Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM

353 742704 May 9, 2014
ef70-200_28lisu_1_

Incorporating Canonís second generation Image Stabilization technology, this telephoto zoom responds in as little at 0.5 seconds, while providing up to three stops of correction for camera shake. Its AF system has been refined for better response time and tracking speed. And even the new 8-blade circular aperture offers a more pleasing out-of-focus image. Constructed to pro standards, this fast zoom is also highly resistant to dust and moisture, too.

ReLe

Registered: Jun 3, 2005
Review Date: Jun 25, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Versatility, AF speed, IS, lowlight capabilities, works sometimes as press pass.
Cons:
Price, image quality wide open.

When I traded my Minolta gear to Canon I was a little disappointed of this lense wide open. My minolta 80-200mm 2.8 G was far more superior in terms of sharpness and contrast wide open. I've read in reviews that non IS is sharper, but you can not beat the IS and all aroud versatility this lens gives. As other reviewers said, sometimes is just essential to get the shot even if it's not prime quality in terms of sharpness. Weight is no suprise if you are familiar with laws of physics. You just can't make light lense with a lot of good glass. Just get a good camera strap with paddings and weight seems to go away...

Jun 25, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ReLe to your Buddy List
BlueJaya

Registered: Jun 15, 2006
Review Date: Jun 15, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, Image Stabilisation, build quality, weight balance camera/lens
Cons:
None found to date...

I recently switched from years of using Nikon equipment (including their fabulous 80-200 ED zoom that I owned and used for close to 20 years), to a full Canon kit (all bought the same day with my bank manager screaming in the background...).

All of the lenses I own are splendid quality but definitely this is the one I enjoy using the most (I will post some shots on www.pbase.com/BlueJaya as soon as they are postprocessed).

As most of the reviewers have indicated before, this lens is well built, easy to handle (a little heavy but it balances well with the camera), sharp to the point of being almost over the top and the IS takes care of those low light situations where you still want to take the shot handheld but the light is not enough for the classic 1/focal length rule.

All in all a splendid piece of kit that I do not expect to upgrade in my lifetime, my kids may do but that's their choice :-)

Very highly recommended.

Jun 15, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add BlueJaya to your Buddy List
lord_malone

Registered: Oct 9, 2005
Review Date: Jun 13, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,599.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Focal range, build quality, fast, IS technology, two IS modes, minimum focusing distance switch, sharp throughout (comparable to primes), versatility, firm zoom ring, tri-pod collar, lens hood, lens case
Cons:
Cost (worth it to me) It's white (big fvcking deal) It's heavy (maybe you need to get in shape)

I recently acquired this lens after selling off my primes (35L 85L and 135L) in favor of a lens that would offer me more versatility for the type of shooting I've been doing. I needed another zoom that would compliment my 16-35L on the long end. I was worried that this lens would not compare IQ wise to the level of performance my beloved primes have given me. My fears have been put to rest. As soon as I received this lens, I took it out for a quick test run and viewed the RAW files on my PC. I was blown away by the sharpness and color rendition this lens produced. Not only is the sharpness comparable to the primes even wide open, but the colors and bokeh are as equally impressive! On top of that, the IS is good for a few extra stops as well. The L build and quality is what I've come to expect from Canon, esp. a lens with this price tag. It doesn't disappoint. This lens oozes quality, and from the moment you take it out of the box, you can tell that it's meant for serious business. Rock solid. This lens is right at home on my EOS-1D Mark II N. The perfect combination. The lens hood is massive, but not overdone. I don't doubt it's effectiveness and find comfort in knowing that it will take a good beating long before my front element does. Though I don't forsee myself really utilizing it, the lens case is of nice quality as well. Overall, I couldn't be happier with my decision to get this lens. I swore that I would not be happy unless I was shooting with the fastest primes available, but I can say with complete honesty that no longer holds true for me. When the time and money is right again, I will reacquire the primes I sacrificed to get this lens. But I can assure you that this will be the workhorse of my stable for a lifetime.

