Nikon 35-70mm f/2.8D AF

20 116035 Nov 19, 2010
1963NAS_180

Excellent, fast aperture zoom lens for general photography
Push-pull type zoom is ideal for zoom effects during shooting
Distortion is well controlled throughout range

Page:  1 · 2
Dinesh

Registered: Dec 29, 2004
Review Date: Dec 29, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Exellent definition and colour rendition. Tough, well made. Useful constant maximun aperture. Reasonably compact for the quality and performance. Well balanced on the heavier Nikon bodies despite the weight
Cons:
Numeric markings rub of over the years. Push pull zoom sucks in air leading to possible fungus problems.

This review is for the non-D version of this lens which I understand is exactly the same optically and mechanically (except the aperture lock which was improved in the D version and easily snapped off in the non-D).
I used it over a period of ten years and it took considerable battering and survived without a mechanical glitch. The distance markings run off after a while which is annoying and reduces the resale value of the lens (I suppose one could try and treat it with more respect than I did).
It seems heavy by todays standards but that's comparing with lenses that just aren't as tough. It's very well balanced with bodies like the F90/N90 or heavier F4/F5.
The optical quality is truely excellent; sharp to the frame edges and very good even at f/2.8. I sometimes wished for the zoom range to go down to 28mm but you can't have everything. In fact I would suggest that, unless your photography doesn't give you time to change lenses, you're better of with this lens and a separate 28mm prime (the Nikkor 28mm f/2.8 AIS is stunning)
In the end it suffered from a fungus attack. I think this came about since the push pull design of the lens sucks in a lot of air and in my case probably fungus spores on a trip to humid Cambodia! Nikon couldn't clean the elements and I had to sell it off as a soft focus lens (yuk!)

Dec 29, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Dinesh to your Buddy List
rcorrington

Registered: Aug 8, 2004
Review Date: Nov 20, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $679.95 | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharp even at f2.8, good color and contrast. Although it has a limited zoom range compared to many other mid range zoom lenses, the 35-70mm range works well for me. Good weight, size and balance on my D70.
Cons:
Iím not a big fan of the push-pull zoom model. Personally, I like the zoom ring sported by my other lenses.

Iíve never used the macro capability. I used my 50mm f1.4D AF most of the time to capture my active two year old son. However, when we play outside Iíll use this lens. I can put a little extra distance between us and still capture terrific shoots.

Nov 20, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add rcorrington to your Buddy List
Jacques G

Registered: Aug 19, 2002
Review Date: Jun 18, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: This is my main lens in the studio. Sharpness unthinkable in a zoom lens. Even macro is very acceptable.
Cons:
Slower to focus than AFS.

This lens is a real bargain.

Jun 18, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Jacques G to your Buddy List
hick53

Registered: Aug 17, 2002
Review Date: Apr 7, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp, fast lens. Push/pull zoom is smooth yet damped to prevent "creep" when lens is pointed down. Excellent saturated color and contrast.
Cons:
Not recommended as a macro lens, even though it has a macro setting.

This is an excellent lens as long as you stay away from the macro setting. Very sharp moderate-wide landscape lens. I use it as my "normal" lens. The macro setting at 35mm should be avoided unless you are desperate. Stick with a dedicated macro lens. Highly recommended.

Apr 7, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add hick53 to your Buddy List

Nikon 35-70mm f/2.8D AF