Nikon 35-70mm f/2.8D AF

21 114713 Nov 19, 2010
1963NAS_180

Excellent, fast aperture zoom lens for general photography
Push-pull type zoom is ideal for zoom effects during shooting
Distortion is well controlled throughout range

Page:  1 · 2
Dinesh

Registered: Dec 29, 2004
Review Date: Dec 29, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Exellent definition and colour rendition. Tough, well made. Useful constant maximun aperture. Reasonably compact for the quality and performance. Well balanced on the heavier Nikon bodies despite the weight
Cons:
Numeric markings rub of over the years. Push pull zoom sucks in air leading to possible fungus problems.

This review is for the non-D version of this lens which I understand is exactly the same optically and mechanically (except the aperture lock which was improved in the D version and easily snapped off in the non-D).
I used it over a period of ten years and it took considerable battering and survived without a mechanical glitch. The distance markings run off after a while which is annoying and reduces the resale value of the lens (I suppose one could try and treat it with more respect than I did).
It seems heavy by todays standards but that's comparing with lenses that just aren't as tough. It's very well balanced with bodies like the F90/N90 or heavier F4/F5.
The optical quality is truely excellent; sharp to the frame edges and very good even at f/2.8. I sometimes wished for the zoom range to go down to 28mm but you can't have everything. In fact I would suggest that, unless your photography doesn't give you time to change lenses, you're better of with this lens and a separate 28mm prime (the Nikkor 28mm f/2.8 AIS is stunning)
In the end it suffered from a fungus attack. I think this came about since the push pull design of the lens sucks in a lot of air and in my case probably fungus spores on a trip to humid Cambodia! Nikon couldn't clean the elements and I had to sell it off as a soft focus lens (yuk!)

Dec 29, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Dinesh to your Buddy List
rcorrington

Registered: Aug 8, 2004
Review Date: Nov 20, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $679.95 | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharp even at f2.8, good color and contrast. Although it has a limited zoom range compared to many other mid range zoom lenses, the 35-70mm range works well for me. Good weight, size and balance on my D70.
Cons:
Iím not a big fan of the push-pull zoom model. Personally, I like the zoom ring sported by my other lenses.

Iíve never used the macro capability. I used my 50mm f1.4D AF most of the time to capture my active two year old son. However, when we play outside Iíll use this lens. I can put a little extra distance between us and still capture terrific shoots.

Nov 20, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add rcorrington to your Buddy List
Unregistered
Review Date: Mar 17, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $475.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: razor sharp lens, reasonable cost, size, and weight. the macro mode is a bonus.
Cons:
range of zoom is a bit narrower than other models.

If you want the sharpest lens but can't afford the 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF AF-S or you want something much smaller and lighter, this is the lens. It has an old school feel, but it's engineering has stood the test of time. I also have the consumer-grade plasticy 24-85mm 3.5-4.5G and I would recommend this hands down. The 24-85 has more zoom range, but is a bit fuzzy. The 35-70mm f/2.8D is razor sharp and feels and performs much better. Note: Although other posts recommend against the macro mode, I have been quite impressed with the sharpness as well.

Mar 17, 2004
Edit/Delete Message
Jacques G

Registered: Aug 19, 2002
Review Date: Jun 18, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: This is my main lens in the studio. Sharpness unthinkable in a zoom lens. Even macro is very acceptable.
Cons:
Slower to focus than AFS.

This lens is a real bargain.

Jun 18, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Jacques G to your Buddy List
hick53

Registered: Aug 17, 2002
Review Date: Apr 7, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp, fast lens. Push/pull zoom is smooth yet damped to prevent "creep" when lens is pointed down. Excellent saturated color and contrast.
Cons:
Not recommended as a macro lens, even though it has a macro setting.

This is an excellent lens as long as you stay away from the macro setting. Very sharp moderate-wide landscape lens. I use it as my "normal" lens. The macro setting at 35mm should be avoided unless you are desperate. Stick with a dedicated macro lens. Highly recommended.

Apr 7, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add hick53 to your Buddy List

Nikon 35-70mm f/2.8D AF