Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM

353 743573 May 9, 2014
ef70-200_28lisu_1_

Incorporating Canon’s second generation Image Stabilization technology, this telephoto zoom responds in as little at 0.5 seconds, while providing up to three stops of correction for camera shake. Its AF system has been refined for better response time and tracking speed. And even the new 8-blade circular aperture offers a more pleasing out-of-focus image. Constructed to pro standards, this fast zoom is also highly resistant to dust and moisture, too.

Page:  20 · 21 · 22 · 23  next

Scott Ranger

Registered: Jan 19, 2002
Review Date: Jul 9, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,695.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp results and very fast focus
Cons:
none!

I bit the bullet and bought this lens and the 2x II converter for my Africa trip. Figured spending so much to go there demanded a comparable lens. My wife's still not happy, even after seeing the results, which she loves. She just can't see payng so much for anything!

The most amazing thing to me is the speed with which it focuses--wow! I have a nice little stable of Canon and Tamron lenses and this just outperforms them all for speed of focus. The sharpness is right up there with my 100 mm macro, and I can't tell much difference with the 2x II converter.

It handled wonderfully for handheld shots from the Land Cruiser at Chobe NP, Botswana where a tripod would simply not have been an option for me. The IS is incredible for shooting from the vehicle.

This is a no-brainer lens: go buy it!

Jul 9, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Scott Ranger to your Buddy List
Brendan Getchel

Registered: Jun 14, 2003
Posts: 1990
Review Date: Jul 2, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,579.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Rocket-fast AF speed, "third-generation" IS works wonders, critically sharp when stopped down 1-2 stops, contrasty, Bokeh is simply superb.
Cons:
Soft(er) with noticeably light fall-off wide open. Not the best-handling zoom in its range. Flare prone. Pricey.

In a nutshell, if you're a Canon shooter, BUY THIS LENS! It's big, relative to the slow, whimpy consumer zooms like the 28-135/IS, but not overly so (I don't find it large at all, personally). Utilizing Canon's latest-generation IS technology, this zoom can render acceptably sharp handheld images at 200mm all the way down to 1/30s -- reasonably. Below that and it becomes hit-or-miss, but it's still remarkable nonetheless.

It's sharp and maintains high contrast throughout the zoom range at f/4 and above -- with f/5.6 - f/11 being the "sweet spot." ~135mm seems to render the sharpest, with 200mm next and 70mm bringing up the rear. At f/2.8 is is noticeably softer at all focal lengths, but still very strong if you need the speed. Vignetting is very noticeably at f/4 and below, so if you're shooting light, continuous-tone backgrounds (the sky, for instance) keep this in mind as it is a nuisance and will ruin some shots. At f/5.6 virtually all imperfections evaporate and this zoom becomes prime-sharp, or close to it, throughout its range.

Until Nikon's recent introduction of their competing 70-200/2.8G AF-S VR, the Canon 70-200/2.8L IS USM was the preeminent 35mm zoom in this range -- period. Owning both, I can say that the new Nikon is superior in just about every facet and handles much better. However, considering Canon released this lens in 2001, and it took Nikon nearly two years to answer, who knows what's up Canon's sleeve for a response.

It will prove interesting -- no doubt.

Jul 2, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Brendan Getchel to your Buddy List
DwayneNelson

Registered: Jun 30, 2003
Review Date: Jun 30, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp and fast with great color.
Cons:
It's heavy.

Great outdoors for catching action. I haven't noticed any softness or lack of color at any of the aperatures or focal lengths. I have also used it at it's "wide" end for portraits. It's very sharp and impressive.

Jun 30, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add DwayneNelson to your Buddy List
John57

Registered: Jun 13, 2003
Review Date: Jun 24, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,570.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp images Quick and reliable autofocus Build IS
Cons:
Weight Attracts attention Cost

I bought this lens recently after reading so many good reviews.... and I can only agree with everyone else's comments. Yes it's heavy, white and costs alot but the results I have had so far show me what a quality bit of kit it is! I bought a converter to use with it and don't regret either purchase - a super lens.

Jun 24, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add John57 to your Buddy List
gervaise

Registered: Apr 9, 2002
Review Date: Jun 21, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,650.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: I love this lens which has become my favorite of the Canon L lenses I own. It is so sharp and it works well as a macro, too. Cannot think of any way Canon could improve it other than reduce its weight. Works well with my 1Ds and the D60, both, but it is easie to use with the 1Ds because of the balance of the two together.
Cons:
Like I said, just make it lighter weight but exactly the same design and quality.

Unless you are really short of $$, this is well worth the difference in cost over other available lenses.
I am sure that purists would say you get better quality with primes, but wants to carry three primes in this same range, plus the 1.4 extender which I often use with it.
Must be the best lens Canon makes, because it surely makes me look good as a photographer.

Jun 21, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add gervaise to your Buddy List
socratease

Registered: May 8, 2003
Review Date: Jun 18, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast and sharp optics. Focuses quickly. IS works well.
Cons:
Heavy, draws attention, expensive.

This is the most expensive lens in my kit, I bought it based on the rave reviews here and elsewhere. After shooting two stage events with it (and my 10D), I can't imagine using anything else. Indoors, outdoors, day or night, it got the pictures I wanted in available light and hand-held. Excellent colors and great sharpness: I can tell the time of the shot because I can read the wristwatch on the performer.

Jun 18, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add socratease to your Buddy List
Dave Hughes

Registered: Sep 11, 2002
Review Date: Jun 3, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: A sharp fast lens with IS.
Cons:
None yet.

This is my favorite lens followed by the 24-70.

Jun 3, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Dave Hughes to your Buddy List
hugoso

Registered: Jul 18, 2002
Review Date: May 27, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,650.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: IS, IS, IS !!! Very sharp at around 135mm even wide open, or from f4.5 or smaller apertures
Cons:
a bit soft wide open at both end, definitely not comparable to primes. heavy and big!

Optical performance of its 135mm is comparible to the 135mm/2. The IS enable me to take a reasonable clear shot at 1/30s and 400mm (Kenko pro300 2XTC).

May 27, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add hugoso to your Buddy List
christo™

Registered: Apr 20, 2003
Review Date: Apr 21, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,650.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: F-A-S-T AF, good low light AF, quiet, IS makes handholding in less than full sunlight easier
Cons:
will make you not so happy about your previous favorite lens

The fastest AF lens I've ever used. No weird image abberations This lens was a big factor in convincing me to move to Canon. Beware first time use of IS handholding this lens -- the IS may fool your instincts. It fooled me the first time I used it -- I was used to seeing the camera shake at 200mm, and that kept me warned to watch the shutter.

This lens feels perfect on my EOS 3 with PB-E2. It feels awkward on the 10D alone, but OK with PB-E3. If you're going to walk around with it a lot as I do, I recommend the E1 handstrap (if you have a battery pack): you don't want this tank hanging off the neck strap and banging your midrif. This is an A-1 sideline sport lens.

I wish Canon had an equal lens in 28-105 or so range.

If you are feeling ambivalent about this lens just now, just go buy it -- this lens is never going to be in the "fire sale junk -- no bids" list on eBay.

Apr 21, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add christo™ to your Buddy List
marksct

Registered: Nov 3, 2002
Review Date: Apr 9, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast AF, Quiet, Great Images.
Cons:
Easy to turn off AF with left thumb.

I use this mostly hand held where IS pays off. Excellent quality photos.

Apr 9, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add marksct to your Buddy List
freestyle

Registered: Mar 10, 2002
Review Date: Apr 8, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,699.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Super sharp, fast, great colors & contrast.
Cons:
None. Don't wait or delay. Just buy it!!

This lens quickly became my favorite. It's a super sharp, fast lens and the IS is the icing on the cake. Your shots will be sharp with great contrast & colors. Don't even hesitate to buy this lens if you are trying to decide. I love it and you will too.

freestyle

Apr 8, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add freestyle to your Buddy List
Guy Mancuso

Registered: Mar 22, 2003
Review Date: Apr 3, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,800.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Extremely Fast Focus and sharp as a tack
Cons:

I just moved over from the Nikon lens world and this lens is a by far the fastest and sharpest lens in it's class

Apr 3, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Guy Mancuso to your Buddy List
Kelvin K

Registered: Apr 7, 2002
Review Date: Apr 1, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Very fast & silent focus. Superb build quality. Image quality (sharpness, contrast & bokeh) is top class. IS really work!
Cons:
Price & weight.

This is my first Canon L & IS len. After using it for few weeks, I still can't put it down. It is an excellent len. No regret buying it.

Apr 1, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Kelvin K to your Buddy List
Jack Flesher

Registered: Oct 23, 2002
Review Date: Apr 1, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,600.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharp, great focus speed for its size, and LOVE the IS!
Cons:
Heavy, Not quite up to the imaging qualtiy of the primes it replaces

If you need this range of focals you cannot miss with this lens. My copy with the 2xII converter attached outperformed my 100-400 IS over the same ranges, so I sold the 100-400.

Apr 1, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews View gallery Add Jack Flesher to your Buddy List
stan_g

Registered: Jan 8, 2002
Review Date: Mar 31, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, fast AF, IS
Cons:
size/weight

Even better than the non-IS version. Works well with Canon 1.4 extender.

Mar 31, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add stan_g to your Buddy List
Jeff

Registered: Dec 31, 2002
Review Date: Mar 30, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,729.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fantastic image quality
Cons:
Heavy as a brick!

I formally used wide to moderate tele zooms most of the time, but this lens has become my favorite. The IS works incredibly well, and since this is a lens that is so often handheld, it is invaluable. Works great with the 1.4x TC II, too.

Mar 30, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Jeff to your Buddy List

Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM