Sigma 20-40mm f2.8 EX Aspherical DG DF

25 97893 Mar 31, 2012
6.9
20_40F28_1_

Sigma is adding a new 20-40mm f2.8 EX Aspherical DG DF lens to the EX DG lens group.

This new 20-40mm f2.8 EX Aspherical DG DF lens provides f2.8 large maximum aperture for all focal lengths between ultra-wide angle 20mm to 40mm.

The lens has minimum focus distance of 11.8 inches (30cm) at all focal lengths and maximum magnification is 1: 4.6.

It incorporates aspherical lenses in the front lens group and rear lens group to minimize distortion, astigmatism and spherical aberration.

The lens is equipped with a DF (Dual Focus) mechanism and also an IF (Inner Focus) system. It is easy to hold the lens during shooting, since the focusing ring does not rotate during auto focusing, and yet it provides adequate dampening of the focusing ring during manual focusing of the lens.

Page:  1 · 2

Josstover

Registered: Sep 29, 2005
Review Date: Nov 6, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharpness, contrast, robust, good in combination with D70, apt for SLR and DSLR
Cons:
Rather bulky, 82m filtersize

Bouht it some time ago as a subsitute for my 18-70 nikkor kitlens (came with D70), which I did-not like at all (soft and most of the time obscure pictures). Needed a lens for my F70 and D70. It's well built and image quality is more than OK. Some people in this forum complain that this lens is not sharp. Incredible, mine is much sharper en contrasty than the nikkor lens.

Got it from a shop in Utrecht (Holland) as a special offer. Glad I got rid of that kitlens.

Nov 6, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Josstover to your Buddy List
ray_lam5

Registered: Sep 18, 2005
Review Date: Oct 11, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharp images, little distortion even at 20mm. Build quality and images are fantastic
Cons:
Weight, very minor CA fringing, MF/AF focus switching a bit cumbersome, loud focusing not very quick

Bought this from warehouseexpress.com and fitted it to my new eos 305D. I take a lot of architectural shots and landscapes, so my recent honeymoon trip to sicilly provided the perfect platform to test it out. The colours are not as vivid as i wantd but probably due to the overcast weather. however I caught some amazing sunrises, interiors of cathedrals and landscape shots over mountains. Images were very sharp at all zoom ranges and very useful in night shots however i should have took along my tripod!

Overall i am pleased with the inexpensive lense especially in comparison to the Canon L range which would cost over double what i paid for.

Oct 11, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ray_lam5 to your Buddy List
dazaau

Registered: Feb 28, 2005
Review Date: Sep 21, 2005 Recommend? no | Price paid: $300.00 | Rating: 3

Pros: Cheap, Looks nice,
Cons:
not very sharp, lots of CA

I got this lens and sent it to sigma becuase I though there as something wrong with it. Didn't like it at all really, I have some good photos from it and wouldn't say it was bad, but the CA is pretty horrible! I didn't think it was sharp either. All in all I wouldn't recommended it.

Sep 21, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add dazaau to your Buddy List
MrBiggies

Registered: Aug 25, 2005
Review Date: Aug 25, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $485.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Very sharp especially at 20mm, nice contrast, fast, solid, nice MF
Cons:
A bit heavy and bulky

I bought this lens 3 months ago along with the 350D. I've made several photo's with this lens and it is very sharp at 20mm and above F4. At 40mm it's a bit softer till F5.6. I also have the Canon EF50mm F1.4 USM and recently I did a test to compare the sharpness between the two lenses. I photographed a 10 euro bill and from F7.1 at 20mm it's almost on par with the EF 50 F1.4 USM! The difference is really small. At 40mm sharpness was a bit softer below F5.6.

I've added a Tiffen circ. pol. filter and till now I'm very pleased with this lens. I've made a 30x45cm enlargement and it's still super sharp!

Regards,

MrBiggies

Aug 25, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add MrBiggies to your Buddy List
wepwawet

Registered: Jun 30, 2005
Review Date: Jun 30, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $350.00 | Rating: 3

Pros: Solid build, good sharpnerss at 40mm.
Cons:
Very soft at 20mm up to f/8, unacceptable corner shapness, awkward double focus mechanism, big and heavy, limited zoom range. Image quality simply not good enough for the weight and limited zoom range. Buy a prime instead !

I did not see many reviews of this lens, but the few that I could find seemed good. I decided to place image quality before zoom range and weight, and bought it from an online store. Build quality is very good, the lens feels solid and well built, but the double focus mechanism takes some getting used to... The lens is heavy and large though! Looks very professional on my D70.

After a few outdoor shooting sessions with my D70, I was very disappointed. The lens is sharp at the tele end, even wide open, but the wide angle end is simply unacceptably fuzzy up to f/8 or so, and the corner shapness remains low even then. It is quite prone to flaring and ghosting, even in mild backlit consitions.

Had the focal range been larger or the lens lighter, I would perharps have kept it. But carrying around a 550g heavyweight that is so wide that it blocks out the built-in flash, and zooms only twice, should be balanced by great image quality, which this lens does NOT offer. I returned it after a few days.
Buy a prime instead, it will be as fast, MUCH sharper and lighter, and just use your feet to zoom !

Jun 30, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add wepwawet to your Buddy List
Bitty

Registered: Apr 1, 2005
Review Date: May 3, 2005 Recommend? no | Price paid: $260.00 | Rating: 2

Pros: None
Cons:
See below

Got this today from Warehouseexpress.com UK. I was not convinced it was brand new; I'd guess new. Whether this was as Sigma off-loading returns, I do not know. Whatever, using a 20D and D60 with a good tripod) there is nothing optically that looks right about this lens. I tried it outside first then a newspaper test. It is soft in different places (right side, left side, all over etc) at different focal lengths and apertures. Even f8 still leaves soft corners. It is flare prone and exhibits a lot of CA - as bad as my pocket Canon S50.

Mechanically it seems fine - just like my Sigma 28-70 EX DF (which is a very good lens). But the comparison stops there.

In the last 12 months, I have tried five Sigma lenses from three different shops. I tried two 15-30s from Jessops both proved to be faulty. I tried two 20 f1.8s from Ffordes both optically faulty. Now I have just tried a 20-40 and the same faulty performance. Sigma trully is getting a very bad name for quality. These were all EX lenses, ie their best. I truly do not think I will bother with Sigma again. When they're good they're really good value but trying to get one is NOT worth the hassle!

May 3, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Bitty to your Buddy List
Armin

Registered: Jan 5, 2004
Review Date: Feb 14, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: One of the best buys for 1.6/1.5 crop DSLR's 32-64 mm equiv., good picture quality, very good from 20-30 mm.
Cons:
No USM, a little bit noisy,...It's not highend, but for the price it's outstanding.

I expected less when I ordered the Sigma 20-40 EX DG DF, so I'm pleased with this zoom, as it's really good built. Pictures are sharp enough and have enough contrast for more than just around the house shootings (f >5.6).

Focus on a 10D is fast and pretty accurate - just enviously about the silent USM of my canons (the sigma sounds sometimes like a toy). Slightly wideangle CA at the corners (expected), the average contrast output should be tuned in photoshop, the zoom typical flare is rare visible and not significant or really disturbing (maybe a benefit of the "DG" digital design. So - I saw more expensive zooms with bigger probs ;-) . No other cons....especially for the price.

Best results @ 20-28mm f 5,6 - f 11, in this range good enough for average pro-level.

Acceptable complement to my EF50/1.4 and 70-200IS. What do I need more....maybe a replacement with fast Canon L USM primes - everything else don't make me nervous.

Feb 14, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Armin to your Buddy List
Hugster

Registered: Nov 6, 2003
Review Date: Nov 24, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent wide angle results when used on my D60
Cons:
Because the size if the lens is so big (82mm) you willnot be able to use the in-built flash because of a shadow cast

Buy one, you won't regret it!

Nov 24, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Hugster to your Buddy List
Wanpakboy

Registered: May 18, 2003
Review Date: Aug 5, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $620.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: fast, good cost performance
Cons:
lowish contrast

I decided to re write my review after 4 months of shooting with it every day
very useful lens on a 10D. but I always wish it went a little wider and a little longer.

exelent sharpness on the short end, softens a bit at 40mm below f4

as for resistance to CA I cant tell where the sensor bloom ends and the ca begins

exelent flare resistance for the direct bright polygon on image type of flare. weak againsed the bright contrast damaging type

good auto foucus. accurate, fairly fast but whiny. beautiful manual foucus.

tough! took a nasty spill off my bicycle and fell right on my camera... after discovering I was still alive I checked my camera, hot shoe was flatened, 20-40 had a big scar on the lens hood. fixed the hotshoe with pliers and lens and camera are fine
overall A nice pice of glass with a high cost performance ratio.

Aug 5, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Wanpakboy to your Buddy List

Sigma 20-40mm f2.8 EX Aspherical DG DF