Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 EX APO IF HSM

153 554622 Jan 21, 2012
05_03_1_

Sigma's new Hyper Sonic Motors (H.S.M.) provide silent, responsive autofocus action with Canon, Sigma, and now Nikon AF cameras.
H.S.M. also permits manual adjustment of focus without the necessity of switching off the autofocus function.
Focus Free mechanism keeps the manual focus ring from spinning when the camera is autofocusing.
This new lens features apochromatic optical design and four elements composed of Special Low Dispersion (SLD) glass for high image contrast, resolution and color saturation.
The front barrel does not rotate during focusing, due to internal focusing system.
Internal zooming mechanism allows the lens length to remain constant during zooming.

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · 10  next

mjsutherland

Registered: Jun 13, 2005
Review Date: Aug 22, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, excellent results
Cons:
Nil (perhaps build quality)

Overall excellent, I have since bought the canon 70-200 L 2.8 IS and apart from slight extra versatility in low light I would say the sigma gives as good results. I had a problem with the mounting ring coming loose from the lense which was a bit worrying, I just screwed it on again with a small phillips screwdriver ( 3 small screws hold it to the lense ) and it seems fine and didnt effect results. It feels good quality in your hands but I cant give it full marks on this as a new lense shouldn't start coming apart. Anyway recommended, a very good lense.

Aug 22, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mjsutherland to your Buddy List
kerem

Registered: May 21, 2005
Location: Turkey
Review Date: Jul 6, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,000.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharp, Fastest AF, Lighter than nikon 70-200mm
Cons:
weak built, filter size, sharp f4.0 - f11.0

Price / Quality / Handled feel best berformance f2.8 medium telephoto lenses

Jul 6, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add kerem to your Buddy List
daredevil80

Registered: Mar 1, 2005
Review Date: Jun 28, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: focal range, sharp focus at 2.8, price
Cons:
weight, cost of 77mm filters

I got this lens at keh.com rated as an EX+. I use this hooked to a D30, and the range is perfect for most sports without needing a TC. Focus is very quick both on a D30 and a 1D. About the only downside for this lens is the price in buying a 77mm warming polarizer!!

Jun 28, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add daredevil80 to your Buddy List
cc3chan

Registered: Apr 28, 2005
Review Date: Jun 24, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Price, Image quality, black finish, well made, fast focus
Cons:
weight, slightly warm colour

I had to choose between Canon 70-200 F2.8 non-IS and this. Canon lens would have cost me twice as much at the store, so I chose this at the end. I do not regret that choice at all.

Used multiple times at the zoo and got some real keepers with it. Weight was initially an issue, I thought. But after the 4th time carrying it for 8 hours with only brief breaks it wasn't that bad.

Construction was solid, some kids ran into me and the camera at the zoo (kids...-_-) but lens hood held firm, did not have the same problem some others seemed to be experiencing.

Image sharpness is quite good. Animal fur details are captured really well. Focus speed was quite good. Colour seems a bit warm compared to Canon, but that could be fixed in PS.

Definitely recommend this lens and it got me started looking at other Sigma lenses as well.

Jun 24, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add cc3chan to your Buddy List
capitalK

Registered: Apr 25, 2005
Review Date: Jun 21, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: buttery-smooth Bokeh, build quality is very nice. Very sharp, focus is fast and silent. Very warm colours from this lens, almost film-like on my 300D.
Cons:
Lens cap doesn't stay on, going to replace it. Hood is flimsy and doesn't lock fully (falls off in the bag). A bit heavy but doesn't bother me.

I bought this lens used about a week ago but I am very happy with it already. The bokeh this lens can create is very nice, adds a nice "wow" to portraits when I show people. I shot a wedding with it last week and everybody was very happy with the sharpness of the pics coupled with the buttery bokeh.

I have removed the tripod mount because it gets in the way, but it will be very useful for when I will eventually need it. The build quality of this lens makes my 300D plastic body feel very, very cheap :D

I strugled between buying this lens and the Canon 70-200 f/4 L, but I found this one used at a price I couldn't resist and bought it without hesitation.

Jun 21, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add capitalK to your Buddy List
gugs

Registered: Apr 16, 2005
Review Date: Jun 19, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Good price, picture quality (very sharp), focus speed (HSM), f2.8, quiet, tripod mount, accessories and excellent bag included, IF (fixed length)
Cons:
Heavy but not too much, no OS/VR, tripod mount cannot be used to carry the camera (like with the 80-400 for example)

When I purchased this lens, I have been comparing with the 80-200 from Nikon, which was slightly more expensive. When comparing with TC included, the Sigma had a significant price advantage for the combination... so I went for the Sigma.

I made quite a number of pics with that lens. Most of them were excellent and razor sharp... but I had to throw away some of them. I did some testing and came to the following conclusion:
everything was "perfect", razor sharp if shot at f4+ or at max 165mm, in other words only my pictures wide open (f2.8) at 165-200mm were slightly blurred (pictures like 150mm f2.8 were excellent). I interpreted that as the limit of the lens (seeing other reviews saying that the lens was soft wide open).
I brought the lens back to the shop, they controlled it and sent it back to Sigma for recalibration. I do not know exactly what they changed but the lens is definitely different: it is quite sharp on the whole range now...
My only conclusion is to confirm that Sigma might have some initial quality issues sometimes...

Anyhow, overall this is really an excellent lens, solid construction even if not on par with Nikon, attractive price, excellent quality (after my problem was solved), very fast and quiet focus (HSM is impressive when you are used to 'normal' AF lenses), IF internal focus meaning the lens has a fixed length while zooming and focussing. The range is very good and can be extended with a TC (I use the Sigma 2x) without significant quality loss (AF is still working, you just have a 140-400 f5.6 lens). Manual focus corrections are easy to do.
Another plus point is that the lens "feels" good, it is quite well balanced on my D70, easy to manipulate even if a bit heavy to take on vacation...

Jun 19, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add gugs to your Buddy List
isawuonmontel

Registered: Jun 14, 2005
Review Date: Jun 14, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: shockingly sharp at 135mm and f4-f8 thats the sweet spot, EX finish, i really like the lens hood but rarely use it because of the excelent resistance to flair, pretty multicoated glass
Cons:
less sharp at 70mm setting, as a walk around it's a bit heavy, no macro capability

they say put your money in the glass, well this is good glass, even though i wanted to build my system with primes i made a exception with this one and i am really impressed. i have been handholding with good results, the tripod mount is heavy and removable. no rechiping or anything like that. comes with a neat case, pics on my walls up to 12 X 18. photodo rating only 3.9 which is misleading, at 135mm and f8 it matches the mtf of the canon 135/ f2L a 4.6 rated lens.

Jun 14, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add isawuonmontel to your Buddy List
damonfff

Registered: May 9, 2004
Review Date: Jun 1, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Black colour, solid feel, relatively low price, fast and silent focus, gorgeous, bokeh as good as Canon, comes with tripod collar
Cons:
Heavy (of course)

I've only has this lens for 2 days but from what I've shot, it's going to be a fun ride. I usually switch up my primes, but I got this to eliminate that issue when I'm on an easy event job. It's not as heavy as I thought it would be.

Jun 1, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add damonfff to your Buddy List
in-apt

Registered: Dec 8, 2003
Location: Portugal
Review Date: May 28, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Fast, pretty, affordable, very sharp, very easy to hold, focuses fast and silently - did I say it was fast?
Cons:
The finish, though attractive, can be a bit bothersome as it gets scratched easily - not "real" scratches, since you can clean them out, but it can make the lens look a bit akward while you're shooting. The hood could get in/out better.

Excellent lens, and for the money, simply spectacular.
The finish looks great, but it gets wear scratches - its a sort of smooth, velvet finish, it isn't hard plastic. You can wipe them out easily though.

It is really fast (continuous F/2.8), the tripod mount is well placed (achives a very good balance with the camera), it focuses fast and silently. I never found it to have a tendency to 'hunt', it focuses fast and well.

The hood could get in and out with less of a hassle - I'm nitpicking, but I always use hoods and I don't want to lose a photograph just because it takes me a few moments to get the hood to fit right.

It's not white, it's not an L, and the build quality isn't up there. But neither is the price, and it performs almost as well (and that's what matters).

If you are undecided between this and the Canon F/2.8 non-IS, then get this one, the price difference doesn't justify the whiteness. Smile

All and all, a superb lens, and a must-buy.

May 28, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add in-apt to your Buddy List
technocracy-c

Registered: May 23, 2005
Review Date: May 23, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Superb focal accuracy & speed, contrast, image sharpness, 'bokeh', build quality and weight.
Cons:
1.8m close focal range 1.0m would be perfect. The screw of the tripod need be on the other side.

Well I was looking between the Canon 70-200L f4 and this mainly, the Canon f2.8L I consider far to pricey and heavy. Weigh is very important to me as I use it for travel photography and carry it nearly constantly when I'm away.

So far I'm very impressed. The weight is just right on a 20D and the picture sharpness is fantastic. It also highly flexible for all kinds of uses be it portait, landscape or wildlife (ok it lacks range for real close up work). The only thing that narks me slightly is the 1.8m close focus range, this does make it awkward when using it indoor. Having the f2.8 gives you the extra flexiblity in low light and does give excellent results, very sharp images and the 'bokeh' is fantastic the background just melts away.

Some people have commented that the focus speed is slow, but personally I can't see it! Everytime I've point the lens and press the button the focus has been instanteous. Ok it is slightly noiser than Canon lens, but this to me doesn't matter. When I say noiser the noise is nothing extreme.

Build quality is spot on and it feels really solid and will stand up to lots of abuse.

So whats wrong with it well nothing much in my opinion, the finger screw placement for the tripod mount is on the wrong side. Then there is the close focal range if they had managed to provide a 1.0m or 1.2m range it would have had a perfect 10 but loses a point for this.

If your looking at the 70-200mm lenses and trying decided which to go for, all I can say is don't let you desire for a white lens get in the way of your thinking!

May 23, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add technocracy-c to your Buddy List
DKTA

Registered: Jan 25, 2005
Review Date: May 19, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness strongly built great AF price !!
Cons:
Damn lens cap !! the screw of the ring collar is misplaced

A great lens, a very good quality. What to say but that I didn't regret going from canon to sigma concerning the lenses. I just love sigma lenses.

When you do pictures in hostile environments like me in the air when you run through clouds or dust clouds and even rain i can assure you that sigma is more robust than those xhite lenses from canon. More than a pair of white 70-200 broke while taking air to air pictures in difficult conditions.

May 19, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add DKTA to your Buddy List
aggarcia

Registered: Oct 30, 2004
Review Date: May 14, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $668.85 | Rating: 10

Pros: Price, HSM, included tripod collar, F2.8.
Cons:

I was looking for a 70-200 lens to rpelace the 75-300 APO Super II 4.5-5.6 Sigma. I was considering the Canon F4 & F2.8 non IS and the Sigma F2.8 . The differences between three models were:

Canon F4 - an L lens, F4, no collar - hundred dollar option, 1 year warranty, priced around $575.

Canon F2.8 non-IS - an L lens, $1200, heaviest of lens looking at, 1 year warranty.

Sigma 2.8 - About $100 more than Canon F4, included tripod collar, 4 year warranty, lighter than Canon 2.8.

I have had the Sigma since Jan 05. This has been a great lens. Currently it is my only good lense in this range. With HSM it focuses lighting quick on my D30. Can add a 1.4 teleconveter for a little more reach. Works great in low light situations where an F4 would not be able to work in. Well built, but not a light lens. For those on a budget or do not need the L. This lens is a great buy.

May 14, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add aggarcia to your Buddy List
norcal99

Registered: Mar 22, 2005
Review Date: May 10, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Solid build quality, HSM is very comparable to USM, great contrast and colors, tack sharp at f/4 and above, overall a solid performer well worth the price
Cons:
A little soft at f/2.8. It's by no means "bad," but not as sharp as f/4 and higher. The lens cap is pretty flimsy...

After reading numerous reviews about this lens, I had mixed reviews hearing about softness at f/2.8, vignetting, noisy AF just to name a few. Based on this, I purchased a Canon 70-200 f/4 L because the reviews were great and I've only owned Canon lenses and know that their build quality is great. Well, it backfocused, horribly. Returned it and took a chance and called up Delta International and ordered the Sigma.

My experience with this lens is that the HSM is very comparable to Canon USM. I personally don't notice any difference in noise between the two and the lens doesn't "hunt" in AF. (Note: this does happen in very low light, but every lens does) Vignetting is a very slight problem and is not noticeable unless you carefully examine pictures. I shot a picture of a white fence and there are tiny traces of purplish tint on the edges, barely negligible. Sharpness at f/2.8 is very good at 200mm but is a little bit soft. I would by no means call it bad an unuseable but it's not as sharp as f/4 and up.

Overall, a very solid performer and well worth the investment if the Canon 70-200 f/2.8L is out of the budget. For $400 less, you have a very comparable lens that performs just as well as the Canon counterpart. Would definitely recommend to anyone looking for a fast telephoto lens.

May 10, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add norcal99 to your Buddy List
zarthalas

Registered: Dec 4, 2004
Review Date: May 4, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, f2.8, well made, feels good in the hand for the first 2 hours...
Cons:
Backfocus issue, had to return for a replacement the first sample....too large to throw in my backpack..heavy after two hours of handheld street-style photography

This is my first lense i've purchased over 1000 CAD....I'm so glad i went for this one rather than the Canon f4 version... it feels really comfortable in the hand and takes awesome shots... sharp and good focus. It's hard to justify the Canon f2.8 equivalent for 1000(CAD) dollars more.. 2000 for f2.8 AND IS....kinda ridiculous imo (unless yer employer pays for it Wink.

Great lense....im a happy boy...

May 4, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add zarthalas to your Buddy List
jpenn

Registered: May 31, 2003
Review Date: Apr 10, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $600.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Build quality, fit and finish, nice boken. My copy came with a tripod mount which I use a monopod on.
Cons:
Heavy, big filter size.

I have been in need of a lens to supplement my kit lens that came with my 20D and I knew that a 70-200 would be my first lens. As my daughter is play club volleyball, I wanted a lens that I could capture the action in your standard HS gym. I made the determination that I would need a 2.8 to get the shutter speed I needed to capture the action. My budget (and wife) would not allow for an 'L' series lens and after reading the reviews of the Sigma I decided to take the plunge.

Being a cheap SOB, I decided to check eBay and found my copy. I was concerned that if someone bought a bad copy and the store refused to return it than it might find its way on to eBay's site and I would be the unlucky buyer.

I am pleased that my copy is not one of those and it takes wonderful pictures. I have used the lens to take may volleyball images and I have been happy with the sharpness and contrast. This lens really performs and I recommend it. For the price/performance ratio - it can't be beat.

Apr 10, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jpenn to your Buddy List
atsi

Registered: Mar 1, 2005
Location: Chile
Review Date: Apr 6, 2005 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 6

Pros: Nice price for a 2.8 with all the accessories
Cons:
Bad quality control, poor performance on two samples

I decided I needed a fast 70-200 and after considering the reviews here and elsewhere I decided to give it a try.

I was not going to leave the store without testing it a little first. A fresh one out of the box was handed to me and I focused on one wall of the store. No matter what I tried, it would show as focused, but the images were only in focus for the right third of the frame. Never was the left two thirds in focus. The store clerk repeated the test and the results.

Out came a second fresh one and it seemed to focus properly. I took this one home and did some astro-photography with it. All the stars were tear drop shaped across the field and it mattered not what F stop I used. So I printed out a test target and did some testing. F2.8 was horrible with blur and CA all over. F4 was immediately sharper but still with CA. F5.6 still the same. Back to the store I went.

We tested in the store with the same target in a shoot-out with a 70-200 F2.8 Canon. The Canon at F2.8 blew away the Sigma at F5.6. I left with the Canon and left the Sigma behind.

Based on all the positive reviews on this lens I wonder if that store had a bad batch or something, but I cannot recommend this lens. I have noticed similar bad experiences scattered around in reviews so perhaps Sigma has some problems controlling quality on this one.

Apr 6, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add atsi to your Buddy List

Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 EX APO IF HSM