Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8D ED AF

42 187908 Jul 15, 2013
1986NAS_180

Superb telephoto-zoom lens for sports and nature photography
3 ED glass for high resolution and high contrast even at maximum apertures
Maintains fast f/2.8 aperture throughout zoom range

Compatible Formats FX
DX
FX in DX Crop Mode
35mm Film
f/Stop Range 2.8-22
Minimum Focus Distance 5.9' (4.9' in macro)
Magnification 1:7.1 (1:5.9 in macro)
Zoom/Focus Control Two-touch
Angle of View 30 to 12 Degrees
Tripod Collar Yes
Length 7.6"
Maximum Diameter 3.4"
Weight 2.84 lb
Usable Nikon Teleconverter TC-14b (manual focus only)
TC-201 or TC-14a (manual focus only & occasional vignetting may occur)

Page:  1 · 2 · 3

Nikonguy59

Registered: Feb 10, 2004
Review Date: May 8, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very Sharp, Contrasty and Good Color Saturation
Cons:
Tripod Collar is too small for such a large lens

I'm currently using this lens for kids soccer and I am very pleased with the results. Mounted on a monopod, it's very easy to use. I use the lens with the Nikon HB-7 lens hood, something I think Nikon should have just included with the lens!

I really like how the limited DOF totally blurs out the background and leaves the subject matter razor sharp even at f2.8. Since parents take photos alongside me with their point and shoot digital cameras, to be competitive enough for them to order my photos, I need to have my pictures look dramatically better than theirs. This does exactly that!

They can't get the same quality I can get with my Nikon D100 / 80-200mm f2.8D. And I'll guarantee they can't get the reach with their little 3x zooms either! After post production cropping, sharpening, etc. the images just look incredible.

Highly recommended!

May 8, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Nikonguy59 to your Buddy List
Nikonart

Registered: Apr 12, 2004
Review Date: May 7, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $800.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: A Real f/2.8 Long Zoom - Fast AF - Build Quality
Cons:
Weight - No VR

The Nikkor actually performs at f/2.8. AF is as fast as my other AF-S lenses, especially with the Limit setting on. The Macro function is a plus.

Without VR, it is hard to keep a steady hand at 200mm, so a tripod or a sturdy monopod is recommended. Although the collar is not as massive as the lens itself, it works. Definitely not the glass you'd want to tote around all day. It's built like a tank and weights nearly as much.

May 7, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Nikonart to your Buddy List
clonardo

Registered: Jan 19, 2004
Review Date: Mar 19, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $580.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: price (used, for AF-D version), build quality, color rendition, very reasonable weight, incredible bokeh, sharp wide-open
Cons:
AF not as fast as AF-S version, but.. you get what you pay for.

I purchased this lens used from Adorama about a month ago, in "Very Good" condition. I'm pleased with the results so far, although the AF leaves me waiting in situations where I'm shooting sports.

For indoor stage productions, this thing is a dream. Every nuance of the lighting is captured perfectly, and without any visible flare.

I'm not aware of a teleconvertor that can be used with the AF-D version while maintaining autofocus, so I guess that would be a nice thing to have. I really just bought this lens to tide me over until I can afford the 70-200/2.8 with VR.

Mar 19, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add clonardo to your Buddy List
Ogo-

Registered: Jan 29, 2004
Review Date: Jan 29, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $850.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp, perfect color rendition and contrast. Zoom and focus rings very well positioned, lens balances well.
Cons:
Tripod collar is a joke.

Whilst this lens has no AF-S, the focusing is very quick and snappy.
This lens handles really well (except for the tripod collar of course) and is a joy to use. Image quality is excellent

Jan 29, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Ogo- to your Buddy List
flyfisher228

Registered: Jul 28, 2002
Review Date: Aug 17, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $999.99 | Rating: 10

Pros: Super sharp, Excellent contrast and color. Weight actually helps keep steady hanheld shots.
Cons:

I have been using this lens for about 3 years now with black and white, color negative film, and positive film. Razor sharp even at the widest opening! I just love it. Im talking about about the non-S version.

Aug 17, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add flyfisher228 to your Buddy List
molson

Registered: Oct 29, 2002
Review Date: May 27, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,300.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Very sharp, excellent contrast and color rendition
Cons:
noticeable vignetting at wide apertures; feeble tripod collar makes it totally unusable on cameras without mirror lockup at shutter speed between 1/60 and 1/2 second

My comments are directed at the AF-S version of this lens. Nikon should be embarrased by the tripod collar on this lens - it turns a great lens into an "okay" lens. If you're going to buy one, the first thing I would recommend is to order a replacement tripod collar from Kirk Enterprises. Putting this one glaring weakness aside, in terms of pure optical quality, this is one of the best lenses I have ever owned.

May 27, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add molson to your Buddy List
vizor9

Registered: Feb 3, 2003
Review Date: Apr 18, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Incredibly fast, quiet and sharp
Cons:
none thus far except maybe weight.

I'm just here to confirm everyone elses reviews of this lens. Now that I've gone AF-S I'll probably never go back. This is a great lens for nature, sports, portrait and probably everything in between too. I'm using it on a D100 and I haven't changed the lens off since I got it. Great work Nikon!

Apr 18, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add vizor9 to your Buddy List
imagenhance

Registered: Jan 2, 2003
Review Date: Apr 14, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Razor sharp Easy to handle Fast
Cons:

I was a die hard primary lens user since being a teenager 30 years ago. I liked the decsions you were forced to make with a fixed focal length. Also the image quality, fixed vs zooms, used to be quite an issue. No more! This lens is amazing. It is bright, sharp, handles well and while it is a bit heavy I think that makes it easier to hand hold. Helps steady down any wandering that may occur after a few cups of coffee!

Apr 14, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add imagenhance to your Buddy List
MyersPhotography

Registered: Feb 19, 2003
Review Date: Mar 30, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,499.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Super sharp and quiet (AFS version) Nice contrast
Cons:
A bit heavy Drop in filters would have been nice and VR would have been even better

Just a wonderful lens if you have a Fuji S1/S2 or newer Nikon body.
The photo on the weekly assignments page here, http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/27092 was made with this lens and an S2.

Mar 30, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add MyersPhotography to your Buddy List
ustein

Registered: Dec 30, 2001
Review Date: Mar 30, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,550.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Top Zoom
Cons:
VR could make it even better

The AF-S version is my most used Nikon lens and it delivers excellent results. Even with the TC-14E the results are superb.

Mar 30, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews View gallery Visit Homepage Add ustein to your Buddy List

Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8D ED AF