Canon Macro Twin Lite MT-24EX

13 72386 Jun 5, 2009
9.2
MT24EX_1_

Twin-head macro flash unit, for directional lighting in close-up photography with full E-TTL automatic flash control.
Each head can be rotated around lens in an 80 arc, swiveled inward or outward over a 90 arc, and swiveled up and down over a 90 arc.
Each head is removable, and has both a standard shoe-mount and 1/4-20 female tripod socket at the base to facilitate mounting off-camera.
Powerful guide number (72 ft/22m) allows smaller apertures and greater depth-of-field when necessary.
Full E-TTL automatic flash control with compatible EOS bodies
E-TTL features include FE Lock, FP (high-speed) sync, ratio control of A:B flash heads over a six-stop range, and Wireless E-TTL control of off-camera 550EX and/or 420EX Slave Units.
Incandescent focusing lamps, and two different types of 1-second modeling flash allow easy focusing and previewing of lighting effects.
Mounts directly onto Canon EF Macro lenses: EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro, and MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1 5x Macrophoto.
Attaches with accessory ring Macro Lite Adapter 72C to EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro.

eL Philippe

Registered: Jan 8, 2009
Review Date: Jun 5, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $666.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Endless configuration possibilities. Excellent Light Compensation. Fits directly to the EF-S 60mm USM and MP-E 60mm.
Cons:
The PRICE. Missing possibility to fix the flash head cables.

Since I was more and more getting into the world of macro, I discovered the limited capabilites of my equipment within natural light.

First I thought to buy the MR-14EX ringflash but dalantech recommended me the MT-24EX for various very plausible reasons ( http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/648566/1 ) and I must say that I'm pleased with this flash.

I'm currently using it with an EOS 50D, an EF-S 60mm USM, which does not require any adapter to fix the flash, and an EF 25 II extention tube. The MT-24EX gives me the ability to use the full extend of my lense's potential, even in complete darkness, due to the search lamps on the flash heads.

If you plan to get the MP-E 65mm, this flash is a must.

Apart from the astronomic price, there are the cables which wobble in the air and did drive away some very interesting insects, so I hat to fix them with a removable 'velcro belt' around the fixation point of the flash and my eos.

Another negative but necessary aspect is the added weight. My hardware now weights 2000 gramms. Well, it's not really a negative point but I just felt to communicate this fact.

Here are some examples:

EF-S 60mm + MT-24EX @ FEC 0 :

EF-S 60mm + MT-24EX @ FEC -1 + EF 25II:

EF-S 60mm + MT-24EX @ FEC 0 + EF 25II (no crop):

---

I hope this was of use for someone,

Greetings,

Philippe

Jun 5, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add eL Philippe to your Buddy List
Flake_1

Registered: Mar 22, 2009
Review Date: Mar 22, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: Very versatile lighting makes macro easy
Cons:
inflexible mounting, old design, strains extending lenses

This is a lovely solution to lighting for close up and macro but it's an opportunity missed by Canon.

The flash heads are detachable from the ring mount, which appears to only fit 58mm Canon lenses orther lenses are supported with adaptor rings in 52, 58 & 72mm but the popular 77mm L lens standard is not supported. This is a pity because the flash is an expensive piece of equipment, and all that would be needed is a second ring mount in that size.

I do a lot of close up work and like to use a zoom such as the 24 - 70mm f/2.8 L being able to use this flash with it would be great but I can't Sad Equally with a guide of 24 it should be possible to use this as a portrait flash, it's really frustrating to think that this is only being held back by Canon not making a suitable ring mount! I am aware that there are third party mounts being offered, but these are expensive.

It's a lot of money if you're going to be limited to Macro lenses, but if you shoot a lot or you have an MP-e 65mm then it's more or less essential.

Mar 22, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Flake_1 to your Buddy List
brightondale

Registered: Jan 20, 2006
Review Date: Sep 23, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $690.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: ratio control, good concept for a macro flash (but see cons), nice case, nice adaptor (but see cons), decent amount of power if only using as a supplemental light source
Cons:
price, E-TTL doesn't seem to work on Powershot Pro 1, adaptor limited to smaller filter size lenses for EOS cameras, not enough flash power if using as a primary light source or with a teleconverter or at f/11 or smaller, short tether on flash guns; why not wireless like Nikons version?

NO MATTER HOW OLD THIS POST IS
***PLEASE RESPOND***

I know this website doesn't deal with point and shoots, but I thought I'd post here as well as the others about this issue I've got with my Powershot Pro 1.

I've had the Pro 1 for about 3+ years now. I've shot over 4,000 images with it. This camera is on par with my new 10mp Rebel with EFS 17-55 f/2.8 IS. The Pro 1 is truly the best compact Canon has ever made. I bought the later setup (almost $2,000) in hopes it would blow the Pro 1 out of the water. Not so. Granted the EOS setup will do many things the Pro 1 won't.

Now for the problem I am having with the Pro1:

I've also got a Macro Twin Lite MT-24EX. I bought this long before I bought the Pro 1 (to use with EOS film cameras, then a Canon 10D). Only recently have I tried to use the MT-24EX on the Pro 1. I bought the special adaptor to use the mounting ring which comes with the MT-24EX on the end of the lens. Problem is all my shots are way BLOWN OUT; very bad. It seems like no camera or flash setting can reslove this. The E-TTL system, if is truly using E-TTL which I think it's not, should compensate and create perfect exposures. I've tried every combination imagineable.

There aren't any incompatiblity issues to be found on the net or by calling Canon.

I would like to hear from users who have tried this same setup or people that have true technical knowledge of this setup.

Sep 23, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add brightondale to your Buddy List
Hacker

Registered: Feb 24, 2006
Review Date: May 4, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $690.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Ease of use, high build quality, wireless function.
Cons:
Not flexible, expensive.

Great piece of HW that every macro photographer will love. Mates with my Canon 180mm via the 72C adapter. Build quality is high when compared to other similiar twin flashes from other makers. The modeling lights are very easy to use and have ratios also!

The thing I dislike is the fact that the twin flashes cannot be changed with the ring flash. The heads cannot be swopped. Unlike say the Olympus macro flashes, it is not designed with modular flexibility in mind. For Canon, you have to purchase both flashes when only the heads are different.

Overall, nice piece of HW but expensive and inflexible.

May 4, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Hacker to your Buddy List
tasos_at

Registered: Aug 22, 2005
Location: Greece
Review Date: Dec 12, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: precisely this needs the photograph makro
Cons:
little heavy and expensive

here with the lens efs 60.with f25 &f32

Dec 12, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add tasos_at to your Buddy List
troutmask

Registered: Sep 22, 2004
Review Date: Aug 14, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: controlable lighting for macro, powerfull
Cons:
Expesive

I enjoyed the moans from the bloke who complains that this flash won't fit his non canon lenses! Can't he read?
I use this flash with Canons 100m macro (one of the lenses its made for); I also use it with the Canon 200m f2.8 and various extension tubes. Although it wasn't made for this lens, the adapter designed for the 180mm macro fits any lens with a 72mm filter thread. As my camera has a 1.3 crop (EOS 1D mk II) it dosn't obscure the sensor although I think it might on a full frame sensor.
I brought this to replace the ring flash as I had become increasingly disasified with the flatness of the light from that unit.
It is a wonderful piece of kit, allowing more or less total control of lighting for any subject. I don't think it could really be bettered.
However it is very expensive in the UK so buy it from Hong Kong.
As with all canon flash units it seems very fragile compared to the build quality of the cameras and lenses, yet I havn't managed to break it (yet!) and it gets a lot of use in all sorts of situations where breakages could occure..it maybe tougher than it looks. It also takes a lot of power to recharge it and really needs a better battery system as standard (this applies to all Canon flash units)

Aug 14, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add troutmask to your Buddy List
JimH.

Registered: May 11, 2005
Review Date: May 17, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Ease of use, convenience, performance, flexibility, results. Wonderful! The range of adjustments for position and ratio between the flash heads is a joy.
Cons:
The price is high and the operation of the modelling lights is irritating. But this is a niggle, see below.

Disregard what mahgnitton posted. The system is designed to attach to only a few lenses directly and for the others, one needs a special adaptor that screws into the filter ring.

Attached to the EF-S 60mm macro or the MP-E65, the attachment ring is both secure and appropriately rugged. I've mashed the flashes and the mounting ring up against things while using it and frequently use the mounting ring as a hand-grip while shooting. It's solid as a rock yet can be easily positioned as required due to the careful design and good implementation of the mounting system.

I'm actually surprised that the unit would even appear to attach to a "non supported" lens without using the adaptor.

I bought this flash when I bought the MP-E65. This was a very good choice. That lens/flash combination makes 1X-5X macro photography almost too easy. The results are outstanding and the convenience is most welcome.

My nits with the modeling lights are:

The lamps should be LEDs these days. Higher brightness, lower power consumption, and longer lamp and battery life would result. It's kind of ironic to have such a high-tech device and find that the lamps are incandescent bulbs Smile

There should be an option to turn the lamps on and *leave them on*! Having them immediately extinguish after each shot is so aggravating that I end up taping a separate LED flashlight to the rig to give me decent "full time" illumination.

I think I'll wear out the "half-press" position on my shutter switch from banging on it incessantly to try to get and keep the lights on Smile

But the fact that they thought of and included such lights at all is wonderful. They are a necessity when using the MP-E65.

Having said all of that, I really do hate to dwell on the negative at all. This is such an outstanding piece of gear that I highly recommend it. Two well-illuminated thumbs up!

May 17, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add JimH. to your Buddy List
Shaitan

Registered: Dec 2, 2005
Review Date: Feb 1, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: great compact package, adjustable flash-heads, possible use as a master flash unit
Cons:
price ...

I bought this flash unit as a necessary accesory for my MPE-65mm macro lens.

The combo of the two is really impresssive (still have to practive both of them handheld).

Feb 1, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Shaitan to your Buddy List
Michael-M

Registered: Apr 21, 2002
Review Date: Nov 6, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $650.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: excellent fit to Canon macro lens, flexibility, ease of use, ETTL is flawless, makes Macro easier than ever, and says "precision" all over it.
Cons:
none at all

the decision to get this light over the MR-14 was tough at first, then i tried both. the MT-24ex is a must have for anyone who wants to use flash for their Macro shots. this setup is so flexible it's unreal. almost every configuration is at your fingtips for almost any shot you want. it does not add much weight, and is so well built, you definately get your moneys worth.
right out of the box, the MT-24 says "precision baby", and Canon really thought this flash out for the Macro shooter.

Nov 6, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Michael-M to your Buddy List
mbailey

Registered: Apr 12, 2005
Review Date: Nov 3, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $650.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Attaches securely to lens. Provides adjustable, reliable, and even illumination to subject area. ETTL is great. Weight is resonable. Give an outstanding new dimension to macro photography. Well built.
Cons:
Its expensive.

This device is simply an epiphany for macro photography. I use this for all my macro shots that are taken in less than direct sunlight. The flash just is so good at evening out illumination and lowering shadows. It also just makes colors pop. It is very powerful thus allowing higher fs to be used in macro shots. It allows me to use the camera hand-held for quicker shot acquisition and more chances to get a keeper from a frequently moving creature.
It requires an adapter for most lenses including my 180mm Canon macro. It attaches very securely through the adapter. The individual in the review below obviously needs the adapter so I would take that criticism with a grain of salt.
If you are serious about macro photography and dont mind spending the $,dont hesitate on this one. You will see great results immediately!

Nov 3, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mbailey to your Buddy List
mahgnitton

Registered: Jan 30, 2004
Review Date: Jan 10, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $650.00 | Rating: 4

Pros: Actual Flash unit and Flash Heads are very well constructed and the choice of angles/position is very good.
Cons:
The Ring attachment is Very Cheap and Tacky, I do not own a Canon Macro so attached it to a 50mm Canon lens and it pops off by it's own weight at any angle over 20 degrees down.

An Exellent Purchase and well worth the money for Macro photography, but not worth it if bought from Britain, Bought off Ebay for $650 which was about 346 but to buy in Britain it's around 650 which is $1,218 Sad Like I said above a Major Gripe for me is the poor quality of the Ring attachment and I know it's Canon but I would have liked Support for Macro Lenses not made by Canon!

I have a 100mm Cosina and a 180mm Sigma, Neither of which can hold the Ring and I don't fancy paying over the odds for a Canon Macro, My only option is to buy one or make do with Bars off a Tripod to hold the Flash Heads which will restrict Rotation.

Very good if you already own a Canon Macro or are planing to purchase one but beware of weak attachement ring which threatens to damage the flash heads if it pops off

Jan 10, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mahgnitton to your Buddy List
Keith Wong

Registered: Dec 25, 2003
Review Date: Nov 8, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Superb control of lighting for macro photography. Acts as a master to control multi-flash setup. Modelling lamp. Better build quality than 550EX.
Cons:
All external slaves must be assigned to group C. Maximum lens diameter 72mm.

This flash provides near-ultimate control for macro photography. The twin lamps can be independently positioned around the ring and you can set the angles individually. You can also remove the flashes to mount on a stand provided you don't stretch the coil too far. You light the foreground with this flash, and then use a slave flash (I use my 550EX) set to group C to light the background.

It is obvious that Canon designers paid attention to ergonomics. The control unit is angulated forward so that you can use an angle finder without your head bumping into the flash unit (as is the case with my 550EX mounted on the hotshoe). There is a dedicated RATIO button (as on the ST-E2) that permits easy setting of flash ratios. On the 550EX, you need multiple button presses to set flash ratios. There is a dedicated modelling lamp button although the modelling lamp is not quite bright enough with even a mild degree of ambient light. The buttons are slightly larger and easier to press than a 550EX, although I would prefer if there was a more positive "click" and if they were backlit. This flash is constructed more solidly than the 550EX although you still get a plastic hotshoe.

There is absolutely NO PROBLEM with ETTL automated exposure. All my images are perfectly exposed.

Negatives? The MT24EX comes with a 58mm adapter which will fit the 100/2.8 macro and the 50/2.5 macro. If you use a 180/3.5L macro, you will have to buy the optional 72C adapter. The flash mounts on your lens with the supplied ring. You screw the ring into your lens thread, then attach the MT24EX to it. I would prefer it if Canon made the diameter of the mounting ring larger (up to 77mm) so that you can use it on most other L lenses which have a 77mm front diameter.

If you use the MT24EX as a master, all your slave flashes will have to be assigned to Group C. It will not fire a slave flash assigned to groups A and B, because those are reserved for the built-in twin flashes.

Most people would wonder whether you should buy a MR14EX or a MT24EX. The only advantage of an MR14EX (IMHO of course) is that it will produce a nice ring reflection in the eyes if you use it for portrait photography. The MT24EX will produce more specular highlights. Apart from that, the MT24EX's versatility and extra power blows away the MR14EX.

Nov 8, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Keith Wong to your Buddy List
Ken Tanaka

Registered: Aug 3, 2004
Review Date: Aug 10, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $649.95 | Rating: 10

Pros: -Extreme control of flash exposure and flash ratios. -Can act as a wireless master with Canon's 550EX. -Quick to mount/dismount from camera, easy to pack.
Cons:
Nothing significant

I often do close-up photo work on various products and needed a flexible and packaged solution for using flash on such subjects. Like most folks I considered the MR-14EX ring flash, which is an excellent and less costly unit. But in the final analysis the MT-24EX is the unit that really filled the bill for me.

The freely reposition-able flash heads are terrific for getting your shadows and depth just right. Of course you can control the ratio between the heads. You can also tilt -and- swivel each head independently while they are mounted on the ring. As if that's not enough, you can even dismount one or both heads from the ring and stand-mount them. I actually hand-hold one or both of the heads quite frequently! Setting the camera to a timer shutter release of, say, 10 seconds makes it easy to accomplish this.

Each head also features a focusing lamp, activated from the control unit, for situations in which you need just a bit more light to pull critical focus. The depth-of-focus check button (on the 1D Mark II and 10D) activates a modeling flash burst from the heads (as it does with the 550EX) to enable you to check your shadows and ratio.

As I noted earlier, the MT-24EX can also act as a master unit in a wireless remote flash setup. When using the 550EX as a slave, for example, you have complete control over the 550's output from the MT-24EX.

I should also note that the MT-24EX is compatible with Canon's new E-TTL II flash exposure system as currently found on the 1D Mark II.

In summary the MT-24EX is a pricey close-up/macro flash unit. But it delivers superb value for its price.

One suggestion for new owners: Take plenty of time to carefully read the MT-24EX's manual and to experiment with the unit -before- you really need it on a shoot. The MT-24EX's control system menu is quite different from that of most on-camera flashes and will take some practice to master. It's somewhat analogous to learning to fly a twin engine airplane versus a single-engine plane.

But don't let that scare you! If you need extreme flexibility and control of your close-up flash unit the MT-24EX has your name on it, particularly if you are a Canon shooter.

Aug 10, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Ken Tanaka to your Buddy List

Canon Macro Twin Lite MT-24EX