Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

180 527513 Dec 14, 2013
7.8
ef_28-135_35_1_

Standard zoom lens with an Image Stabilizer and high zoom ratio. With the Image Stabilizer turned on, you can obtain sharp, natural-looking pictures in dim lighting without using flash or a tripod. Very handy for places where flash is prohibited. Uses ring-type USM for swift, silent autofocus and full-time manual focus. Closest focusing distance is 20 in. (50 cm).

rbussmann

Registered: Apr 11, 2013
Review Date: Dec 14, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $235.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Good range on FF, relatively small, ok quality in good light.
Cons:
Zoom creep, soft borders wide open.

Good for the price. Makes for a nice walk around lens on FF.

Dec 14, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add rbussmann to your Buddy List
Larry Koch

Registered: May 3, 2007
Review Date: Jun 18, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $175.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Versatile zoom range, IS, full-time manual focus over-ride, fast, quiet focus
Cons:
Zoom Creep, 28mm not wide enough on crop body

The 28-135mm IS is a worthy lens in my opinion. Lens creep can be a bit annoying, but it isn't a very long fall and the versatility of zoom range, quick and silent auto-focus, and outstanding Image Stabilization make it well worth dealing with a few inches of creep. And don't forget, you also get full-time manual focus over-ride, and that is EXTREMELY convenient.

I find the lens sharp and the contrast very good. I personally use a Custom Image Parameter setting and beef up the in camera sharpness a couple of notches.

Biggest drawback is 28mm is not much of a wide angle on a crop body, but I like zoom flexibility more, so it is worth it to me. Buy a cheap, used or refurb 18-55 IS if you need extra wide angle for 100 bucks.

Jun 18, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Larry Koch to your Buddy List
Nozzleforward

Registered: Jun 15, 2011
Review Date: Jun 2, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $150.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Not too big, good quality, quick focus, decent IS, great starter lens.
Cons:
Not very wide on crop cameras, monsterous when mounted on a Rebel size camera.

I've owned three of these now, all of them have been good. I first started shooting with an XT and one of these lenses, it was a great setup to learn basic photography skills with. The zoom range is good, though limited on crop sensor cameras. This lens makes a great "walk around" setup on a full frame or 1.3 (1D-Mark whatever) camera.

If you're looking for a good starter lens, or something for travel, I would certainly suggest checking this one out.

Jun 2, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Nozzleforward to your Buddy List
willis

Registered: Jul 23, 2005
Review Date: Oct 9, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Good range on FF. Decently sharp wide open, great stopped down, IS, not too expensive, especially used.
Cons:
Not such a useful range on crop, slow variable apertue, colour not as vibrant and contrast lower than more expensive alternatives. Build is OK but nowhere near L quality. IS only 2 stops, zoom creep. Distortion.

Decent value, much better optically than some of the cheapest EF-S lenses but range not great for crop cameras. Build is so-so. Surprisingly good optically on the 5D if you're willing to use a little PP. Punches above its weight when its price is taken into consideration.

Oct 9, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add willis to your Buddy List
djpapa

Registered: Nov 4, 2009
Review Date: Dec 1, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $300.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: IS ,28-135, not expensive,light weight
Cons:
barrel sliding

You pay what you got.
I use it outdoor under sunshine day and lighting setup in studio

Here with some image :

Dec 1, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add djpapa to your Buddy List
sing4u

Registered: Jul 11, 2003
Review Date: Oct 11, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Good walk around lens. Not expensive. Good zoom range. Great snap shot lens and a good studio lens.
Cons:
Color and contrast not as good as more expensive lens, but can be fixed in post processing.

I have owned this lens since 2003 when I purchased it with the Canon 10D. I have also used with the 5D and now with the 5D MK II. This is a nice lens to use for snapshots at the kids birthday parties or when shooting in the studio at F8. For the most part, this is a two stop lens for me either F5.6 or F8. It does a fine job at these F stops. If I want something more wide open, I use a prime. The color/contrast is not as good as the primes and it is not as sharp. But, I have found these issues pretty easy to correct in post processing. I have thought about purchasing the 24-105L, but prefer using a prime when I want more than a snapshot. I highly recommend this lens, but, you have to set your expectations accordingly.

Oct 11, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add sing4u to your Buddy List
rideklein

Registered: Apr 2, 2010
Review Date: Jun 8, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $275.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Bang-for-the-Buck, Accurate AF, USM, IS, Good Walkaround Lens.
Cons:
Wobbly Zoom Barrel.

I use this on a T1i (APS-C) as a general purpose (walkaround) outdoor lens for when I want additional reach over my 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM.

This was my first general purpose outdoor lens, before I bought the 15-85. I loved it, well -- until I bought the 15-85.

I have taken a lot of great pictures with the 28-135. If this FL range suits your needs, and you have a limited budget, I highly recommend it. However, if you can afford the 24-105 f/4L, get it instead. It is sharper, and it is faster at the longer FL's, even though its max zoom range is slightly less (105 vs 135). I rented the 24-105, and did witness its ability.

Regarding the Barrel Creep... I don't think it's as big a deal as people make it to be. It's there, but if you're mindful of it, it's no big deal.

I ended up shelving my 28-135 in favor of the 15-85 due to the minimum FL on my APS-C. 28mm = 45mm on full frame. I missed group and close-subject shots because I couldn't fill the frame with everything I wanted. However, I made shots between 85-135mm, that I'll have to foot-zoom or crop now with the 15-85.

Conclusion: If you're an Rebel owner, like most of us are that would be considering this lens, and don't have $600-700 to spend on the 15-85, or $1000 to spend on the 17-55 or 24-105L, then this is a great step up from the usual 18-55 kit lens. See how well the 28-135 zoom range suits your needs. Its IQ belies its low cost of ownership.

Jun 8, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add rideklein to your Buddy List
aVOLanche

Registered: Apr 7, 2005
Review Date: Jan 12, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Range is excellent...especially on FF.Good IS.Well built compared to the new plastic lenses.Good color/contrast and sharp.Excellent lens for $300!
Cons:
Size/weight

Excellent value in a nice walk-around lens.

Jan 12, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add aVOLanche to your Buddy List
mscottlogan

Registered: Feb 7, 2008
Review Date: Jan 11, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $350.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: good lens not an L series but defiently a good walking around lens. Noice picture taking quality.
Cons:
zoom creep goes to 5.6 at 135

Jan 11, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mscottlogan to your Buddy List
Mike1.6

Registered: May 24, 2005
Review Date: Jan 3, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $275.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: A useful zoom range for a walk around lens, even on a crop camera. Full time manual focus. Quick and quiet USM auto-focus. Focus distance window on lens. Image stabilization. Center sharpness throuhgout the zoom/ aperture range. Weight.
Cons:
Corner softness. Zoom droop. Not the best choice for full-frame edge to edge sharpness.

Let's make sure we keep in mind the price/performance ratio on this under-rated lens. At the price most people end up paying for this Canon upper level consumer zoom the value is incredible.

That is to say, if you buy it as part of a camera kit with your 40D/50D/7D you're paying only $200 for it. If you buy it used from someone selling it from a kit you'll pay between $275-$300. At those prices, this lens is a bargain. The autofocus is fast and quiet. The zoom range, although a little narrow on the short end makes up for it on the 135 end. Image quality is very good, although it does suffer from CA it is not a deal breaker.

If you need a walk around lens that won't break the bank and will give you very good images, you know, the kind that DON'T look like they came from you kid's point&shoot, buy this lens USED.

Jan 3, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Mike1.6 to your Buddy List
biglank1

Registered: Nov 17, 2008
Review Date: Nov 3, 2009 Recommend? no | Price paid: $290.00 | Rating: 5

Pros: Convenience of zoom range. Auto focus is surprisingly quiet
Cons:
poor contrast, color representation, lens creep

So I was in my "young and dumb" stage of just starting out. I couldn't afford individual lenses that met the focal distances of this lens. So I did what most beginners do: buy the cheapest lens you can afford. I've always heard to spend good money on good lenses, because you'll quickly get tired of the cheap lenses and want to upgrade. I should have listened. It's merely a kit lens, just slightly better the dreaded 18-55mm that comes with the Rebel series. I would recommend it for people who aren't considering becoming serious about photography and just want it for decent pictures at family barbecues and vacations. If you are interested in becoming serious about photography, don't buy this lens with your 40 or 50d. I typically take pictures of people. I haven't tried it much on landscape, so I can't really speak on that. Get the body separate because it will be cheaper, and spend money on a lens that you won't quickly outgrow. I was satisfied with the lens for maybe the first month or two. Then I started comparing my pictures to real photographers, trying to figure what I was doing wrong, not realizing no matter how hard I tried, I would be greatly limited by the abilities of this lens. I'm honestly surprised that Canon would sell it for so high. Please save up your money and get something that will be worth it. The lens creeps out if you hold it down. Online, this lens looks like it would have a good quality build, but it's very plasticky.

Nov 3, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add biglank1 to your Buddy List
Lane48

Registered: Sep 3, 2008
Review Date: Nov 3, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $410.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Very Good Image Quality, Nice Focal Range, Very Good IS, Autofocus Accuracy, USM, Price
Cons:
Zoom Creep

This is one of Canonís most underrated non-L zooms. I purchased this lens in November 2007 to fill a need/desire to have an IS lens with this range. I have not been disappointed. Even though this lens is only f/3.5-5.6, I find that I can get consistently good shots at very low shutter speeds, and in low light. The color and contrast is also very good. I have read a lot of reviews comparing this lens to the 24-105L and I find that there really are not a lot of differences between the two; except in price. I have taken a lot of photographs inside and outside, with flash and without, and this lens performs very well. When I am not concerned about depth of field and I just want to relax and shoot, I will put this lens on my 50D any day.

Nov 3, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Lane48 to your Buddy List
vince

Registered: Mar 18, 2002
Review Date: Oct 23, 2009 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: IS, fast focusing, decent build quality.
Cons:
Average optics

I reviewed this lens once before, a long while back, but after having used other lenses extensively I need to re-review this. Back then, it was a pretty decent consumer kit zoom on film cameras. I had a chance to compare images shot with this lens on my old 300D with images taken on the 18-55 kit lens and other more recent zooms. This lens fares poorly compared to even the cheapest all-plastic zooms available today. 6-7 years ago, I would have recommended it, but today there are several cheaper and better alternatives.

I'd rate this a 4/10 today in value and optical quality.

Oct 23, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add vince to your Buddy List
Nick Baker

Registered: Mar 29, 2009
Review Date: Sep 15, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 3

Pros: IS, USM, ok construction for price
Cons:
Terrible CA at wide angle on FF, relatively soft, barrel creep, variable aperture, crummy zoom feel

This lens performs OK on a crop, but is not very useful range on a crop imo. If you are not used to higher end lenses you may be fine with this....

get a prime instead..... just sayin.

The FF performance is unacceptable, with wide angle shots in even medium contrast producing mostly unfixable CA.

There are better lenses for the money.

If you must have one, buy it used off amazon or these forums because this particular lens does not hold value due to its prevalence as a kit lens and disappointing qualities.

Sep 15, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Nick Baker to your Buddy List
MarcyJillGood

Registered: May 19, 2009
Review Date: Aug 15, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $409.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Good IQ
Cons:
Doesn't retain its value

This is a tough one for me - I am new to dSLRs, and I have learned a few things when purchasing extra lenses.

The copy I got has given me excellent images, so I shouldn't complain. If you get a good copy, and if you're not prone to lusting after L lenses, it's probably a good value. However, once I realized that people buy & sell lenses like crazy (or some do, at least), and once I learned the lens doesn't retain its value the way some others do, I was a bit disappointed that I'd purchased it. I'd recommend it to others, but with those reservations as well as reservations about the slippage I'm mentioning below.

I've read reviews that the lens slips in and out rather sloppily, and I've had the same problem. It hasn't yet affected the IQ or the ability to hold the AF long enough to get a shot, but I wonder if it would create problems after extended usage.

So far, I've only used it on the XSi. Recently became the happy (I hope) owner of a 5D Mkii, so I need to try it out on that body as well.

Aug 15, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add MarcyJillGood to your Buddy List
Matt Kerby

Registered: Jun 9, 2007
Review Date: Jul 1, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $230.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Nice zoom range, pretty light, good IS.
Cons:
Not the sharpest glass in my bag

I use this on my 20D for my bike rides, does the job, not gonna win any awards for the sharpest lens but for what it is, it's a good deal

Jul 1, 2009