FWIW, I've also owned and used the legendary 80-200 f2.8L "Magic Drainpipe" and can say that this lens is a worthy successor that that marvelous peice of glass. I would even go as far as to say that it has surpassed it's performance. Don't let the negative reviews discourage you. I think you'll be most pleased should you decide to invest in this magnificent lens. Believe the hype.

(BH Photo has this lens for $1599 + the current $50 Canon rebate makes this a pretty good deal)

Jun 13, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add lord_malone to your Buddy List
juze

Registered: Jun 6, 2006
Location: Slovenia
Review Date: Jun 6, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Build. AF speed. Image quality, at least most aspects of it. IS.
Cons:
Weight and size, but there's no cheating physics. White. Yuck. Prone to flare and ghosting in strong backlight.

Well, it's a terrific lens, no complaints on build, focusing speed, IS, sharpness, contrast, etc., but it's far more prone to flare and ghosting in some (admittedly terrible) conditions than the Zuiko Digital lenses I used before. Would I trade it back for a ZD? No. Do I wish it didn't have this flare problem? Yes.

Jun 6, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add juze to your Buddy List
GEO-hiker

Registered: May 12, 2006
Review Date: Jun 4, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: image quality is best among all the EF zoom lens, include sigma .IS is great, nearly a revolution technique,
Cons:
white aspect .

above all, forgive me my english level.
I had used all three EF70-200 L lens,upgraded from f/4 version to f/2.8 non-IS version and then IS version, So i can review all of them. Their image quality is similar, but the f4 version is little inferior. The pros of the lens is compact, cost and very good result. The cons of the lens is f/4 aperture is not enough for a 70-200mm lens, greatly restrict the usage in dim light condition.

The f/2.8 non-IS version nearly flawless, but IS is real profit, it greatly expand usage scope(I can hold with 1/20 second and got very good sharpness ). Some reviews told that the image quality is little inferior compare to the non-IS version .But hardly to find in practice.

The real problem was that some very little stain spot was found in my copy under flash light. I can't sure what it is, And It wasn't my problem alone , see this:

Jun 4, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add GEO-hiker to your Buddy List
Alistair Watson

Registered: Mar 21, 2005
Review Date: May 14, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp and very fast!
Cons:
None!

I have been using this lens alot during the 1 year that I have had it, faultless performance whether it be portraits where the level of detail is simply fantastic for a zoom or closer type sports where the AF speed and accuracy, IS and wide aperture really make a difference. Bokeh at f2.8 is lovely! Works well with a 1.4x teleconverter too.

An expensive piece of kit but my favourite Canon L lens to date! :-)

May 14, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Alistair Watson to your Buddy List
oople

Registered: Dec 12, 2005
Review Date: May 9, 2006 Recommend? no | Price paid: $1,000.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: The Stabilising
Cons:
The sharpness

Coming from the cheap nikon 80-200 afd and the lovely 70-200 VR, I am disapointed by this lens overall. The IS works really well, and I like the mode 2 for panning, works well. But image clarity is my aim, and this lens just doesn't cut it. Wide open this lens is left behind by my nikkor version, way way behind, and that is disapointing.

May 9, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add oople to your Buddy List
racer67

Registered: Dec 22, 2004
Review Date: May 4, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharpness, f2.8 aperture, IS, build quality
Cons:
AF is very good, but not quite as fast and effortless as the 24-70 f2.8L

After years of reading about how good this lens is I have to say that it lives up to the many kind reviews and comments that it receives. I was struck right away at how sharp this lens is. The closest yet to "prime" quality in a zoom for me. This lens is also sharp wide open which even for its expense and reputation surpised me. "Oh, it really is sharp wide open!" The IS is a godsend because this lens isn't exactly a lightweight being a f2.8 lens. My only disappointment is that the AF isn't as elegant I expected, I have found that it hunts a bit, (on a 20D) but I'm being really picky here. It does focus very accurately and that is what really matters. Like it has been said many times before you get what you pay for. Build quality is very good. Indeed this lens borders on the price point of "insane", but it is no wonder why so many pros consider this to be Canon's best zoom.

