Nikon 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5D AF

18 94658 Feb 7, 2013
8.8
1971NCP_180

Superior optical performance through use of IF technology and Aspheric lens element
Versatile lens for shooting landscapes, group shots and head and shoulder type portraits
9 bladed diaphragm produce natural out of focus highlights

Page:  1 · 2  next

Geoff_K

Registered: Jan 13, 2009
Review Date: Feb 7, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $215.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Nice zoom range on FX with 1:2 macro ability. Short and small lens which helps hide it on a DSLR.
Cons:
F3.5-f4.5, though in a pinch the newer cameras can push the iso. Still a negative.

I bought this to use on my D800E. YES YES YES, good glass good glass and all that.

I am thinking I wanted to go primes and wanted to see what focal lengths I shot nearest.

So far I have chosen the Nikon 85mm f1.8 which I would rate at a 9ish, thus the 7ish on this lens is pretty good.

It is a small sized lens with a great range with a fair aperture rating. it is only .5 slower than the f4 lenses out there now. It shoots 1:2 macro's.

If you can pick one up cheaply while you build cash or decide on a lens, I would recommend it as a very good walk around lens. The macro feature is nice.

My first lens review. ;- )

Feb 7, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Geoff_K to your Buddy List
piotrek636

Registered: Feb 10, 2011
Review Date: Feb 10, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $150.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: sharp, macro
Cons:
front element rotates, ugly lens hood

This is my favourite Nikon lens. I sold my 50mm prime lens after buying this one. It is super sharp when stopped down just a little. Even wide open its pretty sharp. The macro feature of this lens is unbelievable. I just love it. This lens is like a swiss army knife. Its 105mm macro and decent range walk around zoom in one. It will even be more useful when I eventually switch to FX. My only complain is the huge goofy lens hood it comes with.

Feb 10, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add piotrek636 to your Buddy List
Carl Feather

Registered: Oct 26, 2007
Review Date: Jan 7, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $150.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great range, light weight, sharp, flare well controlled, good macro, well built, cheap.
Cons:
Variable aperture, but still less than one stop over a substantial range. 62mm filter

This lens is glued to my D7000, especially since that body can easily overcome the shortfall of the f/3.5-4.5 aperture. I love this lens and the excellent images it delivers. I also have the 24-70 that I use on my D700, but shooting with the D7000/28-105 is such a pleasure that I usually go for the lighter-weight package for my personal images.
I use the D7000 and 28-105 in my daily job as a newspaper writer and photographer and rarely have to change to a different optic (I don't do much sports work). For portraits, groups and scenics, this lens is just sweet.
The price is amazing. I've seen it for as little as $100. I bought mine from a seller on Nikon Cafe and it was near mint. I've not tried it on my D700, but I image the results would be great.
Another little gem from this era to look for is this lens' cousin, the 28-70 f/3.5-4.5. When I was shooting film, it stayed on my F4s and delivered excellent images.

Jan 7, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Carl Feather to your Buddy List
Don Olson

Registered: Sep 24, 2006
Review Date: Dec 25, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Lighter weight than my 28/70;very sharp at the edges;makes for a very nice walkaround with the1/2 macro a plus.
Cons:
For me there really isn't any. Maybe for some the front element extending zoomed but it doesn't bother me.

This is the second one I've had after mistakenly selling the first. Though my 28/70 is pretty much my meat and potatoes lens this is no slouch in any respect and I'm more inclined to use it for a walkaround though I have made many of my best prints with this lens.

The first worked very well on DX (D50 and D1X) taking into account the angle of view and this one is very much at home on FX (D700)

I've used it for portraits, landscape, still life and macro pretty much does it all.

Dec 25, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Don Olson to your Buddy List
glass works

Registered: Jun 11, 2010
Review Date: Jun 11, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: mid price walkabout lens very low distortion for a consumer product reasonably sharp
Cons:
silly hood manual focus difficult

I bought this lens after after dropping a nikkor 28-70 (soft) and buying a sigma 28-105 (absolutely terrible distortion) in error.

This is a great consumer grade lens. Good sharpness but also exceptionally low distortion - great for taking people and buildings

Focussing on FM3A a little difficult due to quarter turn from infinity to 0.5 but this is a small price to pay.

Hood completely pointless

Jun 11, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add glass works to your Buddy List
Iron_Dreamer

Registered: Dec 12, 2007
Review Date: Oct 27, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $150.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp and low distortion for a 4x zoom, extremely useful 1:2 magnification in macro mode, 9-blade aperture for smooth bokeh
Cons:
Short focus track (makes MF difficult), focus ring moves with AF, front element rotates with zoom, slight purple fringing around high contrast areas on the long end (wide open), ridiculous hood

This is the best all-purpose lens I've found for my D700. It has a better close-up mode than just about any other zoom. It is very sharp edge-to-edge stopped down on the wide end for land/city-scapes. The 105 f/4.5 end can get you a decent amount of background blur for subject isolation. The 9-bladed aperture keeps the backgrounds relatively smooth and rounded. The AF is very quick, but as a side effect, MF can be difficult if precision is required.

The lens is a nice size, and the plastic feels tougher than its' more recent Nikkor counterparts. There are a few ergonomic/build quality issues, such as the overly large and clunky hood, rotating front element, and moving focus ring. However, they are minor annoyances at worst, and certainly not worth overlooking this excellent, and often undervalued lens.

Oct 27, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Iron_Dreamer to your Buddy List
martyn.

Registered: Jul 29, 2007
Review Date: Jun 18, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Low cost, sharp, lightweight, nice walkabout range produces some great images
Cons:

Picked this copy up used, and although its previous owner possibly used this in a war zone, optically it is flawless. It is a great size and weight as a stay on walk around lens, when you only want to take one lens with you. I love the feel and size of the lenses of this vintage, and prefer them to the current drain pipe proportioned AFS offerings.

The quality of the images this little gem produces are superb, even wide open.

Jun 18, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add martyn. to your Buddy List
Richard GT

Registered: Feb 18, 2009
Review Date: Apr 29, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Good range, very sharp stopped down a little, light weight, macro capability, excellent bokeh and nearly no distortion. Price!
Cons:

My current copy of this lens is my second copy. Soon after selling the first copy I realized my mistake and got another. I use and prefer the 28-105 to my excellent 35-70 2.8.
The images are sharp and the bokeh from the 9 blades produce a very pleasing bokeh. Straight lines stay straight with this 16 oz. gem. They can now be had in like-new condition for $150 to $175. What's not to like?

Apr 29, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Richard GT to your Buddy List
Jeff Spain

Registered: Jan 4, 2008
Review Date: Jan 4, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $435.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Zoom range, light, Macro
Cons:
Consumer lens

This is a great walk around lens. In my studio, images are not very sharp, need to get to F11 or more for good quality. However, for a consumer lens it is better than I expected. Love the Macro Zoom feature. Not as good as the Nikon prime Macro lens, but better than I was expecting.

I no longer use this lens much for pro work, but it is the Swiss Army knife of lens and great to have for a walk around

Jan 4, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Jeff Spain to your Buddy List
Jeroen Wijnand

Registered: Aug 29, 2007
Review Date: Aug 29, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $180.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp Very usable range 1:2 macro at the flick of a switch
Cons:
Front element rotates when zooming hard to find a second hand copy ugly hood

When I was looking for a lens to replace my 28-80D and my 35-70 3.3-4.5 I decided I didn't need wider than 28mm but that a bit more range would come in useful. I also had so much fun with the macro option of the 35-70 that I also wanted some sort of macro function on the new lens.

After reading tons of reviews this one ended on my shortlist. Took me 2 months before I found a used copy for a mere 125 euros.

This lens is now my walk around lens and it has not yet disappointed. Must have shot 3000-4000 pics since I bought it 8 months ago. CA has only been an issue on 5 shots.

It's sharp, it focusses really quickly, the manual focus ring is very usable but since infinity to 0.5 meters is only about 50 degrees rotation it does take a bit of getting used to.

Macro mode works exceptionally well, it's razor sharp in the center, focusses to about 15 centimeters and even AF works well. Macro is only a matter of flicking a switch (only from 50-105mm) which means that if you're walking somewhere and you see an interesting bug or plant you dont even need to change lenses.

Some people state that the front element rotates. Not entirely true, it's an IF design so it doesn't rotate while focussing. It does rotate a bit while zooming.

The intended hood isn't that easy to find and is very ugly so I opted for a generic 62mm screw in hood.

This lens will probably stay with me untill I wear it out or untill I can afford a fast 28-70ish lens and even then I will probably keep it for it's 1:2 macro.

All in all a very good lens which I'd recommend to anyone.

Aug 29, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Jeroen Wijnand to your Buddy List
snegron

Registered: Apr 13, 2005
Review Date: Jul 7, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $300.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Very sharp, virtually distortion free. For the price you can't find a better lens. Macro function works better than I expected.
Cons:
Rotating front element, extends a bit too much when zoomed out to 105, don't waste time with the useless goofy-looking optional hood.

I purchased this lens as a walkaround lens mostly based on specs I had read and the fact that it was less heavy and less expensive than my Nikon 17-55mm 2.8. I was pleasently surprised with the results from this lens.

I would say that the images are just as sharp as the ones shot with my 17-55.

Drawbacks for this lens are the rotating front element and the fact that it extends a bit too much for my taste when at 105. Also, I made the mistake of purchasing the optional hood. It looks like one of those collars placed on dogs after they have had ear surgery!

This lens is always mounted on my D70s and I take it with me as a backup lens when I shoot weddings.

I would highly recommend this lens for anyone needing a versatile, sharp lens. You can't beat it for the price!

Jul 7, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add snegron to your Buddy List
Thomas Russ

Registered: Sep 7, 2006
Location: Austria
Review Date: Sep 18, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $238.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: macro function, sharp, inexpensive for the lens quality, build
Cons:
rotates when zooming, on a dslr only 42mm

Sep 18, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Thomas Russ to your Buddy List
Slugo

Registered: Dec 25, 2005
Review Date: Apr 25, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Very well built lens. I'm using it on my D50 and it meets around 85% of my picture taking needs. It's very sharp and produces life like images without much need to post process. The macro function works extremely well IMO.
Cons:
When used on a DSLR the effective range when converted is only 42mm on the wide end.. just not enough to call it wide angle. But then on the other end it's equivalent to a 158mm lens. I would call it a very good cropping lens.

The lens has no shortcomings IMO, except maybe its lack of a WA perspective when used on a DSLR. The performance has been nothing short of spectacular. Build quality is extremely good. I love the macro mode, comes in handy without having to change the lens. Inside when used with the SB-600 Speedlight, it does exceptionally well, especially in the bounce mode. I use this lens for just about all of my general picture taking...

Apr 25, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Slugo to your Buddy List
markgoldberg

Registered: Aug 27, 2005
Review Date: Dec 6, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent optical quality and macro function, excellent build quality, very useful range for a variety of assignments especially social functions
Cons:
I don't like the lens hood design; hard to carry in bag; would have preferred a soft hood

I bought this in 2000 when I switched my gear over to D-type bodies, metering, and flashes. It was mainly used on an excellent N90S bodies. I sold that body in 2004 after going digital.

I used this lens for a while in digital, but it was supplanted by my 18-70 having equivalent range for digital. I kept this around for critical shots and backup, but now since I have the 18-70, 28-200, and 17-55, this is better off with a new owner so it is up for sale.

In its time of active service with me, it was my main 35mm lens and the only one I had in its zoom range (unlike overlap in digital). Its macro function is really fantastic since it is a tele macro. Even though this is not an ED lens, the optical performance is excellent. It got most of the shots for my social event 35mm jobs and was on cam for personal stuff too. Prior to betting this 28-105, I had a 35-135 and a 28-70 (small version). It took over for both of those and had far better mechanical quality than the 35-135.

I see these going for about $325 street price, and it is a great value to the 35mm film shooter.

While I am ambivalent about letting this one go, I will be happy for the great results it will bring to its new owner, whomever that is.

Dec 6, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add markgoldberg to your Buddy List
creechge

Registered: May 15, 2005
Review Date: May 29, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $265.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: lens quality, build, weight, macro
Cons:
really none. Would prefer a 1:1 macro ratio, but you're generally not going to get that with a zoom

I bought this lens, mainly because I couldn't find the price I wanted on the Nikon 105 micro. I've been more than happy with it, and I use it as my "walk-around" lens more often than the kit 18-70mm that came with the D70. I take a lot of close-ups, and I've been very pleased with its macro capability. The zoom range lets me use it in a variety of situations, and the optics are terrific at all focal lengths.

If you want to see some photos taken with it, check out my gallery at http://www.pbase.com/gecreech/closeups.

May 29, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add creechge to your Buddy List
camerapapi

Registered: Oct 15, 2002
Review Date: Mar 30, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $300.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Light, sharp, practical range of focal lengths (conventional cameras)
Cons:
Flare under front lighting (most zooms do) Rotation of the front element.

We all know how popular the 28-105mm lens has become, specially for conventional photography. This lens plays its part and it plays it very well.
It is well made, sharp mainly from f8 to f22 and somewhat soft at large apertures. I think it does very well for a zoom in this range and we all know that zooms are going to have compromises. We are simply exchanging many of the characteristics of a prime lens for convenience.
My best images have come when on a tripod using small lens openings. I like the "macro" function which at least for me has proven to be very useful.
I do recommend this lens.
William Rodriguez