81 91866 Jul 1, 2010
1D

Sensor: 4.15 megapixels
Max resolution: 2496 x 1662 (Canon RAW format)
Lens conversion factor: 1.3x
Focus: 45-point Area AF w. One-Shot AF, AI Servo AF, and Manual Focus
Exposure: Program, Shutter Priority, Aperture Priority, Depth-of-Field, E-TTL Flash, Manual
ISO Range: Equivalent to ISO 200-1600 (in 1/3 stop increments)
Max burst rate: 8 fps for 21 shots in Large/Fine
Magnesium alloy chassis
"Most extensively (weather)protected camera in its class"

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6  next

GOVA

Registered: Nov 23, 2002
Review Date: Jul 1, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Superb image quality Build quality Very good autofocus system. 8fps. 4MP 1.3 FOV. Good focusing screens for manual.
Cons:
Short battery life in comparison to modern DSLRs.

I actually re-purchased the 1D after selling the first one. When I did realize that it was not possible to match 1D's image quality with any other camera, I had to buy it back.

There is something extraordinary about the sensor of 1D. When properly exposed the image looks just fantastic. Its high ISO performance isn't that bad either given its age.

I do have several 20"x30" prints from good shots. When I tell people that those are from 4MP sensor, they think I am nuts.

In any case, current used prices make this body one of the best deals around.

1.3 fov sensor is kind of a sweet spot for me. It helps with telephotos, and does not kill wide angle very much (unlike 1.6x)

And yes, it does expose the photographer's technical skills.

Jul 1, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add GOVA to your Buddy List
emandavi

Registered: Feb 15, 2005
Review Date: Nov 24, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: fast, accurate focus. I use this for weddings, inside dark churches, because it focuses faster and more acurately than the Canon 8 - 10 megapixel pro-sumer cameras.
Cons:

If you know how to expose properly, and use Photoshop, you'll be able to blow the images up to size 20x30 - easily! See some wedding photos taken with this, which I've been able to enlarge to 16x20 or 20x30 without any problems here:

Nov 24, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add emandavi to your Buddy List
Manuel Barrera

Registered: Sep 28, 2006
Review Date: Nov 24, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: 4.1 mp, most images are not for print so the 4.1 is more than sufficient for web posting, Fast, weather sealed, beautiful colors, sharpens better then any of my other cameras. Have the camera for about 4 years.
Cons:
Used to think battery, but with a Lenmar battery getting over 700 shots, still takes a while to properly charge the battery

My favorite camera to use when not doing large printing or macros

Nov 24, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Manuel Barrera to your Buddy List
fusionphoto

Registered: Apr 16, 2005
Review Date: Aug 28, 2009 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Quick, great AF and cheap
Cons:
Battery. 400 shots max.

Have been using this camera for a while now and I love it. The AF is superb and the file size is just enough for my laptop to work with and still get excellent images. Overexposure by 1/3 stop seems to work well for me as the camera does not like underexposure. Planning on picking up another one of these when I can find a good one. Obsolete it may be but it still gives great pictures if you use it properly and understand its limitation. Cropping in camera makes me think as there is little room for PP cropping if you want to maintain full quality images. I would recommend this camera to a friend... 9/10 for performance and picture quality 10/10 for todays prices... Get one.

Aug 28, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add fusionphoto to your Buddy List
brucemuir

Registered: Dec 23, 2008
Review Date: Mar 14, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $460.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: great value these days, build quality, FPS rate, AF, Image Quality
Cons:
Battery Life, green cast without custom curve loaded, clunky software for loading Personal Settings & Custom WB/Curves

Great camera for 500.00 bux these days.

Don't let the 4.1 mp scare you off because you can still get excellent enlargements with proper PP and exposure.

The software is clunky so compatibility can be an issue. Couldn't load curves on a Mac.

I finally was able to load some custom curves windows with an add on firewire card) to fix the jpg output because I use this for event work where the filesizes are perfect and I need to output a BUNCH of images with minimal tweaking.

Overall great value and you can shoot up to about ISO 1250 without too much trouble.

Mar 14, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add brucemuir to your Buddy List
Jay Taft

Registered: Dec 28, 2004
Review Date: Feb 22, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $600.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Solid high quality body, fast fps, low price, great IQ.
Cons:
None yet in my experience.

I had been using a 40D for birds in flight and other wildlife photos. It was pretty good for this purpose, but I wanted to move away from the 1.6x sensor since I sold all my lenses designed specifically for it in favor of ff lenses I could use on my 5D. Never being able to afford a 1d-series, I decided to try the original 1D with prices being so low. Found an excellent copy here on FM with about 5000 clicks and all the accessories for $600. No disappointments so far. The battery life is not a problem for me at this price point.

I took it to Florida last fall for birds and general landscape photography. It performed beautifully and exceeded my expectations. With the 4mp CCD sensor there isn't much extra capacity for cropping, so it is always good to fill the frame. I also usually keep the light up by over-exposing the meter by 1/3 stop. The 1D does a great job, and makes me eager to move up to a newer body in the series, perhaps a MK IIn someday when those prices come down.

The 1D is highly recommended for those who want fast fps, solid construction, and high image quality at a very reasonable price.

Feb 22, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Jay Taft to your Buddy List
avi monin

Registered: Mar 14, 2007
Review Date: Feb 20, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Quick, built like a tank.
Cons:
too noisy at high ISO and long exposures, battery life isent amazing but still good for about 400 shots.

Not much to say since everybody hit all the good points, it really is great camera for the money, unless your doing alot of high iso shots and you want to print pretty large, or if your going to do alot of long exposures, but other than those 2 areas, the camera can handle almost anything!!

Feb 20, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add avi monin to your Buddy List
fusionphoto

Registered: Apr 16, 2005
Review Date: Feb 10, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Speed, image quality for a Low MP camera is amazing. Solid build and weather sealing.
Cons:
Uses lots of battery power.

I have wanted one of these cameras for ages and finally found an excellent un battered sample for me to play with. The feel of quality in this camera is outstanding and the quality of the images it produces are great considering it is only 4.8MP.
The gatlling gun speed of the drive is a sound to be mavelled at but used wisely as it fills the buffer quite quickly. Buffer speed is OK but slower than some newer cameras. This will be used as a backup to my 1Ds and for street photography.

The images are sharp and clean and the exposure system and AF are second to none. I do not regret this purchase even though some would consider this machine obsolete. Try one and you will see its an ace picture machine.

Feb 10, 2009
joezasada

Registered: Feb 24, 2005
Review Date: Jan 16, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $800.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: fast and near-perfect AF. weather sealed. Excellent image quality.
Cons:
eats battery power in a major way.

The trailblazing Canon 1D is, by Moore's law, and any other reasonable measure, an obsolete dinosaur.

However

Even today, there is something still magical about this body. Even though it only produces 4 MP images.... those 4 MP images are excellent. The low pixel density means you get sharp images, with no fuss!

The RAW files it produces clean up very nicely in modern RAW conversion software - so noise isn't as big of an issue anymore.

The thing that makes it a real winner is the low price on the used market - amateurs can now afford a camera that will really help them when shooting sports. A classic 1D will still outperform any rebel, 10/20/30/40/50D, or either of the 5D bodies, for AF on fast moving objects needed in sports photography. The 8 fps frame rate is also a wonderful help...

So, if you're an amateur shooter, and you've got a few hundred dollars to spare, grab yourself a used 1D and be confident that this old workhorse will keep you riding!

Jan 16, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add joezasada to your Buddy List
Stuart Bell

Registered: Feb 10, 2005
Review Date: Jan 10, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Build quality, AF system, 8 fps, 1.25 crop ratio, lovely images, small RAW files
Cons:
Limited rear LCD, short battery life (but not THAT bad!), weight,

People have said it all before. Throw a really nasty job at it - say inside 5 a side soccer, fast action, poor light, and the AF system produces results that only the 1-series can give. You can't crop too much with a 4Mp sensor, and you wouldn't use it for landscapes, but just look at the prices these days. And you can use early unchippable Sigma primes.

Jan 10, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Stuart Bell to your Buddy List
lwrnclightner

Registered: Oct 2, 2008
Review Date: Nov 7, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $625.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Strong af, Excellent color saturation, contrast and clarity.
Cons:
battery life, everything else doesnt matter after I see how it performs.

These old T-Rex's are a joy to shoot with. I have two of em! I moved from 10d to 20d to 1d. When I switched from 10d to 20d the files just had a blah appeal to them. Don't get me wrong, they are good but they just dont have that same effect the 10d and the 1d have. I am at awe that 4mp and 7yr technology are giving me these qualities. I am a raw shooter and now that I am getting these machines tweaked to my liking, I can see my self shooting jpeg a lot more, the files out of cam are smokin. I can play with them to spice em up a little, and that is only in tricky lighting.

The noise at high iso is there, but if I over expose it aint much, and its a much different noise then the 20d.

I wont even mention auto focus. It is that good. I will say that it bought my lack luster 24-70L that had been calibrated none the less to LIFE! I was going to trade it or sell it to get the 35L. Not now, I will keep it and get the 35L in addition to it to round out my natural low light set ups.

I dont even pay attention to the small lcd, short battery, or any other short comings due to its age when I start downloading its files.

I know the II, IIn and III are much better in all areas, but man am I glad I decided to try the 1d as my intro to the 1d league. Put it this way, when I can move up in class it will only be to get better high iso performance, but I assure you I will still have my two 1d's for when the light is good!

Nov 7, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add lwrnclightner to your Buddy List
zabeth72

Registered: Jan 13, 2008
Review Date: Sep 12, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: teh stability and build quality fantastic small sized raws
Cons:
white balance could be better

i just love the small raw files it produces.
Noise is not a problem at all especially for everyday snaps and 8x10's.

the 24-105 and the 70-200 f4 and the 85 1.2 II all perform extremely well.

The new technologies from new printers, computers, and new faster cf cards, and softwares like lightroom have indirectly improved the performance of this beautiful machine.

The great print quality of new ink jet printers does a remarkable job on the files.
New CF cards improved the burst rate considerably even for Raws.
lightroom make short work of the tif raw files and make dealing with the picture rotation a breeze.
Even lightroom's noise reduction gets rid of most of the noise.

For my uses where i only print up to 11x17 99% of the time, the small raw files are simply perfect.

highly recomended

Sep 12, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add zabeth72 to your Buddy List
LotsToLearn

Registered: Jan 12, 2006
Review Date: Sep 10, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build, speed, file size.
Cons:
Battery life, LCD quality, lack of auto image orientation.

This is still an outstanding camera given it's age.

I bought my 1D shortly after I bought and fell in love with my first 1 series, the 1DIIN. I wanted another 1 series but wasn't able to spend similar money again on another more recent 1 series and I also wanted to evaluate the 1D's images firsthand after reading so many glowing reviews on it. Everything people say about it's image quality is right on. Exceptionally detailed images with good colours. I haven't been concerned with high ISO noise as long as the images are properly exposed. Any noise there is is manageable.

Relative to today's technology, the only real things that bother me about the 1D are the battery life, the LCD size/quality, and lack of image orientation. But even those aren't enough to detract from it's overall value to me. Apart from those, none of its supposed other issues impact me.

This has become my 'casual' use camera. When I'm not going out on a pre-determined shoot with my IIN, I like to carry this camera since it produces very manageable file sizes and performs exceptionally well.

Sep 10, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add LotsToLearn to your Buddy List
Zander Alberts

Registered: Dec 24, 2007
Review Date: Aug 5, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: AF, handling, fps, viewfinder, built in vertical grip, CFs, file size, great IQ, create folders in camera, 1/16,000 shutter, 1/500 flash sync, price/performance ratio.
Cons:
Battery life, noise at high ISOs, file size, no image playback zoom.

This is a true piece of engineering that deserves the 1 series label. For the prices these are going for, they are truly a bargain. The AF performance is simply top notch and is incredibly fast and accurate even in very low light and contrast situations. The weight is definately something to get used to, especially when it's coupled with a telephoto lens, but it is very nice feeling in the hands and inspires a sort of confidence I never got with my 20D.

The high ISO noise is definately there, but with a good NR program, the files clean up very well, reatining a good amount of detail. The 8 fps is simply amazing, I nearly dropped the camera when I first heard it. The lack of LCD zoom and mediocre battery life are only inconveniences, not reasons to not get this camera. For the prices these are going for, there should be nothing stopping you from getting one. After some more testing I will post an updated review.

For now, the verdict is: buy one now!!!

Aug 5, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Zander Alberts to your Buddy List
Per Zangenberg

Registered: Jan 17, 2007
Review Date: Aug 4, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $700.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Build, feel, fps, focus system, IQ, good,high ISO, small RAW files (allthough this is also a minus), FOCUS!
Cons:
Low resolution, batteries only good for 300-500 shots, screen, no preview zoom.

I have been shooting 5D for some time now and love it. But then I tried a friends 1D mkII and instantly fell in love. 1D's are very cheap now, but this is still an absolutely awesome camera! The focus is so much faster and more presice than on 5D and the 45 AF points are awesome! I have printet A4 size and they look great. The 4+MP just does not allow much cropping if you want to print.

I really dont understand the negatives about the ISO noise??? Having a 5D I actually was very impressed with ISO 800-1600 shots from 1D. For what I shot (events, PJ, weddings) I would not worry about using ISO 1600 if needed.

The only problem now, is that I want to get a newer 1D with more resolution. I am thinking of eventually getting an 1Ds mkII perhaps because that has the build and focus of the 1D combined with the high res fullframe sensor.

Aug 4, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Per Zangenberg to your Buddy List
Annapurna

Registered: Dec 29, 2004
Review Date: Jul 21, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Build quality. Ergonomics. Fast startup, writing and shooting
Cons:
Short battery life. Not so good high ISO value

I think I was lucky to get the camera so cheap.
To me the EOS 1D lies perfect in my hand. I can easyli hold it still compared to my EOS 10D. The interface is quiet similar to the Canon T90 which i allways wanted to be digital.
I now donīt want to go back to the EOS 10D, but perhaps I have to because of the low batterycapacity and the not so good high IS0 performance. I look forward to use it.

Jul 21, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Annapurna to your Buddy List

81 91866 Jul 1, 2010