Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

182 533342 Sep 11, 2014
7.8
ef_28-135_35_1_

Standard zoom lens with an Image Stabilizer and high zoom ratio. With the Image Stabilizer turned on, you can obtain sharp, natural-looking pictures in dim lighting without using flash or a tripod. Very handy for places where flash is prohibited. Uses ring-type USM for swift, silent autofocus and full-time manual focus. Closest focusing distance is 20 in. (50 cm).

chrishierons

Registered: Nov 13, 2003
Review Date: Nov 22, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: IS; Lightweight; very good all around lens;
Cons:
Zoom action loose => zoom creep;

This lens replaced my 28-90 lens, and is a significent step-up. I bought it for my EOS300. It now lives on my Eos 3. When ever I go on holiday it's my first choice.

Nov 22, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add chrishierons to your Buddy List
rainmax

Registered: Oct 19, 2003
Location: Slovenia
Review Date: Oct 20, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: fast focus, IS, great starter lens, range,.. compatibility with 10 D ISO 100 - 3200
Cons:
I WANT SOME MORE ...

Using this lens on my EOS 10 D is a yoy.So far this is my only lens.good - very good.

Oct 20, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add rainmax to your Buddy List
chris78cpr

Registered: Aug 27, 2003
Review Date: Sep 5, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $350.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great starter lens, great range, IS is very handy, great when coupled with 10D in telephoto aspects.
Cons:
Not so good at wideangle on 10D, slightly soft, doesnt use the 77mm filter that all the lens i am buying use. (I'm picking now)

Great starter lens, bought mine with my Eos 3 and it was great, tried it on my 10D and it was great too, overall the best starter lens in canon's range! This is my most used lens, well actually my only lens but i love it.

I feel it may be less used when the 24-70 2.8 L and 70-200 2.8 L IS are added to my bag but until then it'll be used all the time!!!

Buy it, you wont regret it unless you have the above mentioned lens's.

Chris

Sep 5, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add chris78cpr to your Buddy List
Lars Johnsson

Registered: Jun 29, 2003
Review Date: Aug 1, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $475.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Good range, IS, Image quality, Price
Cons:
Barrel extending when zooming, Soft wide open

Because the lens has a very good range I use it a lot. It's also a very good travel lens. And the image quality is pretty good compared to the price of the lens.

Aug 1, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Lars Johnsson to your Buddy List
FredericB

Registered: Jul 22, 2003
Review Date: Aug 1, 2003 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 4

Pros: IS, range
Cons:
too soft from 28 to 35mm and 100 to 135mm, poor contrast, poor color restitution

From the people I talked to, it seems I got a bad copy of this lens - still it is very soft at wide angle and lacks any kind of contrast above 100mm.

I use it as my "familly" reunion lens when I do not want the "inperfections" of the skin to show (no risk) and the IS is helpful in difficult light situations.

I am waiting to change for the 24-70 f:2.8 L and I will not miss the 28-135 IS at all.

Now that I have upgraded to the 24-70 f:2.8L for a few months I am not using the 28-135 at all any more. I wish I had a little more reach (like 24-100) but I did give up the reach without regret for such an upgrade in quality.

Aug 1, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add FredericB to your Buddy List
Canonizer

Registered: May 21, 2003
Review Date: Jul 12, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Useful focal length range (in the film world), IS gives sharper images at slower shutter speeds, good build quality.
Cons:
Zoom creep, barrel extends when zooming.

If I were allowed one and only one lens, this would be it.

Close to an L lens in sharpness, the optical perfomance has left me very satisifed. Contrast is excellent. CA is acceptably controlled, and there is no obvious barrel distortion. I rarely have a flare problem, and I don't even own the hood for it.

I love IS, because I hate tripods. It works amazingly well. I own three IS lenses. My field estimate is that I gain 2 stops in terms of hand holdability. So my Velvia suddenly becomes the equivalent of a 200 speed film!

For the film world, the 28-135 focal length range is extremely useful. This lens spends a lot of time mounted to my cameras and makes for a great "walk around" lens. However, in the digital 1.6x world, the lens takes on a lot less useful personality. You'll really miss the wide end. The lens produces great images in both the film and digital worlds.

Recommended without reservation.

Jul 12, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Canonizer to your Buddy List
JCDoss

Registered: Jan 1, 2002
Review Date: Jun 10, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Price, range, IS
Cons:
Build quality, variable aperture, slow

This lens is my "starter lens," as it is for about a bajillion other people. I am extremely satisfied with this lens, and I will probably continue to use it until Canon introduces an L-quality lens with a similar wide range. I find the focal length range ideal for my D30, albeit the apertures vary (blah!) and are a bit slow for indoor use. The IS is quite amazing, and if you have no experience with it, rest assured that it works very well. My only complaints are minor: First, the lens will underexpose by about half a stop. I'm convinced this is a by-product of the variable aperture mechanism and not related to the camera since my other lenses do not underexpose. Second, the build quality is a bit lax. There is a bit of "play" in the lens when extended, and there is significant zoom creep. Overall, it is an excellent lens and I have no regrets.

Jun 10, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add JCDoss to your Buddy List
traveler

Registered: Jan 8, 2002
Review Date: May 28, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $425.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Amazingly versatile, IS a life saver at times, Decent color and contrast, fast to lock focus in decent light
Cons:
Lens creep, Needs some additional curve action in Photoshop to bring out the contrast a tad

Make NO mistake about it, while this is NO 'L" lens, it is THE workhorse of the Canon line. If my sources aren't far off, Canon may well sell more of this lens than any other in their line. Indeed it is perhaps one of the MOST versatile they have ever produced. Whenever I'm in a outdoor situation and am not sure how much reach I'll need this is my "Go To" lens regardless of the fact I have a bunch of "L's" in my bag. It has never let me down. With some minor touching up in Photoshop I can get some superbly sharp and color rich output from it. Focusing in darker situations is challenging if not impossible (no weddings in a chapel with this lens to be sure), but for outdoor use in decent light, you'll do just fine. Again there may have been some bad copies of this lens floating around, but once again, if you get a good copy you're all set. AT F8 this lens is about as sharp as anything out there, so for general all purpose and outdoor shooting it can be wonderful to have IS as your friend, especially if you're not the steadiest of handholders.

May 28, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add traveler to your Buddy List
Photon

Registered: Jan 18, 2003
Review Date: May 23, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: IS can be a lifesaver, optics excellent at middle apertures, great zoom range, light weight
Cons:
zoom creep, softness at wide apertures

I bought this lens within a few months of its release [6 years ago?], and it continues to be a workhorse for me. I've shot perhaps 10,000 images with it, starting on film and going through generations of DSLRs. When I used to shoot Kodak Technical Pan and make 12x18 darkroom prints, it was clear that Canon's 50/1.4 was sharper [right to the corners, even at f/4, and a knockout at 5.6-11], whereas the 28-135 was soft wide open, and even at f/11 did not quite have the contrast and resolution of the 50 [well duh!]. However, with a DSLR, even my 1Ds, the zoom is about as sharp as any lens at f/11, and for portrait work at 5.6 and 8, the center is as sharp as a tack [and who cares about the corners!], so I'm happy. There is some zoom creep when the lens is angled down, I wouldn't trust it to resist moisture (though it has withstood a few sprinkles over the years), and as you would expect, low light focusing is not as good as with an f/2.8 lens, but all in all, even if I had the full range of L lenses (I have one, and plan in time to add two more) I would grab one of these - it's a very useful lens to have! I won't give up mine unless Canon comes out with a 24-135 with IS, preferably with faster aperture and L build quality but not too much more weight!

May 23, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Photon to your Buddy List
JDGill

Registered: Apr 30, 2003
Review Date: May 2, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $350.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Decent optical quality, IS works well, good allrounder
Cons:
Zoom action very loose, always at 135mm hanging from your shoulder

Convenient but not as well built as it could be.

