92 125006 Jun 25, 2012

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6

Richard N

Registered: Apr 3, 2003
Review Date: Jun 15, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,499.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: AF speed, RAW format, CMOS image quality, usability of high ISO, price, overall ergonomics and design
Cons:
1.6 crop - sometimes I love it, other times I hate it... plus little, simple things, nothing serious...

I am an amateur photog and have a decent experience with Canon film bodies shooting slides. In 2001, I made my first jump into digital realm, with a Powershot G1. Great camera, but I greatly missed SLR's design and flexibility, so the G1 was used mostly as a snapshot P&S for parties.

I was following greatly the introduction of D30 and D60 but believed them to be out of my price range. With the 10D, everything changed. I already had good lenses and lots of usable accessories, so I needed to pay for the body only. Mainly, I love 10D's AF speed performance (comparable to EOS 7 - series); clean, "milky-smooth" images from its CMOS sensor and excellent image quality up to ISO 800 (even though most of my pics (about 90-95%) are shot at ISO 100 or 200)...

My 10D was from the third batch (S/N: 032...) and I never experienced any focusing problems. All of my lenses are perfectly sharp when on 10D.

Hard to add anything else to all the comments below, so I won't waste space anymore. If you need go out and get it.

PS: It seems like we will never get a second gen. Foveon upgrade to Sigma's SD-9, so why wait for anything else. I was waiting to see that happen (I'm still amazed at the quality of Foveon pics) but it is too late for me now. I'm sticking with Canon and I'm very happy about it...

Jun 15, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Richard N to your Buddy List
Unregistered
Review Date: Jun 10, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,499.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Pleased well beyond expectations
Cons:
does not display ios information without a button push. Easy to forget the setting. The viewfinder is difficult to frame so that you see the whole picture and the readout at the bottom at the same time.

I've had mine since the first wave of shipments and am extremely pleased with the responsiveness and feel of the camera. I don't care for the fact that I can't see the iso in the viewfinder and the software is horrible. I came close to buying a Nikon D100 and now am very happy that I waited since I like the canon lense selection better and feel this camera is way ahead of any competitor. I have the optional battery grip and the feel in my hand is wonderfull.

Jun 10, 2003
Edit/Delete Message
raneil

Registered: May 19, 2003
Review Date: May 19, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 6

Pros: Speed, Canon quality, color accuracy
Cons:
Soft to a fault (headed back to Canon for repair!)

I?m pleased to hear that so many of you are reporting excellent image quality.

I?m sending my 3-week old 10D back to Canon in hopes that they can fix/adjust it so that I can achieve the same results. I have tried several different lenses, and the camera consistenly produces images that are more than ?just a little soft?. It does not appear to be back focusing or front focusing. Manual focusing does not help. The images are just not sharp at all.

The online merchant from whom I bought it (www.buydig.com) has a 10-day return/exchange policy, and I missed the deadline. So, I?m down to sending it back to Canon. Here?s hoping!

I?m stepping up from a Nikon Coolpix 5700, and this is my first SLR. So I naturally assumed I must be doing something wrong. After visiting 3 different local camera shops, and testing my 10D with several different lenses, everyone that?s used it agrees: it ain?t right. Inluding the area rep. for Canon who happened to be at one of the Wolf Camera stores I visited yesterday. Besides, the problem we?re seeing is quite evident in even the simplest of shots--especially compared to the same shot taken with the razor-sharp Nikon.

I took several indoor (flash) close-ups of a 1-dollar bill with the 10D, and then with the 5700. The differences were striking, to say the least. The 10D?s images looked ?a little soft? at first--until they were compared to those from the Nikon. Then, they just looked sad. The detail in the Nikon images is almost scary (that little camera contiues to amaze me even after 8 months of ownership, and thousands of pictures). I took RAW files from the Canon, converted them to TIFFs using Canon?s File Viewer Utility, and opened them in Photoshop 7. Then I opened the JPEGs from the Nikon. After two passed through the USM, the 10D?s images still didn?t compare to the 5700?s. Sigh....

My wife and I have been well and truly bitten by the photography bug. We were convinced that the 10D would be a major step up from the Coolpix 5700, and we were really looking forward to being impressed. And in every respect EXCPET the sharpness, it truly is everything we?d read about, and everything we expected. But the lack of detail & sharpness is one thing that I cannot live with, and that I cannot ?fix? after the fact in Photoshop--nor should I be expected to.

I hope Canon can make this right.

May 19, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add raneil to your Buddy List
rlay

Registered: Mar 11, 2002
Review Date: Apr 28, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,650.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fixed all of the issues I had with my old D30. Faster, Better, Cheaper
Cons:
Wishful thinking.... no 1.6 crop

I just got my 10D from Fletchers in Sydney, and it is fantastic.... better than I expected. The "processing" speed is much faster than my old D30 that had half the pixels. Love the auto-orientation, low noise high ISO shooting (!!!), 10x zoom playback, quick change of image sizes & compression custom setting.... among other things.

Surprisingly, I like the new Canon Zoombrowser. It's more Windows integrated. On my Mac, the Image Browser is pretty much the same. Photoshop Elements 2.0 is also pretty neat.... although it's missing Actions, Lab Color, and Healing Brush from Photoshop 7..... but certainly better than some of the low end packages I've seen bundled with digi-cams. Still no match for a full version of Photoshop, but enough for a complete novice photo editor.

At first I thought the images were soft and colors were bit weak, but a bit of unsharp mask and levels in photoshop quickly made me change my mind (there is lots of latitude for sharping, color correction, and contrast with the jpgs shot with the standard parameters..... I can imagine there is even more flexibility shooting RAW.... if only I had more memory!). I discovered that with Custom Parameters for Sharpness, Saturation, and Contrast set to +2, the jpgs look fantastic straight out of the camera....as good as my typical adjustments in Photoshop (great for happy snaps).

Apr 28, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add rlay to your Buddy List
okito

Registered: Jan 12, 2003
Review Date: Apr 24, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,499.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: 1.6 lens ratio, 6.3 meg pixpictures, the automatic turning of pictures by 90 degress when verticle pictures are taken
Cons:
slow writing to cf cards after a burst of pictures are taken, 3 fps

I have been very pleased with this camera especially after the many features I don't like about the D30. I just wish there was a camera with the pros I have mention of the 10D and the many GREAT features of the 1D- with a reasonable price tag.

Apr 24, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add okito to your Buddy List
NicoleB

Registered: Jan 5, 2002
Review Date: Apr 4, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: AF speed, more acurate colors, better grip, fast besides my previous D30, the price, even here in Canada.
Cons:
No spot metering, poor software

Comments above are so accurate that I don't have much to add.
I don't mind for the USB 1 because I always use a card reader.
For me the upgrade from the D30 is a real improvement. I always had problems with the reddish skin tones of my previous camera and now I find the 10D is a lot better. I also like to shoot landscape and more resolution is a plus, even it is far from the 1DS.
I think that Canon instead of working on the Direct Print should have created a better program to read RAW files.
I like the camera and in the future when a new product will come, the 10D will be a very good backup.

Apr 4, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add NicoleB to your Buddy List
GrizzlyMike

Registered: Sep 23, 2002
Review Date: Mar 31, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Auto Focus Much improved over D30/60. Nice color rendition. Better control set.
Cons:

I can't say much here thats not already said by others. I had some trouble with the auto focus at first but Canon service brought it back to factory specs. So far it looks to be a worthwhile upgrade from the D60 and I have nothing really negative to say.

I plan on keeping the D60 as a second body dedicated to landscape/wide angle work and the 10D for telephoto/wildlife. Saves the hassle of having to change lenses in the field.

Mar 31, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add GrizzlyMike to your Buddy List
dknadler

Registered: Mar 19, 2002
Review Date: Mar 31, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,475.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Image quality, ergonomics and price.
Cons:
At this price, none.

I owned a D30 before getting the 10D; while I liked the D30 a lot, the new camera corrects every deficiency of the D30 (except the 1.6 FOV) while adding some truly useful improvements: ISO 800 and 1600 now become usable; it's possible to focus the camera in nearly every situation; E-TTL flash is now reliable; and changing every setting on the camera has gotten much more convenient.

I have no complaints with this machine. Truly the bargain of the year.

Mar 31, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dknadler to your Buddy List
mike kobal

Registered: Feb 12, 2003
Review Date: Mar 30, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: price, image quality, high iso, 1.6x , quite silent, light weight.
Cons:
1.6x, small viewfinder

i got it for the high iso and its silence.

Mar 30, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add mike kobal to your Buddy List
RobertM

Registered: Jan 14, 2003
Review Date: Mar 30, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,499.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: image quality, 10x zoom on review, AF speed, clean high ISO shots
Cons:
95% coverage viewfinder, no RAW without embedded JPG, true spot metering

This is my entry into DSLR from a Canon G1, so I'm speaking from the standpoint of someone who wanted to move "up" from the digital point-and-shoot. To summarize, this camera is everything I had hoped for.

All of the controls are well laid out and easy to use and learn. There are many features and customization options that let you configure the camera they way you want it. I find the viewfinder clear and easy to use. I only wish that it was 100% coverage (makes is really difficult to precisely compose using the viewfinder). The top LCD panel is well organized, and the back LCD is bright and easy to read. I find the histogram review very helpful (didn't have it on my G1), and the 10x zoom is great (just wish there was a faster way to zoom all the way in).

Coming from a G1, the 10D is very, very fast - exceeding my expectations. I am quite pleased with the AF and use both "select from all 7" and "select center point only" modes depending on my scenario.

Metering seems very good - I've used evaluative most frequently, but also played with partial and center-weighted. Perhaps a slight tendency to overexpose, but only in high contrast shots. I really wish they had a true spot metering capability...the partial metering area is too big for it to be useful to me.

I'm very impressed with how clean the 800/1600 and even 3200 ISO shots are. This is a boon for those times where I have to take indoor lowlight shots of my kids...concerts, games, etc.

I'm still exploring this camera, and probably will be for quite some time. Many other reviewers give better review of specific features and how they compare to th eD30/D60. I just thought that others who are thinking of making the jump up to DSLR might want to know that this is a great camera to jump to. Make sure that you are ready to compose through the viewfinder (I really prefer this), and don't mind carrying around extra bulk and weight. If you're ready to do that, this camera won't disappoint.

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add RobertM to your Buddy List
wprasek

Registered: Mar 2, 2003
Review Date: Mar 30, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,917.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: AF, low noise at high ISO, build quality, playback zoom, overall speed
Cons:
no audio annotation feature, viewfinder (eyepiece) cover integral to canon neckstrap

SUMMARY:
The 10D is what the D60 should have been when it was released. It addresses the 4 key issues of the D60- poor low-light AF; limited ISO range; lack of LCD playback zoom; and erratic ETTL flash exposure.

In addition it improves in many minor areas, and adds new features which are really icing on the cake. And then you look at the much lower price, and you have a killer camera. well worth the upgrade from a D60 (virtually free for me, via early sale on eBay yielding 95% of the new 10D price).

IMAGE QUALITY- as good as the D60 (i.e. excellent), with good dynamic range and extremely low noise at ISOs 100 and 200. Tends to overexpose a fraction where the D60 would underexpose, but that's no problem, simply dial in a 1/3 to 1/2 stop underexposure.

SHARPNESS- as good as the D60. post-processing is necessary, like all digital cameras, in photoshop. I would recommend a "smart" sharpener like Fred's Custom Sharpening actions.

COLOURS- more natural and "muted" than D60, but IMO more accurate, and you can and should tweak these in photoshop afterwards, or use the 5-increment in-camera parameters if you want to get that more saturated D60 look (not recommended, less flexible).

AF SPEED- **major** improvement over the D60, especially in low-light. this is a new AF module, not the same one simply re-jigged as in the D30 to D60 "upgrade". the 10D locks focus quickly and accurately on fairly low-contrast subjects, in situations where the D60 would just hunt and give up. It's no 1D/1V or even EOS-3, but it is damn good for most work. AF is no longer an issue IMO. AF speed in good light is better, but the improvement is not as dramatically noticeable as in low light.

AI-SERVO AF- now very useable, especially with the 7 AF points. tracks moving subjects well. It's no 1D or 1Ds, but beats the pants of the D60.

ISO RANGE AND NOISE LEVELS- simply amazing. very impressive low levels of film-like tight-grain at ISO 800 and 1600. in fact the 10D seems a little more than one full stop better than the D60... ie its ISO 800 is like the D60's 400, and its ISO 1600 is like the D60's 800, if not a bit better. *WOW*. ISO 3200 is useable, especially with downsampling or processing in neatimage, but there is a fair bit of noise, understandably so. Nice to have the option though.

Have a look at lots of ISO 1600 and 3200 samples here-

PLAYBACK ZOOM- finally you can really check your critical focus on the LCD. hooray! plus you can switch from one image to the next while maintaining the same zoom point for easy, direct comparison. VERY NICE.

OVERALL SPEED- very snappy, feels noticeably more responsive than D60. shutter lag is reduced, and viewfinder blackout is much quicker. menus are easier to traverse, card formatting is much quicker, and the main jog dial turns more easily.

ETTL FLASH EXPOSURE- metering issues have now been resolved with 1D- style algorithms. hooray!!!

LONG EXPOSURES- about as good as the D60, ie. phenomenal. 5 minutes, 8 minutes or 10 minutes are nearly free of noise. a few hot pixels are easy to remove. noise is present, but only really prominent with *extreme* levels adjustment you would not ever do in a real life situation. easily dealt with via dust and speckles, radius 1 or 2 pixels. No other camera, apart from the D60 or 1Ds, comes close. Nikon D100? D1x? Faggedaboudit.

BUILD QUALITY- definitely more robust than the D60 with the magnesium substructure. no creaks or plastic "give" at all. Very "pro" feel, i like it.

ACCESSORIES- still takes the BP-511 battery pack, the BG-ED3 vertical grip, the TC-80N3 remote timer, the anglefinder C, etc etc.

ERGONOMICS- different button layout takes a bit of getting used to, mostly the same, but some rearrangement. Orange backlit LCD is nice. Overall, it seems more logical, comfortable to hold.

PROBLEMS? not a problem, but i wish the D60 included a microphone and speaker for a voice annotation feature. this would be great to capture the atmosphere at a party (music, laughing, conversation, etc) or to record information eg when travelling, the name of the new town you are entering so you know where the next 40 photos are from, what the name of your relative's friend is, etc etc.

I also wish the viewfinder (eyepiece) cover for long exposures wasn’t integral to the camera strap (which I have forsaken in preference for an OP/TECH neoprene style strap) so I could attach it to my substitute strap. Oh well- same as the D60. not a big issue by any stretch of the imagination.

SUMMARY- a great improvement on the D60. get one. NOW. i cant believe how cheap they are, plus canon seem to have fixed their supply problems.

------------------------------------
Warren Prasek
web design | interactive media | photography http://www.wprasek.com/

Mar 30, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add wprasek to your Buddy List
mkwhitley

Registered: Mar 16, 2002
Review Date: Mar 30, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,499.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Superb image quality, inexpensive, 1.6X multiplier
Cons:
Slow buffer write time, 3fps, 8 shot buffer

Just thought some of you might be interested in my initial impressions with the 10D, especially given that we haven't heard too many opinions from 1D owners. I've been shooting with the 1D for about 10 months and used the D60/30 for a brief period before that. I shoot mainly birds and my primary lenses are the Canon 500 F4 IS and the 100-400 IS. I spent two days shooting last weekend and was very impressed with the results, although I do have a few nits.
My initial impression is that the camera is very well made... it feels solid in the hand and a little more well made than the D60, but its not night and day. It certainly doesn't have the 1D feel to it despite the magnesium body. For instance, my 1D survived a 4 foot fall onto rock a few months ago.... I'm not sure my 10D would fare so well. The viewfinder is surprisingly bright and does not seem overly small even after getting used to the 1D.... in the field, I never even thought about it. The LCD on the top is bright and very easy to read given the large aperture and SS numbers. This is particularly useful for me, as I often shoot in manual mode using an incident meter and seeing the numbers is key. The LCD on the back is bright, but seems a bit smaller than the 1D (I haven't checked the numbers). The large dial does feel a bit flimsy as mentioned before. The controls are all well placed on the camera, although I'm still getting used to them. The menu is similar to the D60 and is easy to navigate.
The speed of the AF is very good. I shot osprey in flight with both the 500 and 100-400, the former even with a 1.4X TC, and the vast majority of the shots were sharp and well focused. It seems to track very well. I did try shooting gulls in flight in very low light at the end of the day and it didn't fare as well as the 1D... but that is to be expected. I didn't buy the camera for flight shooting or fast action shots, so this are wasn't critical for me, but the performance I see thus far is a nice bonus. I do wish it focused at f8, because I frequently shoot with the 500 and 2x. Manual focusing is somewhat difficult on moving subjects, but I managed to even get a few sharp flight shots with this combo. I did find that on stopping down to f11 gave me a much higher percentage of sharp manually focused shots, likely due to the increased DOF.
The speed of the camera in image review and writing to the CD card does leave something to be desired. Although the 3fps is reasonably fast, once the buffer fills it seems to take ages to clear. I missed a ton of shots waiting for the buffer to clear. The 1D is FAR FAR superior in this regard, but that was to be expected. Another nit is that when the camera is writing to the CF card, it takes forever to pull up an image for review. This is problematic if you shoot a series of shots and want to pull up the histogram to check your exposure before shooting any more.
The image quality is superb. Like the D60, the images are pretty soft out of the camera and greatly benefit from some USM in Photoshop. After getting used to the sharp out of the camera shots the 1D produces, this has been a major area of complaint for many 1D owners. I have found that selectively sharpening the subject with a setting of 300/1/0 in PS will bring a 10D file to about 1D sharpness, but I am still playing with these numbers. Another shot of 100/.6/0 or so generally makes for a very sharp shot. In my opinion, the CMOS sensor produces an image that exceeds the quality of the CCD in the 1D. The backgrounds are so smooth, buttery soft, and noise free it amazes me. I do believe that you can approximate this look by using Neat Image on low ISO 1D images. The noise levels at ISO100, 200, and 400 are VERY VERY low. In my initial comparisons, I actually prefer ISO400 on the 10D to the 1D. I have yet to shoot at anything above ISO400.
All in all, it seems to be a cool camera that will work well in my rig with the 1D. Will I grab the 10D for all my action shots? Probably not. Would I hesitate to shoot flight shots with it. Nope. For $1500, it is a steal.
Here are some images:

Mar 30, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add mkwhitley to your Buddy List

92 125006 Jun 25, 2012