81 91915 Jul 1, 2010
1D

Sensor: 4.15 megapixels
Max resolution: 2496 x 1662 (Canon RAW format)
Lens conversion factor: 1.3x
Focus: 45-point Area AF w. One-Shot AF, AI Servo AF, and Manual Focus
Exposure: Program, Shutter Priority, Aperture Priority, Depth-of-Field, E-TTL Flash, Manual
ISO Range: Equivalent to ISO 200-1600 (in 1/3 stop increments)
Max burst rate: 8 fps for 21 shots in Large/Fine
Magnesium alloy chassis
"Most extensively (weather)protected camera in its class"

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6  next

Hector Alanis

Registered: Dec 14, 2007
Location: Mexico
Review Date: Jul 10, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Fast 45 point AF, 1.3 Crop Factor, Weather Sealed, fps, dynamic range, price, price, price.
Cons:
noise at high ISO.

I love this camera. I got mine six months ago with a Canon 70-200 L 2.8, and a extender 1.4X in very used condition for 950 US dollars, the 70-200 came without the collar but for the price I can´t complain, all works excellent!!! I was a very lucky man!!
I upgraded from a Canon 300D, it was a great leap to the Canon ID and I am still in the learning curve. With this camera, 4 MP are enough for me, and the noise issue is very manageable with software like noiseware or noise ninja.
I recommend this camera a lot.

Greetings from Mexico.

Jul 10, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Hector Alanis to your Buddy List
andromedaan

Registered: Jul 7, 2008
Review Date: Jul 7, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $750.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: extremely cheap 2ndhand, crop factor 1.3, fabolous imagequality, dynamic range, fast autofocus, custom functions, it's a tank!
Cons:
noise @ ISO 1600 & 3200, no LCD display zoom

I got this baby 3 months now and it is absolutely fabolous! I was looking for a very good digital camera with at least a crop factor of 1.3 (or lower) and very good image tonality and dynamic range.. I never knew my budget allowed me to get this aggressive beast! I got it for €600,- (Netherlands) in mint condition with almost 50,000 clicks.

If you like to have lot's of useless megapixels (what's the last time you printed A2 ??) or other things that the marketeers are trying to make us think are needed, you can go to your local camerashop. If otherwise, go with the 1D and you won't regret it! The price won't be a barrier.

The one bad thing about it is the noise at high ISO's.. And it also seems different on the right side of the photographs... actually it seems worse on the right side.. I thought this should be said, but after all it's nothing to be afraid of... Still 10/10 !!

Jul 7, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add andromedaan to your Buddy List
MrAdventure

Registered: Jun 12, 2008
Review Date: Jul 5, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $600.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Fast 45 point AF, 1.3 Crop Factor, Weather Sealed
Cons:
Small LCD, Two Finger Operation of Menu System

I've been using the 1D for a few days now and shooting a variety of subjects from people, landscapes and fixed objects...not bad at all for a 4MP camera.

I needed a body that I could shoot sports and other outdoor events without worrying about rain, snow and banging around. All the buttons and switches have rubber seals and are recessed enough that they won't be catching on clothing or anything else you might brush up against. This body is built like a tank, heavy but confidence inspiring. I got used to the weight after a few hours and even came to appreciate it as compared to my old 20D and current 30D.

I read a bunch of these reviews prior to buying mine secon-hand so thing I looked for was additional batteries. To that end I got an aftermarket battery and two standard Canon units built into the price. The firmware upgrade took care of the other issue (banding) and I haven't seen anything resembling that in over 300 shots.

The two finger menu system is a bit tedious but it gets smoother for me as I get used to it. The LCD isn't as big and bright as the newer dslr's but then I set up for my shooting conditions and leave them until a situation requires a big enough change.

Compared to the 30D and 50/85mm lenses, you can't be inconspicuous at all for street shooting. This body, regardless of the lens shouts "I'm taking a picture!".

The files, which I'm sure everyone is waiting to hear about: Yes, it's a 4MP camera. The images it produces for me are meant for web, magazine and newsletter use. I doubt I will ever need to print a picture larger than 8 1/2 X 11 inches, even with the 30D (which by the way is only 5 FPS compared to the 8FPS of the 1D).

The tonal quality is great with this camera. Nail the exposure right or reasonably close and your gonna be rewarded with a file that will rez up nicely in Digital Photo Pro that Canon provides or Lightroom/Photoshop etc.

I shoot RAW so everything goes into DPP/Lightroom or PS CS3 "NEUTRAL". I then sharpen and deal with noise, if any, then tweak the colours using Levels and Curves which takes care of 95% of what I do with an image. I may use the highlight/shadows functions on very tough pictures to brighten them up a bit, but that's rare.

With a good lens attached the files are beautiful. I shoot with prime glass mostly. I have a 50mm 1.8, a 85mm 1.8, a 28-135mm IS and I've been rewarded with some very awesome images over the past few days.

Grab one of these while their hot. Add it to your kit as a backup or event camera!!

Jul 5, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add MrAdventure to your Buddy List
BenFPhotog

Registered: Jun 21, 2008
Review Date: Jun 21, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Handling, Durability, Speed. Everything really.
Cons:
Two finger menu takes some getting used to. LCD not that great.

This is my first review on FM, and solely because I felt the need to share how great I believe the 1D is.

Coming from a 20D, the large grip, the ergonomic controls and eye wrenching autofocus are worth the money alone. Although slightly heavy to begin with, I quickly became accustomed to it. As I mentioned, the two finger menu system isn't as good as the 20D, but I don't go through the menus that much so it doesn't really bother me.

One thing I was really really surprised about was the noise levels. I wouldn't use 3200 for most things, but I found that at around 1000, the noise was more like film grain, unlike the jelly like noise of the 20D.

There really is too much great stuff to write about the 1D, but the deciding factor for me was just thinking (and further realising) that the £500 1D mkI has pretty much the core system or the newer 1D models, for a fraction of the price. So for anything from wildlife, concerts, portraits etc. I really do recommended the 1D.

Jun 21, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add BenFPhotog to your Buddy List
neridah

Registered: Jul 16, 2006
Review Date: May 4, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $760.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Feel-Performance-Durability-A truly handsome camera.
Cons:
Battery life-4.1mp-2 finger menu settings can get a little tedious.

Absolutely adore this machine it simply works!!!
Love the sound craftsmanship and the engineering that goes behind every quality image that it produces.
They are relatively cheap at the moment so if an opportunity arises grab one immediately it definately has a great deal of sentimental value as it was canons benchmark DSLR.

May 4, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add neridah to your Buddy List
fotog255

Registered: Jun 8, 2003
Review Date: Feb 11, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Autofocus is super fast!!! Great image quality even if it is just 4.1 MP.
Cons:
Weight... but it is worth it. It has more features than I will ever need.

Now is the time to buy one of these! I bought one last year from a fellow FM'er and fell in love with it. It had about 58,000 acutations and suffered from minor external scuffing.

I happened to find one on the local Craig's list in mint condition for $599 and I scooped it up before I regretted seeing it go to someone else.

Sold the earlier one on e-bay.

It has less than 3K actuations on it!!! Sorry had to gloat on that!

If you find one in good shape buy it! You won't regret it.

Lee

Feb 11, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add fotog255 to your Buddy List
Nunya Bidness

Registered: Jan 7, 2008
Review Date: Jan 7, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Great Core System! Super Fast Everywhere! Plenty of Grunt and Usable Quality for everything from Weddings to Portraits to Product Photography!
Cons:
Like all Professional Digital Camera's...It should have an upgradeable Imager(chip) for the investment we all make!(yea right)

Fantastic Camera...I used to have 3 of these and sold 2 keeping the best one and after 14 months of sitting in the safe I got it back out to shoot some product shots of all things...Still performs great and for Product shots I would match it up against anything because the client was amazed at the quality that was delivered. I don't think I could ever sell this last 1D. The resolution has changed quite a bit, but the core system is still very apparent from this first series.

I now have a 1D, 1DMKII and a 1DMkIII...I just hope the 1DMKIII gets better and makes me as happy as the previous two generations.

Jan 7, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Nunya Bidness to your Buddy List
francard

Registered: Dec 12, 2004
Review Date: Nov 27, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: qualità delle immagini, nitidezza, solidità e tropicalizzazione del corpo, velocità operativa.
Cons:
eccessivo consumo delle batterie (ccd).

Come sopra detto, è una macchina eccellente che attualmente si può acquistare ad un buon prezzo.
Ottima qualità delle immagini, ottimo il bilanciamento del bianco, raffica velocissima, molto flessibile nei comandi, ottimo il grip e nonostante non sia leggerissima si bilancia in maniera eccellente, ottima luminosità del mirino, il rumore ad alti iso (da 1000 fino a 1600) è molto piacevole e simile alla pellicola, non infastidisce. A volte emoziona impugnarla ed averla in mano.

Nov 27, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add francard to your Buddy List
berdavark

Registered: Nov 15, 2005
Review Date: Nov 9, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast AF, speed overall. built like a tank!
Cons:
Nothing

Great camera! Recently bought it used and although it was in rough shape cosmetically, it works like a charm! Fastest camera I have owned, and I just came from the 20d and 30d. Great image quality, fast AF.....and of course, MACHINE GUN FPS!

Nov 9, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add berdavark to your Buddy List
sivrajbm

Registered: Mar 15, 2005
Review Date: Aug 24, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Af Speed, 45 af points, Build, Viewfinder, 4mp, 8fps, cf's, pf's, beautiful film like images, 1/500 flash sync, 1/16,000 shutter speed (faster than a speeding bullet), firewire.
Cons:
No display zoom, battery life, requires computer to set pf's the first time.

The old girl can still strut her stuff. This camera is the best 4mp camera you could ever buy. I picked this one up for a song. No banding, the latest firmware and a good battery. It came with all the pieces from the box. It had just under 60K on the shutter and clean as a whistle. It belong to a Dr., who shot his kids soccer games and stuff till I bought it. It makes a good backup for my Mk2n. Just nail the exposure and you've struck gold, if I'm off on exposure Noiseware Pro can fix it. Played with one of these years ago and just didn't buy it. I'm glad I bought this one. If you can find a good clean example of the original beast don't be afraid to give it a go. People say don't crop or you'll lose a lot with just 4mp. Shoot tight and crop tighter and it all works out fine. This is the camera that really put Canon on the map.

Aug 24, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add sivrajbm to your Buddy List
SAUMBI

Registered: Nov 22, 2005
Review Date: Jun 5, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $835.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: color and exposure accuracy, speed, focus, build, just about everything!!!
Cons:
I didn't own it sooner!!!!!!

I am one of the happiest photo freaks going right now, about a month ago I bought a used 1D in mint condition with only a little over 10,000 clicks on it and found out every positive review iv'e read on here is TRUE! This thing is only a 4 mb camera and the quality is well above my 20D, and its ability is overwelmingly greater than the 20D or 30D which are practically the same camera, I own both! see my 30D review for more on that!

I stole this thing, I got it with only the manual and an aftermarket charger, which seeems to be as good as the factory charger except it takes a little longer to fully charge, but the recondition mode and lcd readout are a plus. Right know is an excelent time to find these cameras in good to mint condition for around a grand and believe me that is a steal!!!

The biggest surprise to me was the noise, or lack of, since I had read how much better th 20D and newer cameras were, ( bulllllllll sh#*****) THE NOISE i SEE IS NOT THE PURPLE RED HAZY SPECKELS, IT'S VERY FILM LIKE! I think at 800 iso as long as you hit your exposer right (and this camera is more than capable of that) it is less objectional than my 20 or 30D's. The other thing is how well built it is, the speed is just to say I got it who needs 8.5 fps. for sure not me. I do think my 30D does a little better with my 580EX but this camera seems to be more mellow loking with flash. and when it comes to focus speed it smokes the prosumer bodies!!!

In closing I would incourage anyone who is considering this purchase for a 1D dinasoure, DO IT NOW, you can thank me and yourself later and believe me you will not regret it,
(IT IS WITHOUT A DOUGHT THE FINEST BARGAIN EVER SINCE THE INTRODUCTION OF DSLR CAMERA'S!!!! And that is all I have to say, just stating facts!

VERY HIGHLY RECOMENDED!!!

Jun 5, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add SAUMBI to your Buddy List
laxman8907

Registered: Apr 3, 2007
Review Date: May 20, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,050.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build Quality, Sharp, great contrast and saturation, 8 fps, 1-series
Cons:

I was lucky enough to buy a mint condition 1d with only 4 thousand actuations on it from a bird photographer. I sold my rebel xti in order to get this camera, and it is all worth it. The sensor on this camera is bigger than the xti, therefor producing richer images. The pictures are sharp and the colors are beautiful! Also do alot of wide angle, and the 1.6x conversion factor of the xti wasn't the best; the 1.3x on the 1d is perfect. This camera is heavy, but you adjust to it and it serves as a reminder that you are holding a 1 series. The AF is fast, and i have yet to explore all the different viewfinder possiblities. The LCD may be smaller than the 30d or xti, but personally for me it doesnt make a difference. I never zoom in on my pictures with my LCD anyways; i'd rather see for myself on my computer so the fact that the 1d can't zoom on the lcd isnt a problem at all. The battery life is short, i guess, but its not a problem at all; just carry a spare. 4MP is plenty for me, especially when the images are so sharp! This was definetly one of the best investments i have made thus far and i highly recommend this to anyone who wants to take thier photography to the 1 series level.

May 20, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add laxman8907 to your Buddy List
Codie M

Registered: Apr 18, 2007
Review Date: Apr 30, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: 8 fps, amazing autofocus, a total tank
Cons:
Noisy at higher ISOs, battery life!

I love my 1D. Its blazing fast 8 frames per second is great for sports and other photojournalist's needs, and I never feel worried that it's going to get bumped around. And if a pesky reporter starts edging in front of you, you can always just whack him with your 70-200...

There is noise at higher ISOs, but it isn't so terrible as long as you get the exposure right. I wouldn't put mine at 3200, though.
The battery life is also pretty bad, so get some spares! This camera will drain your battery if you so much as LOOK at it the wrong way!

I still love it, though.

Apr 30, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Codie M to your Buddy List
BK1616

Registered: Sep 10, 2004
Review Date: Apr 22, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $775.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: AF speed & accuracy, 8 f/s, 1/500 synch speed, unbelievable image quality and its built like a tank.
Cons:
Its heavy, and only 4 MP, and battery life is weak.

I was looking for a back-up to my 20d and after looking long & hard at what's out there, I saw lots of good things about the 1D. I always thought they were out of my league, price-wise, but when Canon announced the 1D Mk III, it started a cascade of trade-ups resulting the the 1D falling to below $800. Well I couldn't resist, and, like many others, now have an 8MP back-up to my 4MP 1D. I recently shot hockey in a strobed rink, and when the 1D battery died, switched to the 20d. When we looked at them afterwards, the difference was stunning - so much so that I think the 20d needs to be serviced. At this price, this has got to be one of the best deals to be found.

Apr 22, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add BK1616 to your Buddy List
Aerospace

Registered: Feb 8, 2006
Review Date: Apr 13, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $700.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: AF,large viewfinder,8 fps,buikd like a tank
Cons:
Green JPEG

For me,It's a great camera back up (first is 5D),I like AF speed.I do with it all I can't with my 5D (sport,airshow).It's a very good choice for the price ($700)
I'm happy with it (and with my 5D,of course!)

Apr 13, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Aerospace to your Buddy List
johnshinn3

Registered: Jun 28, 2006
Review Date: Feb 2, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Built like a tank...shoots 8 frames per second...weather-sealed....a classic EOS camera....
Cons:
none at all.....

Six months after I bought my first (used) Canon EOS-1D, I bought a second one (also used) today for $1,200 after selling my 10D. This camera continues to amaze me --- despite the fact that it's only a 4 megapixel camera --- that I was determined to buy another one for my back up. If you're thinking of buying this camera and if you find one for $1,000 or less---but it. You won't regret it...I didn't.....

Feb 2, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add johnshinn3 to your Buddy List

81 91915 Jul 1, 2010