Nikon 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF

2143NCP_180

New Nikkor cosmetic design
3 Extra-Low Dispersion (ED) glass elements for minimized chromatic aberration
3 Aspherical lens element for low distortion
Rounded diaphragm to make out-of-focus elements appear more natural
G Type DX Nikkor is designed exclusively for use with Nikon SLR models where aperture is controlled from body
Nikon D-type design provides precise distance information for flash and ambient light exposure processes
High-performance Nikon Super Integrated Coating offers superior color reproduction and minimises ghost and flare
Fully Compatible with D1X, D1H, D100, F5, F100, N80, N75, N65 and N55
World's lightest 28-200mm lens
Shortest closest focusing distance (1.3 ft at 200mm) of any 28-200mm lens
Internal focusing for smoother focusing and better body balance

Page:  1 · 2  next

pwsth1

Registered: Jan 16, 2008
Review Date: Jan 15, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: Extreme lightweight, great zoom range (ideal for a full frame film or digital body) for almost any situation, extremely sharp when stopped down a bit. No chromatic aberrations. Close focusing, and nice background bokeh.
Cons:
Horrible plastic bayonet, extreme barrel distortion (can be easily corrected). When used wide open, the lens is soft, and corners at 28mm are really terrible.

I was looking for an "all-round" lens to fit my D700, and found this one in excellent condition on a 2nd hand market. I wanted to use it for the occasional holiday trip, when I did not want to carry heavy glass with me.

Knowing that this kind of lens always is a compromise, I was very surprised that the image quality was actually very good. (see all the pro remarks).

On the D200 / F80 / F100 / D700, focus is fast enough, no worries there either. So, the only real flaws are the distortion, and the fact that the lens is pretty slow (F3,5 - 5,6) But on a holiday, we all want great weather anyway!!!

This lens will definitely stay!

Jan 15, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add pwsth1 to your Buddy List
Ceesie

Registered: May 25, 2009
Review Date: Mar 6, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $200.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Small, lightweight, cheap
Cons:
No AF-S (this means a turning focusring while autofocusing)

I was looking for some good glass for my D700. Found a 24-80 that I wasn't happy about so I sold it again. Now I found this little gem, brand new in a store. Great little lens! For this price, I bought it right away.
It's sharp, versatile and very very small and light! I couldn't believe what kind of cool pictures came from it!
This really is going to be my all-day lens and for other assignments I still have my prime collection.

Mar 6, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Ceesie to your Buddy List
Gary_O

Registered: Mar 28, 2009
Review Date: Jan 21, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $98.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Lightweight, Fullframe capable, unbelievably sharp for the price ($98 used), Saturation is great, Color repro matchs newer Nikon lenses.
Cons:
Out of Production, Plastic Mount

I bought this lens just a gap lens until I got my other lenses for full frame when I first purchase my D700. I really had no intentions of this lens staying my collectin for very long. It has however proved it's worth to me as well performing, lightweight walkaround lens with a nice range and sharp picture capacities. It is not perfect in the corners put I know of few real photographer that put their main subject in the corners. To travel light on a recent vacation I took my D700, 14 f2.8, this lens and an SB-600 as the entire kit and did not miss a shot. Only this I wish is that it had the metal mount of 'D' version... Love this lens.....

Jan 21, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Gary_O to your Buddy List
Dirk Hiemstra

Registered: Nov 22, 2007
Review Date: Nov 27, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Good value for money. Sharp. Nice macro. Lightweight.
Cons:
No wide angle on DSLR

I was looking for some kind of a low budget 200mm solution going together with a kitlens and found several possibilities as the 70-210, 55-200, 80-200 and 28-200 D. The expensive 18-200 VR was no option budgetwise, neither were the 2.8 varieties... 28-200D has no added value apart from the aperture ring and the "professional" weight and pictures from this lens are poor. Also my copy of the 70-210 gave me (to)soft pictures. The only lens equaling the picture quality of the 28-200G was the 80-200, even the 55-200 did not come close. Changing lenses is no big fun, you always miss the ultimate shot, so I decided to go for the 28-200G. As already stated, picture quality is very good compared to its rivals and this lens is a very nice lightweigthed walkaround lens for mainly outside the house: you only could miss the wide end, but I didn't..

Nov 27, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Dirk Hiemstra to your Buddy List
kool100vr4

Registered: Apr 23, 2004
Review Date: Aug 19, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $195.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: A good lens
Cons:
Cheapy made in Thailand with plastic rear mount.

I bought this lens to try out, after 3 weeks and shot over 500 shots, i sold it, it just a cheaper version Nikon made, i wasnt so thrilled with it. The sharpness is average, nothing to talk about. Soft at both ends.
I replaced it with Sigma 28-200mm a much better choice , Sigma is a better lens in overall quality and performance.

Aug 19, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add kool100vr4 to your Buddy List
patricio

Registered: Dec 23, 2005
Review Date: Feb 10, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $200.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp Contrasty Compact Light Cheap Near Macro abilities
Cons:
Plastic lens mount Slow focus

First thing I noticed about this lens was how light and compact it was. It's body is made of plastic and so is the plastic lens mount. I dont think that this will survive when dropped or banged so it's a no no for rough assignments. Mounting the lens on my D70, it gives a small play in the lens mount, not tight and play-free as my other metal mount Nikkors. The focusing is a bit slow as expected since this lens still uses the old Nikon screw focusing mechanism on my D70.

Image quality is where this lens really shines. It's tack sharp and contrasty. Colors seem to pop more compared to my D70 kit lens 18-70. The zoom range is just perfect for an all around lens for street portraits. The bokeh produced in the longer focal lenghts is very pleasing. I also like the near macro close focusing abilities of this lens. Combined with an ultrawide 12-24 this would make a near perfect travel lens kit if you still have not bought the 18-200VR superzoom.

Feb 10, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add patricio to your Buddy List

Review Date: Nov 29, 2006 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: resistance to flare
Cons:

I've since let go of this lens to help me fund my 18-200mm VR purchase, but I have fond memories of this lens, and a lot of pictures to show for it.

i forgot to mention that this lens has pretty good resistance to flare, and can close-focus pretty well.

sunset shots from Boracay, Philippines (an island with lovely beaches)

when the photographer becomes the subject

orange delight

how about some prawns?

Nov 29, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add crosstrainer to your Buddy List
ERS99

Registered: Jun 27, 2006
Review Date: Jun 30, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Size, price, sharpness, Nikkor quality, overall a great value
Cons:
speed, limited wide angle

I was looking for a walk-around lens for my D50, one that would give me a versatile range at a reasonable price. At $300, this seemed to fit the bill.

I have found it to be acceptably sharp in all but the lowest light situations. Although it is far from fast (f5.6 at 200mm), I am able to rely on the D50's very good ISO capabilities to make up for that. At the long end of the glass, you need to shoot at least 1/250 or use a tripod. If you do, you won't be disappointed.

The limited wide angle (42mm equivalent), is a shortcoming, but my 18-55 kit is nearby, although honestly, not used very often.

Overall, I am very pleased with the quality and the value of this lens.

Jun 30, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ERS99 to your Buddy List
striker1027

Registered: May 17, 2006
Location: Tanzania
Review Date: May 17, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, Zoom Range, IF, Provided Hood, ED, Compactness,decent build quality
Cons:
focus not very fast

This is a nicely built compact ultra-zoom, I found it beyond my expectation. Sharp even at 200mm. 42-300mm equiv. on DSLR make it a good walk-around len. Highly recommended

May 17, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add striker1027 to your Buddy List

Review Date: Feb 11, 2006 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros:
Cons:
Feb 11, 2006

Review Date: Jan 8, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $225.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: compact, light, quick zoom and relatively cheap
Cons:
noisy AF, and can be slow to focus from infinity to about 2 feet.

I wasn't really looking for a 28-200mm zoom when I passed by our local photography store, but then the owner gave me an offer I can't refuse.. over a $100 in savings if I bought this lens new on that day.

I'm glad he did!

This lens is a gem. Compact and light, it looks a little bigger than the baby 18-55mm kit lens that i have on my D50, but a twist of the zoom collar, and this baby extends to more than double it's lenght!

Sure, a 2.8 version would be friendlier at full magnification, and at 200mm, VR is sorely missed but I can't complain at this price.

If you have steady hands, you can get away with 1/15 shutter speed like I do, but if not, have your tripod with you.

I think this will be my all-around walk-about lens. Can't wait to hit the beach with these.

Jan 8, 2006
laphotogallery

Registered: Dec 7, 2003
Review Date: Dec 21, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $300.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharp, Zoom Range, IF, Provided Hood, ED, Low Price
Cons:
Pinchusion Distortion (long End) on Full Frame Body

I have used this lens both on my N80 (full Frame) and on my D50. I highly recommend it for DX format cameras. However on full frame, the pincushion distortion at 200MM is circus like.

Dec 21, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add laphotogallery to your Buddy List
markgoldberg

Registered: Aug 27, 2005
Review Date: Dec 6, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $300.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Compactness, benefit to cost ratio, versatility
Cons:
Plastic construction especially the mount scares me; a DX lens in this size would have saved even more size and weight; would have preferred faster than f5.6 at tele end.

This got recommended to me by an instructor in Nikon School. He said it was his travel lens but not well suited to professional work. I was going to Florida so I bought it to avoid toting my 80-200 f2.8 beast.

I was mainly interested in the 70-200 range since 70 and below is covered by other lenses. This is now my second smallest lens, but it does work far out of proportion to its size weight and cost.

It is a real sleeper and does far more than I expected. It is almost pocketable, and made the difference in me getting some stunning shots while on vacation. Even the shots at the far end have nice depth of field reduction, and I have been able to use it for some environmental portaits.

I was shooting a football game video and put this one on a D70 to occupy my 15-year old son, who in not an experienced photographer. Well, he came back with some amazing game shots -- real zingers by any standard.

So I call it "The little lens that could."

Dec 6, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add markgoldberg to your Buddy List
Grognard

Registered: Jun 11, 2005
Review Date: Aug 16, 2005 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: A nice light walk about lens
Cons:
Filter size, STANDARDIZE PLEASE!

I really like this lens as a complement to my 18-70mm, and it did not break my budget. Reasonablely sharp and contrasty, I have enjoyed it a lot. I just wish Nikon would standardize on a filter size.

Aug 16, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Grognard to your Buddy List
Grognard

Registered: Jun 11, 2005
Review Date: Aug 16, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $350.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: An excellent starter zoom for my D70. I have been exceptionally well pleased with this lens, and it is nicely sharp for my purposes. I have no regrets at all, and if on a budget (as I am) it gives you a 200mm length lens. Very light, makes a nice "walk about" lens.
Cons:
Filter element, I wish Nikon would standardize its element sizes. A little slow, so dim lighted shots need flash or a higher ISO.

Aug 16, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Grognard to your Buddy List
ssnap

Registered: Feb 13, 2005
Review Date: Mar 5, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $300.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Good sharp walk around lens at a low price, and has IF to keep the front element from rotaiting during AF/MF allowing for easier use of my CP filter.
Cons:
No AF-S

For a plastic body it feels sturdy and I know that the plastic mount isn't the most popular but how big of a difference with a lens that will stay on your camera the majority of the time? Also it's not a heavy weight coming in lighter than my 18-70 DX. I would also say that I'm getting sharper images than I do with the 18-70DX. I the 28-200 G so much that I got rid of the 18-70 because I didn't use it. I don't miss the wide angle and if I really get serious about it I'll get the Nikon 12-24mm DX.
If you're just an average day to day user I'd recommend this little gem. Even if you are serious about photography as a hobby you will be very pleased with this lens. I tested this in the store with the 24-120 VR and found that my images from this were sharper during normal use, of course it can't match the VR's slow shutter speed performance. I don't regret my choice, and am very happy to have this little guy.

Mar 5, 2005