Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM

354 754326 Jul 16, 2015
ef70-200_28lisu_1_

Incorporating Canonís second generation Image Stabilization technology, this telephoto zoom responds in as little at 0.5 seconds, while providing up to three stops of correction for camera shake. Its AF system has been refined for better response time and tracking speed. And even the new 8-blade circular aperture offers a more pleasing out-of-focus image. Constructed to pro standards, this fast zoom is also highly resistant to dust and moisture, too.

starlights

Registered: Oct 17, 2005
Review Date: Aug 5, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,390.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharpness Sharpness Did I say Sharpness ?!!
Cons:
None whatsoever (some say weight - but once you start seeing the results - it doesnt matter anymore)

I was a non believer as far as the IS lenses went - until i bought this lens, over a decision to buy a no IS version of the same lens.

I am hooked !! This lens is so sharp that i am actually planning to sell my 135 f2, since it seems to just sit in the bag for most times - the IS along with the tack shaprness makes this a killer lens. Now even when shooting hand held in low light, most of my images are keepers - i have gone down to 1/60th at 200mm on this lens and come away with razor sharp images (Using 5D).

Totally recommended - you wont regret it.

Here are a couple of samples from my recent shoot - you be the judge.

http://www.pbase.com/sanjaygitu/image/81831950 (shot at 1/60 s)

Aug 5, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add starlights to your Buddy List
Pablo Vicente

Registered: Apr 24, 2007
Review Date: Aug 4, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Beatiful and very useful background blur / bokeh, it's not like blurring in PS with filters. f/2.8 + IS make it very useful for indoor events and model photography during sunset.Great for extreme close ups and experimenting with DOF.
Cons:
Size, weight, price.People stare as if you're about to launch a space shuttle.

Using the 24-70 all the time, I found myself limited in the focal range, as I like to flatten the perspective a lot shooting portraits and love extreme close ups as well as street photography 'from a distance'.This lens is a real pleasure to work with both in the studio, outdoors and during indoor events, as well as outside playing with the great background blur.

The IS really works and once you've used it, you'll always want it.

greetings,

Pablo

www.pablovicente.com
www.digitalpixels.net
www.retouching.be

Aug 4, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Pablo Vicente to your Buddy List
DLP

Registered: Apr 17, 2007
Review Date: Jul 30, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,500.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Build quality, useable case and tripod ring included.
Cons:
No sharper than f4IS with noticeably more CA

I was so undecided between this lens and the F4 IS varient that I ordered both. The lens is heavier than the specs. My copy with collar and hood tipped the scales at 3# 11 OZ. Nearly a half pound heavier than the specs. Most dissapointing to me was the CA especially at 70mm. IS is a bit of a let down in a side by side comparison with the newer generation F4 IS. The IS on the F4 closes the gap to some degree between the two. I would still recommend this lens but if you have visions of better BQ or IQ simply because the price is higher you may be dissapointed. If you need a fast zoom I'm sure this one will be just the ticket.

Jul 30, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add DLP to your Buddy List
hsw21

Registered: Aug 18, 2005
Review Date: Jul 29, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,599.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Image Quality Build Quality
Cons:
Wish it is a bit cheaper (of course it is just my wishful thinking).

I'm eye-ing this lens for a while, have to wait because of the money (have to save for it) and because of the reviews that says we dont need it, its too heavy, could do the job with F4 version, etc, etc, etc....

One day I have enough money to get it, plus there was rebate program ($100) and my brain also wasn't in 100% normal working condition, so I "accidentally" click the "submit order" button and there you go, I've bought it....

Used it for the first time at the wedding, and yeah, people were right, it was too heavy, after just an hour holding it, my left hand becomes so shaky, but I got great result on that day though...
So, conclusion, it gives great result, but weight is a little bit of an issue for me.

Used it again for second time at different wedding, this time prepared better than the last one.
I was able to get even better result than the last time and my hand is not to tired anymore.

BTW, I also have the F4 non IS version and love it too because of the result and the lightweight, but the F2.8 IS is more preferable because it looks better (more "real PRO" like), image quality (I love both result from F4 and F2.8 IS), bokeh and lower light capability when needed OR in my case I can use my F4 if the wedding is outdoor and use the F2.8 IS if its indoor.

Conclusion, I have no regret buying it.
I love the lens, I love the result, I'm happy with it.

Jul 29, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add hsw21 to your Buddy List
Brian Mitchell

Registered: Jun 7, 2007
Review Date: Jul 26, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,400.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: build quality, good range, wide aperture.
Cons:
weight, cost

A great lens, with a very good build quality and range. It works well with a 1.4x or 2x extender. Some of my better photos with it are here:

But, then, this lens is also a brick! It is really too heavy to carry around on a regular basis. So think hard about why you want to use it. If it is for day-light outdoor shots then go with the f/4.0 version. Its cheaper, much lighter, and you'll carry it more often.

Jul 26, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Brian Mitchell to your Buddy List
FatBoyAl

Registered: Sep 4, 2005
Review Date: Jul 23, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build, AF speed, Bokeh, even the hood...
Cons:
Weight

So now I've owned all the 70-200's except the non-IS 2.8 version. To me, this was the pinnacle of the model. Sure, on forums you read that the non-IS version is a bit sharper, but not in most print sizes. This is the lens you want if you want to have it all. The only advantage you'll be missing out on is lightweight. The f4IS version is so sharp you can cut cheese with it and half the weight. But you can't get the bokeh - or in low-light - the shots with the f4 version, IS or no.
This thing is built like all products costing this much should be. When you think about it - and I don't suggest doing that - you could buy a hot tub for what this bad boy costs.
Anyway, out in the field or under the canopy of trees, in a studio or the confines of an auditorium, this lens performs. Once you've used it, you start to notice it everywhere. On TV you'll see it on the news, commercials - everywhere. There's a reason for that. It's simply the choice for pros.
One other thing, while you'll hear tell of 100-400's and 16-35's and many other lenses going in for calibration or front-back focusing, you just don't hear that much going wrong with this lens. Canon has it all together for this one.
If you can spring for it, there is no substitute. Period.

Jul 23, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add FatBoyAl to your Buddy List
Breitling65

Registered: May 31, 2006
Review Date: Jul 22, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,599.99 | Rating: 9

Pros: Excellent zoom lens, fast and good build.
Cons:
Expensive, heavy, not as sharp with F2.8. After using L primes become useless since not up to the level.

I used this lens for 18 month and sold, not because something was wrong. Main reason - I prefer primes and quality I am getting from primes. Even superb zoom as this lens can't beat prime.
Still good lens in my opinion, extremely popular among professionals.

Jul 22, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Breitling65 to your Buddy List
factoryphoto

Registered: Jul 5, 2004
Review Date: Jul 20, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great workhorse lens, works well in low light, af is very fast.Color is 2nd to none its what I expect from Canon "L" line
Cons:
Nothing at all

Ive used this lens for 3 years now and it has been my work horse lens for motoxand a basic all around lens.I prefer shooting with primes but this lens is simply an amazing piece of equipment. The colors and contrast are beautiful and it works very well in low light conditions. IS is a must for me shooting 1200 photos in 4 hours means im running half the time and the IS makes up for my shakiness. I think any nov-pro photog should have this lens in there arsenal it's the best all around lens IMHO.
www.factoryphoto.com

Jul 20, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add factoryphoto to your Buddy List
HMZRHS

Registered: Apr 10, 2007
Location: Brunei
Review Date: Jul 19, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Good for Low Light Photography
Cons:
Weight.
Jul 19, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add HMZRHS to your Buddy List
David W.

Registered: Feb 19, 2004
Review Date: Jul 13, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent lens, good for low light.
Cons:
On the heavy side, but when travelling I take my EF 85 f1.8 instead.

I looked at all of Canon's 70-200 L lenses. I liked the 70-200 f2.8 L IS the best. I sometimes use the 1.4X extender with it.

Jul 13, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add David W. to your Buddy List
Andreas Petter

Registered: Jul 9, 2007
Review Date: Jul 9, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros:
Cons:

Question: I have ordered the 70-200 2.8 IS lens and a 2xII teleconverter from Canon. I will receive it during the week and will update a review. Currently I have read both good and bad reviews about the combination of the lens and TC. I almost ordered a 100-400 L lens from Canon but decided to get the 70-200+TC instead. I want more versatility. I like taking photos of people, landscapes etc but rarely birds. Any feedback would be great to help me. Thank you!

Jul 9, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Andreas Petter to your Buddy List
Lammer

Registered: Jun 27, 2006
Review Date: Jul 5, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: IS that works, very sharp, i like the white colour, nice weight
Cons:
Just a very bit soft on the 70 end, and its pricey, but I knew that going in, I dont like that the paint comes off

I had this lens for a while now and let me say. It-is-AWESOME.
1) The IS actually works. I had the 28-135... I was like "is this thing broken? IS is useless". Now I see the true potential of IS. And it rocks.
2) It was tack sharp. I have a split screen installed on my camera and it aligns always. I can always touch up with full time manual as well.
3) You must be as thin as chicken bones if you think this is heavy. I just turned 17 and I can hand hold this for days. I think the weight is very nice. There are people hand holding 400mm L, I think you can manage this baby.
4) Its white! I love the colour lol.

The only thing I REALLY have against these L lenses is how the paint likes to chip near the tripod collar. Ive used several other white L lenses before, and they all seem to have paint chips on the tripod collar. If only canon can include touch up paint with every purchase lol.

Jul 5, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Lammer to your Buddy List
Steven Everitt

Registered: Mar 5, 2007
Review Date: Jul 4, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Everything really, Speed of AF and Bokeh are fantastic
Cons:
I guess after a while the weight is very noticable but I will just try and work out in the gym a bit more!

I must have read more or less every review on this forum when I was deciding whether to buy either 70-200 or 100-400 and it is with great pleasure I can now sit here and write my own review on the 70-200! I bought it specifically for my recent trip to Tanzania along with a 2x extender. Being 2.8 through out the range meant a constant 5.6 with the extender, a major factor in my choice.

I wonít bore you to much apart from saying that everyone who said it is an excellent lens is right! I am now reviewing over 2000 pictures from my trip and I am over the moon with my results (if I do say so myself). Some of the birds are still a bit far away in the frame and a bit further reach would have been better for them, but that is something for the future. The lens gives perfect mid-range access for me!

If you are unsure - buy it! You wonít be disappointed!

Jul 4, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Steven Everitt to your Buddy List
msuben

Registered: Feb 1, 2004
Review Date: Jun 22, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: The IS really helps with slow shutter speeds, solid feel and built to last. I have seen a few reviews in forums that say it is soft at 2.8 but I'm getting great shots wide open. I sold a few primes to get this lens and have no regrets. I like the flexibilty of the zoom and was tired of constantly changing lenses.

Jun 22, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add msuben to your Buddy List
paknip

Registered: Dec 28, 2005
Review Date: Jun 21, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast, sharpness, aperture, well-built, IS is excellent and it's WHITE!

Jun 21, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add paknip to your Buddy List
ivyinvestor

Registered: Mar 17, 2006
Review Date: Jun 19, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,415.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Aperture, bokeh, build, value, useful hood.
Cons:

It's all been said, so I'm not going to repeat, ad infinitum. Simply put: I bought this lens for mid-field reach at weddings and corporate events, as well as for portraits. If need be, I shoot it wide open at ISO 1600 on a 30D and am consistently overjoyed with the results.

Jun 19, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ivyinvestor to your Buddy List

Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM