Sigma 300-800mm f5.6 EX IF APO HSM

17 223812 May 3, 2012
300_800_1_

The Sigma APO 300-800mm F5.6 EX IF HSM is one of several new products introduced at Photokina 2002 by Sigma Corporation of Japan (2-3-15, Iwado-Minami, Komae-shi, Tokyo, Japan). Sigma APO 300-800mm F5.6 EX IF HSM provides a constant F-number from 300mm telephoto to 800mm ultra-telephoto. This super-telephoto zoom lens has a horizontal angle of view of 6.9°at 300mm and 2.6°at 800mm. Its ability to zoom from a fixed position offers unparalleled versatility in composing an image. It incorporates two pieces of ELD (Extraordinary Low Dispersion) glass in the front for effective compensation of chromatic aberration. Since focusing and zooming do not change its overall length, this lens offers ease of handling and operation. The HSM ensures a quiet, high-speed AF function as well as full-time manual focusing capability for Sigma, Canon, Nikon mount lenses. A 46mm filter can be inserted near the rear of the lens, and a circular polarizing filter can be used. When this lens is used with the 1.4x EX or 2x EX Apo Tele Converters (optional), it becomes a 420-1120mm F8 MF lens or a 600-1600mm F11 MF lens respectively. The lens materials used in this new lens are lead and arsenic free ecological glass.

Page:  1 · 2  next

spm75

Registered: Aug 19, 2005
Review Date: May 3, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: sharp, fast af, wide zoom range
Cons:
size, weight You do have to have a plan where you go. Not for people who likes to walk around in the woods and take photos while.

I bought this awesome piece of equipment last month.
First, I felt a bit like, I did a wrong turn, buying this.
I had some difficulties at first, using it.
But after few times, I've been more and more pleased with it.

It delirives sharp contrasty images.

Example photos:

(Motacilla alba)
(Sterna hirundo)

It is quite good following a moving object.

Example photos:

(Hirundo rustica)
(Fulica atra)

Before decision, buying it, I read from several forums, that it requires a sturby stand.
I have Manfrotto 055 + 029 -combo and didnt have any difficulties with blur due to camera shake.

Only thing one should be aware of, is that if the thing crashes to the ground, it crashes hard!

!!Due to the size, it is relatively easy to make it happen!!

May 3, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add spm75 to your Buddy List
iammikie

Registered: Oct 20, 2004
Review Date: Sep 11, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Zoom Range, sharpness, quiet focus
Cons:
Weight, no image stabilization

This is the second one I have owned. I purchased the first one in 2003? when they first came out and I was using Canon equipment. I sold that some time ago and have recently purchased the new version of this lens, and I use it with the Nikon D300. It is much better at focusing and is sharper than my first setup, especially at slower shutter speeds and in low light; I credit that to the Nikon system. The new lens coatings used have reduces flair, which was never that big a deal.

Having owned or used all of the Nikon and Canon long lenses, I came back to this as it is so versatile, no need to bring a carload of primes when this does the job of all of them in one package. Like all super-teles you need to have a stable tripod and head, as well as good technique.

Sep 11, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add iammikie to your Buddy List
Lil Judd

Registered: Oct 19, 2007
Review Date: Feb 17, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Probably my most used lens. It's sharp - even wide open. I love the zoom range...
Cons:
OK - Sigmonster is called Sigmonster for a reason - it's huge & heavy. It takes me a while to set up.... ;)

I got my Sigmonster just about a year ago now. Since then I have to say it's my most used lens. I always wanted to shoot wildlife & always longed for longer lenses. I also like to work with zooms.

This one fit the bill for me. I can zoom & I have reach. I'm now out almost every weekend with it. And without it I feel lost. I have so many shots with it, it's almost insane.

I was concerned about transporting it, but got a "Beach-Rolly" with which I roll it around all over in the terrain.

Anyone who wants to see what this lens can produce need just go to my Zenfolio site & look - - it's very prominent there.

I love it - & if focal length is what you need & want - this is it. I have not regretted this buy once.

Feb 17, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Lil Judd to your Buddy List
Portengen

Registered: Jul 3, 2008
Review Date: Jul 3, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $4,800.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Extremely sharp, quick autofocus, great build quality
Cons:
Heavy!, no focus-limiter

I really like this piece of glass. Although it weights a ton and is rather large, it's quite good to carry around. You do need a very sturdy tripod with a large ballhead (Like the Arca Swiss B1g) or a gimbal head to use this lens properly. Up till 750mm it stays extremely sharp, even with the lens wide open (5.6).
For 800mm, the lens becomes a bit soft, but still very acceptable. It's actual sharper then a Nikon 600mm f4 AF-S VR with teleconvertor lens a friend has. F5.6 is very useable at 800mm.
At 300mm, f5.6 of course is rather slow. The funny thing about this lens that the 300mm range is great for finding the subject. Once found, just zoom in to 700mm or more and press.
Zoom and focus are very smooth and precise. This lens really proofs that Sigma has moved up from just another third-party-lens to a real competitor for the brand-lenses.

Jul 3, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Portengen to your Buddy List
CyberDyne

Registered: Oct 7, 2003
Review Date: Feb 25, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Amazing quality of build and Image, competes with high end primes. Flexible zoom range, 5 super telephotos in one!
Cons:
Weight, Needs IS/OS, Size, f/5.6 NO focus limit switch?!

I only kept the "Sigmonster" for a short time.
It's amazing image quality and flexible focal range was not enough to justify keeping it along with my Stand bye EF 500mm f/4L IS.

However during that short year I was amazed at this optic's prime like image quality. It is quite simply the most amazing Zoom I have used. Besting even the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS for that "Prime Look" i crave.

It's zoom range would seem to indicate that this would be a fabulously flexible lens.

However in practice I found this not to be the case as I suspected it would be. To the contrary, I found it's weight and lack of Image Stabilization coupled with slower aperture (and thus slower shutter speeds) to be a huge draw back and made it a lot less flexible in actual use than the EF 500mm Prime with T-cons.

It MUST be used on a sturdy tripod due to weight, and even on a high end Gitzo with a massive Gimble head, camera shake wreaks havoc @ focal lengths beyond 500mm.

On must really learn to be a "Rock" when shooting at these focal lengths. Keeper ratios as compared to the faster primes with IS.

the lens is capable of amazing optical results. There is no question, for the right person this lens CAN be that one lens to fit all. However, I suggest people think carefully about if this is the lens for you. Mastering it is not for the faint of heart.

Ergonomics and the little things SIGMA does with there high end EX lenses are as always superb. You can read my review of the EX 500mm f/4.5mm to see how I feel these ergonomic choices stack up against Canon, but in brief, I think SIGMA tries harder with the little details and succeeds in doing better.
The Focus ring and zoom ring are second to none, and the better balance on the tripod collar means better easier truing on "roller bearing like" rotations from landscape to portrait and back.

In the end, despite coveting it and wanting to hold onto it for the sheer wow factor and it's amazing flexible zoom, (I'd love to be able to afford to keep it for those rare occasions it would be the better choice compared to the EF 500mm)
We did in the end have ti part.

I have great respect for this amazing lens though, SIGMA has once again pioneered one of the best Zoom lenses in the world.
I have greater respect for those that use this lens and get such amazing results from it in use. It takes hard work and discipline IMHO and anyone that tells you differently is Modest!

Some Simple samples for your consideration:
100% crop of above

Feb 25, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add CyberDyne to your Buddy List
mrcolin2u

Registered: Jun 30, 2005
Review Date: Feb 24, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: The zoom range. Picture quality. Price.
Cons:

Unlike the previous post. I have owned and used this lens for about 12 months. I heard there was a learning curve with using this lens ,but with a good quality tripod ,it works wonders.
I bought a gitzo carbon fibre tripod and wimberley head and with my canon 40D, is an amazing set up for bird or wild life photography. This lens is exremely sharp and I am more than happy with my purchase.

It is heavy, but that is the nature of the beast.
Being able to zoom in and out to compose a bird in a frame is a big advantage. Did I mention it was sharp.

Feb 24, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mrcolin2u to your Buddy List
toomas

Registered: Oct 7, 2004
Location: Estonia
Review Date: Nov 26, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Range & reach
Cons:
Construction, no IS

I had this lens as a loaner for about a week this summer. Coming from a series of Canon L-series lenses, I was a bit disappointed with the quality of it. But just a bit. Still I have to say - the amazing zoom range and focal lenght of this monster makes up for all the flaws it has!

Some sample images, taken with 1D MII:

Nov 26, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add toomas to your Buddy List
m4schler

Registered: May 18, 2006
Review Date: Jan 2, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Razor sharp, fast focussing and nice wide zoom range
Cons:
Size and weight (duh), a bit of focus hunting

My name is Matt and I am a fast sharp lens addict, an extremely expensive addiction. I read about this lens on various reviews and determined it would be perfect for the way I shoot. After looking for awhile, I found this lens used on EBay for less than half its MSRP. I was told that it was being sold for a client that took it on safari in Africa and didn't need it anymore. It has a very slight rub mark on the bottom from bracing on a Landrover during the safari. A lot of money for me at that time, but I would do it over again if I had to.

I own a good number of L lenses for my Canon digital bodies and I can truthfully say that this is the sharpest (with the possible exception of my 200/1.8) lens in my arsenal. SigMonster it is. Yes, it is heavy, but I have handheld it for pictures of soaring turkey vultures that came out great. I have taken shots down to 1/90s at 800mm with this lens and at that I could literally could see the reflection of my house in the Goldfinch's eyes. I use it mostly on a monopod without a gimbal head and the weight is not a problem. In fact, I believe the weight and length of this lens actually help with such shots due to the high moment of inertia it presents to damp quick movements endemic to shorter lenses.

This lens is an absolute MUST for birding and photohunting. It has tons of versatility, a wide range and is compatible with teleconverters. It really enables you to reach out from a distance and grab the shots you need. Next step for me is to put it on an equatorial telescope mount and see just how far I can reach out. Jupiter anyone? Seriously though, if you have this lens and do astrophotography there is no need for a Takahashi scope -- you already have optics that rival one. I have read about problems with build quality with Sigma lenses, but I believe that you have the same problems with Canon L lenses as well. I have a Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS USM that I now think is a dud because of this lens.

To sum up, I would not trade this lens for a Canon lens even if a matching one existed in the Canon line. I could not ask for a sharper lens and more verstaility in a single package. My biggest wuandary now is whether to give it's little brother, the 120-300 a try!

Jan 2, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add m4schler to your Buddy List
Toon de Smit

Registered: Dec 8, 2006
Review Date: Dec 8, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Color, Zoom, contrast and sharpness
Cons:
You don't walk very far with this lens The finish does not hold

I own this lens a little over a year and I am very pleased with the results. I hesitated between the Nikon 500 and this lens. The Nikon had more contrast and sharpness and a more blue character.
I use it for birdphotography. I like it’s versatility. The ability to zoom gives you a high hitrate. With 300mm you search and once you found your target you zoom in. The color, contrast and sharpness is very pleasing. I also own Nikon lenses and I discovered that in CS2 I try to make the Nikons look like the Sigma!
Up until 700 mm the lens is very sharp but also 800mm can be used. Although wide open already gives wonderful images I like to stop down a little. I find myself often choose a higher iso to be able to use f6,3 or f7,1. The only wish I have is that I could focus a little faster in low light.

You can see what I do with the lens at:

you can also see that I slowly improv my photography. I like to think that it is thans to this piece of equipment.

Dec 8, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Toon de Smit to your Buddy List
Daniel 33146

Registered: Jul 11, 2006
Review Date: Jul 13, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $4,057.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: It is a great lens for wildlife photography

Jul 13, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Daniel 33146 to your Buddy List
ragebot

Registered: Mar 1, 2006
Review Date: Jun 23, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Best kill area of any lens I know of
Cons:
Requires great disipline to get good images.

This review is only after one week of using my 300-800 and it may require an update.

My negatives seem a little different than those other folks put in. Anyone who has read the specs for this lens should know how much it weighs, how big it is physically, and that it does not have IS. IMHO those are not negatives, they are specs of the lens. Also keep in mind that the review of the Canon 400 5.6 has heavy, bulky, and no IS as negatives for that lens.

This is not an easy lens to use. It requires a good tripod and a gimbal head to really take advantage of its capabilities. And it probably helps to shoot MLU and use a remote shutter release, or delay. I have a Gitzo 1410 and the Bogen gimbal head and this is the level of support this lens needs for me to get good results. I have seen claims that you can shoot with a monopod and I have never tired using one. Yet I feel comfortable saying IQ would suffer if you tried based on the results of my use with a good tripod and gimbal mount.

I do have a Sigma 120-300 that I have used with a tripod and Sidekick and find that combination works very well. One problem with this lens is unless you have a tripod you would get tired very quickly just holding and ballancing it on a monopod.

To a large extent that means you are very immobile with this lens. You can shoot from a blind or a good location that lots of birds go by, but forget about running after them. I have a couple of spots where I know birds congegrate and it is a wonderful tool there however.

If you do have a good support system the IQ is quite good. Others have run tests if you are interested in that sort of thing and it takes a 1.4 or even a 2X TC and still produces nice images. So when you see posts about using a 400 2.8 with a TC to match the FL of this lens keep in mind nothing comes close to it with no TC, and if you start putting TC on other lens nothing comes close to it with a TC on it.

Which brings me to the reason most folks will consider this lens. It has a monster kill area. You really can get usable images of birds in the 50-100 yard range. And at a reasonably fast fstop. Would you really want the primary to be twice the diameter so you could get faster than 5.6?

But keep in mind that this is a very specialized lens. You will be shooting from very few locations and moving is a big deal. You have to plan how you will set the tripod/lens/camera (and maybe TC) up, where you will set it up, what mode you will be shooting in (stuff like MLU and delay or remote shutter release), the order you will take stuff apart, how you will move everything (like in one trip or two), where you will move it to, and how to reassemble it. So when I say photographer disipline it is in a sense like almost no other lens.

While my primary goal for this lens is wildlife (mostly birds) I also do astrophotography. Some of the best results I have from this lens is not using the tripod and gimbal head, but an astronomical tripod and mount. I have an Atlas mount and tripod described at this link

that does a great job of supporting the lens and camera.

My history of astrophotography has helped me develope the disipline I think is required to use this lens. When you have a tripod and head that weighs over 75 pounds you dont consider moving it lightly. Nevertheless it took me a couple of tests at local parks before I got down the procedures I now use most of the time.

I would suggest anyone who gets this lens do the same thing. Take it to a local park and capture some images of pigeons there. It is great pratice. You will get some idea of how you want to set things up, how to use MLU and delay or remote shutter release, or just put it in burst mode and snap away.

Then take the images home and look at them. See how things affect the IQ. See what level of IQ you are satisfied with, and how much or little you are willing to sacrafice for ease of use.

This lens in a way reminds me of the old ditty "It is not suprising that elephants dance well, but that elephants dance at all". You are probably going to wind up with a tripod, head, camera, and lens that weigh at least 25 pounds and is at least four feet off the ground (probably closer to five feet).

But once you get a little experience under your belt you will have a kill zone that beats anything but a few other 800mm lens. And this one has zoom so you can easily crop with out moving, and find stuff in the view finder at 300 and then zero in to 800. Did I mention it took me a couple of hours to figure that one out?

As for my ratings I gave it straight 10 because there is nothing else like it. Not to mention that the IQ with good disipline is really quite exceptional.

I highly recomend this lens to anyone who understands you will be shooting the same way I did with my old 4X5 view camera, very tedious and slow. And the results are of the same quality if you can deal with this type of shooting.

Jun 23, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ragebot to your Buddy List

Review Date: Jun 16, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: VERY SHARP competes with L primes.
Cons:
Heavy yes, but after all ... its the SIGMONSTER

The best lenses of my collection. Its a wonderful lens.

The 300-800mm zoom range is brilliant. Find your subject with ease at 300mm. Then bam! your at 800mm firing away at little birdies. Sure, I wish it had IS. But its good and stable on a full wimberly.

I actually managed to get a picture of Saturn with this lens several nights ago! Remember with a 2xTC this is a 1600mm lens!

Jun 16, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add  to your Buddy List
Photonic

Registered: Apr 24, 2003
Review Date: Jun 7, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $4,875.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Extremely versatile zoom range - Very sharp - Fast autofocus - Value
Cons:
Heavy - Lacks IS

I purchased this lens new and have evaluated it extensively over the last month. I have decided that this is an exceptional wildlife (birding in particular) lens which matches my expectations going in. My unexpected suprise was that it is equally strong as an outdoor daytime field sports lens (soccer, lax, football) on a FF body.

History: I have owned a wide complememnt of long Canon glass including the 200/1.8, 300/2.8 IS, and 500/4 IS. About a year ago I purchased a Sigma 150/2.8 macro. I discovered a lens that was as good as any Canon I owned in terms of build quality and IQ. Since then, after side by side comparison, I have replace my Canon 300/2.8 with the Sigma 120-300 and my 500/4 with the Sigma 300-800. In my testing I found the 300 and 500mm Canon primes to be ever so slightly sharper. The difference, however, was so small that it did not outweight the versatility of the zoom.

As other have said this lens is big and heavy. It REQUIRES a tripod and gimbal head (I use the Bogen/Manfrotto 3421 as well - a great value for a solid, well balanced, fluid motion camera platform). In the field, it is cumbersome to move any large lens/heavy tripod combo around. It can also be very alarming to wildlife you are trying to photograph. The ability to zoom over a wide range from a stationary position is of extraordinary value for such an application. Add in the 800mm reach and you have the near ultimate birding/wildlife lens. I had not anticipated missing IS on this lens since it would always be used on a tripod. I have, however, had a number of shooting situations where having IS would have been very handy (800mm on a 1.6x body, windy, waning light). If Sigma ever gets its IS act down, I fear Canon is going to face some very respectable competition.

Normally I use the 300-800mm on my 30D for birding. Recently I had occasion to shoot a soccer game using a 5D body. I was VERY pleased with the results. Autofocus speed was totally up to the task and this combination has produced my best soccer results to date. Previously I used a 30D with 300/2.8 plus a 5D with 135/2 (two body solution), then I switched to a 30D with 120-300/2.8 (one body). With the 300-800mm on the 5D I can cover forwards, midfielders, defenders, and goally all from the end line. IQ is second to none. Once again, for this application, the zoom range is a huge asset.

All in all I can say that I am 100% pleased with this lens. If you are willing to haul it around it will reward you with extremely high quality results some of which would have been impossible with any other setup.

Jun 7, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Photonic to your Buddy List
mhecker

Registered: Oct 28, 2004
Review Date: Mar 22, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,995.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Superb optical quality, incredible reach, low price, the only true superzoom.
Cons:
It's heavy, it's a sigmonster!

The is an incredible piece of glass. I found it for $2995 on ebay at IT Overstock. They had 3 for sale. It was grey market with a Euopean warranty but, Sigma USA honors the 1 year international warranty.

It's focus speed matches any USM lens I own. It is sharper at 400mm than my EOS 400mm f5.6 lens. It is tack sharp from 300-800mm at f8. I use it on a Bogen 3421 Gimbal head with a Bogen 3021 tripod and it is perfectly balanced with a 20D or 5D.
The Bogen head is a steal. The Bogen head is lighter, more rigid and $400 cheaper than a Wimberly head. I have tried a friends Wimberly head so I can make a direct AB.

See http://www.wyofoto.com/images/Great_Horned_1_800.jpg for a shot taken at 800mm, exposure was 1/40 sec at f8 with -1 f-stop fill flash on a 20D.

Mar 22, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add mhecker to your Buddy List
planete

Registered: Dec 1, 2005
Review Date: Mar 10, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $4,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp! super-quality build, tremendous reach
Cons:
heavy, unwieldy

super sharp, takes excellent pictures. i have mine mounted to a bogen 516 head for my video camera and it's solid. but mostly i bought this to keep in my truck, because where i live, i see a lot of fabulous wildlife shots out my car window, and didn't have enough reach for quick out-of-the-window shots. i can just lay this on a beanbag on the window of my vehicle and get some really nice bird shots.

here's a kestrel i recently encountered. i shot this at about 70 yards:

it's a lot of weight to carry, and it's unwieldy, so it's definitely not all-purpose. but i love it for my purposes. here's a photo of it hooked up to my XL2 video camera:

there's a 7.2x crop factor on a video camera. now *that's* some reach! lots of fun taking sky shots and moonshots on video....

Mar 10, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add planete to your Buddy List
Liquidstone

Registered: Jan 13, 2005
Review Date: May 8, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Super sharp from 300 to 700 mm, even wide open. The thin DOF allows me to separate the subject from the background. Decent at 800 mm wide open, sharp at f/8 and back to super sharp at f/11. It can take a 1.4x or 2x TC very well.
Cons:
Heavy , and the HSM though fast is still not as fast as the USM of my canon 400 5.6L and 100-400 L IS.

I got one of the first DG copies of this monster zoom about a month ago and I was pleasantly surprised with its optical performance.

It's much sharper and contrastier than my beloved Canon 400 5.6L, the sharpest of my bird lenses that include the Bigma and the Canon 100-400 L IS.

Here's a shootout between this lens and the 400 5.6L:

Sure it's heavy and cumbersome, but what 800 mm super telephoto isn't? I knew that before I bought it and I just consider the weight and size as a price to pay for extreme reach.

I support mine with the Manfrotto 3421 gimbal head and a 475B tripod, and the combo is joy to work with in the field. When I snap on a 2x TC, I've gotten sharp bird pics at shutter speeds as low as 1/100 sec.

Here's a couple of bird pics using TCs - first is with a Tamron 1.4x TC (1120 mm) and second is with a Sigma 2x TC (1600 mm), both shot at distances in excess of 60 meters.

Here's a moonshot at 1600 mm:

The Sigmonster (my nickname for this lens) has allowed me to extend my "kill zone" to as far a radius as 100 meters on larger birds.

It's definitely not a hand holding lens (I use my 400 5.6L and 100-400 L IS for that), rather I consider it as a fixed big gun for those extremely long shots of shy and difficult to approach birds.

After several thousands of bird pics, I can say that I'm very happy with the Sigmonster, and would buy another one again in case (heaven forbid!) I somehow lose my present one.

Here's a link to galleries with pics of the Sigmonster and the birds it took:

Cheers,

Romy Ocon
www.pbase.com/liquidstone

May 8, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Liquidstone to your Buddy List

Sigma 300-800mm f5.6 EX IF APO HSM