Sigma 100-300mm f4 EX IF HSM APO

98 366722 Aug 26, 2012
9.2
100-300if_1_

Sigma 100-300mm f4 EX APO IF HSM is one of several EX-Series lenses. This telephoto zoom lens provides a large constant F4 maximum aperture at all focal lengths. The use of Apochromatic design and 4 SLD (The Special Low Dispersion) glass elements (two SLD glass elements are utilized in the front lens group and two in the rear group) for full correction of chromatic aberration and providing a high level of optical performance. The AF drive for Sigma SA, Canon and Nikon cameras is equipped with silent, responsive and high speed HSM (Hyper Sonic Motor) as well as fulltime manual focus. A removable tripod mount is provided with the lens. This lens incorporates an internal focusing system, which eliminates front lens rotation, allowing the use of a Perfect Hood and easy to use circular polarizing filter. Since focusing and zooming do not change its overall length, this lens is easy to hold and use. It is also possible to use this lens with Sigma 1.4x EX and 2x EX Apo Tele Converters to make ultra tele-zoom lens. The lens materials used in this new lens are lead and arsenic free ecological glass.

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7  next
adam613

Registered: Jan 17, 2008
Review Date: Oct 7, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $625.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent image quality, even with a 1.4x TC. Accurate and reasonably fast AF. Smooth zoom and focus rings. Compact, given its capabilities. Inexpensive on the used market.
Cons:
Paint peels off (like most Sigma EX lenses)

The Sigma 100-300 f/4 is one of the best deals on the used market right now...the image quality is on par with high-end telephoto zooms such as the Canon 100-400. AF is reasonably quick and quite accurate. The zoom ring is very usable for manual focus. While not a small lens, it's reasonably-sized for a 100-300 f/4 zoom. The build quality isn't in the same league as the high-end lenses from Tokina and Canon, but it's solid other than Sigma's typical paint-peeling issues.

I wouldn't recommend buying this lens new...current prices are around $1100, and at that price there are other options. But it's selling for $650 or so used, and it's a steal at that price...L-level image quality for a non-L price.

Oct 7, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add adam613 to your Buddy List
Etienne Otero

Registered: Jan 10, 2008
Review Date: Sep 25, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $650.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: super fast and accurate AF, large rings, super sharp, well constructed, light and compact in comparison to others in its class, reliable.
Cons:
only f/4...

It seems everything has been said already... I just love my copy.

Sep 25, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Etienne Otero to your Buddy List
packpe89

Registered: Mar 5, 2004
Review Date: Jul 7, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, AF Speed
Cons:
Weight

I recently got this lens to replace a 300F4 L, non-IS. I really liked the 300, but had always wanted to try the Sigma. Before trading the 300, I did some test and, yes the prime was a bit sharper at 300 and F4 about equal at 5.6, but at 200, the Sigma was as good as my 70-200 2.8IS. What really surprised me, was the AF. It is on par with the Canons. At least as fast as the 70-200, and very close to the 300. It is heavy, but I usually shoot sports with a monopod, so no problem there. Focus was good with both my 30D and 1dmk2. A great sports lens!

Jul 7, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add packpe89 to your Buddy List
isogood

Registered: Sep 19, 2005
Review Date: Jun 5, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,080.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: very sharp till 200 mm, HSM, F4 aperture, image quality
Cons:
Some AF issues on 20D and 40D, needs monopod.

ood and bad news about it :
My first purchase comes with a dead HSM motor, need to return it for exchange.
Second copy comes with a huge front-focus, needs to be fixed by Sigma.
(tested on 20D and 40D bodies)

Perhaps just unlucky with these two copies, butÖ. Probably QC issues againÖ.

Good news, after all that, AF works well and fast, pictures are very sharp at 100 and 200 mm, even wide open.
It compares to my Canon 70-200 L4, may be Sigma is a little better, for my copies.
At 300 mm, it is clearly softer, but I can say very good.
Nice coloration and contrast, beautiful image quality for the price. Works well with Canon 1,4 x TC.

Not easy to carry and shot without monopod, the 70-200 L4 is shorter range, but much more comfortable for walkaround.

You can watch some sample pictures on my Pbase gallery, original shots at original size, with no post-processing.

Jun 5, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add isogood to your Buddy List
hotline

Registered: Apr 25, 2008
Review Date: May 3, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp, build quality, hsm
Cons:
heavy and little bit too long

need light because of f 4,0 but what a piece ! quality, sharp.
I'm very satisfied with.

May 3, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add hotline to your Buddy List
silverh

Registered: Mar 21, 2007
Review Date: Apr 6, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $685.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Great zoom range for sports on a crop body. Sharp and Affordable.
Cons:
None really, its a great compromise for me.

I wasnt planning on buying this lense as I have a 300/4 IS and a 70-200 2.8 IS. However since I added a second body (30d and 40d) my Girlfriend has taken a likeing to the 70-200! (She loves the Zoom Zoom and doesn't get on with fixed focal lengths) Anyway I found a 100-300 Sigma on E... and ended up winning for $685aud a steal I think! So now I have my 70-200 back.

We already have some great shots from the Sigma and I dont hesitate to use it, even with the L's in the bag. The zoom range is very convenient and F4 seems to be a great trade off for speed V weight! As much as I would like a 2.8 in the 300 range the $$$$ and weight put them out of range for me.

Although I never expected to win the lense for my low bid, I guess you get lucky sometimes. I think this lense will be with me for quite some time. Highly reccomended.

Apr 6, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add silverh to your Buddy List
jlkeck

Registered: Mar 15, 2008
Review Date: Mar 15, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $840.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, build quality, overall value
Cons:
weight

Bought new & it front focused - a quick trip to sigma (2 day turn around) corrected AF problem. This lens is extremely sharp & contrasty, handles the Sigma 1.4 TC extremely well. Build quality is excellent.

Mar 15, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jlkeck to your Buddy List
fotofly

Registered: May 6, 2005
Review Date: Mar 12, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: So sharp that it hurts, great build quality, black is beautiful, faster than me, handles light perfectly...great balance on tripod.
Cons:
I should get this before!

I did some shooting with this yesterday and I was surpriced how well built this lens really is, I'm also very pleased with fast focusing. This lens really fits in my hands with 40d, few hours shooting gave me some very nice photos. I loved the sharpness of 70-200 4L, but now I don't cry after that any more, because this is at least as sharp and +100mm in zoom range. I can't believe that I'm having sigma and I keep it rather than L glass! It's great to have some real competition on the manufacturing field.

This is one of those shots, I got on that first day testing

Mar 12, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add fotofly to your Buddy List
rddelliott

Registered: Jun 3, 2004
Review Date: Jan 27, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,025.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: This lens is as sharp as any of my "L" glass zooms and covers a zoom range at f/4 that Canon does not.
Cons:
Lens flares badly at f/4 with strong backlighting. My Canon zooms do a much better job of controlling flare.

I would not hesitate to buy this lens. An excellent value for the money.

Jan 27, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add rddelliott to your Buddy List
bakerwi

Registered: Nov 8, 2005
Review Date: Nov 26, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Great lens and very well built. Sharp at f/4 and beyond, lightening fast focus, HSM is similar to USM and very quiet. The pictures are oustanding right out of the camera. Beautiful finish. Includes a hood and the lens case is outstanding. I own a Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM lens and the Sigma lens case blows it away.
Cons:
Little heavy, but you forget once you see the pictures.

If your considering the purchase of this lens; then get one. You won't regret it. I am amazed at the photos that come right out of the camera. Get one and have a blast.

Nov 26, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add bakerwi to your Buddy List
PJ Fish

Registered: Nov 24, 2006
Review Date: Nov 18, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $899.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: A fantastic lens and very well made; its versatile ,flexible and misses nothing even i you use the 1,4 convertor. Well done Sigma.
Cons:
NONE ! cant see any cons.maybe 82 mm filter ?!! but who cares..?!!

What shall is say about this lens which has not been said before?? this Lens from Sigma is better than most competitors whether they come from Nikon,Canon and so on.
The AF is truely awesome.The sharpness ,contrast and bokeh rivals its larger brother the Sigma 120-300 F 2,8!I use it for soccer and other fast moving assignments.No problem.In fact,
i think it is better than Canons 300 mm F4 IS. !so i sold the latter and kept this beautifull made lens.
Which means its among the big boys league as say the Canons and Nikons 300mm F2,8 gang!

Hear say that QC is better for this lens ,than the other sigmas products.

Its a pearl and really amazing.

Nov 18, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add PJ Fish to your Buddy List
Nikolas

Registered: Aug 1, 2005
Review Date: Nov 3, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $630.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Wonderfully sharp wide open and at all apertures. Built like a tank HSM is no different to USM imho. Excellent finish.
Cons:
Maybe a touch heavy. Imagine image stabilisation on this beast!

Bought on ebay.
This lens will definitely replace my 70-200 f4L.
There is no difference in image quality between the 2 and the extra reach is a bonus.
Add a 1.4 teleconverter and I have a mid range zoom that rivals the 100-400L and a constant aperture of f5.6 plus an extra 20mm at the pointy end with virtually no image quality loss.
Image quality rivals my 300f4L Prime.

Here is a sample.
full 100% crop
wide open shot

Nov 3, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Nikolas to your Buddy List
Brokiir

Registered: Apr 8, 2006
Review Date: Sep 3, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Wonderful sharp Images,High contrast, Not too heavy,Nice balance,EX Finish,Fast focus,Great lens hood.
Cons:
Canít think of any @ this price.

*Mine is the EX DG Version bought on eBay for £300 less than the high street.*

I had to sell my Long L gear to fund my 5D body. I later found myself wanting a lens for my garden bird feeder and occasional air shows. This lens is a sheer pleasure to use.

Wide open @f4 http://www.pbase.com/walshy/image/64994546/original.jpg

One day Iíll buy an EF 300/2.8 IS but until then this lens will always deliver!.

Borrow or buy this lens as you wonít be disappointed.

Sep 3, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Brokiir to your Buddy List
gazzajagman

Registered: Apr 26, 2006
Review Date: Aug 29, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: IQ, AF is fasted Sigma I have tried. HSM is nice and each control has a nice damped feel. Not too heavy. Removable tripod collar is excellent to use too.
Cons:
It's a big lens to lug about and the hood is huge. This lens suffers badly from lens flare,

This lens offers a nice wide zoom range at a fixed f4 through out the range. It's well balanced on my 5D with a grip, but I often shoot by taking off the tripod collar (which is so easy to do and you don't have to remove the lens from the body to do so). It's a big lens and looks very paperazzi, which is a shame, it's not a discreet lens to use.
The AF is increadibly fast and quiet. Noticably faster than my Siggi 70-200m f2.8 DG. It's optics are sharper and clearer but slightly less contrasty than it's short focal length cousin. But i think that's becuase the contrast of the Siggi 70-200/f2.8 is unusally high. I can regularly track a seagull in flight with astonishing accuracy. It hunts a bit in low light, but who's gonna use a 300mm f4 at night? I get best images shooting over 1/2000th sec or on a monopod. In fact images taken on a monopod are noticbly sharper..must be my poor technique.
It takes a 1.4x tc very well. I use the Sigma DG version and I can see only a tiny drop in IQ and contrast. It's AF slows by a barely descernable amount to, but it's just a tad.
The Zoom and AF ring are so well damped, they just feel so nice. It reminds me of how the older Canon FD telephoto lenses used to feel. It's a shame that Canon's don't feel like this any more.
The 82mm lens cap is very loose and drops off if it gets knocked. I'm looking to replace this cap with the newer 82mm Canon version (once it becomes available).
The hood is so long, it look stupid and I feel embarrased using it. But it does cut down on flare, which is this lens' achillies heel (every lens has one). Maybe the newer DG version fares a bit better with flare?
Shooting between 100-250mm, this lens is prime lens sharp. Sharper than any other Zoom that I currently own. At 300mm it's still stunningly sharp. Bokeh is excellent too.
The Black painted finish is an aquired taste. I prefer it to Canon's big white look, but I wish that the matt finish was as durable as it's older semi matt black finish.
It's a top performer and esily equals the Canon 300mm f4L, if not in absolute 100% pixel peeping, then certainly in versatilty, AF and size. It's also about half the Canon prime price too.
I think that if Sigma made every lens this good then Canon and Nikon should watch out. The 5 year Sigma warrenty is attractive too.

Aug 29, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add gazzajagman to your Buddy List
Matt Wier

Registered: Oct 2, 2006
Review Date: Jun 6, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $800.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Excellent zoom range, great quality wide open.
Cons:
A bit heavy, but it is built like a tank and feels very sturdy. AF speed slightly decreases in lower light (more than it would on L glass).

Excellent lens for the money. It's not L glass but it is definitely worth the money for those of you who aren't pros but want nice glass.

Jun 6, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Matt Wier to your Buddy List
epar

Registered: Nov 27, 2005
Location: Poland
Review Date: May 30, 2007 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Optically perfect
Cons:
QC issue

I have 'love & hate' relation with this lens. Perfect 'zoo-lens', capable of astounding results but... My copy has had 2 major AF defects in less than 2 years.

May 30, 2007