Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR

96 238474 Mar 18, 2014
2139NAS_180

Exclusive Silent Wave Motor enables ultra-high-speed autofocusing with exceptional accuracy and powerful super-quiet operation
VR operation offers the equivalent of using a shutter speed 3 stops faster. In addition, active vibration mode selection is possible. For using in an active situation such as in a car, boat or plane.
VR ON/OFF mode available
New cosmetic design
5 ED elements reduce chromatic aberrations providing superior optica performance - even at maximum aperture
Fully compatible with Nikon TC-14E II and TC-20E II Teleconverters
Internal Focusing (IF) design for smoother focusing and great body balance
M/A mode enable instant switching from autofocus to manual with virtually no lag time even during AF servo operation
No power consumption during manual focus operation
Rounded diaphragm (9 blades) for natural blur
Focuses as close as 4.9ft (AF) 4.6ft (MF)
High-performance Nikon Super Intergrated Coating offers superior color reproduction and minimizes ghost and flare
Detachable tripod mounting collar provided
Filter attachment does not rotate with focusing
New G design enables apertures to be selected from select Nikon AF SLR camera bodies
New G design incorporates distance informatin for flash and ambient light exposure processes
Fully compatible with D1X, D1H, D100, F5, F100, N80, N75 and N65

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6

molson

Registered: Oct 29, 2002
Review Date: Mar 25, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Superb image quality in every respect - sharpness, contrast, color rendition, "bokeh", and no light falloff. Much improved tripod collar.
Cons:
Expensive - but you get what you pay for!

I switched from the Canon system, and bought this lens (used from B&H) to replace my Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS lens. The difference is noticeable, especially in terms of contrast, color, and bokeh - the Nikon is clearly superior. Not having to deal with Canon's exclusive BackFocus™ was a nice bonus!

Even though this is a relatively heavy lens, it is very solidly built, and it handles very nicely. It actually feels lighter than it is. The new tripod collar is a nice improvement over the old 80-200mm f2.8 AF-S lens, too.

This lens makes an acceptable substitute for a macro lens when combined with a Canon 77mm 500D close-up lens. The creamy smooth out-of-focus backgrounds with this combination really make your subject stand out.

Mar 25, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add molson to your Buddy List
leewoolery

Registered: Feb 27, 2005
Review Date: Mar 4, 2005 Recommend? no | Price paid: $1,900.00 | Rating: 3

Pros: Didn't own it long enough to see anything positive but AFS is fast and quiet.
Cons:
Only owned for 2 weeks before trading in on Canon 70-200 2.8 but was not impressed with image quality and focusing accuracy on D2H...seemed to be focusing about 2 feet behind on both D2H and D-70

I purchased this lens in a last ditch effort to justify staying with Nikon...holding out for the D2X...or switching brands.

I was not impressed with the image quality of the 70-200 and the lens back-focused on both the D2H and D70 and although the AFS was fast it was not accurate and really seemed to hunt. In fact, the Sigma 120-300 has much better image quality and, even though the HSM is not as quick, at least the pictures were razor sharp.

The D2H/70-200 VR combination was poorly balanced and extremely heavy while shooting bull riding and basketball so I knew that a change would be necessary...and I wasn't waiting on a D2X.

If the images produced by this lens would have been sharp and the AF more accurate, I would probably have stayed with Nikon but I couldn't afford to wait for them to make the necessary adjustments at the Nikon USA East Coast repair facility....again!

I'm now the proud owner of a Canon Mark II and their 70-200 USM and I find that my concerns about "operator error" were unjust and the problem lied with either the D2H, the 70-200 AFS-VR-G or a combination of both. The images produced by the Canon lens are so much better than those produced by the Nikon equivalent.

I'm sure this lens on a properly adjusted D2H, D2Hs or D2X would produce some nice images but I wasn't going to take that chance.

Mar 4, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add leewoolery to your Buddy List
kalieaire

Registered: Nov 8, 2004
Review Date: Mar 2, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: ERGONOMICALLY CORRECT! Sharp VR etc..
Cons:
No lens is free?

ERGONOMICALLY CORRECT.

You'll undoudbtedly hear about how sharp and awesome this lens is, as well as the weight. But what you won't hear about is its ergonomics! You can rest your thumb and middle finger on the zoom ring and be able to manually focus with your index finger AT THE SAME TIME. Not even Canon's lens can do this with as much ease as Nikon! For this, it is totally worth the price you pay (from a discount retailer of course).

Mar 2, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add kalieaire to your Buddy List
greco

Registered: Feb 26, 2005
Review Date: Feb 26, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros:
Cons:

Excelent

Feb 26, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add greco to your Buddy List
clonardo

Registered: Jan 19, 2004
Review Date: Feb 20, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,250.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, fast AF, build quality, semi-quick release tripod foot, relatively thin barrel, hood easy to put on and remove
Cons:
annoyingly tight zoom ring (same thing on friend's copy, so it's not just me), flare

Cheaper than the Canon equivalent I used to own. Seems to handle better too. I definitely appreciate the tripod mount design, since it's like having a quick-release plate on every tripod/monopod you own. The barrel is thin and easy to grasp, I just don't know why they had to make the zoom ring so tight.

Also, the hood design is great, and requires less effort to mount than the Canon version.

Comparing this lens to the older 80-200/2.8D ED AF, I see flare more often. Still, it focuses faster, has VR, sports a nicer hood design, and handles better.

Probably the one lens type I couldn't do without (this is my fourth pro lens in the 70/80-200 range). For everything from sports to studio headshots, it's in my bag.

Feb 20, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add clonardo to your Buddy List
punkyrules

Registered: Oct 30, 2003
Review Date: Feb 11, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Great build quality, outstanding image quality (sharp!), fast, quiet
Cons:
Weight and Price

This lens is absolutely amazing. The sharpness and bokeh on it are phenomenal. The ergonomics on it are great and the VR is nice as well.

The lens hood is huge! Additionally, 77mm filters can get quite pricey.

Overall, you get what you pay for and this lens is definitely worth it.

Feb 11, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add punkyrules to your Buddy List
andrewlam

Registered: Dec 4, 2004
Review Date: Jan 17, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,449.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp, super-fast super-quiet AF, good bokeh, best looking images, built tough, good tripod mount design, perfect range, VR very useful and effective
Cons:
a bit heavy, a bit long, bad hood design

My most favorite lens to shoot with. This lens is built so tough. The images are amazing. The tripod collar is a good redesign from the 80-200, and easily removeable. Can't say the same for the hood-I need to secure it down with tape so I don't lose it. The VR is helpful in many situations. Seems Nikon R&D designed Active mode with paparazzi in mind, as Nikon is the weapon of choice, for shooting on motorcycles. I can't say I've used it much. It is a bit heavy to carry around for a very long time, but for shooting sports or other events for a few hours, it's fine.

Jan 17, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add andrewlam to your Buddy List
rcorrington

Registered: Aug 8, 2004
Review Date: Nov 20, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,599.95 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, beautiful bokeh, fast auto focus, rich color, VR works as advertised, the best looking f/2.8 of any lens I own.
Cons:
Lens is expensive, a bit too heavy when attempting a ton of handheld pictures, 77mm filters are expensive, the silent wave auto focus (AF-S) isn’t a quite as I would have expected.

At the time of this writing, all of my shots with this lens where handheld. I tracked my two year old son running through a pumpkin patch just before Thanksgiving. All of the shots are totally amazing… sharp, rich color, beautiful bokeh. This lens and the 50mm 1.4D are my primary lenses.

Nov 20, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add rcorrington to your Buddy List
ohthetrees

Registered: Apr 7, 2004
Review Date: Nov 3, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: lovely bokeh, super sharp, overall outstanding performance, VR works great
Cons:
documentation, "normal" vs "active" VR is confusing

There are only two cons to this lens.
1) It costs $$. But you get what you pay for, and in this case you might even be getting more than what you paid for. The detail is so sharp, and the operation and handling of this lens so nice, that it is hard to believe.

2) The instruction manual sucks. Normally it wouldn't matter, because how much documentation do you need for a lens? But the VR feature with the "active" and "normal" modes need a better explanation to describe the differences between these modes, and when to use them.

As for the pros, I'll keep it short: I can't really imagine a lens that performs better. I'm very satisfied.

Nov 3, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ohthetrees to your Buddy List
Unregistered
Review Date: Aug 29, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast focusing, razor sharp images, f/2.8, zoom range 70-200, vibration reduction.
Cons:
Expensive, heavy, large.

An excellent telephoto zoom lens with vibration reduction, fast focusing, and f/2.8. One of the best zoom lenses ever produced by Nikon, this one will be another Nikkor legend. When teamed with the 17-35 2.8 and 28-70 2.8, you have an unbeatable 3 lens line up.

Aug 29, 2004
Edit/Delete Message
magick

Registered: May 28, 2004
Review Date: Jun 4, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,522.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build.. VR.. Sharpness.. Ergonomics
Cons:
Price ! :)

My lens arrived two days ago. Having done some test, I was disappointed. Found out my unit gave me inconsistency lightfall when I’m zooming in & out on my F5 viewfinder. I do see vignetting at all corners from the viewfinder & hardcopy prints event without any filter or lens hood attached! I suspected something had to be wrong. Will be going over to Nikon on Monday to get things confirm. Hopefully a replacement unit will be on its way.

Other than that, the VR gave an awesome performance! Enable me to handheld at 1/4s and still get sharpness. Excellent image quality, blazing fast AF-S.

UPDATE (8 June, 04) : found out what causes the bad vignetting problem with my unit. my 77-72 step down ring! left it on after i used it with my nikon soft.

Conclusion: Highly recomended!!

Jun 4, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add magick to your Buddy List
GroovinPickle

Registered: Mar 19, 2004
Review Date: May 17, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,529.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, build, vibration reduction, contrast, bokeh.
Cons:
Could be cheaper, but pro glass (and that's what this is) costs money.

With Nikon's rebate program going on through the end of June '04, I decided to jump on this lens since I could double the $150 rebate for this particular product. I had only recently purchased a Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 (lovely lens), but I had heard so many good things about the VR system.

When my lens arrived, I was disappointed. I couldn't tell a difference in my pictures with VR on and with it off. And even then, sharpness was nowhere near what it was with my Sigma. I suspected something had to be wrong, and that was confirmed after talking to Nikon. Back the lens went, and my new one was on the way.

I got the replacement a couple of days ago, and the thing works beautifully. Need a shot at 200mm with a shutter of 1/10s? No problem, VR will take care of that camera shake. Want to shoot wide open? The sharpness isn't that much less than when stopped down. Shots at moderate apertures (e.g. f/5.6) are stunning. This is the only zoom I have in my bag, because I think it's 99% as sharp as primes in the same range.

Highly recommended - an amazing lens.

May 17, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add GroovinPickle to your Buddy List
Mr645

Registered: Jun 7, 2002
Review Date: Mar 25, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,799.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent build quality, awesome image quality, fast, quiet
Cons:
A bit long and expensive

Overall this is probably the best lens in it's range and speed. Nikon really made big improvements to their older 80-200 F2.8 optic. Image quality is much better when used on the Kodak DCS-760 and 14n cameras when compared to older Nikon 80-200 and a Tamron 80-200 F2.8 lenses.

Mar 25, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Mr645 to your Buddy List
photoshop48

Registered: Jun 23, 2003
Review Date: Jun 23, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,695.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: VR works quite well.
Cons:
Backpain

I have the Nikon 70-300 ED and have been very pleased with the image quality. This is my first VR lens and will be used for sporting events, concerts, wildlife and portraits. The VR works well, in fact I didn't know how well until I turned it off. Focus is quite fast. In fact I got several very sharp images of some darting draonflys at 200mm. Very pleased. Let me know if you want to see them. Tripod mount is excellent, although this is my first lens to even have a tripod mount, I don't have any complaints about the weight of the mounting or the ergonomics. I'm not used to 3lb lenses, as this one is 2lb heaver than my 70-300, but the speed (2.8) is wonderful and worth the effort. Finally, my work on this unit with the 2x Nikon TC 20EII shows very satisfactory results. I'm pleased with the purchase.

Jun 23, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add photoshop48 to your Buddy List
Brendan Getchel

Registered: Jun 14, 2003
Posts: 1990
Review Date: Jun 14, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,689.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharper at f/2.8 than the lens it replaces. Sublime Bokeh. Best-handling zoom made to date. VR truly gives you three stops, easily. 200mm at 1/5s are not only possible, it's become expected!
Cons:
Somewhat pricey ($1,700 on average). VR engages slower than equivalent IS. Reliability unproven.

Finally! That's all I can say. Nikon *finally* anted up with a true pro-caliber, image stabilized lens and it's a true competitor. Check that -- owning both the Canon 70-200/2.8L IS USM and the Nikon 70-200/2.8G AF-S VR together, I can *honestly* say that the Nikon lens is superior in virtually every benchmark save one: IS/VR "lock-on" time. VR takes a moment longer to positively engage than does IS. Under most shooting situations this has not been an issue, but under some conditions I can envision it being problematic. That said, this is the only advantage the current iteration of the Canon IS lens possesses.

The Nikon is sharper at all tested focal lengths and aperture -- especially at f/2.8. The "bokeh" provided by the Nikon is noticeably more smooth and buttery with a transition from focus to defocus that rivals vaunted primes such as Nikon's 85/1.4D and Canon's 85/1.2L. The Canon's bokeh is no slouch either, and is impressive in its own right, but Nikon are masters of zoom bokeh, and the 70-200/VR is proof. Additionally VR, while slower to engage, does deliver another 1/2 to 1 full stop of effective stabilization over IS on these particular lenses. I can routinely expect sharp exposures at 200mm down to 1/5s with my amateur, non-pro handheld technique. It is a confidence-inspiring lens that EVERY Nikon owner MUST add to their collection.

Now if they can introduce similar VR performance in their long teles I may consider switching BACK to Nikon ;-)

Jun 14, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Brendan Getchel to your Buddy List
Stripper

Registered: Dec 11, 2002
Review Date: May 8, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,695.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build, Feel, Fast focus, Color rendition, Sharpness, Bokah, VR.
Cons:
Mild tendancy to flare, layout of controls (I'm getting used to it), price

I have only had this lens for a couple of weeks, but it has become my "people lens". It is lighter than its 80-200 AFS predecessor, and, to me, feels somewhat more balanced on the camera.

Before I decided to buy it, my local photo store (Roberts Photo) let me put it on my camera and walk around the block to take some photos. When I looked at them on the computer later that night, what first impressed me was the color rendition. The colors were like what you would expect from a good prime lens. Never having used an IS or VR lens before, I was also happy to see that the obligatory "brick wall" shot was sharp at 200mm @1/30.

After looking at the results, I went back to Roberts and bought the lens the next day. Two weeks later, I am really impressed with the defocus quality of the backgrounds I have gotten, and the color and sharpness continue to impress. The VR takes some getting used to, but I am getting more and more use out of it all the time.

My only problem with the lens so far, was with some shots I took at the Indiana State Legislature. It was dark in the chambers, and there was some strong backlighting from an open door behind the podium. When I wasn't careful about my framing and the angle I choose, I got some flare from the light of the open door. I don't think my 300 AFS would have given me this flare problem, but since it has no VR, I would have needed a tripod to get the same shot.

Anyway, I really like the lens so far, and I am sure it will get a lot of use. Mechanically, it has performed flawlessly so far (knock on wood).

May 8, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Stripper to your Buddy List

Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR