Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

180 527756 Dec 14, 2013
7.8
ef_28-135_35_1_

Standard zoom lens with an Image Stabilizer and high zoom ratio. With the Image Stabilizer turned on, you can obtain sharp, natural-looking pictures in dim lighting without using flash or a tripod. Very handy for places where flash is prohibited. Uses ring-type USM for swift, silent autofocus and full-time manual focus. Closest focusing distance is 20 in. (50 cm).

Nicholas Zhao

Registered: Mar 15, 2007
Review Date: Mar 15, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $360.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: IS, Range, Price.
Cons:
so soft, build quality.

I don't know if I got a bad copy or not, the pictures turn out so soft, can not even compare with my stock lens. I think I will get a "L" lens next time.

Mar 15, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Nicholas Zhao to your Buddy List
Krystof Meder

Registered: Feb 25, 2007
Review Date: Mar 6, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $150.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Light, fast AF, zooms works pretty well, good value
Cons:
Image quality suffers at long end, build could be better

This was my first on my Canon 30D and it worked well enough at the start. However when I started getting into my favourite photography (dawn and dusk HDR) I found that image quality suffered from quite a deal of noise at the longer end (80mm-105mm).

Therfore I'll be setting this lens aside and keeping it more for general use travel photography as opposed to my more serious photographic pursuits. I've actually decide to purchase the 50mm 1.8 MII as the replacement and my standard lens and will use the 70-200mm L F4 to cover the longer focal length which this lens did till now.

However all in all, if you want general purpose lens this one really does quite a decent job and doesn't cost a fortune.

Mar 6, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Krystof Meder to your Buddy List
Trevor Kirk

Registered: Mar 3, 2007
Review Date: Mar 3, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Light enough to carry all day, sharp, IS, good zoom range.
Cons:
Focus ring can be awkward from time to time.

I bought this lens after reading the reviews on here and I am not disappointed. Yes the barrel is a bit loose but has no affect on the image quality, which is excellent, and the build quality is still very good and better than the Sigma EX it replaced, and is lighter even with IS.
The only niggle is the focus ring when using manual focus which could be bigger and in an easier position, but I've got used to it now so not really a problem. Having full time Manual focus is a real boon too, as I can leave the switch in AF and focus manually at any time.
I would greatly recommend this lens to any one who wants a general walk around lens with a good zoom range and superb quality optics. I've used it on my 400D (Rebel XTI) and 5D and apart from the crop factor there is no appreciable difference in performance.

Get One!

Mar 3, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Trevor Kirk to your Buddy List
Rafi Abramov

Registered: Feb 25, 2007
Review Date: Feb 26, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great build quality, 28-135 makes a perfect walkaround range, precision Image Stabilizer, ultra-quiet USM, metal mount
Cons:
28mm seems a bit limiting on 1.6x crop bodies

Just bought this lens today.

This is the first lens I've purchased new and I'm very happy with it. This is my first IS (and USM, for that matter) lens, so naturally I'm pleased with it. The USM focuses silently right on spot every time, hasn't hunted one time. The IS is amazing and you can definitely notice a difference just from flipping the IS switch on. Sharp pictures every time.

Weight is perfect, new to the 72mm size but loving it so far. The filters can get a bit pricey though.

Feb 26, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Rafi Abramov to your Buddy List
Jeff Beck

Registered: Jan 5, 2007
Review Date: Feb 13, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Good range, IS, price is right.
Cons:
IQ leaves a little to be desired, but for the money is great, aperature shortages at the long end.

Had the lens a little over two years, the range is great on a crop body, just wish it was a little wider. When paired with the kit lens you have a good scale, and it makes it apparent how much better this lens is.

The IS came in very handy in the Met (no flash photography) and several other situations.

Feb 13, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Jeff Beck to your Buddy List
wing tong

Registered: Oct 27, 2006
Review Date: Feb 2, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: price, IS, USM, nice walkaround focal range.
Cons:
wobbly, 6-blade aperture, doesn't have the L red stripe.

Nice walkaround lense. Good focal range but could be a little wider especially for the 1.6x bodies. For my amateur eyes, the photos are pretty sharp if stopped down a bit. Outdoor photos are especially sharp when stopped down to around f8. Indoor photography is limited but do-able - If I can get a minimum of 1/30th shutter speed at widest aperture (and if the subject doesn't move too much), I can get useable results (albeit soft). If you are into bokeh, you're not going to be happy with the 6 blade aperture. But for $400, you get IS, USM, and 28-135mm.

Feb 2, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add wing tong to your Buddy List
akronzip

Registered: Feb 26, 2006
Review Date: Jan 16, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $345.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: IS allows images I couldn't take otherwise. Range is wonderful for all-purpose use. Focus is fast and sure. Image quality continues to amaze me.
Cons:
Hood is extra.

I LOVE THIS LENS.

After taking several blury shots of London's Big Ben in 2004, I decided to get an IS walk around lens. The 28-135 is almost always on a body when I have a camera out. IS works. I just keep on shooting right past sunset.

What has amazed me, however, is when I sort through images and see how many of the GREAT images were shot with this lens. On a recent trip to Brazil and took a lot of head shots with the lens zoomed to the 85mm or so and the lens all the way open (Its about f4.5 at 85 mm) and I was very pleased with the sharpness, color quality and bokah of these portraits. One I took of my daughter may be the best portrait I've ever taken as well as the best portait of her.

The same lens took all the sunset, sunrise and after dark images of the trip as well as monkeys and macaws. (All can be seen at www.adventureho.com/images )

I took four other lenses with me, including three L's, but of the first ten pictures I selected to print, 7 were shot with the 28-135 IS.

Jan 16, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add akronzip to your Buddy List
david phillips

Registered: Oct 4, 2006
Review Date: Jan 16, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $486.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: It takes sharp macro, In day light it works great and is easily focused. IS is a plus factor when hand held. Great price
Cons:
It wobles, and some times has a tendency to be soft. Build Quality

The kit lense that I had with my 30D was ok but not enough. So I got this lens. The first thing that I noticed that it wobles. So I contacted Canon and they suggested that I send it in if I have any questions. That means that I will be without a lens. So I decided to take some test shots and posted images at a photo phorum. They all said that image quility seem to be OK. So I still have it, and looks like it is working fine. Some other who have it said that theirs dont woble.
IS is a good factor but the build quality is not satisfactory. Other that that, it seem to be working fine for the money that I paid.

Jan 16, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add david phillips to your Buddy List
G.M.S.

Registered: Jan 6, 2007
Review Date: Jan 12, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $590.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Crisp Clean shots right out of the box. Price, Quietness.
Cons:
A touch soft at 135mm, but nothing that can't be quickly fine tuned during processing on the computer.

As stated above, good shots right out of the box. Nice weight to it. Great IS system as well. If you want a good mid-priced lens and can't afford the 300mm or L glass with IS, then get this one.

Jan 12, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add G.M.S. to your Buddy List
Jorge-B

Registered: Sep 5, 2003
Review Date: Jan 10, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Zoom range, IS, close-up capabilities, USM
Cons:
Can be soft at longest focal length, mechanism a little wobbly

While this lens is no longer fashionable (if it ever was!), in my book, it is still a contender. The focal range makes it a good choice for a walk-around lens, and mine has been just that for about three years of hard use. That included several international trips and a lot of wildlife stalking--all without a glitch. I've found its close-up capabilities terrific. It is fast-handling, and focusing is quiet and quick. Comparing notes with other users, I might have lucked out with an especially good copy because almost all my shots--if correctly exposed and well focused--are darn good by any reasonable standard. My recommendation: If you get your hands on a good one, you'll have a fine instrument that can produce quality results in a variety of situations.

Jan 10, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Jorge-B to your Buddy List
jfk03

Registered: Mar 20, 2006
Review Date: Dec 23, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $650.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Price, reasonably sharp, good build for money, range, versatility
Cons:
Not L

Great lens for travel and street photography. If you want to go light with just a couple lenses, take this one. It is not perfect, but the pluses outweigh the negatives. I think it is an underrated lens.

Dec 23, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jfk03 to your Buddy List
greg christie

Registered: Dec 8, 2006
Review Date: Dec 15, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $470.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp,Good build for the price. IS & USM. Macro.
Cons:
5.6 is a bit dark. Zoom is a bit sticky.

When I first got my 20D I ordered the EF75-300 zoom. When it arrived I put on the camera focused on a stop sign across the road and ugh!!!(never fired off even one shot). I put it back in the box and rushed to the store. After getting my money back I checked out what else might do for my new cam. Thatís when I came across the 28-135 IS USM. It had IS (great for unsteady hands) USM (full time manual focus) good range (for me) and macro. Since that day this lens has almost lived on my camera. The images that it produces are good for prints up to 8X10 and even a little larger, oh those so rare perfect world shots. It gives you all the tricks in the book and lets you discover the wonderful world photography. As your skills advance, you may move on to better glass (as I have)but there will always be a place in my bag for this great do it all lens.

Dec 15, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add greg christie to your Buddy List
glenn mendoza

Registered: Oct 22, 2006
Review Date: Dec 11, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: I find it funny when people compare 2 things which is obviously very different in nature. As to what others have posted, you cannot compare your everyday Audi car to your neighbor's ferrari nor your Toyota Landcruiser to your neighbor's Suzuki Vitara. Common guys, this is not an "L" lens and can't even barely reach half of the price of an L lens. So why compare a non L lens to an L lens? Does it make sense? NO!!!! Obviously... Don't compare michael jordan to shaquille Oneal. Ok? Back to the topic, if I have to choose a general walkaround lens, I'd probably pick 17-85 f4-5.6 IS and 28-135 3.5-5.6 IS. Why? Because of the IS. These lens are not the best around but may do the job for a while or even for a long time if budget is an issue. If you have the money, why would settle for a non L lens? Got my drift? If you're into sports photography or requires fast lenses, then go with canon's 2.8 or lower lens series. I picked the 28-135 IS over the 17-85 because I believe that I can maximize the use of IS in 135mm over the 85mm. If wide is an issue, have yourself a kit lens for a while then upgrade to 17-55 2.8 IS lens. Never had a problem with this lens, very clear , vivid color, useful in most cases, and deliver good photos when needed for the price consideration. I recommend this lens (or the 17-85 IS if wide reach is an issue), if you still cannot afford the L lens. This is a very good lens.
Cons:
Kinda Heavy

Dec 11, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add glenn mendoza to your Buddy List
Bronwen Zande

Registered: Dec 10, 2006
Review Date: Dec 10, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Price, weight, versatile, great as an every day lense
Cons:
5.6 can be a bit limiting in low light, not an L lens

This was my first lense for my canon 350D and it's been great. It's fairly light weight, and is a versatile lense. I only switch over to a wide angle or a zoom when it's really necessary. It's a great lens when you can only take 1 lense with you. The pictures are sharp and colours good for the price.

Dec 10, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Bronwen Zande to your Buddy List
tmr_wa

Registered: Sep 7, 2004
Review Date: Dec 1, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros:
Cons:

Mixed reviews on this site had me a bit worried about the 28-135 IS lens. Despite the reviews, I remained very attracted by the range of the 28-135 on the 1.6x 10D; a 45-216mm lens encompasses my most used focal lengths for landscape photography, as well as most of my family snapshots that result in prints no larger than 8x10 inches. I have been relying on single focal length, prime lenses, or the 17-40/4 L to fill this range. Yet, even with the 1.6x, the 17-40 zoom just wasnít long enough for most of my uses. The 17-40 zoom wasnít very useful for family snapshots as I donít typically like using focal lengths under 40mm for this type of photography. The primes are relatively small and lightweight, and are, of course, capable of producing very high quality images. But, for landscape photography Iím typically stopping down to f/8 and changing prime lenses in the field is hardly convenient.

So, I finally went for the 28-135. Letís get the negatives out of the way first. The lens is not up to L-build quality. The zooming barrel of the lens wobbles and its design does appear to be prone to sucking in dust. The lens isnít as sharp as my prime lenses, and the color and contrast are lacking in comparison to L-series lenses. The manual focus ring is very small, but I would not use manual focus very often with this zoom. I donít like paying extra for the hood, but alas, this is standard Canon practice with non-L lenses.

Now I can address the positives. The lens isnít too large for a zoom with this range Ė very similar in size to the 17-40. The lens is sharper than I expected, given user reports. Maybe I just got lucky? Of course, when used wide open, this lens isnít as sharp as a Canon prime, but who would expect this type of performance in a zoom? Even wide open, the lens is more than sharp enough to make small to medium-sized prints and produce images for the web display. The range of the lens is considerable, and it covers my most frequently used focal lengths. Image stabilization is the real deal, although itís no substitute for a tripod. I almost always use a tripod for landscapes, but this lens makes for a great travel lens. For instance, I didnít have my tripod with me when I shot this image at sunset, at 135mm:

In sum, I think the 28-135 is a very good deal and I look forward to using it more extensively in landscape applications. If I lost this one, I wouldnít hesitate to get another; my total expense for two 28-135 zooms would still be well under the cost of a new 24-105/L.

Dec 1, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add tmr_wa to your Buddy List
Agatep

Registered: Nov 1, 2006
Review Date: Nov 19, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 4

Pros: USM Range
Cons:
Soft-Copy

The copy I owed was awful. I compared it with my 28-105 and it was not even in the same ballpark.

I had a bad copy and this leaves me with a bad taste. I'm sure that the good copies are fine, but beware!

Nov 19, 2006