Sigma 15mm f2.8 EX Diagonal Fisheye

36 166325 Sep 3, 2014
15mm_Lg_1_

This is a full-frame fisheye auto focus lens that fills entire 35mm negative with a full 180 degree diagonal field of view. This unique lens enables you to create a variety of unusual compositions even when shooting ordinary subjects. It accepts removable gelatin filters in a holder near the rear of the lens. The optical material used in this new lens are lead and arsenic free ecological glass.

Heechee

Registered: Dec 19, 2004
Review Date: Jun 22, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: Sharp in center and corners, wide angle, good for distorting stuff, depth-of-field scale on the lens, excellent multi-star highlights when stopped down
Cons:
Bad bokeh, focus ring in manual focus turns too easily, lens scratches easily

I use this lens mostly in manual focus, at f8 and above, manually focused to the hyperfocal distance. This works perfectly, except that the manual focus ring is a bit too loose and it's easy to turn it unintentionally.

My lens front focuses at close distances, and so far I've not yet got around to sending it for repairs as Sigma in Finland have only a non-Sigma representative. The f2.8 aperture is quite useless for me because I dislike the bokeh of this lens; in addition to the focus problem.

The focal length is relatively ok on 20D, however the 17-40L and this fisheye on a film body are a lot more *fun*.

If Canon made a fisheye similar to the Nikon 10.5mm, I'd buy it at once instead of this one.

Jun 22, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Heechee to your Buddy List
Rowdy

Registered: Oct 6, 2004
Review Date: Jun 17, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Good build quality feel, nice and wide perspective without pictures being too goofy-wide looking. Excellent price, colors are bright and pictures are very sharp.
Cons:
None found.

Bought it today and haven't found any negative issues with it, my first Sigma lens so I'll need to wait see how it is in the future. Wanted something wider than a Canon 17-40 or 18-55 for car pictures in tight parking lots. Great bang for the buck, it seems like a great value for my application, (Canon 20D).

Like I mentioned earlier, isn't TOO super-wide angle, (thanks to the 1.6 crop factor in the 20D's), some fisheye pictures can look really goofy sometimes in my eyes.

I highly recommend it if you want to go a little wider and have a fast lens, it's a prime so you will need to zoom with your feet, if you need something along these lines, I think you will be happy with it.

Cheers.

Jun 17, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Rowdy to your Buddy List
phidong

Registered: Feb 19, 2004
Review Date: Jun 10, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $315.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: fast focus, excellent build quality, affordable, comes with pouch
Cons:
if i had to say one thing, it's the double lens cap (theres a cap and a ring, canon just has a cover that is one piece, the sigma is two)

This is an excellent lens. The quality, colors, etc. rival the Canon in every way and the price shatters the competition. It is significantly cheaper than the Canon equivalent, but the performance is on par or better. On a 1.6x crop body, there is still some distortion, but not a lot.

If you want a full fisheye effect, the 8mm is the way to go, but I like the look of the 15mm. Everything about this lens is a winner.

Jun 10, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add phidong to your Buddy List
paparazzinick

Registered: Jan 8, 2005
Review Date: May 9, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $320.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: very wide on full frame and decently wide on 1.6x crop. fast focus on good to moderate light. colors aer awesome in pics.
Cons:
slow focus in low light, but still usable... not tack sharp, a little disapppointing for a prime, but still pretty sharp when compaired to other lenses.

I got this lens because I needed some something a little wider than the canon 17-40L I was using and also something a little faster. I found this lens and couldn't pass it up for the price. I gained an extra stop over the 17-40's f4. But the only draw back is that it is not as sharp. But I am just very picky with sharpness.

On a scale from 1-10 and 10 is the highest, the canon 17-40 would be a 10 (atleast my copy was anyways) and the Sigma 15 fish is about a 9. So it is not that much of a loss. Where it makes up for the softness is with colors. WOW. just as good as a canon L lens.

When I got the lens in the mail I went out for an hour or two and took a bunch of shots. All of which were rich in color and very bright. No dull colors that I used to experiance with other Sigma lenses.

This lens is a good addition for my wedding work I do, very nice lens for special effects on a full frame body and good for wide group shots on a 1.6x.

I used this on a 1dmkII and it was incredible. I was very amazed with the fish effect. On a 20d with a 1.6x crop, it still had some fish effect, but not as much and can easily be defished.

So, if you have a full frame body and need a fish or have a 1.6x crop and need a wider lens, this is the way to go if you dont have the money for a canon L. WOrth evey penny spent on it, if not more.

The build is strong and could take a beating, so dont worry about a weak build as with some sigmas you have to worry.

May 9, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add paparazzinick to your Buddy List
Daniel Buck

Registered: Jan 12, 2004
Review Date: May 5, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $480.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build quality, open aperture of f2.8 (and very usable at f2.8 in low-light!)
Cons:
None that I have found, it has exceeded my expectations!

When I first opened up the package, I was suprised to see how small the lens is! It's much smaller than the 12-24mm Sigma, I knew it was going to be a bit smaller, but I was pleased to find that it's quite a bit smaller! I'll post up a size comparison later.

Build quality: Very nice! So far I have owned two Sigma EX lenses (this, and the 12-24mm) and I am very pleased with the quality thus far! The focus ring is nice and smooth, easy to turn but not loose feeling. The lens itself feels very solid, right down to the metal lens hood (perminantly attached). A nice semi-soft case was included as well, thumbs up to Sigma for that!

The auto-focus is not super fast, but it locks on target with no problems, and does not hunt at all before it locks. Just zips right to focus. It's tad bit loud (a small whine sound), but nothing that would draw to much attention or get anoying.

Image quality: I won't do any formal tests or anything, but so far from the images I have shot the quality of the glass and aperture blades seems to be great! I shot a few closer shots at f2.8 (wide open) and the image was nice and sharp! The background blur was smooth and did not look ugly or disspleasing. (Bokeh is only noticable when shooting close-up objects) I didn't notice any chromatic abberations or other anomalies (aside from the obvious fisheye distortion! ). I am very pleased to see that this lens can be used wide open with out fear of a horribly soft image. Much much better than the 12-24!

This lens is quite fun to shoot with! Depending on how you angle the lens, the fisheye effect can be very noticable, or it can be hardly noticable. This lens is definantly not an *every day* lens because the fisheye effect can probably get boring & over-used pretty quick, but I'm sure that it will see quite a bit of use for those times when a good *fishy* shot is needed or when I just need to crack a smile on my face

I put the lens on my film body (EOS-1) and the fisheye effect is quite a bit more dramatic than on my 1.3 crop 1D. The fisheye effect is still very much prevailant on 1.3 crop though, no doubt about it. Anyone with a x1.6 crop camera will not notice quite as much fisheye effect, but I'll bet it's still there real good on x1.6 as well.

May 5, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Daniel Buck to your Buddy List
jbd1

Registered: Feb 27, 2004
Review Date: Jan 22, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $300.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Great for wide angle on a 1.6x crop camera on a budget. Very sharp, corner to corner. Excellent build quality. Easy to defish or leave effect.
Cons:
Can be difficult to autofocus in low light conditions.

I no longer use the 18-55mm EF kit lens as a result of this fisheye lens. Very versatile and very sharp. Very close focusing ability. Small and unobtrusive.

Jan 22, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jbd1 to your Buddy List
MarkSaperstein

Registered: Sep 23, 2003
Review Date: Dec 27, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $330.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: very solid build, very solid optics
Cons:
at this price, none

The Sigma 15mm fisheye is a terrific lens. It is sharper than the Canon fisheye at most apertures (except f/2.8), and controls CA better than the Canon.

Dec 27, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add MarkSaperstein to your Buddy List
Nikonguy

Registered: Dec 22, 2004
Review Date: Dec 23, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $339.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great price,performance,lens cap......
Cons:
None so far after 3 years using it!

Got this lens from Smile Photo almost 3 years ago and this lens is A+ for the money. TACK sharp even at 2.8, great for indoors and exagerating perspective when used on digital bodies with lens factor. HSM is great but I personally don't think it is necessary since there is so little to focus at this focal lenght. I don't agree with the previous post complaining about the lens cap. This cap design is a great feature and it is also included in the 14mm F/2.8 which I also own (that's why I turned down Tamron's 14mm and don't regret it). The design of the cap is a great protection for the glass (on or off your camera), remember, you bump this lens on the hood and the impact will end up on the front element. So, the way it is, is the way it should be; I think the big guys Canon and Nikon should copy this. Try some shots using the lens cap holder on the lens and you'll get great special effects, almost like the one created (black circle) by the 8mm full frame version when used on my F5 or your Canon film camera. Recently in a workshop a friend of mine saw it and inmediately ordered in Canon mount. He's also very pleased with it.

In weddings this lens will create images when used accordingly to the situation that will impact your clients. When used on film cameras, beware of your own feet and belly are not on the frame, especially in vertical shots. Got also the Sigma 300mm F/2.8 and very pleased with it. Its hood comes in a velvety finish which in my opinion absorbs stray light that might hit the HUGE front element. Looking forward to get the 20mm 1.8 also from Sigma. Overall, I'm very satisfied with Sigma's EX series. Don't leave home without one of these fisheye lenses!

These shots were taken with the fisheye on a nikon D-100, the lens gives great color and contrast rendition with almost polarized light although a polarizer can't be used.

These ones with the sigma 300mm F/2.8 manual F/5.6 @ 1/500sec on a D-100 ISO 200. Drop-in polarizer used. Photos were taken at the Corona & Oakley Surf Contest in Isabela, Puerto Rico.

Dec 23, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Nikonguy to your Buddy List
sippinsoma

Registered: Aug 23, 2004
Review Date: Oct 24, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very, very sharp. Great perspective on a 1.6x crop. Makes beautiful arcs on horizons.
Cons:
Version I had was not the one pictured with the silver ring. It had the gold ring and was much larger. Very disappointed to get the hefty version.

The only sigma lens I have ever truly enjoyed.

Oct 24, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add sippinsoma to your Buddy List
trsqr

Registered: Dec 24, 2002
Review Date: Sep 3, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $320.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Price, build quality, sharpness, AF, minimal flare
Cons:
Lens cap design

This fisheye lens is the other 15mm fisheye for Canon EF system. Canon has a similar lens as well. When I bought my Sigma, I chose it over the Canon because of the price. After the purchase I have tested the Canon as well, and would still choose the Sigma.

With a 1.6x digital crop factor the fisheye effect is not so strong. You can even take photos, which cannot be recognized as fisheye shots! Of course there is a way to digitally "defish" the images with tools such as PanoramaTools or similar.

Because of the lens design, the lens cap is little awkward to use. It is also so big, that it cannot be comfortably slid to any pocket.

Sep 3, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add trsqr to your Buddy List
damandit9999

Registered: Jul 30, 2004
Review Date: Aug 30, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Excellent optics: sharp, quick focusing, flare control. Good built and finish. Not expensive.
Cons:
Fisheye distortion means composition challenge. You can defish, but unless if properly level then it's ugly and disorienting.

Aug 30, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add damandit9999 to your Buddy List
jaapv

Registered: Jun 9, 2004
Review Date: Jul 12, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $450.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build quality, good optics, nice price
Cons:
??

It will take front-filters on the D10 if you leave the sleeve on. Vignetting is minimal, and in keeping with the fisheye character of the lens. When you de-fish, it will disappear totally, of course. The lens is very sharp, good contrast and a joy to handle. I've never used the Canon equivalent, but it is hard to see what the extra $$$ would add. I never had the problems that jkantor had on my D10.

Jul 12, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jaapv to your Buddy List
jkantor

Registered: Mar 1, 2002
Review Date: Jun 9, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $379.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Solidly built. Very sharp (if you can focus it).
Cons:
Very slow when moving focus from near to far. Can only use via zone focus on my two 10Ds.

I've used this for several weddings now. I love the angle of view it gives me on my 10D and the fisheye effect on my EOS3. However, I noticed many of my pictures were very blurry even though I was using decent shutter speeds and one-shot autofocus mode. Did some test shots and found it would not focus consistently on my 10Ds (two). Seems to focus a bit better on my EOS3.

Sent it back for repair: returned with note saying "focus adjusted" - same problem.

Sent it back again. Sent me a new lens. Same problem.

Verdict: unusable on my 10Ds except with zone focusing (since it's also impossible to accurately focus it manually). I now use it for close-in action shots at the reception, so I just set it to 1m and get good shots, even at 2.8.

It is an incredibly sharp lens. It's just too bad you can't focus it!

Jun 9, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jkantor to your Buddy List
Nikonart

Registered: Apr 12, 2004
Review Date: Apr 29, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $380.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Build Quality - Excellent Optics - Great Price
Cons:
Fish Distortion?

There are other super-wide alternatives out there, but none deliver the overall "value" this little gem provides. It's small enough to carry in the bag if needed. It's f/2.8 bright and the AF works very well on D100 and D70. It's quite sharp at close range, but at the infinity setting, the lens produced somewhat softer images. Flare or ghosting was not an issue for such wide glass either.

Remember, it' a fish, so you must use the 22.5mm [135] wisely. It can render dramatic images if shots are carefully composed.

Apr 29, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Nikonart to your Buddy List
CarlosChacon

Registered: Feb 2, 2004
Location: Costa Rica
Review Date: Feb 24, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $339.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Tack sharp, works very smoothly on the 10D (and the fishy look is not drastic on it), it goes extremely wide with little degradation on the edges, images look very sharp even after defishing, nicely built.
Cons:
Unable to take filters on the front, you really need to look where you are aiming, and how close you are, otherwise you might damage the lens by bumping it into something.

I received the lens last Thursday and even though I have not been able to test it extensively, I have done enough to convince myself that this is a really good investment if you need to go wide, with good quality and without breaking the bank.

The lens has a very professional feel to it, it is small and easy to handle. The petal hood really helps, as the bulbous front element might be damaged easily otherwise. As others have said, it just looks too cool on the camera.

I have done some torture testing and found that even wide open the flare is well controlled, and the CA is mimimal on most cases. Color rendition is very good on mine. The images come out with very lively color and excellent contrast.

If you do not have one yet, I really recommend you to try it.

Feb 24, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add CarlosChacon to your Buddy List
montespluga

Registered: Mar 27, 2003
Review Date: Jan 21, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: very good lens, sharp
Cons:
None that I could found

After intensiv testing Canon's and Sigma's fish - in diffrent light situations - I went for the Sigma, as it showed better results on a 10 D. CA was bigger on the Canons fish, the Sigma has it too, but less expressed. CA depends much on light situation, but I'm not really able to tell when CA will occure. As this is my first and only Sigma lens - and I will not go for other ones, I was positivly surprised. Even after defishing, some 30/20 cm/300dpi files look good.

My others: 17-40, 50 mm macro, 100 mm macro.

Jan 21, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add montespluga to your Buddy List

Sigma 15mm f2.8 EX Diagonal Fisheye