Nikon 105mm f/2.8D AF Micro

30 113536 Mar 20, 2013
1988NCP_180

Medium telephoto Micro lens for portrait and other high magnification close-up applications.
Provides extra working distance for elusive subjects or ones requiring supplemental illumination.
Continuous focusing from infinity to life-size (1:1)

f/Stop Range 2.8-32
Minimum Focus Distance 1' (0.31 m)
Maximum Magnification 1:1
Angle of View 23°
Tripod Collar No
Length 4.6" (116mm)
Maximum Diameter 3.3" (83mm)
Weight 1.6 lb (720 g)
Usable Nikon Teleconverter TC-14E II, TC-20E II, TC-20E III, TC-17E II (only manual focus, AF not supported)

Page:  1 · 2  next

VidJa

Registered: Oct 23, 2007
Review Date: Mar 20, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: I have bought this lens in 1990!, more expensive than my F801, far before the digital era. It still serves me well and to be honest, it outresolves the D7000. (sorry, no D7100 experience yet). After 23 years it is still a great investment.
Cons:
It's kind of heavy and focuses slow of course no VR.

Mar 20, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add VidJa to your Buddy List
NuclearRoy

Registered: Oct 5, 2011
Review Date: Apr 20, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $750.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Macro, Build quality
Cons:
Heavy

Upgraded from Tamron 60 f2.0 to this. Center sharpness is comprable to the Tamron but the edges are like night and day, the Nikon wins hands down. The VR on this lens seems even better than some of my other Nikons. It is frightening how it stops the motion in the view finder. You know the camera is moving around, but the image is rock steady. It is also a little louder than my other VR lenses, but well worth the tradeoff. Very nice piece of glass.

Apr 20, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add NuclearRoy to your Buddy List
kjyuan

Registered: Aug 1, 2009
Review Date: Dec 7, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $410.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: 1:1, sharp, manual focuses well.
Cons:
too much plastic for my liking, slow af. likes to hunt without limiter.

Great lens. This version doesn't have VR as some reviewers have claimed. This is the D version, which is the predecessor of the G which does have VR. Still gives sharp focus at infinity, and 1:1.

Dec 7, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add kjyuan to your Buddy List
kenpix

Registered: Dec 18, 2004
Review Date: Apr 10, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Excellent sharp images,Great for the selling website close up shots
Cons:
slow focus,plastic body feel

Good lens for close up work.

Apr 10, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add kenpix to your Buddy List
FatBoyAl

Registered: Sep 4, 2005
Review Date: Feb 26, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Build, balance, IQ!, VR, fast AF - especially for a macro
Cons:
None at all - perhaps price, but look what you get!

This was my first Nikon lens after moving from Canon. Killed me that I had to wait for my D300 before using it. I'd had the Canon 180/3.5L and the Sigma 150/2.8 in the past and loved, loved, loved the Sigma. I like the Nikon more.

The VR gives you the ability to use it for macro even if you've not brought your tripod. Even the Sigma absolutely needed support. The Canon? It's a 180mm - you can figure from there! The VR and fast AF also mean this is a great mid-tele for portraits and just about anything else you'd use a 105mm for.

Excellent color and contrast. Wonderful bokeh. Really, this is my favorite macro of all time.

Feb 26, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add FatBoyAl to your Buddy List
klinker

Registered: May 14, 2008
Review Date: Dec 10, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Great built, nice handling, wunderfull imagequality
Cons:
AF sometimes a bit slow (with limit)

wonderfull lens!

Dec 10, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add klinker to your Buddy List
albertino

Registered: Dec 22, 2007
Review Date: Oct 23, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $800.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Una vera lama -leggero-bilanciato e stabilizzazione i suoi punti di forza
Cons:
nessuno

Un obiettivo da non lasciare mai a casa-veramente consigliato

Oct 23, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add albertino to your Buddy List
Carl Feather

Registered: Oct 26, 2007
Review Date: Oct 21, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp at all apertures, solid build, beautiful bokeh, VR, useful and versatile focal length
Cons:
AF sluggish if allowed to travel through the whole range; really struggles with subjects with no contrast.

This is probably one of the most versatile lenses in the Nikon line that you can own. First, it is a 105mm, which is great for portraits and landscapes alike. Add the micro feature, and it is a real value, especially with the VR function.

I researched a micro lens purchase for nearly six months. I was torn between the 60, this lens and the Sigma 150. I even ordered the Sigma twice and cancelled because I just couldn't see myself using something other than Nikon optics.

The VR is what sealed my decision; even if the Sigma is as sharp as this lens, which it is reputed to be, the VR is worth it for the extra $100. Additionally, on a DX sensor this lens is a 150mm, so I am in effect getting the Sigma but with Nikon quality and the VR.

Some have said they don't find VR of use in micro, but am very pleased with the sharpness I'm getting when VR is on and I'm handholding. Every time I use this lens I'm more impressed with the sharpness and smoothness of the transition from sharp to soft. It's like the Lens Baby look, but much sharper. I am looking forward to using this for weddings.

The only downsides I can see are the 62mm filter, which does not mesh with the pro Nikon lenses I own, and the way the lens can't focus on flat, low-contrast subjects, like leaves. Otherwise, this lens is sharper than my 70-200, 85 f/1.4, 50 f/1.4 and old 105 f/2.8 AIS micro, which this lens replaces. If you're riding the fence, get off and buy one. The trade imbalance needs another $750 and you'll photos will benefit from this lens.

Oct 21, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Carl Feather to your Buddy List
mholdef

Registered: Sep 25, 2005
Review Date: Sep 7, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $800.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp, beautiful color and bokeh. Superb construction.
Cons:

I just switched from a Canon 5D to a D700 and needed to replace my Canon 100/2.8 Macro, which with the 5D was already a great combination.

The Nikon is even better !!!

The boken and color are superb, and this is the sharpest lens I currently own.

Portraits also come out wonderful although you really can count every hair or pore in a person's face - so by all means there is no need for any sharpening in post production!

The lens is very well built and although heavier than the Canon, balances quite well on the D700.

In close-up work, I use the lens with VR and autofocus turned off, as neither is of any use. Handheld however, the VR comes in very handy provided the distance to subject is not too close, and autofocus is quite good.

A few sample images can be seen in my nature gallery at:

Mark

Sep 7, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add mholdef to your Buddy List
David Kenney

Registered: Jan 2, 2008
Review Date: Aug 23, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: This is the sharpest lens I own, I use this lens for photographing dogs, my assistant calls the lens my “High Definition” lens. My clients are amazed to be able to count individual hairs on the dogs that I photograph. I photographed a black Scottish Terrier with this lens and had it printed in black and white on the Kodak metallic paper, the dog looks three dimensional.
Cons:
This lens is slow to focus even on my D3's with the new firmware upgrade. I wonder if the new AFS VR lens is as sharp as what I have?

Aug 23, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add David Kenney to your Buddy List
September

Registered: May 14, 2008
Review Date: Jul 8, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, good build quality
Cons:

Just amazing how sharp this lens is even wide open. For macro (micro) photography it delivers crisp pictures. It can be usefull for certain kinds of portraits, be aware tough that is unforgiving in its resolving power. The build quality as usual with nikon primes is excellent.

Jul 8, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add September to your Buddy List
lextalionis

Registered: Jul 28, 2007
Review Date: Apr 17, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $700.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Execelent prime lens...very fun to use and yeilds great results.
Cons:
None that I can find.

I "think" this is the only prime macro with VR to my knowledege. Nothing on the Canon macro lineup has IS. Also, this review is for the "VR" version.

I have photos taken with the D40 for samples to look at here:

Sample Photos Taken with a D40

-Roy

Apr 17, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add lextalionis to your Buddy List
dave chilvers

Registered: Jan 11, 2002
Review Date: Jun 11, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Just superb 105 VR version.
Cons:

To shoot with this lens is to love it and with VR on tap it makes the package.

Jun 11, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dave chilvers to your Buddy List
Chris Brady

Registered: May 7, 2007
Review Date: May 7, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $785.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Tack Sharp, Reliable, Sturdy, Tack Sharp, Affordible, Tack Sharp!
Cons:
NONE....I have experienced NOTHING negative about this lens!

Currently I have not shot with a better lens, especially for Beauty, Macro or portraits.

I am seriously considering getting another one just in case my house is hit by a metor.

This lens is so crisp that I actually noticed an increase in my file size, it pulls out the details lke NOTHING else, its my secret weapon!

I can only hope that my 80-200 2.8 ED AF that is on the way is nearly as crisp.

90% of what you see on my site was shot with this lens including these:

May 7, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Chris Brady to your Buddy List
theDeeZer

Registered: Feb 20, 2004
Review Date: Feb 9, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Of the 19 Nikkor lenses I presently owned, this was my favorite and most often used until I purchased the newer 105mm f/2.8 Micro with VR.
Cons:
If my memory serves me correctly, this particular model has a rotating front. I/m not going to get it out of lockup to make sure, but do consider the newer version. Both versions are super, super sharp.

Feb 9, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add theDeeZer to your Buddy List
mctenhov

Registered: Feb 22, 2006
Review Date: Oct 21, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $350.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Extremely sharp, well constructed, 1:1 Macro capabilities, AF/MF switch on lens itself (easy to use)
Cons:
Extremely slow focussing, it takes about 2 seconds to go from 1:1 to infinity. AF limiter helps. But what the heck, who needs AF on a macro lens :) Only F2.8 on infinity.

Bought mine on Ebay for $350, in excellent shape. It is by far the sharpest lens I own, so I use it not only for macro. For portraits its a bit too long on a crop camera.

Oct 21, 2006