Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR

96 239045 Mar 18, 2014
2139NAS_180

Exclusive Silent Wave Motor enables ultra-high-speed autofocusing with exceptional accuracy and powerful super-quiet operation
VR operation offers the equivalent of using a shutter speed 3 stops faster. In addition, active vibration mode selection is possible. For using in an active situation such as in a car, boat or plane.
VR ON/OFF mode available
New cosmetic design
5 ED elements reduce chromatic aberrations providing superior optica performance - even at maximum aperture
Fully compatible with Nikon TC-14E II and TC-20E II Teleconverters
Internal Focusing (IF) design for smoother focusing and great body balance
M/A mode enable instant switching from autofocus to manual with virtually no lag time even during AF servo operation
No power consumption during manual focus operation
Rounded diaphragm (9 blades) for natural blur
Focuses as close as 4.9ft (AF) 4.6ft (MF)
High-performance Nikon Super Intergrated Coating offers superior color reproduction and minimizes ghost and flare
Detachable tripod mounting collar provided
Filter attachment does not rotate with focusing
New G design enables apertures to be selected from select Nikon AF SLR camera bodies
New G design incorporates distance informatin for flash and ambient light exposure processes
Fully compatible with D1X, D1H, D100, F5, F100, N80, N75 and N65

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6  next

Virgil

Registered: Nov 30, 2004
Location: Austria
Review Date: Dec 30, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: speed, sharpness, handling, VR works like magic
Cons:
expensive

I achived great results with my former 70-300G tele-lens. But the first time i used the 70-200VR i saw how much easier i could have achived my shots in comparison. This lens is sharp, easy to use and very fast. VR works as advertised. It´s simply a great lens.

Dec 30, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Virgil to your Buddy List
Charles Loy

Registered: May 3, 2004
Review Date: Dec 6, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: VR that works! I like the normal and active VR setting, well done Nikon. Well balanced lens, good enough tripod mount and a decent hood.
Cons:

I have banged around with Nikons for over 25 years, owning more lenses then I can recall. I am serious when I state this is the best zoom lens I have ever owned.

Dec 6, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Charles Loy to your Buddy List
LarryFRCGP

Registered: Oct 4, 2005
Review Date: Oct 7, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,580.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Reference-standard sharpness from 70-200mm. Superb colour rendition. VR mechansim is extremely useful and reduces wastage shots. Built is tank like. In all, a dream. Worth every cents, even 2x the list price!
Cons:
I would prefer a crinkled finish personally.

I have owned 3 AF 80-200mm zooms prior to this one and I was never convince Nikon can do it right for that focal length. All until I tested out this 80-200mm VR after a long wait and I found myself paying it before I realised!

Zooming is silent and lightning fast. Focusing is dead on and with VR, you can be sure of the focus even down to 1/15s. As pointed out by other professionals, there seem to be a sweet spot with VR--Set to Normal, it works best when exposure ranges from 1/15 to 1/30. Below 1/5 well, you need God's hand to assist you.

The lens hood is a plus and I find I am using it 95% of times.

I was about to buy a $400 Glitzo tripod gor this babe but the more I experience with the VR, the less I find myself needing it.

Literally, the ultimate of Nikon's three non-DX AF-S Zoom Kings.

Larry

Oct 7, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add LarryFRCGP to your Buddy List
summergoose

Registered: Jan 18, 2005
Review Date: Oct 3, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,595.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Wonderful available light pictures with 2.8 & VR - this lens constantly amazes me with the colors and light that it captures.
Cons:
Its big and expensive, but worth every penny.

I'm constantly amazed at the beautiful available light pictures that this lens captures. The unity candlle at the front of the church between the bride and groom or capturing the falcon in flight this is one amazing lens.

The color reproduction is outstanding. The focus ring and all controls are a true joy. My 80 - 200 is gathering dust.

Oct 3, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add summergoose to your Buddy List
maximage

Registered: Jan 24, 2005
Review Date: Oct 1, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Image quality beats the primes it covers. Super fast and silent AF. VR works as advertised (3 stops). Beautiful silky smooth bokeh. Great lens body design (tripod mount, hood, weather seal, etc).
Cons:
none. absoltely NONE

If you can afford it, by all means get it. Image quality is every bit as good as the primes it replaces. It's simply the best 70-200 out there on the market today. I've been constantly amazed by the images this lens captures for me.

Only negative aspect I can think of is that it will make many of your other lenses sit on the shelf for the most of the time.

Oct 1, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add maximage to your Buddy List
Kari Post

Registered: Jan 9, 2005
Review Date: Sep 25, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: great image quality, good shots in low light thanks to VR, beautiful bokeh, sharp, good colors
Cons:
size, price

I am absolutely amazed by this lens. The colors and sharpness are by far the best of the lenses I have, and I've found myself carrying this huge (at least by comparison to the rest of my lenses) lens around a lot more than I thought I would. Focus is usually spot on and very sharp, and AF-S is a dream - this lens is quite fast and very quiet. VR works well and I can definately see a difference when shooting in low light or at ridiculously slow shutter speeds. I haven't tried using the "active VR mode" used for shooting from a moving vehicle nor have I done a lot of work with it mounted on a tripod, so I don't feel I should comment on its tripod collar or active VR mode. This lens is much bigger and heavier than the others I own, but for the most part I haven't found is so much so that I can't handhold for an entire football game or so. I'm not sure I'd be super excited to carry this lens hiking with me, but it does take excellent photos that make it well worth the extra weight and bulk. The bokeh is great and OOF elements look really nice in photos. I think the color of this lens is the best in my lineup. I've used this lens for mostly sports and some animal and people portraits, and I love it. I can't wait to use it more.

Sep 25, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Kari Post to your Buddy List
James Markus

Registered: Jul 19, 2005
Review Date: Sep 19, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Very Sharp, fast & quiet focusing, excellent VR, pleasing bokeh, stunning results!
Cons:
Big, and expensive

I have shot Nikon for over 35 years, and this has become my new favorite lens. I didn't like the price, but I now think it well worth every penney. Two thumbs up from this Photog.

Sep 19, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add James Markus to your Buddy List
andydeGroot

Registered: Jan 18, 2005
Review Date: Sep 10, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp, VR, bokeh, tripod mount removable
Cons:
would prefer a hood that is built in.

After 9 months this lens continues to amaze me with its performance. Even while using either the 1.4 or the 2.0 teleconverter the lens is excellent. It isn't always mounted on my D2x, but I do always carry it.

Sep 10, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add andydeGroot to your Buddy List
Bill_K

Registered: Aug 19, 2005
Review Date: Aug 26, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,375.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: very fast, razor sharp; VR is superb
Cons:
On the heavy side, But itis worth it for sure

I took this lens out for the first time to the San Francisco Zoo and was very impressed with my keepers, I got almost 100% keepers out of about 300 pictures, You can find a sample picture here http://jeffgordon-24.com/Bird1.jpg
Go for it, Well worth the money.
Bill K

Aug 26, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Bill_K to your Buddy List
bradleys83

Registered: Feb 13, 2005
Review Date: Aug 13, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, Fast AF, Great Contrast, VR Works
Cons:
Big + Heavy

AF is Fast, Images are Razor sharp, VR Works well, enjoyable lens to work with, built tough with great handling. A lens I use often and has not missed a beat. It is heavy, it is expensive but it is a professional F2.8 zoom.

Aug 13, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add bradleys83 to your Buddy List
Alpinestars

Registered: Apr 12, 2005
Review Date: Jul 25, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Blink focus, nice contrast, outstanding OF, as sharp as the 180mm prime that it replaced
Cons:
Tight focus ring, a bit pricey

This is the lense that renewed my faith in zooms, or at least Nikkor's R&D.

Jul 25, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Alpinestars to your Buddy List
gogol

Registered: Aug 1, 2002
Review Date: Jul 20, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: very fast, razor sharp; VR is superb
Cons:
expensive, but worth every cent!

....it took me some time to make the final decision to spend quite a big sum for this lens. After I got it, I argued with myself for not having made the purchase earlier.....

The lens is rather big, however, it is still very easy to handle. VR is superb! I would recommend it to friend without any hesitation.

Jul 20, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add gogol to your Buddy List
darman

Registered: May 10, 2004
Review Date: Jun 4, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,250.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: it is exactly what looked for. I make sport photography and of action and is a true jewel as far as rapidity of approach and vr works very well at low speeds. I have gotten to do tennis to 1/125 and perfect.
Cons:
weight much but with good monopié solved problem.

Jun 4, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add darman to your Buddy List
jb_va2001

Registered: May 12, 2004
Review Date: May 18, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, fast, a quality lens in every way. VR is effective.
Cons:
Large, heavy, expensive.

Large, heavy, expensive and worth it. Another outstanding Nikkor zoom. It's sharp and fast. VR is effective but I use it on a tripod most of the time reducing the need.

May 18, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jb_va2001 to your Buddy List
Julius

Registered: Jan 26, 2002
Review Date: Apr 27, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,599.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent built quality, great ergonomics with removable tripod foot, sharp with pleasant bokeh
Cons:

This is a replacement for the Canon 70-200 IS lens I had before I switched back to Nikon (D2X). While the Canon lens I had easily outperforms this lens wide open, the rest of the f/Stops are comparable and the bokeh of this lens is nicer, smoother. I really like the ergonomics of this lens with the removable tripod foot which makes hand holding a lot easier.
My opinion is the VR not quite as efficient as the IS in the Canon equivalent, where I could easily gain 3 f/Stops vs a max of 2 with this one. However all in all I am very pleased with this lens and the pictures it produces.

Apr 27, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Julius to your Buddy List
obelix

Registered: Jun 21, 2004
Review Date: Apr 11, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,570.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great color, sharpness and bokeh, at every aperture and every focal length. VR works.
Cons:
Cost, heavy.

Has every thing you need in a lens and two you don't (price, weight).

Extremely sharp, very contrasty pictures, great bokeh and very usable in every aperture and every focal length.

Apr 11, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add obelix to your Buddy List

Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR