Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM

353 741928 May 9, 2014
ef70-200_28lisu_1_

Incorporating Canonís second generation Image Stabilization technology, this telephoto zoom responds in as little at 0.5 seconds, while providing up to three stops of correction for camera shake. Its AF system has been refined for better response time and tracking speed. And even the new 8-blade circular aperture offers a more pleasing out-of-focus image. Constructed to pro standards, this fast zoom is also highly resistant to dust and moisture, too.

Page:  20 · 21 · 22 · 23  next
luckyjon

Registered: Sep 30, 2004
Location: Qatar
Review Date: Nov 9, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,599.95 | Rating: 10

Pros: Just so great in every respect with AWESOME results
Cons:
None (weight and size is not any problem)

After many hours of trying to decide if I could warrant myself spending so much for this lens, I can only say that its worth every cent.
I'm so excited with the results.

Nov 9, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add luckyjon to your Buddy List
Lunatique

Registered: Jul 10, 2003
Review Date: Oct 24, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Solid build. IS really works.
Cons:
Big and heavy, especially with the lenshood.

The IS really works, but it will not stop subjects in motion. I've also found that it's quite hard to get the right area in focus with this lens at the long end--which is always the case once you get into the longer focal lengths. I haven't been as impressed with this lens as I thought I would be, or maybe I had too high of an expectation for it before I bought it. I'll add more to this review if my feelings change down the line.

Oct 24, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Lunatique to your Buddy List
lgf516

Registered: Dec 5, 2003
Review Date: Oct 1, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,489.50 | Rating: 10

Pros: fast, accurate focus. Great IS. A joy to work with. Very nice optics to boot. Built like a brick outhouse with the metal case! I cannot complain spending the kind of money for this quality.
Cons:
Well.....ummm,...let me see.....oh yeah, it's heavy! So now I get some excerise.

What a powerhouse. I use this lense much more often than I thought I would. The IS is alarming. You push the shutter button half way to activate and you here that faint click as the slight shaking in your hand vanishes from the viewfinder!

I have used this for bird photography (yes, I know it isn't powerful enough for most, but I got lots of birds in my backyard). Great for outdoor work freehand. Wonderful for getting flower shots from afar!. I have also caught some great Bar Mitzvah shots.

The optics are so clear on this! I only wish my 10D was built as strong as this lense. A stellar piece of equipment. Autofocus is excellent but in many of my shots, I need the fine touch of manual focus, this thing is a dream. Smooth action and very precise!

IMHO it is well worth the price tag!

Oct 1, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add lgf516 to your Buddy List
anderson

Registered: Dec 18, 2002
Review Date: Sep 5, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: SHARP!!! Image stabilization. Weather sealed. SHARP!!!
Cons:
Heavy. Expensive (normally)

I originally had the 70-200 non-IS lens and loved it. About a year ago, Dell made a pricing mistake and I managed to get this lens at less than the non-IS version cost!! I kept both for a few months, comparing, but eventually let go of the non-IS version. I believe that the non-IS version may have been a touch sharper ... but with the IS, I was able to have very sharp pictures hand-held. This lens is still incredibly sharp ... I believe that it is sharper than my 28-70 @ 70 mm and that is saying something!! It is so good that the images are still spectacular when used with the 1.4x teleconverter. I also like this lens for macro with a 500D on the front. Beautiful bokeh and gives me about 24" of working distance. An excellent lens. Every Canon user should strive to get one in their bag.

Sep 5, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add anderson to your Buddy List
eelco

Registered: Jun 24, 2004
Review Date: Aug 31, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,575.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Lens quality is very good (sharp), good contrast, very fast autofocus.
Cons:
Heavy (even though you know what you buy), buttons on lens get chanced when you hold it sometimes, ERR 01 because of bad contacts or whatever on a 10D (very annoying for a $1700 lens).

I wanted this soo bad. I have it know, paid the enormous price and really love the built and the quality of the lens when shooting. I was somewhat dissapointed by the fact that it's locks up on the 10D sometimes. I also dislike the easy shifting from the IS/AF buttons, they could be harder or on a different place.

Overall.. You just want one and it makes beautiful pictures but with the disadvantages I was a bit dissapointed.. Would I buy it again? Probably yes, there is simply no alternative that good... for Canon that is..

Aug 31, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add eelco to your Buddy List
Review Date: Aug 10, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: IS and the sharp images.
Cons:
Bit heavy and $$$

I frequently use the 1.4X with this lens since the fstop 4.0 is still good enough. Very fast focusing. Doesn't get hot in sun light because of white colour. IMHO this is the best lens in the range. Ofcourse this is not a kind of spy lens with many 100s of mm,but very good for potraits indeed.
You have to be very careful while mounting the lens, since because of its heavy weight you can scratch the contacts easily.
Although white colour of the lens doesn't let it warm in the sunlights but makes people attentive very easily.
I am very happy with this lens.

Asad

Aug 10, 2004
Review Date: Aug 10, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: IS and the sharp images.
Cons:
Bit heavy and $$$

I am very happy with this lens.

Aug 10, 2004
Cecil Walker

Registered: Jan 13, 2002
Review Date: Aug 9, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Ultrasharp, fast autofocus, works great with both 1.4x and 2x Series II teleconverters and excellent in low light!
Cons:
Lens hood is different that the non-IS 70-200mm f/2.8L lens making it impossible to use my old lens hood that already had velcro on it! (just a nit)

I had the non-IS 70-200mm f/2.8L lens before this and used it for a couple of years shooting motorsports. It was my favorite lens and I really had no intention of upgrading to the IS version. My friend talked me into selling it to him and I turned around and bought the IS version for only a couple hundred more than he gave me (it helped that I also bought a 1D Mark II at the same time!). I can't say enough on how well the image stabilization works, both in pan mode (which I use most of the time) as well as in dual mode (vertical and horizontal).

Cecil Walker
Pro Motion Photo
www.ProMotionPhoto.com

Aug 9, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Cecil Walker to your Buddy List
eric & his 10D

Registered: Aug 2, 2004
Review Date: Aug 2, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,570.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: love at first sight --
Cons:
waiting for the UPS man

I just ordered this LOVE -- I tried it out at the local camera shop and LOVED the way it balanced on the 10D -- will post an update when I get it!

eric

Aug 2, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add eric & his 10D to your Buddy List
Jaymanpics

Registered: Apr 26, 2004
Review Date: Jul 20, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Handling,quality,fast focusing & IS
Cons:
None bar price

I bought this lens to replace my Sigma 70-200 EX HSM and can honestly say that image quality is in my eyes - identical.
But.........the canon stands in a class of it's own with the IS function either for slow shutterspeeds when panning or for getting candids at weddings with no flash or tripod.For this latter reason alone I never leave the lens at home when I cover weddings and despite the initial cost I have found it to be good value for money in the no of saleable shots it has produced.

Jul 20, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Jaymanpics to your Buddy List
Finn Magne

Registered: Mar 14, 2004
Review Date: Jul 15, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: The IS works very good and makes the lens very usable in available light conditions without tripoid. Excellent sharpness and contrast, much better on f2,8 than my EF 24-70/2,8L or the EF 17-40/4L on f8!
Cons:
Absolutely nothing, the size and weight goes very well with my EOS-1Ds camera.

The sharpness and contrast is excellent and makes it The Best Canon Lens I've ever owned. Because of the IS the images get even sharper than with fixed lenses (when not using tripoid). This is a excellent lens for portraits in available light. Now I can leave my monopod a home! Just one wish (yes, the moon is a yellow cheese...): If the wide setting could go down to 50mm (without any compromise in quality), then I wouldn't have to change lens at all when photographing portraits.

Finn Magne Grande
www.artfoto.no

Jul 15, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Finn Magne to your Buddy List
Review Date: Jul 11, 2004 Recommend? no | Price paid: $100.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: bigger is better? chic magnet
Cons:
heavy & white

People people, listen up, pay close attention to the 200mm prime lenses. Do they incorporate the IS feature? NO, therefore the IS in this new 70-200 is a marketing scheme. Sorry you burned that extra $400 bucks for nothing...

Jul 11, 2004
Newk

Registered: Apr 23, 2003
Review Date: Jul 1, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,650.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Improved version of the 70-200 f2.8L, and what an improvement!
Cons:
Haven't found any yet.

I've had the non-IS version of this lens since it was introduced. It's been a great lens, but I thought it was time I try Canon's IS technology. Geeeewhilakers! I can't believe how well image stabilization works on this lens!

I probably haven't used this lens long enough to write any kind of review, but I haven't been this excited about a lens in a long time. Now I'm kicking myself for not getting it sooner! The difference is amazing!

Jul 1, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Newk to your Buddy List
BRob

Registered: Jun 25, 2003
Review Date: Jun 30, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp,fast and f2.8, I put off buying this lens for one extra stop, now I wish I had not.Hand held ability is a must sometimes for me and IS is just great.
Cons:
The M AF switch is easily shifted by mistake until you get use to it, did it three times on my first shoot.

This lens is always on a camera dody and goes everywhere with me this combined with the 17-40f4L [and others] is keeping me fit as well as having good lenses

Jun 30, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add BRob to your Buddy List
Scott M

Registered: Jan 19, 2004
Review Date: Jun 25, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,650.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Razor sharp, FAST
Cons:
Price, weight

A truly amazing collection of glass. I have drooled over this lens every time I went to the camera shop, never being able to stop myself from trying it out. If you never have and you are able then you should try it yourself. Or not; you will likely end up like me and hold on as long as you can before finally caving in and paying the price...

Here are some examples (although they are reduced for the web):

And great in low-light:

Jun 25, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Scott M to your Buddy List
btjohnston

Registered: May 20, 2003
Review Date: Jun 17, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Everything! Build quality, image, contrast, colour .. the lot
Cons:
none really, it is heavy but so is gold.

This is my first L series lens.
I was saving for what seemed like forever but finally it was in my hands. I love everything about this lens and realise now, what everyone else was saying about L glass.
This lens is rarely off my 10D.
I'm about to go overseas and this lens will be coming with me, heavy or not.

Jun 17, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add btjohnston to your Buddy List

Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM