I'd say it is a tad big in comparison to some other wides. But the size isn't that big where I take issue for that.

The two steps needed to employ manual focus is odd.

If you would like to buy this lens for shooting in dark places like bars where there are many bright spot lights, neon lights, signs, etc. this lens is NOT for you. When this lens encounters very bright lights against much darker surroundings in a shot, there will be tremendous flare.

Jan 4, 2007

Review Date: Dec 31, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $182.50 | Rating: 8

Pros: Fast and wide. Decent macro. Awesome bokeh. Inexpensive. Reasonably sharp wide open. Tremendously sharp past 2.8. Decent build quality.
Cons:
Halation/ Chromatic Aberation in wide open, low key shots. Two steps needed to go to manual focus.

As stated above, I only paid $180 for this lens (would be $330-ish new). With that in mind I wasn't expecting too much. However I was very surprised with what I get from this lens.

First of all it's a 1.8, so yeah it's big. But it's not that big or that heavy. It's not too big to fit in a small gadget bag with a few other lenses.

Second, it's a 1.8, so DOF is very shallow. Perfect focusing is critical wide open.

The only truly concernable complaint I have for this lens is a halation/ CA problem with not all, but some highlights in low key shots at 1.8. The highlights that exhibit this problem are actual light sources. For example, take some shots in a bar at nght and there tends to be an extra thick glow around things like EXIT signs, etc. Again, this problem goes away by f/3.5.

A minor complaint would be the two steps needed to go to manual focus. You have to flip the AF switch and pull the focusing ring back to the manual position. This is a small pain with macro.

If I had payed the going new price of $330 I would not be unhappy with this lens. Whatever the case, the shots I've taken with this lens really don't have too much to complain about, with the exception of the halation/ CA problem in low key shots.

The bokeh on this lens is awesome and rivals that of any Canon lens.

If you find a deal on ebay like I did, I suggest buying it. If you don't like it, put it back up on ebay and get your money back. Also a wide angle lens with some macro ability is nice and no other wides have this. Yes you could put ext tubes on any wide angle, but that's an added step when you might want to lessen the load as well. Until I can afford to drop $1,100 on the Canon 24mm f/1.4L, this lens is the best thing going and has a nice fit amongst my other lenses.

Dec 31, 2006
PeepingTom

Registered: Aug 4, 2006
Review Date: Aug 15, 2006 Recommend? no | Price paid: $320.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Inexpensive & Fast Wide angle prime
Cons:
Lacking overall impact, sharpness, color

As a canon 10D / 20d shooter with crop factor, I needed a fast wide angle solution for low light concerts, weddings etc.

I am disappointed with hand-held results (without a tripod) in low light situations.

If the subject moves, even a tripod will not help. I would rather have an IS lens (or the 16-35 F2.8L at 4 times the price) and have the added flexibility to move about (and hope that you can get off shots when subjects are relatively still)

Yes, it seems inexpensive, but what is the use of an inexpensive lens that you do not use?

Aug 15, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add PeepingTom to your Buddy List

Sigma 24mm f1.8 EX DG Aspherical Macro