May 2, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add JDGill to your Buddy List
rlay

Registered: Mar 11, 2002
Review Date: Apr 28, 2003 Recommend? no | Price paid: $535.00 | Rating: 6

Pros:
  • Light weight
  • Better than most P&S digicam lenses
  • Cons:
  • not enough bokeh (blurring of background for portraits) especially on the telephoto end
  • even with IS, handholding with shutterspeeds slower than 1/45 is difficult
  • on a 1.6x crop digital SLR the wide end is not enough for group portraits

• This is a decent travel lens for outdoor photography or indoors with a flash because of its weight. Ive read a lot of reviews about how sharp this lens is, but I dont see it. Any of the L-series zooms seem sharper to me. I sold mine last year after using it sparingly for 2 years.

If you're on a budget, I would recommend a Sigma wide angle zoom (17-35 or 15-30), 50/1.4 and a 70-200/4L to cover this range (and beyond) more effectively.... or if you've got money to burn, go for the L-series zooms 16-35, 28-70, and 70-200.

Apr 28, 2003
    View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add rlay to your Buddy List
    Hammsailor

Registered: Oct 17, 2002
    Review Date: Apr 24, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $450.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: I would buy this lens again, and not just as a "starter lens." Excellent IS, very sharp images (despite one or two other reviewers stating that it's not the sharpest lens in the deck - perhaps they need a new monitor and/or printer). Lens did not creep on long, bouncey walks, build seems great and of course the lens extends when you zoom. Very versatile lens when you don't want to carry several. Use Cokin "P" adapter rings and one set of "P" filters for all of your lenses to keep filter costs down. It's not an L lens, but the cost isn't L either.
    Cons:
    None that I could observe. Have only shot 700-800 images so far, though, on my A2E and D60

Apr 24, 2003
    View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Hammsailor to your Buddy List
    Rodrigo.Bruno

Registered: Sep 12, 2002
    Review Date: Apr 22, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Great Entry level lens, IS, Produce relatively sharp images(Not wide open) , focal range is handy with 1.6x mult. factor.
    Cons:
    Wide Open produces non-sharp images

This was my first lens and I used it a lot. If you are learning and trying different scenarios this lens will suite most of your needs. The image quality is not comparable with an L glass but the price is also not comparable. The image color reproduction is good. Great Lens plus you get the IS what helps a lot novices to get those great sharp shots.

Apr 22, 2003
    View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Rodrigo.Bruno to your Buddy List
    Theresa Z.

Registered: Mar 19, 2002
    Review Date: Apr 22, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent sharpness and contrast. Great IS functionality.
    Cons:
    Cheaply built (things seem to be loose).

This lens is a great value. Maybe I have a good one but I love the contrast and sharpness.

Apr 22, 2003
    View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Theresa Z. to your Buddy List
    Ricciardi

Registered: Apr 1, 2003
    Review Date: Apr 2, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros:
    Cons:

This is the lens that took almost 95% of my pictures with my Elan II. I just cnat leave without it. Its is VERY good when used around f/8.

With the 10D the focal distance changed to 48-215mm, more or less. And that make me use my Sigma 15-30 more. Now you see me changing lens more often and that is bad. But its not a lens issue. Just the 1.6 multiplying factor of the 10D.

Go for it. Its a wonderful product for the price.

Apr 2, 2003
    View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Ricciardi to your Buddy List
    rdonson

Registered: Feb 22, 2002
    Review Date: Apr 2, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $450.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: very good all around lens, IS, very good value
    Cons:
    lens extends during zoom

A great first lens for a lot of people. It's focal range is very good and the IS makes it much more useful than f/3.5-5.6 might otherwise seem. I pack it often for travel when I don't want to carry a bag of lens and want just one to get me through the trip. When stopped down a couple of stops it is capable of producing very sharp images. Great bang for the buck.

Apr 2, 2003
    View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add rdonson to your Buddy List

Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM