Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM

353 739034 Mar 26, 2014
ef70-200_28lisu_1_

Incorporating Canonís second generation Image Stabilization technology, this telephoto zoom responds in as little at 0.5 seconds, while providing up to three stops of correction for camera shake. Its AF system has been refined for better response time and tracking speed. And even the new 8-blade circular aperture offers a more pleasing out-of-focus image. Constructed to pro standards, this fast zoom is also highly resistant to dust and moisture, too.

nahminator

Registered: Dec 17, 2004
Review Date: Jan 28, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,749.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp wide open. Very sharp when stopped down even one stop from wide open. Image Stabilization! Great build quality. Nice case and lens hood.
Cons:
None so far. This is my favorite lens.

This is a beautiful lens. I highly recommend this bad boy.

Jan 28, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add nahminator to your Buddy List
arcticblue

Registered: Jan 7, 2005
Review Date: Jan 23, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, matching prime 135mm @f2.8, Solid build.
Cons:
n/a

This is the 1st Canon lens I am completely satisfied with. I have/had 35mm/1.4, 50mm/1.4, 85mm/1.8, 135mm/2, and tried 16-35, 24-70, and some Tamaron lens, but this is "D" most impressive one. I am newbie in lens, and I am picky about lens with too high expectation usually in terms of sharpness.

I had bad expeience with 16-35 and 24-70, though just because of this 70-200ISlens, I am willing to try one more copy on those lenses before I buy a Sigma or Tamaron one.

For price, I like it lower too, but I know this lens' performance matching its price.

Jan 23, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add arcticblue to your Buddy List
CurtPick

Registered: Nov 21, 2004
Review Date: Jan 19, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,450.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Built like a Tank, Fast f2.8, Sharp Picts, Nice color and contrast
Cons:
Weight like a Tank

I sold my 70-200 f4 for this lens. Thinking hey if the f4 is this easy to carry then the 2.8 IS should be too. Wrong ! This thing weighs a ton ! After several shots with the lens I was very satisfied with the quality. Its fast, Sharp, Contrast is very good. The IS make it a keeper for me. Works well in low light and sports shots. But if you don't need the IS I would not invest the big bucks for this lens. The f4 was a very easy lens to carry but was lacking in speed in low light. This thing will wear you out if you plan on hiking with it because of the weight. Overall great lens. I just wish it was lighter to carry.

Jan 19, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add CurtPick to your Buddy List
Fidaros

Registered: Jan 12, 2005
Review Date: Jan 13, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, IS works well, AF tracks well on stationary targets, f2.8
Cons:
Too heavy, AF hunts in low light and moving objects(even on mode 2)

Took the plunge and bought this beast. Somehow, when I was testing this lens, I didn't seem to mind the weight. But after carrying it for a while, it dawned on me that I might need a lot of weights training before going on an outdoor shoot again. This lens is not only heavy, it's also large, although no in the same league as those 500mm lenses yet.

Another negative is that when I tested this at home, it was in the evening, and lighting was poor. I tried to autofocus on my little kid running about and, wide open, the AF could not focus accurately on him. It just kept hunting, which led me to turn off AF. This was despite the fact that I tried the mode 2 IS, not sure if it's IS conflicting or not.

Negatives aside, this lens is unbelievably sharp. I have this strange unjustified impression that telephoto lenses are never sharp, but this lens changed my mind. The IS works well too, as I could get very sharp photos at 1/60s on 200mm handheld. AF is also very fast when the subject is stationary, which I found to be good. I can quickly setup and get that quick fleeting shot that I might need sometimes.

Good lens, no regrets splurging on this. Just a little weights training and I'm sure this lens will produce many great photos in future.

Jan 13, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Fidaros to your Buddy List
vk2109

Registered: Jan 5, 2005
Review Date: Jan 12, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,699.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Nice Range, Fast F2.8 with nice bokeh, IS, Fast AF,Sharp, Nice Color
Cons:
$$$, Heavy, White Color

This piece of glass is like a rock...A lot of technology in 1.4kg!!!
Produces amazing shots ....The IS is really hepful and allows you to shot at night !!

My best lens

Jan 12, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add vk2109 to your Buddy List
zkdaz

Registered: Sep 9, 2004
Review Date: Jan 11, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Superb optics
Cons:
The obvious (price, weight, etc). Hood, tripod mount, switches.

For most, like me, this will be a first move into L series lenses. It is like nothing you have used before, it out preformes my 20 year old nikon primes in resolution, contrast and colour rendition.

A few minor niggles though, for such well designed optics you would expect the casing and accessories to be well designed.

Lens Hood - very flimsy, nothing like the quality of the ones on their telephoto primes. Also would like to see a hood option for the 1.5 crop of dSLRs as an accessory.

Tripod Collar - perfectly rigid but too close to the lens barrel to use as a carry handle, hence it is always in the way for hand holding. Yes its removable but I use it enough to want to leave it on. It would be nice to see canon tripod collars being arca swiss compatible by default, it only takes two dovetail groves and would save a $50 plate. I suppose I just have to wait for RRS to design an expensive replacement collar.

Switches - biggest design flaw here, why not recess them. It is very easy to knock the AF and IS switches on or off when stowing the lens. It has become habit to check them every time I pick the lens up, though I still miss a few shots because I've knocked them.

Despite all these niggles, I would still recommend this lens as the first real lens anyone considered. I travel a lot and weight means I can not carry lots of primes. It may not be as good as some of the L series primes but it is so much more versatile. And if you cant get superb shots with this lens, it's probably not the lens thatís at fault.

Jan 11, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add zkdaz to your Buddy List
Chrisuk69

Registered: Dec 30, 2004
Review Date: Dec 30, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Makes even a beginner look like a professional. Donít think about getting this lens as your wasting valuable time taking fantastic pictures with this lens. A pleasure to use.
Cons:
I will have to get over looking like a Professional. Big but what do you expect for perfection.

The postman has just dropped off my New Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8 L IS USM Lens this morning. Now I am a very new member to Photography and have been reading up for about 3 months on hat lenses do what. After reading all these comments on this site I decided to take a leap of faith and get this lens. I managed to get a very good second hand one for £750 pounds.

When I got it out of the box I though, this is a big lens, I will look like the over the top father at school sports days with this beast but after taking about 30 shots with it today I donít care if they all through rotten eggs at me and call me names as this lens is just out of this world. If it can make a total beginner look fantastic, what on earth will it do to a photographer how knows a thing or two?

If I was a Millionaire I would offer you all a money back guarantee as I know you will never clam on it.

The background Blur has to be seen to be believed, I had to try and get blur this good using Photoshop but not any more.

I will be putting some of my pictures up to let you look at just to show you the quality of the lens and Canon D20. It must be the gear as I have NO Photography skillsÖÖÖ.YET!!!!

Thanks for all the advice on this site, you have made an English man very happy (and you know how hard that it).

Chris

Dec 30, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Chrisuk69 to your Buddy List
mathemaphoto

Registered: Apr 28, 2004
Review Date: Dec 29, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Amazing optics, Image Stabilization really does work, build quality second to none, tripod collar included.
Cons:
None whatsoever *if* this is the photographic tool you need.

First let me explain my negative comments. I have spoken with several people that are disappointed with some aspect of this lens because they really didn't understand what they were buying. Instead they made their purchase based on an "everyone else loves it, so I better get one" mentality. Save yourself a lot of heartache and dollars by making sure *you* need this lens before you buy it. It is big and heavy, make sure (rent one if you have to) that this lens will "fit in" with your photographic style.

Enough with that, now on to the good stuff.

Optics:
This lens has, hands down, the most impressive image quality I have ever seen. Unless you have a trained eye (i.e. you know what you are looking for) images from this lens equal the 135/2L at the same apertures. When you see the pictures from this lens you will realize why Canon has not released a new prime since 1999. The bokeh this produces at f2.8 is something you have to see to believe. I have yet to do any contrast or saturation post-processing to its pictures.

Build:
As I said, second to none. I've never seen a better built lens. I've seen equals, but none better.

Ergonomics:
Yes, some switches could be better placed / harder to switch to avoid accidental switching. The feel of the zoom and focus rings are just divine. The lens hood does its job, and seems very secure on my copy.

Summary:
All my lenses probably shared an equal amount of "on the camera" time until I got this lens. This is now my de facto standard. If you need a lens with these specs, and can live with its size and weight then you can get no better. But again, there are three very good alternatives (70-200 2.8 non IS / 70-200 f4 / Sigma 70-200 2.8) so do yourself a favor and do a cost-benefit analysis on all four of these lenses before buying any of them. Needless to say, I LOVE this lens.

