Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM

355 762525 Aug 31, 2016
ef70-200_28lisu_1_

Incorporating Canonís second generation Image Stabilization technology, this telephoto zoom responds in as little at 0.5 seconds, while providing up to three stops of correction for camera shake. Its AF system has been refined for better response time and tracking speed. And even the new 8-blade circular aperture offers a more pleasing out-of-focus image. Constructed to pro standards, this fast zoom is also highly resistant to dust and moisture, too.

Xenedis

Registered: Feb 11, 2006
Review Date: Feb 2, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,845.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast (for a zoom), very sharp, IS, good focal range, compatible with the teleconverters, built like a tank, feels great, and has 77mm filter size (consistent with most other L zoom filter sizes).
Cons:
Vignettes wide open, and is expensive, but it's worth the money, and delivers.

I have owned my 70-200/2.8L IS since October, 2006, but have shot with one before, and achieved very pleasing results.

I previously owned the 70-200/4L, which was a very sharp lens, albeit a stop slower and with no IS. It was my first L.

I decided to upgrade, and not long after, sold my 70-200/4L.

I've used mine on my 20D and 5D, again with pleasing results.

I've found that the 70-200/2.8L IS is one of my most frequently used lenses. I absolutely love working with it. It's large, long and heavy, but feels great, and performs very well indeed.

When using one, the size, weight, construction and feel of the zoom and focus rings make it clear that you're using serious gear. This lens is a staple in photojournalism and sport photography circles, but is also used by many amateurs.

The extra speed and the IS are desirable and beneficial. I mostly shoot wide open with this lens, and its focal range is quite useful to a shooter like myself who prefers longer focal lengths. The wide (for a zoom) f/2.8 aperture is also useful for shooters who like narrow depth of field.

It seems to be universally accepted that the 70-200/2.8L IS is a very sharp lens. Mine certainly is. There's a lot of glass in it, and it is a zoom (a great zoom), but its sharpness is up there with my L primes (35/1.4L, 135/2L and 300/4L IS). All of these are known for being sharp, and the 35/1.4L and 135/2L have what I call "wow effect". I've not done any testing to compare the sharpness of the zoom vs. these primes, but my own experience and results tell me that the 70-200/2.8L IS is right up there with these excellent L primes. I expect the difference in sharpness (if any) to be very negligible.

This lens is able to resolve a high level of detail, produce crisp edges and really isolate a subject from the background. Just what the doctor ordered.

The 70-200/2.8L IS is a very expensive lens, and if money is no object, then for some people, size and weight certainly may be. I don't mind heavy lenses (and this is my heaviest), but if compactness, lightness and discretion are important, this lens won't deliver in that regard. If sharpness, speed and quality are priorities, then it absolutely delivers.

I bought the 1.4x teleconverter at the same time, but tend to use it more with my 300mm L prime for extra reach.

One other point worth mentioning is the 77mm filter size. All current L zooms (excluding the two 70-200mm f/4 lenses) use 77mm filters. Apart from the 14/2.8L and the super-teles (300/2.8 IS and above), only three L primes use 77mm filters (24/1.4L, 300/4L IS and 400/5.6L), with the remaining primes using 72mm filters.

If you happen to own several lenses (L or otherwise) which use 77mm filters (I own three), the common size is both handy and a cost-saver when it comes to more expensive filters, such as circular polarisers.

The only negative comment I can make about the 70-200/2.8L IS is that there is noticeable vignetting on full-frame cameras when shot wide open, especially if there is a lot of sky in the corners.

Otherwise I cannot fault it.

Recommended.

J.

Feb 2, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Xenedis to your Buddy List
rebelxtnewbie

Registered: Jun 19, 2006
Review Date: Feb 1, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,400.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Build, Sharpness & Contrast, IS, Zoom
Cons:
CA, loud autofocus

I made a progression from 70-200 f/4 to the f/2.8 and finally the 2.8 IS. I don't regret it one bit. Build quality is superb. Auto focus is dead on and fast realative to most lenses in this range.

The sharpness & contrast is excellent. Some people say that the non IS is sharper maybe it is, but it's not noticable unless you put them side by side and pixil peep. Also when I had the Non-IS my arms got tired after long hours of shooting and was more prone to camera shake. IS works like advertise! All my lenses now have IS and love it. Sure it wont help to freeze action but I'm not a sport shooter and most of my subjects are stationary anyways.

The only things I didn't like about this lens is the loud autofocus, but that is common with all the teles I've used by canon. The USM on this lens, the non-IS, the f/4 and even my 300mm f/4 is noticably louder than my shorter lenses and even my old Sigma 100-300 HSM!

The other thing is CA. Maybe I have a bad copy but it is noticable compared to the other versions I had. The CA is the only thing that kept me from giving it a 10.

All in all, it is a superb lens and definately worth the premium over the non IS version if you can afford it.

Feb 1, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add rebelxtnewbie to your Buddy List
Mike Pearson

Registered: Jan 26, 2007
Review Date: Jan 26, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,550.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, Build Quality, IS
Cons:
None but the weight - and that is to be expected

I agonized over this purchase. Previously I have only used primes and I was concerned about how sharp this lens would be. I considered the 70-200 f4 IS because from what I could find it seems to be rated as sharper. The problem was I do a lot of low light photography. This much money for versatility but lower IQ would have hurt!

Well, I pulled the trigger on the 70-200 f2.8 IS, and put it to a simple test as soon as it arrived. I compared it, at 200mm f2.8, with my prime Canon 200mm f2.8. I took identical photos of the label on a dishwashing soap bottle by my sink. At 100%, side-by-side in Photoshop, the two lenses are equal in my judgment. I would not say identical - there seems to be some kind of minor trade-off between factors, with one stronger where the other is weaker and vice versa. (Though I don't have a clue what those factors are.) But, to my eye they appear identically sharp even though I know there is something subtle that is different between them. If anything, I actually like the 70-200 image a tiny bit more!

I'm happy to pay the high price for this lens to get its versatility without giving up quality.

BTW - search on "psjan" at B&H to save a hundred

Jan 26, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Mike Pearson to your Buddy List
Familyandchild

Registered: Jan 26, 2007
Review Date: Jan 26, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp
Cons:

Really nice performance, i love it.
it is so sharp even wide open, i mainly use it at F2.8 to take out my object from background.
this is my favorite lens, especially when i shoot Family and child photos.

Most of the Family and child pp in my homepage(http://iikeshuwan.spaces.live.com/) were taken by this lens.

Jan 26, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Familyandchild to your Buddy List
Basi Menon

Registered: Jan 22, 2007
Review Date: Jan 24, 2007 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Performance breeding confidence. One may find oneself unmounting/changing lenses less often and that may be a good idea for dust issues!
Cons:
Am not ready to look for any!!

Overcame fear (the consistent warnings "heavy, big" is scary when one is only 5'6"and 50kg weight, and past half century of living in this world!) and bought this baby.

And my post is only to reassure the scrawny built hopefuls like me that this lens is no bigger a challenge than one allows one's imagination to make it. In 2 weeks of use I have learned to hold it well and carry it around wherever I choose to, no tears. And the way it does what it is meant to do effortlessly!!! Anyone who has waited has waited too long already. GO GET IT if you dreamed of using this beauty for whatever work you do.
BEAUTIFUL is a word I would use!

Jan 24, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Basi Menon to your Buddy List
alfieri

Registered: Feb 25, 2006
Review Date: Jan 23, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,700.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: built like a tank; very solid performer, one of Canon's very best zooms
Cons:
IQ (sharpness, color, contrast), bokeh, focusing speed and reliability, weight, and low-light usability are a notch or two below good prime combos in the same general price range

sample images and ramblings:

Jan 23, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add alfieri to your Buddy List
Basi Menon

Registered: Jan 22, 2007
Review Date: Jan 22, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,730.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Overcame fear (when you are 5'6" tall and a measley 50kg. weight, the reports of this lens+camera mass scares you!!) Bought it 2 weeks ago and I can tell anyone holding off for fear of its mass! Please dont put it off any longer. If you love quality BUY this beauty, and you will adjust to the mass ever so quickly. I have learned to hold it well and carry it around on walks, and am not crying. 2.8 is a lot more than just faster than 4!! Find it difficult (emotionally!!) to remove it and put another lens on the mount, and most of the time you shouldn't need to. I write this only for the benefit of the scrawny built, who are being held off by those who want to enjoy the delights of this lens in exclusion!
Cons:
Wont be looking for any, so something must jump in my face before I report it

Jan 22, 2007
dvdb

Registered: Feb 2, 2006
Review Date: Jan 14, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast, extremely sharp, excellent build quality. Do they come any sharper?
Cons:
None? Price? Weigth? Hey man, what do you expect? Worth every penny!

My first really, really good lens. Mindblowing on the 5D. You see much more on your pictures than with the naked eye. Re-discover what you have photographed at the computer. Wow!

Jan 14, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add dvdb to your Buddy List
hermosawave

Registered: Jul 12, 2003
Review Date: Jan 13, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,600.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp wide open, great bokeh, IS
Cons:
Weight, price, size

I love shooting wide open for as little depth of field as possible. I also love the IS on my 24-105mm f/4L. Finally traded up my 70-200 f/4 for the 2.8 IS.

For the first few days I was really wondering if I had made a mistake. The weight of this thing! My back was aching, my arms, wrists....
I must to have learned how to hold it, somehow the weight is not a problem anymore.

Very sharp, but not only that -- the color and contrast are far better than the 24-105 for example, just every image looks awesome!

A recent example:

Jan 13, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add hermosawave to your Buddy List
Tobin28

Registered: Feb 10, 2005
Review Date: Jan 9, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,690.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Tack sharp, IS, fast focus, quiet motor. Always gets the shot.
Cons:

This is my money maker lens. It was also great in Africa and the Caribbean for lots of wildlife shots.

Save your money and get this one. It is so worth it.

Everything you hear about it is true.

Tobin

Jan 9, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Tobin28 to your Buddy List
vincewarwick

Registered: Dec 30, 2006
Review Date: Jan 2, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Crisp, Fast, excellent IS functions one for Standard and one for paning
Cons:
A little on the heavy side but worth it's weight in gold..

This lens is excellent well worth the buying I've got a 24-105 L IS USM as well and this makes a really good set of len'

Jan 2, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add vincewarwick to your Buddy List
bquinn

Registered: Sep 23, 2004
Review Date: Dec 28, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: IS, IS, and IS. Worth every penny! Focus dead on every shot. Quite USM motor. Sharp everywhere!
Cons:

I've had this lens for one year now and have taken 1000's of photos with it and they never seem to dissapoint me. I've used this lens for many situations and it always seems to handle anything I do. I had a Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 EX before this and I was very pleased with the quality of that lens, but IS was just too valuable for me. I do not regret the decision one bit. I can honestly say this lens will NEVER be sold!

My first test shots were at 200mm, f/2.8, at a 15th and they were tack sharp. I was worried about the IQ at 2.8, but after shooting just a few pics wide open I never second judge this lens. I've used a Sigma 1.4 EX teleconverter on this lens with outstanding results.

If you are questioning spending the extra cash, don't think twice. It's worth it.

I call her "The Money Maker"

Dec 28, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add bquinn to your Buddy List
henris

Registered: Jun 19, 2005
Review Date: Dec 25, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: balance, sharpness, IS, speed, L build, USM
Cons:
weight, price

This is a great lens, even wide open. I took several hundred pictures of my marching band in dimly lit football stadiums, and they cam out great. Very useful range-even on a 30D.

I will probably never sell this lens.

Dec 25, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add henris to your Buddy List
jlafontaine

Registered: Dec 22, 2006
Review Date: Dec 22, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, Contrast
Cons:
Size, weight

Traided in my 70-200 f4L for his lens and don't regret it a bit.
It's MUCH shaper and has IS. Very versatile, especialy on my 5d!

Dec 22, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jlafontaine to your Buddy List
johnastovall

Registered: Apr 7, 2005
Review Date: Dec 15, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,650.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Amazingly sharp wide open at all zoom lengths. It has made a believer in IS of me hand holding on a 5D at 1/30 is perfect.
Cons:
none. Price is fair for what you get and as for weight I don't have a problem with it.

So much better than my 70-200/4.0L which was a great lens but the extra speed and IS make this a killer on a 5D for low light at high ISO's.

Dec 15, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add johnastovall to your Buddy List
ryan aguas

Registered: Dec 7, 2006
Review Date: Dec 11, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,650.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp at f/2.8--excellent at f/4, IS works well, weather & dust protection, nice colors & bokeh, quick AF
Cons:
big and very heavy

This lens is a versatile combination of large 2.8 aperture and IS on a telephoto L series zoom. The results are really nice and usable starting at the maximum aperture even on lowlight, handheld situations.
While it is true that this lens is heavy, the IS saves you the bulk and weight of carrying a tripod along, therefore making it more practical and less cumbersome to bring along.

Dec 11, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ryan aguas to your Buddy List

Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM