Nikon D1

D1

True Nikon pro SLR that just happens to be digital
2.66 megapixel CCD, 2012 x 1312 pixel images
ISO of 200, 400, 800, 1600
4.5 frames per second, super-fast shutter delay!
Part of Nikon "Total Imaging System" - Compatible with 90% of all Nikon F-mount lenses ever made

AbSeNtEE

Registered: Jul 13, 2005
Review Date: Jun 30, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $200.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Built like a tank. 4.5 FPS. "Pro" Body. Cheap! Paid around $200 for the body and all accessories. Decent buffer size. 10 RAW is a little small, 21 JPEG is good. Weather sealed (?).
Cons:
High ISO Noise. 2.7MP sensor is unforgiving, your must frame the shot perfectly. Rubber not that good. Power Hog. Single shot mode is almost completely useless. Slow CF card read/write speeds.

After all is said and done, I paid about $200 for the body. $260 if you count the 2 extra aftermarket batteries I bought.

As I said, the 2.7MP sensor is unforgiving. If you want to make decent sized prints (~ 8x10) Plan to not do any cropping during post processing.

The Single shot mode is completely useless for anything other than completely static shots like product shots, or landscapes. Stick to continuous, with it at the full 4.5FPS, or set at 1 or 2 FPS via CF 25.

High ISO noise is bad. Anything above 800 has banding. I learned that the hard way.

In retrospect, if you have the money, try to get a D1H, or even a D1X, the H will give you better higher ISO noise, while the C will give you the resolution. If only Nikon made a D2 (no X or H) that was cheap.

The CF card read and write speeds are just...bad. For high volume shooting, be sure to use JPEG and not RAW, because they are smaller, so they write faster, not to mention the buffer can hold 11 more JPEG than RAW.

I'm a little unsure on the weather sealing. And I'm even more unsure with the Nikkors. I was out shooting last weekend in a light but steady rain, and the camera got a good soaking after being out of the bag for more than 2 minutes. I would have been a lot more confident if I knew whether or not the lenses I was using were weather sealed (28-70 I'm almost positive isn't, I have NO idea about the 80-200 2.8). But back on topic: The camera got a good soaking, and I just kept wiping it off with a rag. A week later and its still going strong, so there are at least some seals. (Note: I DO have all the rubber caps that are commonly lost: PC sync, 10-Pin, I/O port cover)

Jun 30, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add AbSeNtEE to your Buddy List
bellyface

Registered: Mar 17, 2003
Review Date: Nov 23, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Fast, rugged, good color, big buffer, small raw file size. APS sized sensor with a 2.7mpx resolving power is still good. Good companion camera to a D70, D100 & now a D200. 1/500 flash sync & 1/16000 top shutter, classic nikkor AI, AIs lens compatibility, bright & big viewfinder.
Cons:
Power hog, you have to baby sit batteries, carry a few with you at shoots. Firewire port is in a bad place, noise banding over iso 800, rubber is not as strong as some say it is, $100 replaceable item from nikon.

I picked up a D1 a wile back to compliment my D1X, when my D1X was at the shop I got really stuck on the D1. I started to really like it, using it for venues, concerts, it was fabulous. It's extremely underrated, partly cause it's a 2.7mpx sensor, and a product for 1999. It's still an amazing tool that can really pack a punch. If you shoot raw, you can really take advantage of a 2.7mpx sensor, you can squeeze most of the dynamic range out of it that way.

A few pros:

Definitely very film like camera feel, when shooting in single mode it is too slow to preview the image after it's shot, so I shoot in C mode, but limit the drive to 2 FPS. You don't get to see the image, this is where it feels like a film camera. The buffer is great if you are a jpeg shooter, 21 frames, but OK if you are a raw shooter (10). You can use most older AI & AIs lenses, limiting them to center-weighted & spot. Older lenses lately have been cheaper than ever, and they are pretty sharp too. The build and weight of the camera are next to perfect, it's a pro-level D series, it's no wonder why news publications use these, they are pretty rugged. All in all there are a lot of things great about the D1, and lately they can be had really cheap.

A few cons:

Poor menus. You have to put the camera in play mode to get to the settings menu. This is bad. If you are looking at images in play mode, you cannot pick up the camera if you want to take a quick snap. You have to put it in either PC, S, or C mode to take a shot. Single mode (S) IMO is useless, it has to write the image to the card before you can take the next shot. It's best to put it in C mode for continuous shooting. LCD screen is also pretty flaky, no zoom of course, raw files take a while to render on the screen. NOISE: using the camera above iso 800 is kinda bad. lot's of banding noise. 1 step iso settings also, 1/3 stops are nice, like iso 1000 or iso 320 would be nice. And finally the worst gripe... the battery. it's a good thing the NiMH style battery has been retired. The most crucial step on the D1 series (D1, D1h, D1x) is the very first charge and discharge. This pretty much determines the battery's life...

My grade on this camera... a solid B!

Nov 23, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add bellyface to your Buddy List
xke65

Registered: Jun 21, 2005
Review Date: Jun 21, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,400.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Pro body. Fast focus and great metering. Ready for instant action. Excellent image quality.
Cons:
A bit power hungry.

I bought mine used but pretty much as new in 2003 when I got sick of waiting for an affordable DSLR. Since then I 've taken quite a few pictures and I've always been happy with the results. It's just like using a film camera. Turn it on and it's ready to go. Things have moved on since 1999 when it was introduced but it's still a great camera. I've had better finished results out of this more of the time than all my previous film efforts on Leica's, Nikon's Canons et al. I won't replace it until the D3X hits the streets whenever that will be. Don't underrate those 2.7MP - it produces quality output with a capital Q! I just stick to 200 ASA and I only use JPEG. I can't really see the tremendous difference some talk of with NEF. I follow Thom Hogan's advice with regard to camera settings though. Do the sharpening and contrast adjustment in Photoshop. I've got A3+ prints I'm delighted with.

Jun 21, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add xke65 to your Buddy List
lowlitedigital

Registered: Mar 30, 2005
Review Date: Apr 3, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $650.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: got mine like new and cheap
Cons:
quality of pics not as good as newer models but still very nice

Apr 3, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add lowlitedigital to your Buddy List
seagrove01

Registered: Dec 16, 2004
Review Date: Dec 28, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,000.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: 5fps, hi-speed flash synch, top-notch construction, large buffer.
Cons:
Banding at ISO1600.

I, too, bought a D1 for freelance work after using a D100 owned by a weekly paper I contract to.Found the D1 to be an excellent camera at ISO800 and below. Have many shots at ISO200 that provide excellent color and resolution with very little, if any, noticeable noise. Having a camera at 5fps with a large bufffer was great for high school sports but horrible at ISO1600.

Dec 28, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add seagrove01 to your Buddy List
lxdesign

Registered: Jan 4, 2004
Review Date: Dec 9, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,300.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Fast shutter, large buffer, professional body based on the F5... good camera all around!
Cons:
ISO Range is limited in comparison to the D100 - I wouldn't shoot past ISO 800; Battery life is not great, and requires multiple batteries on hand when shooting.

I got my D1 after shooting with the D100 for 1.5 years. I was looking for the pro body experience. After using the D1 now for 3 months, I really like the results from this camera. the 2.7 megapixel sensor is not a deterant at all. I shoot mostly RAW images with my D1, and post process them with Nikon Capture, I am able to match the resolution of my D100 without loss of quality whatsoever. The price was right, and the results are excellent!

Dec 9, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add lxdesign to your Buddy List
FrankC.

Registered: Jun 24, 2004
Review Date: Aug 29, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: - Pro body build - super fast autofocus - literally focuses in the dark (w/50MM 1.8 no less) - no shutter delay - built to take the abuse
Cons:
- custom settings uses numbers instead of words - less usable ISO range (200-800) v. the D100 (200-1600) or the D1x (125-1600)

After a four-year wait, I got the chance to get a refurbished D1 with factory warranty.
I had previously used a D100 & D1x. After using the D1x there was no way I could go back to the D100, except for when I wanted something light to carry and a built-in flash, oh, that's what my point and shoot is for
Smile
I've made 20x30 prints with the D1's 2 megapixel CCD and am more than satisfied.
Other than a less usable ISO range (200-800) v. the D100 (200-1600) or the D1x (125-1600), it more than satisfies my needs.
The colors out of the camera are what I'd call 'KodaChome' like, very natural skin tones WITHOUT post processing, but you have to nail the exposure.

Aug 29, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add FrankC. to your Buddy List

Nikon D1