Nikon 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G AF-S

29 67166 Oct 2, 2013
7.4
2141NCP_180

Wide to telephoto 3.5x zoom lens ideal for landscape, full-length portraits, travel and portrait photography

Exclusive newly designed Silent Wave Motor enables ultra-high-speed autofocusing with exceptional accuracy and powerful super-quiet operation

Compact size and high performance realized by new optical system including an aspherical lens and ED glass element

0.38m closest shooting distance

Rounded diaphragm (7 blades) for natural blur

M/A mode allows rapid switching between autofocus and manual-focus operation

Internal Focusing (IF) design for smoother focusing and great body balance

Flower-shaped Lens Hood HB-28 is provided

New Nikkor cosmetic design

Nikon D-type design provides precise distance information for flash and ambient light exposure processes

High-performance Nikon Super Integrated Coating offers superior color reproduction and minimizes ghost and flare

New G design enables apertures to be selected from select Nikon AF SLR camera bodies

Page:  1 · 2

JimDantin

Registered: Aug 26, 2004
Review Date: May 5, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Price, image quality, AF-S
Cons:
67mm filter size

This is my favorite lens when I'm walking around and don't want to carry a full backback. I'm particularly pleased with its performance close up. I like the AF-S functionality a lot.

I didn't like the oddball 67mm filter size and for digital bodies the lens hood is unnecessarily big. I came up with a very nice solution by buying a 67-77 step up ring and 77mm metal lens hood (search for seller name "heavystar" on eBay). The "Standard" size hood works without vignetting in a digital body (he also offers a "Wide" and "Tele" version -- I use the tele version on my 80-200 2.8)

Now I can use all my 77mm filters without trouble. Also, a Nikon 77mm pinch-style lens cap will fit quite nicely INSIDE the metal hoods.

May 5, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add JimDantin to your Buddy List
johnnymg

Registered: Mar 26, 2004
Review Date: Dec 4, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $300.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: fast focusing, decent zoom range, good resolution, color, and contrast.
Cons:
Slightly less contrasty than my 85mm F1.8 but that's really not surprising given that the 85mm can generate pro level image quality.

I use this lens with a D70 as my 'backpack' setup. This setup is cheap enough that I'm not too concerned about tossing it in a pack.
Note: This lens is pretty similar to the kit 18-70 in terms of overall image quality.

Mine is a mid 04 version. Reputed dust problem hasn't spoiled mine yet, but I've only been using it about 2 months. I'd rate the lens a 5 for value and a 4.5 overall.

Dec 4, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add johnnymg to your Buddy List
MoxieMike

Registered: Nov 17, 2002
Review Date: Oct 5, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $300.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Sharp! Sharp! Sharp! That and the AF-s makes it fast like a bunny.
Cons:
Dust! Dust! Dust! Tons of dust in my front element. And it was INCREDIBLY wobbly too. Had two samples, and gave up after the second one. Use the Sigma 24-70 f2.8 now.

The lens is sharp, light, and fast to focus. I used it alot as a walkaround lens and the 85mm length meant I didn't *need* to use my big Sigma 70-200 when I wanted that short tele reach. That said, the dust and build quality issues lead me to trade it in for a 12-24dx and 35mm prime. I recently found myself jonesing for a midrange zoom and thought about buying another, but went with the Sigma 24-70 f2.8 instead.

Oct 5, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add MoxieMike to your Buddy List
gogol

Registered: Aug 1, 2002
Review Date: Sep 17, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: very fast, silent autofocus, sharp, light, price, price...
Cons:
If I have to think of a negative point, I'd say, I don't like the odd 67mm filters....

This lens replaced a Sigma 24-135, which has a nice range, but it was way too soft and the build quality was not that good at all.

For me the AF-S Zoom-Nikkor 24-85 is the ideal 'walk-around' lens.

So far I didn't have any dust related problems - I hope it stays that way....

Sep 17, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add gogol to your Buddy List
tazo

Registered: Oct 11, 2003
Review Date: Jul 6, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 6

Pros: Quick to autofocus on D70, very light, decent price for AF-S zoom
Cons:
Zoom became stuck at certain focal lengths, build quality not so good, easy to get dust inside lens

This lens is a strong performer as a walkaround lens, although it is not really the range I use most for PJ-type work. The lens is nice and quiet, and very light when used with a Nikon D70. The lens seemed to focus very quickly compared to my non AF-S lenses.

One thing that occurred with my copy was the lens became stuck at certain focal lengths (35) and then began getting worse and started sticking at nearly every focal length (85, 75, 50, 35, and 24). This may have been a lemon lens or an inherent defect...

I liked this lens overall, as it is a bargain for the money (AF-S at under $400).

Jul 6, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add tazo to your Buddy List
Nikonart

Registered: Apr 12, 2004
Review Date: Apr 13, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $360.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: AF-S is swift and accurate. Image quality exceeds the consumer price of this lens. It's light and easy to carry around all day.
Cons:
For the price, none.

On a D100 or D70 this lens performs flawlessly. It's light and a very good starter lens.

Apr 13, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Nikonart to your Buddy List
skyview

Registered: Jan 3, 2004
Review Date: Mar 21, 2004 Recommend? no | Price paid: $430.00 | Rating: 4

Pros: Great range...excellent colors...super fast focus.
Cons:
Just not as sharp as I need and expect. Have the 18-35mm f3.5-4.5 which is great, the 24-86 f3.5-4.5 is not as sharp. Will antie up the dollars for the 28-70 f2.8

Had great expectations for this lens. Had used the the 18-35mm f3.5-4.5 and loved it, optics sharp. But in shooting over the last 10 days, images with this lens have great colors, but dont hold up when I zoom in and compare to either the 18-35mm f3.5-4.5 or my 80-200mm f2.8. So a return is planned and will reluctantly pay for the very highly rated 28-70mm f2.8.

Mar 21, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add skyview to your Buddy List
dkkruse

Registered: Sep 7, 2003
Review Date: Jan 1, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $360.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast and quiet focusing, sharp pictures, compact size, price
Cons:
Slight wobble in outer element when at full tele

I also use this with the D100 and it is the perfect general use lens. Getting filters can be tricky, but all you need for digital is a good skylight to protect the outer lens. The AF-S really spoils you. It is so silent and easy to override if you need to. I've dropped the camera/lens a couple of times, so I'm not sure if the outer element wobble (very slight) is my fault or not. I would not use this in the field because it looks like dust/dirt could get in. I've had good luck using this as a portrait lens as well.
If I had it to do over again, I may have gone with the 24-120 VR for the extra reach and VR, but saving $200+ dollars and the size is a decision you will have to make.

Jan 1, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dkkruse to your Buddy List
Nick H-P

Registered: Dec 3, 2002
Review Date: Jun 15, 2003 Recommend? no | Price paid: $300.00 | Rating: 2

Pros: Quick Focussing, Nice Pictures (Sharp, Good Colors)
Cons:
Build Quality, Build Quality, Build Quality

While the lens is nice, the ingress of dust is a severe problem. I got dust under the front lens element within a day of taking the lens out for use, and it went downhill from there - even cleaning the lens front element caused the problem to get worse. Took the lens back and won't touch another one.

Jun 15, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Nick H-P to your Buddy List
Eddieman

Registered: Mar 26, 2003
Review Date: May 30, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $325.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: AFS is smooth and fast to focus. Good color and sharp pics. Good combo with my D-100. Price Point is also good!
Cons:
The build is not as nice as my D's, but for the price it is a great value. If handle with care,the lense should be fine.

I recently sold my 24-120 and replaced with 24-85.My colors with my 24-120 seemed flat. I like the 24/85 combo better for my peraonal taste. The colors are more vibrant with the 24/85 I am shooting with a digital body,only .
(D-100)

May 30, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Eddieman to your Buddy List
blulegend

Registered: Mar 24, 2003
Review Date: Apr 6, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: AF-S is great for fast and accurate focus, full-time manual focusing, very sharp, not too heavy, excellent value
Cons:
Odd 67mm filter size, can be susceptible to dust, mild distortion

Used on a D100.

Some users have complained about focus creep, but mine is nice and tight and does not creep unless I'm running or something. Because of FOV crop on my D100, the best part of the lens is used. Great starting combo for the D100 and very versatile.

If purchased with certain Nikon bodies such as the D100, you can get $100 off in the form of a mail-in rebate at this time, otherwise only $50 off.

Apr 6, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add blulegend to your Buddy List
sammyc

Registered: Mar 27, 2002
Review Date: Mar 30, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $350.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: sharp wide open
Cons:
distortion

for the price, it is a wonderful mid range zoom. the autofocus is very very fast and accurate. it replaced my 24-120 and is much more sharp than that, but I am still disappointed by the f-stop speed of the lens.

Mar 30, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add sammyc to your Buddy List
dvirr

Registered: Mar 12, 2002
Location: Israel
Review Date: Mar 30, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $450.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: AF-S works great
Cons:
No VR...

My first lens for the D100, and I like it a lot.
Pretty light, and a very useful range.
The build quality is not top notch (but than again I wasn't expecting much more from a mid-price range zoom).
Other than that, I like the lens a lot.

Mar 30, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dvirr to your Buddy List

Nikon 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G AF-S