Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM

353 738993 Mar 26, 2014
ef70-200_28lisu_1_

Incorporating Canonís second generation Image Stabilization technology, this telephoto zoom responds in as little at 0.5 seconds, while providing up to three stops of correction for camera shake. Its AF system has been refined for better response time and tracking speed. And even the new 8-blade circular aperture offers a more pleasing out-of-focus image. Constructed to pro standards, this fast zoom is also highly resistant to dust and moisture, too.

Basi Menon

Registered: Jan 22, 2007
Review Date: Jan 22, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,730.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Overcame fear (when you are 5'6" tall and a measley 50kg. weight, the reports of this lens+camera mass scares you!!) Bought it 2 weeks ago and I can tell anyone holding off for fear of its mass! Please dont put it off any longer. If you love quality BUY this beauty, and you will adjust to the mass ever so quickly. I have learned to hold it well and carry it around on walks, and am not crying. 2.8 is a lot more than just faster than 4!! Find it difficult (emotionally!!) to remove it and put another lens on the mount, and most of the time you shouldn't need to. I write this only for the benefit of the scrawny built, who are being held off by those who want to enjoy the delights of this lens in exclusion!
Cons:
Wont be looking for any, so something must jump in my face before I report it

Jan 22, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Basi Menon to your Buddy List
dvdb

Registered: Feb 2, 2006
Review Date: Jan 14, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast, extremely sharp, excellent build quality. Do they come any sharper?
Cons:
None? Price? Weigth? Hey man, what do you expect? Worth every penny!

My first really, really good lens. Mindblowing on the 5D. You see much more on your pictures than with the naked eye. Re-discover what you have photographed at the computer. Wow!

Jan 14, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add dvdb to your Buddy List
hermosawave

Registered: Jul 12, 2003
Review Date: Jan 13, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,600.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp wide open, great bokeh, IS
Cons:
Weight, price, size

I love shooting wide open for as little depth of field as possible. I also love the IS on my 24-105mm f/4L. Finally traded up my 70-200 f/4 for the 2.8 IS.

For the first few days I was really wondering if I had made a mistake. The weight of this thing! My back was aching, my arms, wrists....
I must to have learned how to hold it, somehow the weight is not a problem anymore.

Very sharp, but not only that -- the color and contrast are far better than the 24-105 for example, just every image looks awesome!

A recent example:

Jan 13, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add hermosawave to your Buddy List
Tobin28

Registered: Feb 10, 2005
Review Date: Jan 9, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,690.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Tack sharp, IS, fast focus, quiet motor. Always gets the shot.
Cons:

This is my money maker lens. It was also great in Africa and the Caribbean for lots of wildlife shots.

Save your money and get this one. It is so worth it.

Everything you hear about it is true.

Tobin

Jan 9, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Tobin28 to your Buddy List
vincewarwick

Registered: Dec 30, 2006
Review Date: Jan 2, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Crisp, Fast, excellent IS functions one for Standard and one for paning
Cons:
A little on the heavy side but worth it's weight in gold..

This lens is excellent well worth the buying I've got a 24-105 L IS USM as well and this makes a really good set of len'

Jan 2, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add vincewarwick to your Buddy List
bquinn

Registered: Sep 23, 2004
Review Date: Dec 28, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: IS, IS, and IS. Worth every penny! Focus dead on every shot. Quite USM motor. Sharp everywhere!
Cons:

I've had this lens for one year now and have taken 1000's of photos with it and they never seem to dissapoint me. I've used this lens for many situations and it always seems to handle anything I do. I had a Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 EX before this and I was very pleased with the quality of that lens, but IS was just too valuable for me. I do not regret the decision one bit. I can honestly say this lens will NEVER be sold!

My first test shots were at 200mm, f/2.8, at a 15th and they were tack sharp. I was worried about the IQ at 2.8, but after shooting just a few pics wide open I never second judge this lens. I've used a Sigma 1.4 EX teleconverter on this lens with outstanding results.

If you are questioning spending the extra cash, don't think twice. It's worth it.

I call her "The Money Maker"

Dec 28, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add bquinn to your Buddy List
henris

Registered: Jun 19, 2005
Review Date: Dec 25, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: balance, sharpness, IS, speed, L build, USM
Cons:
weight, price

This is a great lens, even wide open. I took several hundred pictures of my marching band in dimly lit football stadiums, and they cam out great. Very useful range-even on a 30D.

I will probably never sell this lens.

Dec 25, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add henris to your Buddy List
jlafontaine

Registered: Dec 22, 2006
Review Date: Dec 22, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, Contrast
Cons:
Size, weight

Traided in my 70-200 f4L for his lens and don't regret it a bit.
It's MUCH shaper and has IS. Very versatile, especialy on my 5d!

Dec 22, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jlafontaine to your Buddy List
johnastovall

Registered: Apr 7, 2005
Review Date: Dec 15, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,650.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Amazingly sharp wide open at all zoom lengths. It has made a believer in IS of me hand holding on a 5D at 1/30 is perfect.
Cons:
none. Price is fair for what you get and as for weight I don't have a problem with it.

So much better than my 70-200/4.0L which was a great lens but the extra speed and IS make this a killer on a 5D for low light at high ISO's.

Dec 15, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add johnastovall to your Buddy List
ryan aguas

Registered: Dec 7, 2006
Review Date: Dec 11, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,650.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp at f/2.8--excellent at f/4, IS works well, weather & dust protection, nice colors & bokeh, quick AF
Cons:
big and very heavy

This lens is a versatile combination of large 2.8 aperture and IS on a telephoto L series zoom. The results are really nice and usable starting at the maximum aperture even on lowlight, handheld situations.
While it is true that this lens is heavy, the IS saves you the bulk and weight of carrying a tripod along, therefore making it more practical and less cumbersome to bring along.

Dec 11, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ryan aguas to your Buddy List
tkoet

Registered: May 12, 2006
Review Date: Dec 11, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,650.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: classic tele zoom range, sharp images, near-perfect bokeh, IS that works
Cons:
size, weight & paint job that pushed me into primes - akward design on control buttons that frequently get moved to wrong positions

For me, this lens replaced a like-spec Nikkor for wedding work. After a season, I grew to hate it. It's big, it's heavy, and the controls switches frequently get moved out of position, making you miss fast shots (Canon had changed AF/MF, Focus Limit, and IS controls to a flat design on newer zooms). Last on the gripe list ... the paint job. A white lens looks silly when you're covering a wedding. Subjects know the very second this lens gets pointed towards them - so much for subtle.

Optically, it's hard to fault. Sharp & with great bokeh. The IS is a shot saver.

I moved to 85 & 135 primes - they focus faster ... especially in marginal conditions

Dec 11, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add tkoet to your Buddy List
bbrat

Registered: Nov 28, 2006
Review Date: Nov 29, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: this is my favorite lens to shoot with. its a monster but worth every penny. fast,sharp, beautiful colors and boken. IS works great.
Cons:
for some maybe the weight and color of the lens. draws attention. also price too.

its a tank of a lens. i love it! yeah it sticks out in a crowd, but who cares. image quality is fantastic! IS, speed, sharpness, colors....i could go on. also with a TC 1.4x it becomes a F/4 which i like. the only issue i see is finding the right bag for a lens of this size, but thats a small issue.

Nov 29, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add bbrat to your Buddy List
PDP108

Registered: May 29, 2005
Review Date: Nov 26, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, color, contrast and solid build
Cons:
Weight.

I finally took a plunge and bought this lens after agonizing for the last two years due to the high cost and I have no regret about the purchase. I have had this lens for a month or so and love it everytime I use it. The image quality that I get with this lens is amazing.
If you can afford this lens, get one. If you can't, save up because the only regret you're gonna get is not getting it sooner!

Nov 26, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add PDP108 to your Buddy List
Camponuevo

Registered: Nov 22, 2006
Review Date: Nov 22, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp images, bokeh, image stabiliser, f2.8. weatherproof, L-series construction.
Cons:
Cost (but worth every penny) and weight

This is the lens...
My best pictures are with this gun...

I considered buying the 70-200 f/4 IS, but on low light conditions this is the best option...

Nov 22, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Camponuevo to your Buddy List
Espen Hildrup

Registered: Nov 10, 2006
Review Date: Nov 17, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp ! Great IS ! Very solid built ! It isn't that heavy ... ! It isn't that expensive neighter ... ?
Cons:
None !

I like the untraditional white design !

The image quality: Razer sharp !
The IS is great; I can leave my tripod at home more often - and f2.8 certainly also helps !

Those complaining about the price; if you want to travel first class - you have to pay for it ! There's no free lunch ... I believe I'm going to have this lense for years to come; and it might be cheaper to buy 1 quality lense, than buying new lenses yearly ?

I've read several places that it is so heavy. Well, it wasn't that heavy ...

So: Just do it - get one !

Nov 17, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Espen Hildrup to your Buddy List
Pete_T

Registered: Jul 15, 2006
Review Date: Nov 11, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Fantastic sharp images, nice bokeh, image stabiliser, nice and wide at f2.8. Solid, weatherproof, L-series construction.
Cons:
Heavy, costly (but will not regret it!)

I bought this lens after using the 70-200 F4 L for some months but was frustrated at the f4 limit (but should add this lens is otherwise superb and great to carry about all day!). I am hugely impressed with the f2.8 L IS version and have not regretted it at all. It's a fast lens, great focal length range and very sharp even wide open. The downside is its weight, you really know you've been carrying it after an all day trek.

Nov 11, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Pete_T to your Buddy List

Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM