Canon EOS D30

34 45812 Oct 26, 2010
8.8
D30

The EOS D30 features a large-area CMOS imaging sensor newly developed by Canon, with outstanding image quality sufficient for producing richly detailed color prints up to 11x14-inches. The new digital camera also accommodates all Canon EF lenses plus a wide range of EOS system accessories, giving photographers greater creative flexibility and providing current EOS System users an economical way to make the transition to digital imaging.

Javier Rey

Registered: Jan 21, 2002
Review Date: Oct 26, 2010 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Excellent
Cons:
Nono

The only camera in my collection that I will NEVER shell. The best that Canon has made to date. A real gem.

Oct 26, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Javier Rey to your Buddy List
PJ Fish

Registered: Nov 24, 2006
Review Date: Sep 15, 2010 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: read my former review,but in general it is a very capable camera even today,its a bargain to learn on,my brother has mine now and he is so happy,its a good entry level DSLR-super good build .
Cons:
hmm to small files,a little slow..

My brother is so happy with this good oldtimer and he use it to make photos of his kids and alike,he thinks its a gem,so do i.

A couple a years ago i met a local PJ from a small newspaper (with no money on their budget).. ,guess what ? he still use two of them for assignments ?? crazy huh? he told then it was because of the fine files it makes ..the pics you get is awesome even up to iso 400.!
Go and get i cheap,they are made to last forever. Its a classic.

Sep 15, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add PJ Fish to your Buddy List
tolley

Registered: Jan 14, 2006
Review Date: Feb 1, 2007 Recommend? | Price paid: $300.00

Pros: Very nice inexpensive DSLR to learn on. Very well built body.
Cons:
At 3.3 MPs its considered low today.

You can't compare this to more modern bodie because of the low MP count. But it is made very well, the pro-series bodies are awesome. Would make a very good first DSLR for anyone looking to learn a bit before dropping big bucks.

Feb 1, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add tolley to your Buddy List
jay tieger

Registered: Oct 10, 2006
Review Date: Jan 19, 2007 Recommend? | Price paid: $90.00

Pros: easy learning curve...silky smooth tones and sharp res unbelievable for 3+mpxls
Cons:
the viewing screen is too clear, making it hard to manually focus.

Okay, to start out I have to say that the D30/nifty50 sold me me, a Nikon user since the days of F, on Canon and Dslr in general...

...One day back in October, this little old lady at a local thrift shop brought this camera out from behind the counter and asked if I was interested...she didn't know if it worked...I was interested by nearly totally ignorant about it...

It had no CF card, but it came with the batt, charger, and a.c. adapter...I clicked off a shot (apparently it was set to shoot without a CF) and told her that since my cam at home had the same memory card I'd buy it on spec at the very least...how much I asked...$100 she says but for me she'll give a 10% discount...

Well....it bought me...took it home, slipped in my 512mg CF from the A95, and it worked perfectly with, and if you can believe the counter, less than 2,300 shots.

I took some great JPEGs, didn't know RAW from rare, yet, and was sold...A week later I got a 24-85 and a couple months later a 10D...and until I upgrade to a 5d I'll keep the D30 around as perfect backup...

The D30 is a classic! The story is too...got to keep them both around...maybe I'll get around to writing about the 10D...but that'd be just a story about a camera...not like this gem.

Here's a shot from that first day...1/4 crop of a 16x20 enlargement!

Jan 19, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jay tieger to your Buddy List
jay tieger

Registered: Oct 10, 2006
Review Date: Jan 19, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $90.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: VERY easy to learn...easier than the A95 I have. Fine resolution, easily outputs 11x14s and 16x20s when well exposed.
Cons:
I prefer MF but the screen is almost TOO clear for the image to POP in and out of focus...all the other issues are the nature of the beast...i.e. it is what it is...

Okay, to start out I have to say that this camera with the nifty50 bought me...
...this little old lady brought it out from behind the counter at a thrift shop and asked if I was interested...she didn't know if it worked...it had no CF, but it came with the batt, charger, and a.c. adapter...I clicked off a shot (apparently it was set to shoot without a CF) and told her that since cam at home had the same memory card I'd buy it on spec at the very least...
Well....I slipped in my 512mg CF from the A95, and it worked perfectly with, if you can believe the counter, less than 2,300 shots.
I took some great shots, not even in RAW, and was sold!
The D30 is a classic! The story is too...got to keep them both around...
Here's a shot from that first day...a 1/4 crop of a 16x20 enlargement!

Jan 19, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jay tieger to your Buddy List
PJ Fish

Registered: Nov 24, 2006
Review Date: Nov 24, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Fast in JPEG easy to work with ,very strong and handy camera with an fantastc build quality and shutter life! mine must have shot more than 200000 clicks!! its a good PRO camera and lot of my PJ Fellows use it today as a 3rd back as i do,or succesfull travel camera.Highly recomanded ! it still holds its own.A true classic which even is better than or close to a Canon 5D at ISO 200 !! go and get it.
Cons:
Little too slow for sports... too slow in RAW,!

Very good camera and build quality; outstanding iSO 200 pics,very fast JPEG pics,the pic you get is on the same level or even better than todays DSLR!!i often use this on travels or special assignments.
absolutely recomandable.The battery life is great! and it is so so easy to use and set up;
I use it with canon 24-70 2,8 L and 16-35 2,8 L as well as 70-200 2,8 L.Its super! five stars..

Nov 24, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add PJ Fish to your Buddy List
Carl Walker

Registered: Oct 14, 2006
Review Date: Oct 14, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Inexpensive Has a lot of features that I like - AEB, RAW, AP, M, etc... It is better than modern point and click cameras. Accepts most canon lenses. Offers excellent image quality if one learns how to use properly.
Cons:
light meter seems to underexpose by 1 stop consistently for outdoor pics. Slow AF. I hardly use AF anymore. I find MF more precise. Too much noise for my taste at ISO 800 and 1600. Slow boot up time and slow waiting for buffer to empty when shooting in RAW mode.

I got this camera coupled with a canon 28-135mm IS lens about 1.5 years ago. I've taken thousands of pictures with it in that time. The camera has its limitations, as others mentioned, but I have found it to be a reliable and top notch work horse. Recently, I was thinking about buying a small point and click camera for portability reasons. However, I am hard pressed to find a mondern one that has all the features that the 5 year old D30 has. Even with the lower mega pixel count the D30 still outshines modern point and clicks. Sometimes, on certain outdoor shots I can sometimes notice some loss of detail (in high detail areas) if you look closely, at the 3.2 mpix res. However, for the most part I have taken some very nice pictures at that resolution. The camera is slow while in RAW mode (can only take 3 pictures before having to write to disk) but in JPEG mode it is fast. I put it in jpeg mode once and fired off about 30 pictures in rapid succession to make a mini movie about trees dancing in the wind. I am thinking of upgrading to a L series lens because of my lens limitations. Can anyone recommend a good lens for this camera?

Oct 14, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Carl Walker to your Buddy List
SteveFE

Registered: Feb 12, 2006
Review Date: Jun 29, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Six years old and still feels solid. Bargain price used in 2006. The original silky smooth Canon.
Cons:
Now outdated AF. Rubbish flash. Difficult to manual focus with poky screen.

What?! People still reviewing the D30?!

Well I bought mine on eBay last year as an upgrade out of compact noise hell, and am still having huge fun with it. ISO400 and below and the images are fantastically smooth. Shoot RAW and a bit of tweaking with ACR turns in perfect colour and lovely detail. 3.2Mpx also means you can use RAW with small CF cards and minimal processing time in Photoshop.

For a six year old camera with two previous owners who probably caned it as hard as I currently am, mine still feels solid, reliable and unlikely to let me down anytime soon. No creaks or breakages, and the cosmetic appearance is still great; testament to high quality materials. People have mentioned that the sensor res makes it forgiving to poorer quality lenses: maybe so, but I found that a 17-40L gave immediately noticeable and much nicer results than the cheapie Sigma 18-50 f3.5-5.6—sharper and much more contrasty.

I hardly ever use the built-on flash due to poor metering control, or any flash for that matter. A 50mm f1.8, ISO800/1600 and a judicious use of Neat Image have filled the bill for all the low-light stuff I've done (not to mention that flash is impossible or offensive to use in most places like pubs or theatres anyway).

As the cheapest way into DSLR and serious quality shots, a secondhand D30 takes some beating. Just remember it's an older Canon so will not use EF-S lenses.

Jun 29, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add SteveFE to your Buddy List
tolley

Registered: Jan 14, 2006
Review Date: Jan 14, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $300.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Rugged, large (I have big hands), large viewfinder.
Cons:
Low Megapixels

Just got one used for $300. I normally shoot a Rebel XT, but thought I'd get a lesser expensive body to keep with me in the car all the time. Something I wouldn't cry about if I dropped it. Turns out I really like it. More user friendly than the XT I think. Much more professional. Can't beat the price. 3 Mp is kinda low by today's standards but I can't complain.

Jan 14, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add tolley to your Buddy List
patrickwils

Registered: Jun 12, 2003
Review Date: Oct 12, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $300.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Famous colour tonality is true! Can be obtained for $300, excellent students/starters DSLR, very forgiving to lens quality (sharpness, CA). The best 3 Mp you will ever see, Accurate AF (better than 10D in general) Sturdy build, much better than 300/350D, good ergonomics
Cons:
Newer cameras have better high ISO usability, but ISO 400 is still very good AF needs some light as everyone knows, AF is slowish. In-camera jpeg not recommended; use RAW

What a great unique camera this is! I bought it 2 years ago for about $700 and have liked it eversince. I also got a 10D a few moths before this one and although the 10D was THE camera in 2003/2004, I can nowadays say that the D30 has special qualities that now seem to have returned in the shape of the 5D: the wonderful tonality of skin tones and saturation of warm colours. Compared to the 10D the D30 needs less adjustments to colour, they have a natural saturation to start with. Be careful with the white balance however: it sometimes is a bit off and needs adjustment in the RAW converter.

The 3Mp are the best and surpass any 5/6 Mp P&S camera and can be used upto 8x12" prints without much processing (just the standard unsharpen mask in Photoshop: 0.8,100,0)

The rest has been said a thousand times, see pros & cons.

For the 1001st time: It is a specialty!!!

Oct 12, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add patrickwils to your Buddy List
tonno1970

Registered: Jan 13, 2005
Review Date: Oct 6, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $620.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: quality under all aspects
Cons:
The "well known"slow AF in low light condition

I purchased second hand in May 2004 for 620 euros. I don't know the real actuations number but I made about 8-9K pictures without any problem since then.
Even if I'm always thinking to upgrade, if you are not interested in large prints, there is not a real need to do it.
I like the feeling with it and when I'll upgrade I'll keep it for sure.
So I am very satisfied with it and the prices we see today in the Buy and Sell forum (3-400 USD) are very interesting and you can save money for good lenses!

Oct 6, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add tonno1970 to your Buddy List
bsoten

Registered: Jan 8, 2003
Review Date: Sep 5, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: My first DSLR and a great "starter" camera for me. Great image quality coming from a Sony F707. Also a great studio camera, and pretty good when the ambient light is good.
Cons:
It's ability to focus wasn't too hot in low light situations, like most other reviews have already noted.

I cut my teeth with this body. Bought it used, but it was in good shape.

I mainly used it in my studio, where it worked great when firing my studio lighting.

It also worked well with a 550EX mounted on it.

Where it left something to be desired was in low light events, that made it sometimes difficult to focus.

I made good money with the camera and was glad I got my hand on it. I later upgraded to the 10D.

There are better low end pro-comer dslr out there now, but the D30 was a good camera for it's day.

Sep 5, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add bsoten to your Buddy List
eyes

Registered: Oct 23, 2003
Review Date: Sep 4, 2005 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: works great. doesn't cost a fortune. this and some good glass is all you need to take great pictures.
Cons:
not great ISO performance compared to the latest dslrs (which cost $1,000 more)

the fact that this was the first dslr and that people are still posting positive remarks about this camera 5 years later lets you know that Canon did something right the first time.

if you have a chance to grab one and have $500, you can have a camera that will give you professional results for a fraction of what professionals are paying for the newest cameras.

as with any camera or lens, there is a learning curve. every camera and every lens has limitations that force you to adjust. once you understand this camera's limitations, it can produce top rate results.

Sep 4, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews View gallery Visit Homepage Add eyes to your Buddy List
Entropia

Registered: Jan 28, 2005
Review Date: Sep 2, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $500.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Silky smooth images at ISO 100, great image quality, used bodies cheap
Cons:
Terrible low-light AF with slow lenses, the built-in flash is really only an emergency backup if your main flash fails

I have had this body for nine months now and it has served me very well. If you know it inside-out and have atleast mediocre lenses, you can get superb results. The resolution, however, doesn't really grant you very big prints. It is an excellent body for a person who would like to get in touch with DSLR world for a small price. Don't be afraid of the low price or megapixel count, this camera will blow modern P&S compacts straight out of the water if it is used properly. If you, however, don't master it it will give you very bad results. Smile Many people (including me) still use it as their primary camera and there's nothing major why it should be upgraded to more modern body.

Sep 2, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Entropia to your Buddy List
ducati0000

Registered: Jul 24, 2005
Review Date: Aug 23, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Im very surprise at the quailty photos this camera takes,I myself concertrated on getting the best proven Canon lens on the market,mated with this 3.2MP 5 year old design camera the results was stunning.The price/quailty ratio for this body is the best on the use market.It feels perfect for medium size hands and the available settings is more than enough for my majority of photographers.
Cons:
slow AF in dark situations,LCD screen could be make abit sharper...absolutely done within price range..highly recommended..

For those starting up in the DSLR field this is a great camera period.The amount of features would be more than enough for the beginner to interminate shooters.Add a grip and a couple of good Canon lens you be ready for some serious photos.

Aug 23, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ducati0000 to your Buddy List
ristan

Registered: May 16, 2005
Review Date: May 17, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $700.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Serious camera for not a lot of bucks.
Cons:

If you are into photography and you want a decent camera but you don't have a the bank account of a professional get this camera! I bought mine for $700 a couple years ago on ebay and I never regreted doing so. I'm sure you could get one for even less now. As you probably know this is an SLR and it will take canon mount lenses. It has a decent sized image buffer so you can avoid the delay of waiting for each shot to go to the card. If you tweak the settings you can also get it to have little to no delay between button and shutter release.
Some may complain about "soft" images. If you read the DPreview.com report they explain that the camera has little to no internal sharpening algorithms so there is nothing wrong with the camera, it's just giving you more options. 3.11 megapixels is FINE for 8x10 prints. I've done quite a few at even larger sizes.

My largest issue with the camera is that the view finder is a little small and it's also a little bit inacurate. It seems to crop maybe a half or so degrees of the view on each side. I've gotten used to it and now I just compensate in my head. You should also be ware that there is no split focusing circle or any other focusing aids, so you either need to focus by eye or use the autofocus (I find autofocus to be unwholesome so this is a bit of a peav for me).

Again, overall though you can't beat this value!

May 17, 2005