Nikon D100

Page:  1 · 2
Stripper

Registered: Dec 11, 2002
Review Date: Apr 14, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,999.95 | Rating: 8

Pros: Image quality and lack of defalut in-camera corrections: Battery life: Intuitive menus and controls:
Cons:
Small, dark viewfinder: Lack of ISO-100: Lack of fast flash sync:

My problems with this camera all stem from the fact that I came from the F series of Nikons. The D-100 was never touted as a professional camera, and it is not. The negatives I listed above are a factor to at least some extent in all of the "Prosumer" DSLRs. If you buy any of these cameras, you should not expect a pro level camera.

Having said that, I must say that I really like the D-100. I use it with studio strobes to take pictures of small, intricate machines, and my customers have been very happy with the results in litho print and in photo print. Several posters above have made mention of noise, but coming from the film world, I have had no problems with noise, even when blowing these studio shots up to 12x18.

I have also used it extensively for architectural, and landscape photography where it has also performed quite well. There have been complaints about chronic under-exposure with this camera, and I have found that, as with my film cameras, proper exposure, especially in difficult situations, takes some getting used to. The camera does have its quirks, and one of them seems to be that Nikon doesn't ever want to blow out highlights. Just remember that exposures on a digital camera should be thought of as like those on transparency film as opposed to negative film. If you blow out the highlights, you can't get them back. I use the histogram feature on the review screen extensively, and rarely have exposure problems.

I think that the D-100 performs superbly in low light. Most low light work I do is concerts, or other low light "people pictures". I routinely use ISO 1600 (like the photo in the link below), or higher and achieve good results. Again, the low light auto-focus is very good, but not as good as in the pro series of Nikons, but I tend to use manual focus in these situations quite a bit. Low light photography is where I would really like a pro viewfinder.

I do not do a lot of sports or action photography, but I have done some with the D-100. I have been pretty happy with the results (see the link below), but I am not completely happy with the ability of the camera to follow a moving object in "continuous auto-focus" mode. It is not that this mode does not work, it does. It is just that I know that the pro series of bodies work so much better. If you are an action photographer and want to get the highest yield of keepers, spend the extra money and get a pro body. If not, you can get superb results with the D-100.

I would say that the aspect of this camera, which really took some getting used to, was using the TTL flash. I have an SB-80-DX, which is a excellent unit, with plenty of power. My first efforts with TTL flash with the D-100/SB-80 unit were less than perfect. Again, as I began to use the histogram function, and began to anticipate issues in the scene I was facing, which might fool the TTL metering, I began to achieve better results, and now I am quite happy with the combination.

One thing I would say to someone who was thinking of the purchase of any DSLR, but the D-100 in particular, is that it seems that you get much better results with good lenses. On my film cameras, I could notice the difference in color and sharpness between lenses, but on the digital body, the difference is startling. Start out with the best glass and avoid the disappointments. You will be poorer, but more happy in the end.

In conclusion, I would say that a potential buyer should realize that the D-100, or any other DSLR is not a point and shoot camera. Hopefully you are buying a camera like this because you are sick of the difficulties of achieving control over your photography with a point and shoot. There are probably "prosumer" DSLRs, which come closer to giving point-and-shoot results than the D-100, but if you are looking for a photographic tool at a "prosumer" price, I think you will not be disappointed with the D-100. However, if you need a workhorse pro camera, and need to rely on it as your main tool to produce income, you might want to look at a pro body.

Apr 14, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Stripper to your Buddy List
JimS

Registered: Jan 19, 2003
Review Date: Apr 8, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,995.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: It's a Nikon! Good construction, 6 megapixels, easy access to most control features.
Cons:
Sluggish autofocus, a buffer that should have been at least twice as large, no external synch connection, have to buy the battery holder/recorder if you want a 10 pin terminal.

I've really enjoyed this camera a lot in the five months I've owned it. I knew when I bought it I wouldn't be able to work with it in the same way as my F5's, in fact, using it reminds me more of the old days when I used to shoot with a Contax RTS. With the D100, I find myself manually focusing most of the time, and really thinking through when I want to depress the shutter since I have only three or four quick shots at best before it's going to need a buffer break. All that whining aside, the D100 takes great pictures....and that my friends is what a camera is supposed to do.

Really, really petty complaint department: $2000 camera and they can't throw in a hot shoe cover? I suppose no one at Nikon has ever spent an hour at the end of the day cleaning bird poop out of their hot shoe with a toothbrush.

Apr 8, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add JimS to your Buddy List
hick53

Registered: Aug 17, 2002
Review Date: Apr 7, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,995.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Ease of use. Great quality...resolution, color, low noise. Easy learning curve. Excellent battery life. Fast recording on CF cards.
Cons:
Low light auto focus can be problematic but has not been a big problem.

I am very pleased with this camera. I have been using film cameras for 30 years. I have been studying and comparing digital cameras for over a year before deciding the D100 was the best combination of price and quality. I agree the D100 is probably not quite as rugged and well sealed as the D1x, but unless you are really that rough on a camera, the price difference is not worthwhile. I have been very pleased with the build quality. I do not share the complaints I have seen from others regarding high noise and lack of sharpness. All digital cameras have noise and all digital captures require post processing including sharpening. The noise from this camera is easily controlled with the Fred Miranda noise reduction action for the D100. I shoot everything in RAW format. RAW adjusts and sharpens beautifully in Photoshop using Adobe Camera Raw to read the NEF file. I have completely abandoned film for digital. I traded all my film based 35mm and medium format gear to purchase this camera. Highly recommended.

Apr 7, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add hick53 to your Buddy List
blulegend

Registered: Mar 24, 2003
Review Date: Apr 6, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: New lower price, instant on, fast image review, superb low-light focus, good eye-point, unique manual feel, comfortable in hand, great ergonomics, format without going into menus, viewfinder grid, LCD cover, good ISO range, solid build, super-long battery life, excellent viewfinder information
Cons:
Image noise only acceptable, dust prone, bad compressed NEF, bad NEF buffer, no ISO 100, focus tracking is average, RAW software not included, images not as sharp as competition

I've compared this camera extensively for my usage against the new Caon 10D for 2 weeks now and I've finally decided on the D100. Although the Canon quality glass with USM/IS is cheaper than Nikon equivalents, the fact that I feel the 10D's image are more usable out of the camera in JPEG, the D100 eventually won me over. I like the fact that Nikon lenses also include the hood whereas with Canon this needs to be ordered in addition to the lens. The D100 brought out the shooter in me. It is very comfortable to hold for long periods of time, starts up instantly for those Kodak moments, never failed to focus when expected to, and overall gives me a more well-rounded photography experience. I have moved up to D-SLRs from a CP880 to a CP995 to a G2 and then to a G3. Maybe because I'm new to D-SLR shooting, but that's okay. The D100 to me is a very reliable and excellent choice. Definitely do not go by anyone's review alone, try your camera before you commit.

Apr 6, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add blulegend to your Buddy List
Boka

Registered: Jul 22, 2002
Location: Brazil
Review Date: Apr 2, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Resolution, commands, speed
Cons:
USB 1.0, price to brazilian people like me

I love photography since I was a teenager. Now, Iím 30 and still loving it. A year ago, when I was on vacation in NY, me and Daschund spent a part of a Saturday evening discussing about digital photography, something absolutely new for me. At that time I havenít had any contact with this new world. Some months after that, he called me asking if I knew someone interested to buy his Coolpix 5000. Iím became crazy. Made a search thru the Internet and find out that could be a great opportunity. And I bought my first digital camera.

In January I was happy with my Coolpix, but it couldnít do all I wanted. So I sold it here in Brazil, making a really great deal. Talking again with Daschund, we decided to change our plans. He wanted to buy a 14n (now he has a Mamiya and a digital back!!! LOL), and I bought his D100, and 2 lenses: a Sigma 28-135 and a Nikon 18-35.

Well, guys, I can tell you Iím completely happy. What a wonderful camera. D100 has a great resolution, allowing you to print in large formats. Itís easy to use. All commands are under your fingertips and is very ready-to-use camera. Just turn it on and shoot! Yes, I know, it has a few ďproblemsĒ, but the D100 is still a great camera. Now I can say I have a great gear. I just only have to learn how to take great pictures. :D

Apr 2, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Boka to your Buddy List

Nikon D100