Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 EX APO IF HSM

153 553521 Jan 21, 2012
05_03_1_

Sigma's new Hyper Sonic Motors (H.S.M.) provide silent, responsive autofocus action with Canon, Sigma, and now Nikon AF cameras.
H.S.M. also permits manual adjustment of focus without the necessity of switching off the autofocus function.
Focus Free mechanism keeps the manual focus ring from spinning when the camera is autofocusing.
This new lens features apochromatic optical design and four elements composed of Special Low Dispersion (SLD) glass for high image contrast, resolution and color saturation.
The front barrel does not rotate during focusing, due to internal focusing system.
Internal zooming mechanism allows the lens length to remain constant during zooming.

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · 10  next

TEDWARD

Registered: Jan 20, 2012
Review Date: Jan 21, 2012 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: I cannot, at this moment give you an answer, because of issues involved. when i do recieve a good copy, then i will recommend the lens
Cons:
I cannot answer this question, at this moment in time.

I bought this sigma EX DG 70-200 f2.8 HSM APO-2 lens for one reason ONLY...(f2.8) at 200mm for Sport, and action.....I am not interested in f4, 0r f5.6......just (f2.8) and the copy i recieved last week, in australia with twelve months warranty..... at (f2.8) is rubbish, i only use two apertures for testing....f5.6...and f2.8. Yes the lens is not to bad at f5.6, and so are most lenses at f5.6. but at f2.8 it's terrible. So i have returned the lens back to CR KENNEDYS, for another copy...even the manager at CR KENNEDYS agrees....he to would not accept this lens at (f2.8)...and if copy number two is the same as number one.....that to is going back, So i will have to wait untill next week before i can check out copy number two. For the last four years, i have been useing a 33 year old manual vivitar 135mm f2.8 version three lens by komine, which is resonably sharp....at f2.8. the aperture i require. I just love taking my seven grandchildren doing sports, but as we all know, you are going to miss a very lot of photo's, that are just out of focus.....useing manual lenses. so after listening to my camera club members, and colleagues. about this Sigma 70-200 f2.8 APO flagship lens mark 2 with improved optical performances, with 3 ELD eleiments, and 2 SLD eliments, and especially the lens giving me an extra 65mm longer. How could i refuse. Besides myself, i have also read dozens of other owners whom have had similar problems, with this same lens. Cheers Edward

Jan 21, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add TEDWARD to your Buddy List
covrc

Registered: Sep 23, 2011
Review Date: Jan 6, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast, reliable, sharp, well built, compact.
Cons:
No OS.

I have had this lens since new, Jan 2006. It has never failed me in any instance that I have used it within reason.

I shoot primarily concerts and some recent indoor high school sports with it. Lots and lots of outstanding images.

In the instances that the lens did not perform, it was certainly due to the request I was making.....high shutter speed, low ISO and not enough light for a 1.4 much less a 2.8.

The focusing was quick and on target.
The lens mount comfortable and sturdy.
The HSM is SILENT.

Jan 6, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add covrc to your Buddy List
nycandre

Registered: Apr 23, 2009
Review Date: Feb 3, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Not as expensive as Canon's L but every bit just as good IQ in my experience Built like a tank
Cons:
Doesnt focus as fast and has no IS version compared to the more costly Canon L versions. But definitely much better than Canon's F4 baby L version. Now that the NEW IS version is out and at a $1400 after its recent price reduction, the new version should be a no-brainer.

(this is a re-post from the HSM version where I had posted it originally by mistake - indeed the new version, although it focuses closer seems to be less performing for some strange reason)

As mentioned above, the best you can get compared to the best Canon L (well, I don't know about the Nikon lenses).
Even with the older model (not as much macro as the latest) you get really decent shots.

Here are some interesting ones, tnis one because I was able to blend bokeh and movement blur

Barbara in Red
Larger at http://www.flickr.com/photos/nycandre/1576574223/

Tulipi-ferous - "Racing the wind "
Larger at http://www.flickr.com/photos/nycandre/3477664358/

and this one because even without a really fast AF it did quite well

Hawk landing - Ferruginous hawk - Sonora Desert AZ
Larger at http://www.flickr.com/photos/nycandre/186155475/

Feb 3, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add nycandre to your Buddy List
Matt Kerby

Registered: Jun 9, 2007
Review Date: Sep 8, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $685.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Accurate silent AF, build, excellent optics, contrast is excellent, very sharp and of course the price (relative to the Canon's)
Cons:
Zoom ring is opposite zoom... I suppose the AF could be a bit faster

I bought this lens used from Adorama. Don't usually buy used glass from a brick and mortar but wanted a return policy just in case. The ad just said EX 70-200/2.8 HSM IF....Turns out I got the 1st version (that's why it didn't have all the other acronyms Smile ) After reading the reviews I was kind of hoping it was a 1st or 3rd version. Glad I got the one I did.

I have owned all except the newest (mkII) Canon 70-200's. My favorite being the 70-200/2.8IS and the best image quality I think came from my 70-200f4IS....I don't use this focal length much so I decided to off the white glass and take a chance on the Sigma and use the difference to fund some other glass.

The Sigma is every bit as sharp as the 70-200/2.8, 2.8IS and f4. Not as sharp as the f4IS but what zoom is? The contrast and colors are excellent...You really couldn't pick a shot made with the Sigma from one taken with a Canon. I read some folks (and pro reviews) had "soft" copies at 200mm @ 2.8. Mine is anything but soft at 200mm. There seems to be no difference at 70mm to 200mm's...It's good through the range.
Stopped down to 3.5 or f4 and you'll notice it getting even sharper with some very nice contrasty punch.

The bokeh is beautiful, the 9 blade aperture really does a great job of blurring everything to a creamy haze when shooting close subjects at longer focal lengths at 2.8.

The HSM is accurate, silent and pretty snappy...Not as fast as the Canon USM, but fast enough to track fast moving subjects. If I had to guess, I'd say it's about 80% as fast as the Canons.

I guess the only beef I have with the purchase isn't really a beef....I'll just have to get used to zooming in the opposite direction

I might have paid about $100 more for this lens buying it through Adorama (rather than on the forum)....But it is well worth the $685 I paid. Kudos to Adorama for selling me (what looked like a new lens)

Sold my Canon 70-200/2.8 for $1000. So I net $315 and get the same IQ.......Sounds good to me. Smile

Sep 8, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Matt Kerby to your Buddy List
sparadise

Registered: Oct 22, 2003
Review Date: Feb 5, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $763.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp wide open Fast silent AF Handles nicely with a 7D Solid build quality Close focusing 3.3ft
Cons:
Tripod foot can get in the way of the zoom ring

I purchased the latest version of the Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 and am extremely happy with it. The reason I chose the Sigma over the Canon non IS was for the closer minimum focusing distance and price. The Canon is 4.9 ft while the Sigma is 3.3 ft. That was important to me. The Canon IS is at 4.3 ft and the new IS II will be 3.9 ft . The Sigma is slightly lighter than any of the Canon's and the build quality is more than adequate for amateur use. I have yet to wear out any lens I have ever owned. The tripod foot is not an issue because I will use this lens hand held with the tripod collar off 90% of the time anyway. To zoom from 70 to 200 is a very short distance which is nice also. I have never owned any of the Canon 70-200's but did own a Nikon 70-200mm 2.8 VR I and I prefer this lens to the Nikon I owned. Focus is spot on.

Feb 5, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add sparadise to your Buddy List
cjwhitsett

Registered: Mar 18, 2009
Review Date: Dec 13, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $580.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Price, sharp, fast, quiet, well built without being too heavy, did I mention price
Cons:
Long minimum focus distance, though the 1.4x TC helps

I have the non-DG version of this lens.

Okay, I haven't had this lens but for a couple days of messing around, but I think it's great. Focus is fast, silent, and spot on; IQ is a new kind of awesome for a zoom.

Keep in mind that this is my first "really good glass," so I'm probably prone to be a bit more enamored than a more seasoned photographer.

Throw on the Sigma 1.4x (also non-DG) TC and this lens hardly misses a beat. The two make an excellent couple. Sharpness and focusing are still awesome.

My only nit--and it's a small one-- is that the minimum focus distance is six feet. It just takes a little getting used to. With the TC however, semi-close shots are still very possible.

I did notice a little bit of CA on this lens shooting a contrasty scene, but, really, it just wasn't much at all, but that's just me.

Given how much the Canon and Nikon alternatives cost, I have to believe this lens is quite possibly one of the best values around. This lens is made to perform without slaughtering your wallet.

Dec 13, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add cjwhitsett to your Buddy List
nick53097

Registered: Apr 19, 2008
Review Date: Oct 8, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast focus, sharp, excellent colors
Cons:
Did not found yet

I have HSM II version of this lens and compare to my friends Nikon 70-200 I did not found any difference in sharpness or color reproduction (I think I like Sigma more for better colors)
Very well build, fast and quit
Highly recommened.

Oct 8, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add nick53097 to your Buddy List
LotsToLearn

Registered: Jan 12, 2006
Review Date: Jul 8, 2009 Recommend? no | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 3

Pros: Internal zoom, internal focus, large constant maximum aperture
Cons:
Seemingly very subject to flare, black finishing easily peels

I have a Nikon mount non DG version of the lens.

I have to give the lens a very low rating because of what seems to be very poor performance under any sort of potential flare conditions. I find the lens produces very soft images, either having a tremendous haze effect or with alot of aberrations, whenever there is any subject in bright light. I get some pretty good results under subdued and flash lighting though, so it's not an overall lens issue.

I have other Sigma non DG variations of lenses and have not encountered this problem so I don't know whether to chalk it up to better reflective coatings on DG lenses or just a really poor copy of a lens.

Regardless, I have to review on my experiences and unfortunately those experiences are not good with the Sigma 70-200 non-DG lens. When I have the funds I will look into upgrading to one of the newer versions of the lens.

Jul 8, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add LotsToLearn to your Buddy List
CSBAlexPowers

Registered: Apr 13, 2009
Review Date: May 5, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $800.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, fast, inexpensive.
Cons:
Cheap build.

I purchased this lens as an inexpensive alternative to the Canon "L" variants. My copy was used on a Rebel XT and 30D.

Image quality is great for the price photos are as sharp as the Nikkor 70-200 VR and Canon 70-200/2.8 IS. I've used all three.

Color could be better, but casts and murkiness easily can be handled in post-processing.

HSM works great the autofocus motor outlasted the manual focus functionality on my copy. It's not quite as fast as Canon USM or Nikon SWM, but focus is notably faster and quieter than non-USM lenses.

While I've heard that front- or back-focusing is an issue on Sigma lenses, I never had a focus issue with the 70-200.

Build quality is iffy, but consumers won't complain at savings of $200-$400 over similar Canon or Nikon lenses. You get what you pay for.

My copy literally fell apart after three years of professional use, but I have nothing bad to say. This lens is perfect for consumers who want a fast, medium-length lens sans the weatherproofing or robust build quality of a top-end Canon/Nikon.

May 5, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add CSBAlexPowers to your Buddy List
Dirk Hiemstra

Registered: Nov 22, 2007
Review Date: Nov 18, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp from the beginning at 2.8, even better at 4.0, nice colouring, fast HSM. Accepts Sigma TC 1.4.
Cons:
Closest focussing at appr 1.5 mtr

Quite a surprice for the price. No complaints apart from the weight.

Nov 18, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Dirk Hiemstra to your Buddy List
msdawe

Registered: Jul 22, 2008
Review Date: Nov 17, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $850.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Price, Speed, Build Quality
Cons:
Lack of OS (Sigma's VR), Zoom Ring and Focus Ring are backwards (picky, I know)

I'm really impressed with this lens. I was comparing it with the Tamron and the build quality and size were the determining factors. It works very well with Sigma's 2x TC.

Nov 17, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add msdawe to your Buddy List
graemeak

Registered: Mar 30, 2008
Review Date: Oct 25, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $320.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast and accurate focussing, well damped/smooth focussing ring, free lens hood, free case, free tripod collar - good old Sigma! Black - it stands out less than a white lens. Price, very versatile lens.
Cons:
Only one negative aspect... the zoom ring isn't as smooth as the focussing ring, and I feel the lens hood could be made better (stronger material) but it was free so who cares?

I paid 320, not $320.

Before buying this older version of the lens I tried out the newer macro version and I just didn't like it... I found it to have inaccurate focussing and I didn't care much for the design/build.

So I tried this one out and I'm glad I did =) definately worth what I paid!

Oct 25, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add graemeak to your Buddy List
warne

Registered: Mar 1, 2006
Review Date: Sep 28, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Good build quality sharp @ F2.8 on this copy
Cons:
none so far

Purchased used on E bay uk lens was in good condition with minor marks to finish. Moved from a Canon 70-200 F4L wanted the extra stop but could not afford a new Sigma or Canon. This is a non DG version but not had any reported flare issues If you cant afford the Canon F2.8 this for me is the way to go but check your copy when you buy

Sep 28, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add warne to your Buddy List
Shop Hopkins

Registered: Aug 22, 2007
Review Date: Mar 9, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $799.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Great, all around.
Cons:
Electronic connection (body-lens) problem.

I have the first HSM version, about 2yrs old. Been having trouble with slightly loose connection between body and lens. Results in black frmaes when lens roatates - maybe 1/16 of an inch - and electronic connection is 'lost'! Started with my D70S and now on my D300. Thought it may have been my CF cards, but it is not. Contacting Sigma today.

Mar 9, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Shop Hopkins to your Buddy List
esti

Registered: Feb 27, 2008
Review Date: Feb 27, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, fast, vibrant colours and built like a tank!
Cons:
None - this is fantastic lens

Without doubt my favourite lens: it delivers consistent, top-quality results every time.

I do quite a lot of concert photography, and found that I need a long 2.8f zoom lens. I looked at the Canon L-series 70-200/2.8 but couldn't really justify the price. Then I tried this gorgeous Sigma lens and I was immediately sold!

It's fast, produces beautifully sharp images even at it's widest, and is built like a tank. The equal of the finest Canon glass, and a fraction of the price.

I highly recommend this lens.

Feb 27, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add esti to your Buddy List
InMotion

Registered: Oct 11, 2007
Review Date: Dec 5, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: ?
Cons:
?

What is the difference between the DG, the non DG, and the macro version of this lens? I keep seeing all three for sale (used) and I just don't know which is better. I shoot mostly sporting type events (low light, fast movement) and nature.

Dec 5, 2007