May 4, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add racer67 to your Buddy List
KETCH

Registered: Apr 22, 2006
Review Date: May 1, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,649.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: This lens is amaizing fast, sharp at all aperture, the IS gives you so much more to shoot and print than you can immagin wile shooting free hand, L series makes a large difference, hard to look at any non L lens, wheter resistent a big plus for me, great fill love this one.
Cons:
Yes now I will look for this quality in all my lenses, it will not be easy.

No matter wath I shoot this lens gives me crysp immages in all settings w/ a Hoya Super Quality cir-poairizing filter the resolts are even better great with a 500D for close-up and just as great with a 1.4 new teleconverter from canon, I see no loss of immage and love the Hood to, mostly I used for portrait and artistic nudes, preparing to publish a calendar book and love to use this lens day after day, just great, fast fast focus, immage stabilizzation is a true wonder wen you move arround to get the perfect frame of your model and you shoot to get the exact moment on frame and this lens helps you get it with great resolts, more prints wen shotting free hand with a large camera like the canon 1D Mark 2N, the built of his lens is perfectly married with thath of my camera, solid wether proof high quality optics and of excellent construction, I reccomend this lens very very much.

May 1, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add KETCH to your Buddy List
clocksley

Registered: Mar 7, 2006
Review Date: Apr 29, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Picture quality, IS, f/2.8, if it was 16-300mm it would be the only lens necessary in the whole world!
Cons:
Weight, price

I suppose you get what you pay for. I paid over £1000 for this but I have to say it is my best lens by a long way. For wedding photography I have the 24-105mm and this one, and I don't think I would ever need anything else.
I didn't find the images with a teleconverter to be that successful, as I know some people use this for wildlife too, and the thought of a 400mm f/5.6 with IS does sound like the business, but teleconverters are teleconverters...
Recommended to those with the budget definitely.

Apr 29, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add clocksley to your Buddy List
Aberdeen Photo

Registered: Mar 9, 2006
Review Date: Apr 25, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,728.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: IS, quick autofocus, good all-arounder
Cons:
a bit pricey, image quality

After spending time shooting over 1k+ images on this lens with a 5D and 20D, I hav mixed emotions about this lens. The image quality is a tad inferior to my 70-200 2,8 w/o the IS. The IS is incredibly useful for me in wedding, event and any indoor assignment I book. The image quality is still very good, and as I prviously mentioned is not quite up to the 70-200 non-IS version and is truly inferior to my 85L, 135L and 200 2.8L. Having said that, having one lens cover the entire range and the added 2 stops with the IS, it is an amazing product. I typically have one 5D with this lens and one with either the 85L or 135L and get the best stuff with one of the primes. However, I cannot get it all with a fixed focal, so having this lens has let me get the shot, and getting a shot, although inferior, is far better than not getting it at all. So, I love having it, but prefer the primes.......So an 8 is a fair rating for this zoom...

Apr 25, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Aberdeen Photo to your Buddy List
dly1009

Registered: Apr 22, 2006
Review Date: Apr 23, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Where to begin...solidly designed! Super fast autofocus and quiet as well. The IS is great and performs above what you would expect (1/15s handheld at 200mm and razor sharp!). And, cosmetically, it is a beauty!
Cons:
Weakness....weakness...maybe those to weak to hold it...that would be it! It would be ashame to be to weak to use this lens almost all the time!

Well, I read and re-read about 300 reviews over the internet before purchasing this lens. And, as all of you that have written have mentioned the same things consistantly, sharpness! Well, that is an understatement. This lens is incredible. I have done only a few tests with it and let me tell you this, the IS works as advertised! I shot a few with and without it handheld at 200mm 1/15 of a second, and the images are tact sharp! Without it, right in the trash with those shots, if I knew how to upload those two I would. However, if you would like to see them I will email smaller versions of the IS and IS off images for yourself. The focusing is fast (ultra fast) and truly silent. My sigma lens sounds like a jackhammer autofocusing compared it now! It's a dream lens. It's beautiful to look at and so are the images it produces on my 20D. If you are like me, deciding whether or not to buy this...BUY IT! The IS is worth the money (you may grab onto a few keepers to earn that extra money right back!)

Apr 23, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add dly1009 to your Buddy List
Roy_H

Registered: Jun 21, 2005
Review Date: Apr 20, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,600.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: IS, Color
Cons:
Weight

Owned this lens for a year and was very happy with it. I can not say enough about the colors, easy of handling, speed, and build quality. They are all great.

Some reviews show resolution factors for the IS version slightly lower than the non-IS version. In practice on my 20D I never saw a difference. On my 5D, side by side comparisons of shots with fine detail (hair, fur, feathers) did show the non-IS version to be a "hair sharper." Forgive the pun.

If you like to shoot handheld at speeds less than 1/250, get the IS version, as the IS will more than compensate the minor loss in resolution. If you shoot at higher shutter speeds, or use a tripod, save some dollars and get the non-IS version and know you have the best!

Apr 20, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Roy_H to your Buddy List
TheKrowe

Registered: Feb 18, 2006
Review Date: Apr 19, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast and sharp. I have some real fast, real expensive, Canon glass but this is my favorite lens. Do you have more than one of any Canon lenses?
Cons:
It's a little heavy for walking around, but it's also my most often used lens.

I just bought my second copy of this lens. My wife used the first one a couple of weeks ago and assured me that I would never see it again. Outfitting one kit is expensive. Outfitting two is going to postpone my retirement a few years. This is one of those "if I could only have one lens..." lenses. I've used it for about six months and the majority of my "keepers" are shot through this lens. The best photos I've taken in my entire life have been taken using this lens. Portraits, birds, equestrian events, sporting events all shine with this piece of glass. I've used it with the TC1.4II with complete success as a 280mm f/4. I've used it with the TC2.0II on a few occasions as a 400mm f/5.6 and gotten very good results. Some claim to see some softening using the 2.0X but my tired old eyes can't see it. I am so high on this glass, I think it's the best lens ever built by any manufacturer. It's a little pricey, but you get far more than you pay for if you compare its performance and cost to other glass.

Apr 19, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add TheKrowe to your Buddy List
G Lund

Registered: Dec 9, 2005
Review Date: Apr 16, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,550.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, build, great IS (in panning mode too), color & saturation...etc
Cons:
None for me so far....could be heavy for some

It's all been said. I love this lens!! I trust when I take the pic that it is a keeper with this lens. If you dont need the IS I'd save the money and get the 70-200 f/4 version, I have had it and it too is a wonderful lens. That said, I sold it and bought this and glad I did.
If you are considering this lens, BUY it, you WILL be glad you did.
George

Apr 16, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add G Lund to your Buddy List
jimdavies

Registered: Apr 5, 2005
Review Date: Apr 10, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: SHARP SHARP SHARP from even wide open - Not as heavy as I thought and superbly built - SHARP - IS - SHARP
Cons:
Costs a whack but as said before you get what you pay for

It's all been said before but I just wanted to add my praise of such a wonderful lens. I have the f4L too and this lens is WAY better! Sure it's bigger and heavier but I expected that and it's nowhere near as heavy as I thought it would be. I walked around Melbourne Zoo (while on holiday) for a whole day with this lens and found it a pleasure to handle.

It is so sharp (even at f2.8) it cuts my eyes looking at the prints! The IS is wonderful and can create some interesting creative effects when used. The capabilities of IS is worth the money alone I have 2 lenses with IS and would now struggle to do without it! Sharp shots at 1/15th (and even lower sometimes) is amazing for a 200mm lens.

Did I say this lens is sharp?

As I said above the lens is certainly big - and is bigger than any of my other lenses - but it's still easily handholdable pretty much all day (and I'm a pretty scrawny chap). A lot seem to suggest the size/weight as a downside! Well I feel that it's a plus as you know you have a quality bit of gear in your hand and you can have the confidence to know you will get great results.

With all that said, I actually had to return my first one as the zoom ring was VERY VERY stiff to turn. Had no problems from my retailer (Kerso on ebay) who took the lens back - no questions asked - and replaced with a brand new one.

This lens is superb and now I'm happy I get super sharp shots. I compared a shot (at f2.8) to my Tamron 28-75. there is no competition. I will now an Lcaholic and will only buy L glass.

Apr 10, 2006