92 124194 Jun 25, 2012

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6  next
dalephill2

Registered: Aug 26, 2003
Review Date: Jul 8, 2006 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Noise levels excelent, build quality excelent, focus with fast lens excelent, tracking is fair, camera is a must have for amatures or above.
Cons:
Flash is alitte low for long and wide lenses, no problem if you have onboard flash.

:Back to basics and simplicity:

Photographer level=Hobbyist / Proficient Amateur
Moral of the story?? Keep it simple try not to get caught up in the hype.

I would by no means state that I am a professional at this trade, I have on the other hand spent the last 3 years learning a great deal of information and putting it to test. What I have learned in testing equipemt varing 10D,20D,1D,1DMKII, is that the camera is an extension of your creativity, I started off with the 10D and learned on it, itís a fine camera and I loved it, it produced some of my best pics.. 20D also a fine camera that has nicer features than the 10, more pixels, lower noise. Now 1 series camers 1D, I believe this to be the best camera for todays monies, can be bought for $1,000.00 to $1,200 in mint shape and few clicks. The best out of camera jpeg I have seen, 1DMKII An excellent camera again, I found it to be not as good as the original due to all the processing that must go into it to get what your after, the camera is excellent to be sure, its ahead of the original and surpasses it in many ways.

I sold all the cameras and just bought 2 10Dís, and upgraded my glass. I guess I got caught up in all the hype thinking if I had this camera it would make me better, they all still produced the same results. Sure there was better features, more pixels, bigger cameras. I just had to have the latest and greatest, when in fact had I just stayed with the 10D I would have become even more experienced and upgraded my glass as time permited.

This is not for everyone of course, the 10D can do what all these others can do just not as fast or as impressive. For those truly experienced photographers they can create images that will make your mouth drop, and can do it on much simpler camers.

For those newbies or even amateurs, learn your skills of fine tuning your craft and not your cams until youíve truly mastered the craft. Keep it simple and basic. Chasing after the latest and greatest will not make you a better photographer.

Michael Phillips
God Bless.

Jul 8, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add dalephill2 to your Buddy List
photomarvin

Registered: Sep 23, 2005
Review Date: Apr 20, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Image quality is awesome, controls are intuitive and resolution is superb for 6mp. Build quality is out of this world. Fun to hold and shoot with. Price can't be beat for used body.
Cons:
Noise 800 and above could be better, but than you would be buying a 20D/30D. Slower buffer but adequate.

This is still a top notch offering from Canon no matter how old it is now. Image quality is great and the controls are extremely intuitive. This thing handles like a champ. I have the dRebel which was my first introduction to dSLRs and it took me pretty far, but the 10D has solidified my relationship with photography. Someday I will upgrade to a newer body, but this really isn't lacking anything for me right now. Plus these can be had for an incredibly low price.

Apr 20, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add photomarvin to your Buddy List
chavallos

Registered: Dec 28, 2005
Location: Russia
Review Date: Mar 20, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent build quality, very good picture quility, Pro feature set
Cons:
I bit more noise compare to 350D starting on ISO200 and up.

I bought it as a backup (more like second) body to Canon 350D. I use them 50/50. Very happy! Price is unbeatable and 6mpx is still very good resolution. I've printed up to 10x8 and did not notice any problems. Feature wise it's more pro camera than 350D. Build quality is like a tank (again compare to 350D, 1D probably better, but cannot say...). I'm planining to keep it until I will be able to afford FF, like 1Ds. May be for another year or two. I'm not really concerned about resolution, because I use medium format film for critical jobs and scan it (getting up to 125mpx out of it).

Bottom line
* Very fine camera, especialy for the price
* A bit "slower thinker" than 350D/20D
* A bit more noise at higher ISO, but you may like it whis way
* Build quality is exceptional

Mar 20, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add chavallos to your Buddy List
CommonWealth

Registered: Sep 29, 2005
Review Date: Mar 15, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Magnesium body ! , Nice size and excellent placing of buttons , Decent LCD , very quiet , price is great and good image quality when post proccessed also great skin tones
Cons:
Write speed to an 80X CF card is slow and shows it self after a burst of shots,Won't take EF-S lenses.Flash release is electronic and not mechanical (i.e. spring)

I traded a Fuji S2 pro and 2 lenses for a 10D the BG grip and a 28 - 135 USM IS.I think i got an excellent deal.The camera feels right in your hands as its a prefect size with or with out the BG.Its construction is wonderful it feels sturdy and like it could take a few drops if it had to.The Skin tones it produces are great and i get close to the same colours as i was getting on my old Fuji S2 pro after post proccessing which makes me happy and less guilty i got rid of it.I honestly don't see the issue with the size of the LCD,i would say to those of you whom think it is to try using a Kodak/Canon DCS -520 for a while then this becomes a nice treat.I'm a big fan of the battery system as im coming from the Fuji S2 pro and before that a Eos 1d and 1v (film) and a DCS - 520,which all had this big stick of a battery and the fuji s2 pro... well thats just a mess.The only issues i have is that the flash release is electronic and not a basic spring and button release and i see that becoming an issue if some one were to use the built in flash alot,however i don't think many people are.Also i could whine about the 1.6X FLM but its a dead horse by now and just accept it and ignore it.I had also assumed as the 10d was released so close to the 20d that it would accept EF - S lenses,i was surprised to learn it does not which is too bad because some of them are rather good deals.The last problem is that the buffer write speed is slow slow slow,even with an 80X lexar card it acts more or less like a 4X.I can look past that tho its such a great unit.

Mar 15, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add CommonWealth to your Buddy List
Perdu

Registered: Aug 1, 2005
Review Date: Mar 3, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,500.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Beautiful image quality. Handling and build quality. Easily read, sharp menus. Well laid out controls. A canon classic.
Cons:
AF struggles with fast moving objects and is not always dead-on. View finder not as good as it could be. Easy to blow out highlights. Slow start up

Mar 3, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Perdu to your Buddy List
btjohnston

Registered: May 20, 2003
Review Date: Jan 7, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Solid construction, quiet shutter release, nice intuitive layout of controls and features. Feels sturdy and confident in the hand.
Cons:
The LCD is a little small.

This is my second review of this camera.
I bought this camera brand new in early 2003 as an addition to my film kit, and have used it constantly and consistently ever since.
So after approximately 3 years I feel I now have a depth of experience behind me that allows me to give a true account of this camera in my eyes.
It is true that (when talking about a camera as opposed to photography in general) the lens is everything.
I learned soon enough that this camera with it's 6.3mp resolution showed up the flaws in my consumer lenses. If you can look past this, good. I couldn't so I bought myself some 'L' glass and haven't looked back.
I'm not a professional photographer and this is not a professional camera, but you can certainly use it as one. The results straight from the camera, provided you have exposed correctly are brilliant. Don't believe me? Then read some of the other reviews here and do some searching on the net.

I have mainly used this camera in RAW mode but I have seen the grey cast over JPEG images that some people talk about. If you use Photoshop you can easily remove this with the unsharp mask. I rarely use JPEG so this is not a concern for me.

The camera is a little slow compared to the latest bodies but this is just a steady march forward in technology and not something you can hold against the camera in any objective sense. Most of my photography is landscape work. It's not going anywhere and I'd rather take my time than rush, and I'm also enjoying the outdoors. Camera speed doesn't consern me in the slightest.

Yes the flash is a little under powered, but it's enough to put a catchlight in the eyes of an animal or person. If you need more, get a dedicated flash. I use the 550EX on this body and it's fantastic.

The LCD is a little small compared to the later models, but I have grown used to it. I also use the histogram and NOT the preview to tell me if I nailed the shot and or clipped the highlights.

No weather sealing. But this isn't a professional camera.

Noise is high from iso400 up. However, NoiseNinja takes care of this brilliantly. But if you convert to B&W then a little noise is ok in my opinion...it comes down to taste.

I can't say how the automated shooting modes handle as I've only ever used AV, TV and mainly M. But in these modes the camera works extremely well. It is not concerned at all if you, the photographer, wish to take control of the creative process.

Highlights do clip quite easily and this is something you should be aware of. I get around this with two exposures to combine later in PS, or I intentionally under expose by half to one stop if it's critical to get the shot first time. Shadow detail is quite good.

The 10D won't handle the new EFS lens range but these came after the camera so fair enough.

I'd have to read the manual to talk about all the custom functions. I've boosted the saturation just a little but left the sharpening to default, I prefer to control this myself later on.
I use only the centre focus zone when in auto-focus and have this permanently set. Because I'm a landscape shooter I use manual focus 99.999999% of the time with hyper-focal distance.

Conclusion:
If I had my time over would I buy another 10D. My oath I would!
As a second hand purchase you can't find better. When it breaks (and it will) I will get it repaired.
I am eyeing off the 5D now but I will always have my trusty 10D. Like my Minolta SRT and Canon film bodies, we've been through too much and covered so much ground to part company now.

No this review is not very objective, but these are my experiences with the wonderful camera. Buy one, enjoy it, take photos, make memories.

Jan 7, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add btjohnston to your Buddy List
Marrirob

Registered: Jan 10, 2005
Review Date: Dec 10, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Solid construction, great mix of features, classic Canon controls, Great balance of weight vs. feel.
Cons:
None at the price you can get these right now.

I just recently decided to upgrade my D-Reb to get access to some of the custom features (FEC, custom modes, mirror lock up) available in the next level of D-SLRs from Canon (10D/20D).

Having tried out the 5D, I can't say enough about it, but the coin involved in that purchase was out of my price range. I took a look at the 20D, but the difference in picture quality was not worth the jump in price from my D-Reb, and I am not a sports shooter, so the instant on feature that the 20D offers is not important to me. Because of this, a used 10D was the way to go because it let me upgrade with a little cash left over to buy some new lens and take advantage of Canon's current lens rebates on some of their most popular L series lens.

If you are looking for great entry camera into the DSLR market that won't limit your creativity, but you don't want to deal with some of the feature limitations, and build quality of the D-Reb/D-Reb XT (plastic bodies), the 10D is still the way to go. There is not a better balance of price vs. features available right now, in my humble opinion.

Dec 10, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Marrirob to your Buddy List
Drioannis

Registered: Nov 22, 2004
Location: Greece
Review Date: Dec 8, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,000.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Build quality,noise at higher ISO(compeared to camera like D70),cheap if bought used,good image quality.
Cons:
Slow starter(compeared to new camera),small buffer(also compeared to new camera).

This is my first DSLR so I find it relatively good choice to start.It is not very expensive(used),it has very good filling and build quality.In nowdays it is a relatively slow starter and low buffer camera but still takes good picture and it's good enought for me,for now.

Dec 8, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Drioannis to your Buddy List
JimGriggs

Registered: Sep 10, 2005
Review Date: Sep 10, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,300.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: nice feel; good balance; intuitive controls
Cons:
slow to start up

My second Digital SLR (first was an Olympus E20). I already had three EOS film bodies and for "L" lenses. I was totally impressed with the lack of noise (grain?!?) at higher ASA ratings. After shooting with this camera for about 3 months I bought the new 20D. Still used as my backup DSLR body and a lot in the studio.

Sep 10, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add JimGriggs to your Buddy List
Rusty Nail

Registered: Jun 18, 2003
Review Date: Sep 10, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Still gives excellent images even after all this time. 1.6 Crop with telephoto lens. Reasonably fast focus with L Glass.
Cons:
Slow start up and small buffer are problems, but they can be worked around. 1.6 Crop with wide angle lens.

I still love my 10D!

Iíve had it for a few years now, lately as a backup body for my 1D MK II. However when I wrecked my 1.4 TC the 300 f2.8 went on the 10D body when I wanted a bit of extra range, itís never let me down yet and reminded me that in the Lens, camera, photographer equation the camera is probably the least important part!

Yes I know it doesnít focus as fast as the 1D, and the slow start up and small buffer are a touch annoying, but it still takes great pictures which is what I need a camera to do, not impress people with how many frames I can shoot in a second or the size of my sensor.

Itís not a Pro camera but has stood up to a couple of years worth of pro use without letting me down which speaks volumes for the build quality. Whilst I keep thinking I need to upgrade my backup body there is nothing out there that is so much better than this, (although the 5D has got me thinking), tht I can't find other, (much better), uses for the money.

At the prices these are going for nowadays they have to be the bargain of the decade.

Sep 10, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Rusty Nail to your Buddy List
tsaltzma

Registered: Aug 17, 2005
Review Date: Sep 7, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $750.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Substantial construction, extremely intuitive, low noise
Cons:
Slow startup time, slow write after full buffer full on multi-shot, focus is a little slow, 6v shutter trigger voltage annoying

I used the S7000 for awhile, and I really didn't think digital SLR's were that big of a deal to warrant the substantial price difference. I compared shots I did with the Fuji, and they were not far off from the 10d, so I stuck with it for awhile. When I had the chance to purchase a 10d for a decent price, it was time to make the leap.

I've been collecting cameras for about the past 20 years. I've had film bodies from Minolta, Canon, Minox, Ricoh, Pentax, Nikon, Rollei, and a couple others. I had an HP digital P&S, and I still have a Fuji S7000.

I have to give Canon kudos for the best, most substantial feeling body I have ever used. This camera feels like you could use it to get a strike at your local bowling alley, then pick up and resume shooting. Smile (not that I would recommend trying that) I looked at the Rebel as well, and it feels like a toy compared to the 10d. The interface and arrangement of controls is truly very well thought out, and really could not be much better. Battery life is excellent, especially with available 3rd party 1800mah batteries.

The fact you must use canon specific shutter releases is a bit disappointing. It would be nice to have mechanical shutter release available(one thing I like about the S7000). Also, the fact that you can't use any flash with a trigger voltage higher than 6v, without risking damaging the camera, is annoying as well. The autofocus is slow at max zoom on most non-L lenses, but performs adequately on most throughout 75% of the zoom range. The built in flash is pretty weak, and unusable in most situations past 10-15 feet.

For the price, there really aren't many cameras out there that can match the 10d's features, control, and quality.

Sep 7, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add tsaltzma to your Buddy List
Chuck Fry

Registered: Jun 6, 2005
Review Date: Jul 19, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $700.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Ergonomics, image quality, it's a Canon.
Cons:
Slow startup and image write speed, menus and custom functions can be confusing, won't take EF-S lenses, Mac software awkward to use, little or no warning when battery dies.

My first digital SLR (and first autofocus SLR) after owning a Canon T90 for decades. It feels right to me where the 350D made my hand cramp up. The image quality is good enough to make me swear off Fujichrome Astia!

The startup lag is very annoying. Any other complaints I might have are nits. I don't care for the Canon software, so I use Photoshop CS2 instead.

At current used prices, I'd say the 10D is a steal!

Jul 19, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Chuck Fry to your Buddy List
hogband

Registered: Apr 4, 2005
Review Date: Jul 16, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,300.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: File size, 6MP. Auto rotate on files in camera. Will take the same grip as D30 and D60. Ability to back button focus, unlike D30 and D60.
Cons:
Relatively slow AF speed, despite being better than D30 and D60.

I started digital photography with a used D30 then went to a used D60 then a new 10D. I absolutely love this camera. I just wish I had waited a month because the 20D was announced the month after a I bought the 10D.

I will use this camera for a long time to come.

Jul 16, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add hogband to your Buddy List
yverick

Registered: Jul 27, 2004
Review Date: Jun 14, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: very nice file, good handling, and very nice look (with or without the grip). the so quiet shutter, buid quality.
Cons:
a little slow overall and underpowered. (maybe i'm a little spoiled by the 1D ;-) )

This is my favorite camera. Just a great package. To re-write something i read elsewhere, it's actually well balanced, at least for me. Keep in mind this not a lightning fast camera, in fact it's a little on the slow side. But the operations are so smooth, even the shutter with its mute and soft sound adds to smooth experience.
Beside of that the camera produces a very high quality and nice file, in one word natural. I've always prefered it over the 20D file which i found over-soften by the on-ship 3-stage noise reduction (at high iso). To put it further i actually prefer the less strong anti-aliasing filter on this body rather than the one (very strong) on the 1D markII. But the 1D file clips less the highlights and are larger.
The 10D was my first dslr, i bought one two years ago to start my student photojournalism career. I have gone through the shutter of my copy (died after ~50 000 actuations) but i'm going to have it repaired even though i got a 1D mark II now. A true gem in the canon dslr history.

Did i mention it has been a workhorse?

It's simply a cool and beautiful pionner in the dslr history. And pionner always have that truth to them self and the 10D definitly got it!

Very fine product

(i apologize for the english, i'm a french speaker, i hope you like my review anyway. Have a nice day)

Jun 14, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add yverick to your Buddy List
Etadam

Registered: May 29, 2005
Review Date: Jun 4, 2005 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 4

Pros: LCD zoom.
Cons:
Awful AF. 4" Wake-up time! Nuancing in dark areas. Bright areas burn easily.

Jun 4, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Etadam to your Buddy List
zonkola

Registered: Feb 9, 2005
Review Date: Mar 10, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $750.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great all-around digital SLR. Very reasonably priced on the used market now that everyone is upgrading to the 20D.
Cons:
Auto white balance is useless indoors. I understand it's also a problem with the newer models from Canon. You'll want to use the manual white balance feature and/or shoot RAW.

The 10D isn't cutting edge anymore, but this 6.3MP camera can still serve up professional results. I don't have any meaningful complaints about this camera other than the lackluster automatic white balance feature.

I'll want to upgrade at some point, perhaps to the non-yet-extant 30D, or a used 1Ds once a newer high-end Canon drives the prices down. But for now I'm quite content with my 10D.

Mar 10, 2005