Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR

96 247067 Jul 12, 2016
2139NAS_180

Exclusive Silent Wave Motor enables ultra-high-speed autofocusing with exceptional accuracy and powerful super-quiet operation
VR operation offers the equivalent of using a shutter speed 3 stops faster. In addition, active vibration mode selection is possible. For using in an active situation such as in a car, boat or plane.
VR ON/OFF mode available
New cosmetic design
5 ED elements reduce chromatic aberrations providing superior optica performance - even at maximum aperture
Fully compatible with Nikon TC-14E II and TC-20E II Teleconverters
Internal Focusing (IF) design for smoother focusing and great body balance
M/A mode enable instant switching from autofocus to manual with virtually no lag time even during AF servo operation
No power consumption during manual focus operation
Rounded diaphragm (9 blades) for natural blur
Focuses as close as 4.9ft (AF) 4.6ft (MF)
High-performance Nikon Super Intergrated Coating offers superior color reproduction and minimizes ghost and flare
Detachable tripod mounting collar provided
Filter attachment does not rotate with focusing
New G design enables apertures to be selected from select Nikon AF SLR camera bodies
New G design incorporates distance informatin for flash and ambient light exposure processes
Fully compatible with D1X, D1H, D100, F5, F100, N80, N75 and N65

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6  next

RexGig0

Registered: Jul 12, 2014
Review Date: Jul 12, 2016 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: AF speed and accuracy, at least when on my D3s. Image Quality. Ergonomics and handling, at least for my hands. Build Quality, and durability, well-proven when it fell several feet onto a ceramic tile floor, at home.
Cons:
Well, the corners and edges of the newer 70-200/2.8G VR II are presumably better, but I did not buy this lens to shoot images in which corners or edges are a significant concern. I have a Zeiss 2/135 APO Sonnar, and macro/micro lenses, for the times when corners and edges are important.

Nature compelled me to try this lens, a very well-preserved pre-owned copy, at a large pro-oriented camera store, when a severe thunderstorm made driving away a bad idea. AF speed and accuracy were found to be so very good. Sharpness is an over-used, and imprecise term, but, well, this lens was, and is, so very sharp on my D3s. I had been considering adding a Nikkor 70-200/2.8G VR II, during Nikon USA's June 2016 instant rebate sale, to complete my f/2.8 "pro" zoom Trinity, or perhaps a Canon EF 70-200/2.8L IS II, as I also shoot Canon, but instead, I saved several hundred more dollars by acquiring this pre-II version of the Nikkor 70-200/2.8G VR.

Jul 12, 2016
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add RexGig0 to your Buddy List
WeddingPhotoFi

Registered: Mar 17, 2014
Review Date: Mar 18, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Image quality, fast focusing, build quality, bokeh
Cons:
price, weight

This is my trusted work horse at wedding photography. I use it (according to Lightroom statistics) twice as much as anything else. Autofocus is a snap, it's always spot-on, image quality is... beautiful and it's built to last. My go-to lens for wedding portraits.

If I had to pick two lenses for a wedding photo shoot, this would be one of them. Best piece of glass I've ever owned!

You can check out sample images (from weddings) and a Finnish-only review from my blog at http://www.helsinginhaakuvaus.fi/paras-objektiivi/

Mar 18, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add WeddingPhotoFi to your Buddy List
paparazzinick

Registered: Jan 8, 2005
Review Date: Nov 12, 2012 Recommend? | Price paid: $1,200.00

Pros: sharp, fast
Cons:
heavy

This is one of my all time favorites in the nikon lens lineup. This lens is very fast and gives you a nice creamy background. A must have in your bag. I shoot weddings in Pittsburgh and this lens is used 50% of the time. I like a nice tight shot with creamy backgrounds. Check out some samples on my site taken with this lens. http://nbombichstudios.com

Nov 12, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add paparazzinick to your Buddy List
bilalrafi

Registered: May 15, 2009
Location: Pakistan
Review Date: Jul 2, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Ultimate IQ, Fast AF, Very Sharp in the center (VR1), and VR works awesome (even better on VR2)
Cons:
known issues of VR1 in the corners, lens foot cud've been a bit sturdier, nothing else to knit pick :)

I have used the VR1 version for a year (professionally at weddings) before moving on to the VR2 recently. Both lenses are awesome on my FX bodies.

The vignette issue of VR1 didn't bother me too much as I was primarily using the lens for solo portraits between 135-200mm in large wedding arenas. So it actually helped in subject isolation etc.

However I updated to the VR2 in any case .. with the primary objective of taking advantage of the additional stop of stabilization. Lower shutter speed along with bounced flash helps me take in alot of ambient light as well. VR is very helpful in such a scenario.

Full marks to Nikon for updating the ultimate tele-zoom to an even better model. The price difference between the two pinches you a bit but you get what you pay for (in a positive way).

Jul 2, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add bilalrafi to your Buddy List
david_ve

Registered: Aug 25, 2011
Review Date: Aug 25, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: [new version] awesome lens super fast, great IQ, super sharp, ...
Cons:
rather heavy (minor issue)/ bad lens, once it's placed on your body you look down on your other lenses

bouth this to replace my 70-300 VR, wanted the f2.8 for portrait
and it's a way faster lens for sport.

Aug 25, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add david_ve to your Buddy List
wedding-

Registered: Aug 17, 2011
Review Date: Aug 18, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,000.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Optics are sharp, VRII is superb, quick to focus, great to handle.
Cons:
Close focusing distance.

This is really a no-brainer. It does everything it's being asked for. It's sharp, focuses quickly and never let's you down in any situation. Only the poor close focusing distance keeps this being a true classic.

The VRI had poor stabilisation, but the VRII is soooo much better. I can easily get sharp photos at 200mm and 10th of a second. Truly amazing!

(All of these photos were taken with the 70-200mm VRII in a recent wedding: http://www.jannemiettinen.fi/wedding-blog/blog/pre-wedding-photos-winter-tracy-victor/ )

Aug 18, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add wedding- to your Buddy List

Review Date: Apr 30, 2011 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Sharp !, great pro build, fast AF, splendid bokeh [ * NEW* VR2]
Cons:
weight, a little bit vignetting even with a FX, expensive

Definitively, it is THE BEST ONE in 70~200mm. I like to take portrait pictures and it is a dream to use it ....
Maybe expensive but you REALLY have for your money ....

exemple: http://www.pragstorage.com/photos_11/annevoie_2011/

Apr 30, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add hotline to your Buddy List
Digital Gold

Registered: Apr 17, 2011
Review Date: Apr 17, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Build quality, sharpness, focus speed.
Cons:
Weight, price, minimum focus distance.

This is one of my most commonly used lenses for photography portraits (when I'm not using the prime lenses). I also use this lens for automotive photography when I'm shooting on location and have lots of room to photograph the car. My only complaint is that the minimum focus distance. Sometimes I wish I could get in closer with this lens.

To see some examples of photos taken with this lens please visit my website and photography blog: http://digitalgoldphotography.com

Feel free to reach out to me with any specific questions.

Apr 17, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Digital Gold to your Buddy List
mholdef

Registered: Sep 25, 2005
Review Date: Oct 9, 2010 Recommend? | Price paid: $2,000.00

Pros: Superlative image quality across the range
Cons:
Bulky and heavy

This lens is a beast. In the studio I use the 85/1.4 90% of the time, but take this lens out for the tight head shots.

It's 90% as good as the 85 which is saying alot.

Oct 9, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add mholdef to your Buddy List
mholdef

Registered: Sep 25, 2005
Review Date: Aug 22, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp with great contrast
Cons:
Heavy

I use this lens mostly in the studio to complement my 85/1.4D which I use 80% of the time.

My initial fear was that for the 20% of the time this lens would disappoint compared to the 85mm at the coct of versatility.

In fact it doesnt disappoint at all in this area, the only downside is the wieght.

If not for the weight this would be my studio lens 100% of the time.

Mark

Aug 22, 2010

Review Date: May 31, 2010 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Still the best zoom lens at Nikon: very, very sharp, super fast focus.
Cons:
still heavy with tc 20 EC III
May 31, 2010
Jhwjresq

Registered: Jul 12, 2006
Review Date: May 1, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,299.00

Pros: Very sharp; deep color saturation; lots of contrast; focuses fast; VR-II is impressive; 2.8 is great on a lens that reaches like this; tripod collar rigid and works well and lets you quickly go vertical and back; great bokeh; great hood; very useful case
Cons:
Rather heavy (you won't want to carry it around all day or hike with it); rather conspicuous; tripod mount interfers just a bit with manual focusing; it will ruin you for most any other lens, would be nice if the case held the 2x teleconverter as well

It's just an outstanding piece. It's hard to imagine a better lens for what this is and what it does. The purity of the color and the detail of the image it creates with my D700 is really satisfying. I'm taking the shots that I've wanted to take for so long.

VR works well. VR-II is a substantial further step. This is great. I almost always shoot this lens from a tripod, but I've handheld as well, and it's all that.

It's hard to justify the price given how good the 70-300 is. It's hard to justify the price given how good the 80-200 is. It's hard to justify the price given how good the 70-200 VR is. But this is one outstanding lens and you are unlikely to regret the price once you've used this lens. It's exactly what it ought to be. It's wonderful.

May 1, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Jhwjresq to your Buddy List
Kurt Jones

Registered: Oct 19, 2002
Review Date: Mar 20, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,350.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: great construction, usual size for this style lens. VR works well.
Cons:
only used her on a 1.5x camera at the moment. She'll be on an FX camera very soon we'll see if I have the issue with softer corners and some vignetting that others speak of.

Picked this up 2nd hand.
One of my first Nikon lenses after recently switching over to Nikon after 20 years of Canon use.
My copy is Sharp as a tack and I have been very happy with it's performance so far.
Up to par if not exceeding a little bit, my old Canon L copy.
All in all. Love it and will probably step up to the VRII copy sooner than later.

Mar 20, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Kurt Jones to your Buddy List

Review Date: Mar 7, 2010 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Still a very good result with a TC-20 III onto a Nikkor 70-200 mm VR2 !! SHARP !
Cons:
the couple with a D700 is ... heavy

with D700, we have 140 ~ 400 mm and the result is very good !!
>>> HIGHLY RECOMMENDED <<<
You pay for what you WANT to get.

Some commercial aircraft at Brussels national airport ~ Belgium

Mar 7, 2010

Review Date: Jan 27, 2010 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Sharp enough the tc-20E III , good build
Cons:
expensive

Test nikkor 70-200 VR2 N with the new TC-20E III
with a Nikon D300. the crop with 1.5, we have 210-600 mm
F-5.6 to ISO 200 This is not the sharpness but I think the quality still adequate. Euro 499.00 to 701.00 USD
The teleconverter stops me to get another goal. I think the result is acceptable. Your comments are appreciated. ;-)))

Some pictures: http://www.pragstorage.com/photos_8/test_nikkor_70_200_vr2_tc_20e_iii/

Jan 27, 2010
Richard GT

Registered: Feb 18, 2009
Review Date: Jan 17, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, fast AF, color, contrast, bokeh & VR
Cons:
Weight (but you know that before buying it)

I've had a long career as a photographer (now retired) and used many lenses by many makers over the years. This lens, the Nikon 70-200VR, might very well be the best of them all.
Yes it is heavy but it balances well on my D300. It's worth every ounce. Love it for the reason sated above.

Jan 17, 2010