Nikon 24-85mm f/2.8-4D IF AF

20 90391 Jan 24, 2013
8.1
1929NCP_180

Wide to telephoto 3.5x zoom lens ideal for landscape, full length portraits, travel and portrait photographs

Maximum Reproduction Range (R:R) at 85mm is (1:2) Life Size

Filter attachment does not rotate during focusing or zooming

Fast f/2.8 maximum aperture at 24m setting is ideal for available light shooting or Slow/Rear flash sync techniques

Page:  1 · 2

jefflee

Registered: Feb 23, 2005
Review Date: Mar 16, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $500.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: fast 2.8 wide speed fast focus for none AFS useful 1:2 macro Very sharp at both ends at f2.8-4 - 32
Cons:
Non-AFS for TC compatibility Cost (for a non-pro lens

Have used this lens as my "normal" and find it very useful. I think that early production problems must have been eliminated from my sample and this seems confirmed on other reviews I've read on other sites.

This is a fast focusing lens (esp. for non-afs). While it is fairly large at 72mm, I've found that it is very, very sharp wide open. I don't shoot many shots where straignt lines are important so I can't speak to that issue. But as a "normal" lens it is a real winner. On my D70, its a 35 2.8 which is very useful indoors. When paired with the SB800 the indoor shots are nicely illuminated, outside the fill flash is great. Nice range with the 1.5 digital factor, though I wish it was a little wider.

Biggest surprize: the Micro/Macro setting is a real tool. This lens is not only sharp in the Micro/Macro setting, the lens will autofocus right up to several inches from the element. It works and works well. This is the main reason I got this lens over the G version.

I compared the sharpness of this lens with my 300 f4, and find it similar. If you are looking for a fasting focusing, fairly wide range, sharp lens with the ability to take reasonable closeups, I would recommend this lens. Currently has a $50 rebate I think (03/16/05).

Mar 16, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jefflee to your Buddy List
travist

Registered: Feb 24, 2004
Review Date: Feb 24, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $560.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Speed, fast focus, clarity, contrast.
Cons:
It's a bit bulky, the focus ring can be touchy. I've heard problems of bad lenses, though I couldn't be happier with mine.

I love this lens. It's a great all around lens for general use. It's quite sharp and fast. I've used it for a variety of shots and it seems to hold up really nicely under most circumstances. I would highly recommend this lens to anyone needing a great all around zoom.

It's the only lens I have on my d100 at the moment, and I don't feel constrained by it.

Feb 24, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add travist to your Buddy List
Unregistered
Review Date: Jun 22, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $530.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: 1. Offers a good working focal length range for a dSLR (D100) 2. Balances well with the D100 3. Very good, sharp image quality (from dSLR) 4. Non-rotating filter ring (not a big plus but nice) Has an aperture ring so can be used on many film SLR bodies (i.e.my n90s) if an older film SLR that needs a lens with an aperture ring is used alongside or in back-up to a dSLR or newer film SLR.
Cons:
1. Size is generous but it is not heavy 2. Finish is "plasticy" (but looks fine with D100) 3. Varible F stop (would rather have a constant f/2.8)

I bought this lens for my D100 at almost the same time as the camera. My focal length preference for 35mm film is a 35mm modest wide angle. My standard lens for my N90s is the 35-70mm f/2.8 and I wanted to come close to that coverage on the D100. I needed a 24-50 mm lens to give me that same coverage on the D100. I also make heavy use of wide apertures so f/2.8 was important. I did not feel I would be happy with the newer but slower G version (although the lack of the aperture ring on the G lens was not an issue). I did not need a longer telephoto end to the lens (the 85mm translates to about a 125mm coverage with the dSLR 1.5 cropping factor). I have used the lens extensively and am very happy with the results. There can be distortion at the wide end, as usual not a real factor for many pictures but noticable in others. The selective use of the image field by the D100 probably lessens the issue. This appears to be a popular lens for dSLR's. It was a bit hard to find in stock and was not "rebated". I rated it as "great" for use with a dSLR. I do not think I would have bought it however for a film SLR as I was (and am) very happy with the 35-70 f/2.8 (which really is a better lens) for 35mm film. All in all It was about the only offering Nikon had (has) that would fit my needs for the D100.

Jun 22, 2003
Edit/Delete Message
Unregistered
Review Date: May 17, 2003 Recommend? no | Price paid: $530.00 | Rating: 4

Pros: Quite solid and well built for a consumer lens. Excellent color and contrast. Good handling on F100. Wide range of focal lenghts. Bright viewfinder image when composing. Filter end immobile. Hood included. All-in-one, universal lens aspect.
Cons:
Lot of distortion. Low resolution wide open - medium at f/8. A bit too heavy and big. Scary looking with the hood on.

This lens will make You happy if You stick to the postcard sized pictures. The resolution is poor for my taste and I'm seriously thinking about replacing it with the new 24-120 AFS-VR Zoom, which I'm hoping will be on par with the much higher regarded 28-105/3.5-4 zoom or the 24-85/3.5-4 AFS zoom. This lens is only good for snapshots. I don't know wether it's a production or a design problem. It is not a popular lens, despite its qualities. People want sharp pictures and this one is not delivering.

May 17, 2003