Dec 29, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mathemaphoto to your Buddy List
mauriceramirez

Registered: Jul 16, 2004
Review Date: Dec 26, 2004 Recommend? no | Price paid: $1,650.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Very impressive to clients. Even validates those who want to look like working pj's. Gets you thru the door at some big events. IS is pretty smooth, unlike Nikon's. Weather resistance is amazing, I could shoot in a torrential downpour in the tropics with no worries (on a 1D body). The pouch is practical, if not pretty. Flare is exceptionally lacking, and I shoot into the sun a lot.
Cons:
Too big and obnoxious for what it is (Nikon's version is 3/4's the size). The hood is ridiculous. Forget about actually being able to shoot anything spontaneously. It vignettes somewhat wide open (compared the Nikon 80-200afs). Not as sharp as any prime--heck, not even close to the 135L/85L. For me a rather boring focal length as well. Forget about traveling light. Too short for wildlife, too long for people.

I would say it's a good lens to shoot postcards with. However, if really great pictures are your goal, buy a wide angle and learn to interact up close with people instead. And for wildlife, a 400 is much more useful, and sharper. And for landscapes, stick to primes, because it's not as sharp or contrasty as it needs to be.
But if you want to have something to use for those times when access is a problem it's fine for that. I just realized I was actually missing real interpersonal opportunities so I sold it. Every wedding shooter has one and frankly I think they need it the least. Oh, yeah and the market demand and resale value on this lens is great!
If a lens could get you chicks, this is it. But, alas, I prefer using my portfolio.

Dec 26, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add mauriceramirez to your Buddy List
rendra

Registered: May 21, 2003
Location: Indonesia
Review Date: Dec 20, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, Fast AF, IS
Cons:
Weight, Size, Eyecatched (white finishing)

Just upgrade from f/4L version since need more for indoor (wedding).
Very usable lens for low light since you can shoot handheld (around 1/15 sec) with sharp pics.

One minor point is white finishing which very eyecatched..

Dec 20, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add rendra to your Buddy List
Digitalpowersh

Registered: Dec 19, 2004
Location: Austria
Review Date: Dec 19, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, f/2,8, IS
Cons:
$$$

Sharp lens, great IS, f/2,8, well built. Great one!

Dec 19, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Digitalpowersh to your Buddy List
John Daniel

Registered: Jun 6, 2004
Review Date: Dec 14, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Extremely fast, tack sharp even with extenders(1.4 and 2.0), my favorite, magnificent bokeh.
Cons:
weight

I have this lens for almost a year. For candid, some landscapes, travel, even birds when they are not too far or with an extender, this lens is a top pro one. The range is also very practical for a multitude of usage.

Focus is extremely fast and precise, IS give you a real break of 2 stops and the bokeh at wide open is really something you have to see. The only dark side would be the weight of the lens, but hey, you have to pay a little for what you get with this lens; after a few days, you get use to it anyway.

Remarkable peace of glass for Canon ! A+

Dec 14, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add John Daniel to your Buddy List
leuphrates

Registered: Oct 18, 2004
Location: Turkey
Review Date: Dec 13, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,650.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Unlike other zooms, it is reasonably sharp at all apertures on all focal lengths.
Cons:
I would love to carry it heavier if it could have a bit more length. (70-300 maybe?)

That's why it is my only zoom lens!

Dec 13, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add leuphrates to your Buddy List
irishgerry

Registered: Dec 6, 2004
Review Date: Dec 6, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: good quality
Cons:
strong wrists required ! bloddy heavy especially tied with a 1ds mark II and a converter

Dec 6, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add irishgerry to your Buddy List
Linda

Registered: Mar 15, 2002
Review Date: Nov 30, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharpness at all f/stops. image stabilization
Cons:
cost

I've been using this lens for close to a year and a half. It is without a doubt the finest zoom I've ever owned. It spends a lot of time attached to the camera and though expensive, I don't lament having spent the money for it.

Nov 30, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Linda to your Buddy List
ElanEnthused

Registered: Oct 11, 2004
Review Date: Nov 13, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Optics, L Series, Image stabilizer is amazing!
Cons:
AF and mode switches easily bumped. Other than that, none!

Received this lens in an error with an online store. Originally asked for the 70-200 f4L. What an upgrade! They let us keep the mistake and it is an absolutely amazing lens. The background blur is beautiful and really makes the subject stand out! So sharp it's scary.

Worth every penny and more Wink

Nov 13, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ElanEnthused to your Buddy List

Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM