Nikon 105mm f/2D AF DC-Nikkor

16 101644 Jan 19, 2014
9.8
1932NAS_180

Portrait lens with Nikon's exclusive Defocus Control.
Change the appearance of out of focus elements so that they appear softer or coarser .
Rear focusing for fast AF operation.

Nikon defocus control offers new creative possibilities for shallow depth-of-field portrait photography. Photographers can fine-tune the foreground or background image area, creating unique blurred effects. Auto-focus option. Accepts 72mm filters. Built-in lens hood.

Note! AF not supported by D40 and D60 cameras
f/Stop Range 2-16
Minimum Focus Distance 3' (0.9 m)
Magnification 1:7.7
Angle of View 23 degree (in 35mm format)
Length 4.4" (112mm)
Maximum Diameter 3.1" (79mm)
Weight 1.4 lb (620 g)

Jacques G

Registered: Aug 19, 2002
Review Date: Jan 19, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Optically flawless - creamy bokeh and great skin rendition. The overall construction of this lens is old school, but in the good sense : metal and heft.
Cons:
No AFS and slightly long minimum focusing distance.

Jan 19, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Jacques G to your Buddy List
Oskar

Registered: Mar 16, 2012
Review Date: Aug 12, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp small light feels like a real lens , why did I not get one sooner As a pro I have just about every lens and camera , but never really found that Perfect portrait lens , wow this is it the 70 - 200 is just to heavy on a job all day This is light and right. Stunning soft backgrounds soft skin tones Even your mother looks glam with this gem .
Cons:
Not good for left hand operation You have to think what you are doing for a change

Lens find of the century
Not really sure if it is a non pro lens
No insult to non pros but you may have to fiddle with
The focus and use a tripod to really get a stunning portrait
Which usually means working with a model who can hold
A pose so you can achieve perfect drop off
You really need to know your stuff it is not a happy snapper lens
It's old school stuff and still cuts it with the best.

Aug 12, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Oskar to your Buddy List
wolfbreath

Registered: Feb 4, 2012
Review Date: Feb 4, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $800.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Superb images Tough build
Cons:
A little big and heavy.

This is the finest portrait lens I've ever used and I can't stop gushing about it. The picture quality is fantastic and it's increasingly more exciting to use everyday.

Compared to a handful of other lenses I've tried and used, this is by far the best. I read a few problems people have with autofocusing + Defocus control but I have been fine (using D7000 body). Autofocus is fast and precise for me.

The Defocus control can make your out of focus areas pretty smooth and soft, but if it's applied too much, then your subject will become softer. Otherwise, even down to f/2 the subject is sharp while the bokeh is creamy. Portraiture was my original intention of using this lens, but it works so well in general, I'm happy to use it more often.

The focal length of this lens makes it a challenge to use in tight spaces. Other shooting scenarios like portraits, fashion, or street photography works better than I can describe. I think everyone should at least TRY this lens once.

Feb 4, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add wolfbreath to your Buddy List
Paul Reams

Registered: Jan 31, 2007
Review Date: Feb 3, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $850.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Outstanding depth-of-field. Sharp like crazy. Renders skin wonderfully. Light and durable.
Cons:
None. I don't use the DC feature at all.

When I purchased this lens, my wife was skeptical about whether we needed it. After all, we already had a 70-200/2.8 and we were really happy with it.
Now, it's tough to imagine our portrait sessions without them. It's a way less intimidating lens, it's got shallower depth-of-field, and it's bloody sharp. There's something about the way that it renders and softens skin that it really amazing. And, of course, it's a blast to melt away the background of whatever it is that you're photographing. It's a go-to lens for us.

text

Feb 3, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Paul Reams to your Buddy List
AngusM

Registered: Feb 13, 2007
Review Date: May 9, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros:
Cons:

Site Admins, perhaps this could be moved to the Nikon lens review area?

May 9, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add AngusM to your Buddy List
danp25

Registered: Jul 4, 2009
Review Date: Sep 4, 2010 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: I've compared this to the 135mm DC which I also bought. I prefer the 105mm DC to the 135mm DC because of its closer focusing range.
Cons:
The depth of field was so thin you have to be careful. Stopped down to f2.8 and its allright for people shots...

I already rated this one a year ago. After months of usage I still love it and prefer this one over the 135mm DC lens.

This is a heavy lens. It is as large as its sibling 135mm DC. I like the fact that it has a built in retractable hood. For portraits you have to stop down from f2.8 to f5.6 to get the best results. I dont use the defocus much but it is there of you want to experiment on bokeh.

Below is a sample shot taken with my daughter. I used SB600 flash bounced at the wall to take off the shadows.

D3 105mm DC prime lens
1/250s f2.8 iso 2800

Sep 4, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add danp25 to your Buddy List
jlnewland

Registered: Dec 12, 2009
Review Date: Dec 12, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,020.00 | Rating: 9

Pros:
Cons:

Dec 12, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jlnewland to your Buddy List
matsu131

Registered: Dec 26, 2005
Review Date: Oct 23, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $850.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build and image quality. Recessed front element and pullout hood. OOF rendering.
Cons:

I really like this lens.

The working distance feels very comfortable(FX). The images are extremely smooth and yet very sharp.

Out of the many bodies/lenses I've owned, the 105DC/D700 is my favorite combo.

Oct 23, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add matsu131 to your Buddy List
danp25

Registered: Jul 4, 2009
Review Date: Jul 4, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: It has the best Bokeh for a prime.
Cons:

This a perfect portrait lens for a Nikon D3. I've compared it to the 85mm f1.8 and this lens simply rocks !!!

Sample shot of my daughter when I was first testing it.

Jul 4, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add danp25 to your Buddy List
psquared

Registered: Apr 29, 2003
Review Date: Sep 30, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Build Quality; IQ; DC control; Compact Size; Balance with large bodies; Recessed Front Element = Flare Control; Good MF action
Cons:
Not AFS;

Cameras Used: D2x, D2Hs

This lens has become one of my favorite lenses - the build quality, image quality, defocus control, flare control, balance with large bodies, and most importantly the compact size. Because of the size, this lens has found itself in my travel bag to replace the 85/1.4 which takes up lots of real estate in a bag.

This lens shared a lot of time with the 85/1.4 as the focal lengths are almost comparable. The MF action is pretty smooth, but the lack of AFS makes it difficult to shoot subjects with quite a bit of action (sports/kids/moving events). The AF speed is ok, but it does tracks well and snaps right into focus w/o hunting. The DC feature is a great feature that works well for portraiture, events, & still life shots.

This lens is an great example of excellent nikkor lens build quality. It is a tank and the image quality is excellent.

Sep 30, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add psquared to your Buddy List
williamkazak

Registered: Jun 8, 2006
Review Date: Nov 21, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $710.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Pro build quality.Very sharp.I love the balance and feel shooting at F2. Great colors for people pics.
Cons:
The manual is less than helpful but the lens is great.

I bought this new for a great price. I wanted to try defocus effects for people at weddings and I wanted to try shooting at F2. The balance is amazingly good on the D70s. I know this lens is Pro quality and the crinkled finish is real nice too. It is compact enough to put in a Tamrac lens pouch and place on your belt. The built in lens shade is handy but the glass is recessed so you hardly need to use the shade anyway.
This is a great walk around lens for outdoor candids of people. I shot an indoor birthday party/reception with it and I tried all kinds of apertures with flash with great results. The defocus takes a little getting used to as the manual suggests setting the defocus aperture the same as the regular shooting aperture. I think there is more defocus by setting the defocus aperture differently than the shooting aperture. Make your own tests but the distance of the background will be a factor in the defocus apperance so you might never really know for sure. Don't worry, just shoot at F2. The bokeh is splendid with or without defocus. You will be amazed at the fun you will have shooting at F2. This is an extremely creative tool and it will change you for the better.
I hate to admit that my beloved and great 105 F2.8 AFD Micro is taking a back seat to this lens. (Sold now). This Defocus lens goes to three feet and the Micro Nikkor goes to one foot, so that is one main difference. This defocus lens does the AF much better and works very well in low light situations. This is such a great tool and I am extremely pleased to own it and shoot at F2.
Now I know why people love their 85mm F1.4 lenses because these kinds of lenses are very special and extremely creative tools.

Nov 21, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add williamkazak to your Buddy List
fotojvdp

Registered: Apr 13, 2005
Review Date: Nov 9, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $800.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: The defocuss control has a learning curve but even without using the DC its the most beautiful portret lens you can imagine. Sharp and soft when not in focus. Very usefull
Cons:
The price is justified

Nov 9, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add fotojvdp to your Buddy List
Stripper

Registered: Dec 11, 2002
Review Date: Apr 3, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Beautiful finish. Produces great color, sharpness and bokah. Light in weight.
Cons:
Lacks AFS focus but still focuses fast enough to use for some action.

I bought this lens about 8 months ago, and it took me a while to get used to reaching for it in my camera bag. I am sure glad I started reaching for it though. It is my #1 portrait lens now. It is the same focal length I usually work at with my 70-200 zoom, and it is much less intimidating to a portrait subject. The results it gives are just so sweet.

I bought the lens used from my favorite dealer, but had I known what a great piece of glass it was, I probably would have bought it new a long time ago. This is one of those lenses that will stay in my bag forever.

Apr 3, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Stripper to your Buddy List
phiggys

Registered: Apr 7, 2004
Review Date: Oct 30, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $350.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Image and build quality is first class its fast pin sharp or as soft as you want it to be.
Cons:
Heavy and expensive but quality usually is !

Love the results from this lens but need to use it more than I do at the moment.
Works well on digital body as well as film.

Oct 30, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add phiggys to your Buddy List
wesley

Registered: Oct 19, 2003
Review Date: Aug 17, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, Sharp @f2 Fast focusing for none AFS lens great weight/size built in lens hood
Cons:
expensive
Aug 17, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add wesley to your Buddy List
thumphrey

Registered: Nov 22, 2002
Review Date: Jun 8, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast. Awesome portrait lens. You can throw foreground or background out of focus. I use it strictly to blur background. Very good detail.
Cons:
Expensive

I actually look forward to using this lens. You can do a portrait in a landfill and make it look incredible. It is one of my favorite lens.

Jun 8, 2004