Canon EF 11-24mm f/4L

Focal Length: 11 - 24mm
APS Equivalent: 1.6x: 17.6 - 38.4mm
Max Aperture: f/4
Min Aperture: f/22
Diaphragm Blades: 9 (rounded)
Lens Construction: 16 elements in 11 groups, including 1 Super UD, 1 UD and 4 aspherical elements
Diagonal Angle of View
(Based on image circle): 126.1 to 84 degrees
Focus Details: Internal with ring USM; Full time manual focus
Front Element Rotation: No
Zoom System: Rotary
Closest Focus: 28cm / 11 in.
Magnification Ratio: 0.16x / 1:6.3 (at 24mm)
Filter Size: Rear insert-type
Dimensions
(Length x Diameter): 132mm x 108mm / 5.2 in. x 4.3 in.
Weight: 1180g / 41.6 oz.
Notes: Weather resistant; Subwavelength Coating (SWC) and Air Sphere Coating (ASC); Fluorine coating on front and rear lens surfaces; Built-in lens hood.
Typical Online Price: US$3,000

tertip

Registered: Aug 4, 2017
Review Date: Aug 4, 2017 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $221.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: cheap
Cons:
only black color

I bought this camera used and it was in great condition. The professional logo design were beautiful and inspirational. As others have noted I wish there were explanations about the logos.

Aug 4, 2017
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add tertip to your Buddy List
Yohana33

Registered: May 2, 2017
Location: Brazil
Review Date: May 2, 2017 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Ring-Type USM Autofocus Motor Weather-Resistant Design
Cons:

This ring type Ultrasonic Motor offers smoth and fast silent autofocus, also this state of art lens are completely suitable for in nature pictures since it's design is fully resistant against fingerprints, dust and water always offering a high quality image in comperasion to other lens. But this lens are also very suitable to be used for the commom pictures you should check this high quality weading at expert da conquista to be amused by the high detailed pictures. The only con I think is the price since nobody is able to find this lens at a cheap price I belive I'm lucky.

May 2, 2017
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Yohana33 to your Buddy List
bransonq360

Registered: Feb 6, 2015
Review Date: Sep 10, 2016 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Wide-wide-wide, not fish-eye, zooms to 22, image quality, super sharp even wide open
Cons:
the bulbous front element, heavy, not easy to use

If you are interested in buying this go for it. It is very challenging. Any tilt up or anything not on center gets really exaggerated. But wow does it give you some wild optics while keeping your lines straight (unlike a fish-eye).

At f4 the lens is still super sharp. At higher apertures it just gets more amazing. I simply wonder how it was made?

It is nice that it zooms into 22mm so you can get some more 'normal' like shots. If it was simply a prime at 11, i would not be so keen on it.

The build quality is fantastic, and the zoom and focal rings feel nice.

The 16-35 is a great lens, but if you want to get wild, this is your best bet. You will never need to buy a super-wide again, so in the long run i think this lens is a good investment.

Get up close and watch the magic happen... the foreground just pops out and the background falls away to infinity.

I would not use this as a landscape lens as it is just too wide. I would prefer to back up and use a longer focal length.

Zero complaints, even about the cost. You get what you pay for. Just be careful of the front element!

all of these where taken with the 11-22

Sep 10, 2016
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add bransonq360 to your Buddy List
mike reid

Registered: Nov 26, 2006
Review Date: Apr 22, 2016 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,300.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Does 11mm. Substantial for the cost. Sharp. Does a nice job of making Nikon 14-24 shooters defensive.
Cons:
Canon colors. Has no soul. Superwide is a thrill for only so long.

This is an amazing piece of engineering. Everyone raves about it and calls it a game changer. I rented it twice and then bought. I've tried to like it, honestly. Its super sharp, substantially built. Does a nice job of making Nikon 14-24 shooters defensive. But it has no soul. The images don't make the hairs go up on my back. Zeiss is my home.

Apr 22, 2016
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add mike reid to your Buddy List
JackJames

Registered: Dec 9, 2015
Review Date: Dec 9, 2015 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,999.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: 11mm
Cons:
very heavy, no filters

In general, its simply an unbelievable piece of engineering. What a remarkable lens to work with!
Undoubtedly, cost is through the roofing, however you feel the $$ when you hold it in your hand!

Making use of the 11-24mm has actually entirely changed the way I believe about shooting large. Shots you 'd never think were possible become possible. BUT there is a discovering curve to the lens and all its curvyness! One that I am still in the middle of. It's not for everyone and not for everypurpose. For wedding photography for example you would be able to use it ony a couple of time in a day but it's very different for architecture. Its front end heavier than practically any EF lens you have actually ever shot with. But not an offer breaker at all. It really feels good if you can manage some weight.

Dec 9, 2015
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add JackJames to your Buddy List
mce_30

Registered: Dec 19, 2010
Review Date: May 8, 2015 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: It's an 11mm rectilinear wideangle lens! Sharpness, Distortion control, Sharpness, Wonderful Bokeh, Sharpness & More Sharpness!
Cons:
You might need a neck message or spinal re-alignment after a day of this lens on a full frame camera.

First things first, here are my photos with this lens and a 5DMkIII, so you can judge for yourself:

My Initial Thoughts:

I've only had this lens for one week now (at the time of writing). I am left wondering how Canon have pulled this lens off. It's like nothing I ever used before. Not only is it the world's widest rectilinear ultrawide lens but it's also the sharpest lens from Canon I've ever used. When I say sharp I mean, sharp at F4 at the corners at every zoom setting, including 11mm. At F8 and smaller apertures, it's simply off the charts. Canon, did you folks find some sort of advanced lens technology in a crashed UFO or something??? Seriously, where did this lens come from??? This is so different to the other Canon L lenses I have used, it simply has to be experienced to be believed. Not only is it incredibly sharp, it has wonderful smooth and creamy bokeh. I have wonderful bokeh shots at 11mm, 16mm and 24mm. I am so very glad I didn't buy the 14mm F2.8L Mk II lens. I rented it twice and it's a really nice lens but it doesn't have the convenience of a zoom, and when your dealing with such extreme wide angle views, sometimes you need a more moderate field of view such as that offered by a 24mm lens. In addition I believe it has slightly better distortion control and sharpness than the 14mm F2.8L Mk II lens.

So in summary, this is hands-down my dream lens. I hope to give a full review on my blog in the near future so stay tuned.

May 8, 2015
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add mce_30 to your Buddy List
jamato8

Registered: Dec 23, 2005
Review Date: May 1, 2015 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,999.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: This is one of the best lenses Canon has ever made. As sharp and sharper than most of my primes with beautiful contrast, detail and ease of use.
Cons:
If you don't realize that this lens will throw distortion into the image if not used correctly and it is a problem, then you shouldn't have bought it. For the quality you get it is worth the price of entry.

Having used this in many situations now. from people to documentation of petroglyphs and ancient ruins, I am still amazed by this sense. The front element cleans easily and normally just needs a little pressurized air as it repels dust and dirt so well.

Heavy yes, but I rapidly got used to that. This and my 100-400 MKII are great to have. I wish for color contrast and resolution all my lenses could perform like this. My 200mm F2 and 135 f2 do not let me down but they don't have quite the flexibility.

May 1, 2015
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jamato8 to your Buddy List
Vancouver47

Registered: Sep 24, 2008
Review Date: Apr 18, 2015 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,498.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp, excellent colours, contrast and flare control.
Cons:
Not for everyone. It takes a lot of care to avoid excessive edge distortion, particularly indoors.

This lens has been a constant on my FF bodies since I received it two months ago. I have always wanted a wider lens for architectural interiors and exteriors, but I'm sure it's no surprise to others it is has turned into my go to landscape lens as well. In fact that's where it's at its best. Architectural photos take significant care to avoid unpleasant stretches and distortion on the edges. It is easy to take indoor photos that really distort reality, which I suppose may presents some interesting photographic variations from the norm.

One surprise is the lens is second only to my Otus in clarity of finely detailed objects against the sky and in other backlit situations.

The lens cap is too deep to fit easily in a pocket:)

Apr 18, 2015
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Vancouver47 to your Buddy List
Jeffrey

Registered: Nov 12, 2002
Review Date: Apr 13, 2015 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Another step up in the evolution of lens design and image quality from Canon. It may take a bit of time to get used to the 11mm end of this unit, but the quality is excellent. Minimum distortion for such a wide one. The DOF is huge, of course.
Cons:
Just be careful of the front element. If you have used the 14mm or the 17mm TS-E you know what I mean.

Apr 13, 2015
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Jeffrey to your Buddy List
AGeoJO

Registered: Jul 8, 2003
Review Date: Apr 13, 2015 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,999.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Extremely ultra wide angle, sharp, built to last, fast AF on Canon bodies and easy to focus on Sony A7 series. It handles flares really well. Considering that it is actually a zoom lens makes it even more impressive.
Cons:
Fairly bulky and heavy - Well, it is to be expected from a lens of these characteristics. Aaah, yes, the bulbous front element; you have to be careful to handle this lens. I can "tolerate" the cons, which are more of handling aspects but the pros, the image quality aspects that you can get out of this lens, are significant.

To my delight this lens became available before my trip to Iceland in March 2015. I received my copy about a week before the trip. Originally, I was planning to use this lens to capture northern lights and inside ice caves. I ended up using it a lot more. Well, it was easy to do so because that lens really delivered. Approximately half of my keepers from that trip was taken using this lens.

Apr 13, 2015
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add AGeoJO to your Buddy List
Chris Walker

Registered: Mar 29, 2007
Review Date: Mar 29, 2015 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: zoom range, sharpness
Cons:
price, weight

Amazing lens, sharp and at f/22 a real nice star of the sun.

Here some sample images with 11mm on a Canon EOS 1DX.
RAW-Files, converted with Adobe Lightroom. The blue on the sky you see is out of the camera without any additional changes in Lightroom.

For landscapes and some special perspective, a nice lens to work with.

Mar 29, 2015
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Chris Walker to your Buddy List
LizWangPhotog

Registered: May 23, 2011
Review Date: Mar 18, 2015 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, no distortion (both like no other lens), 11mm full frame- I mean, crazy. Weight is actually not as big as the reviews state, about the same size as the 14-24 Nikon in my opinion. Color fidelity, IQ stunning.
Cons:
Weight (if you're looking for a small lens), but for what you get it's worth it.

Really expected to not like this lens due to the weight, but it's actually not that bad- bigger than the 14 2.8 II, but I feel less worried about damaging the glass- at 18-24mm, the hood is really shielding the glass, if I'm at 11mm, I'm just a little more careful.

Razor sharp without being unpleasing- no distortion, makes any room or church venue look like a gorgeous cathedral- so much space while not distorting the frame. Definitely not as big as the reviews make it out to be- the lens itself only took up half of the box it came in.

At 11mm full frame, there is no equal from 11-14mm, and that's where you get the wow factor. Easy choice over the 14mm and if price is an issue, it also is a better lens at 24mm than the 24 1.4 II. If weight is a factor, it's like carrying 2-3 primes in one lens, so you actually can possibly save on weight. I love innovative lenses, and this is a gamechanger.

Mar 18, 2015
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add LizWangPhotog to your Buddy List
ben egbert

Registered: Jan 31, 2005
Review Date: Mar 8, 2015 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,999.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp, flare resistant, well built
Cons:
Heavy, expensive, vignetting obvious until f11, but f8 is acceptable.

This replaces my 16-35 f2.8 mk2 and Samyang 14 f2.8 and to some degree my 17TSE which I will keep.

I have already seen that it is so close in sharpness to the 17TSE and my 24-70 f2.8 mk2 at 24mm that it can be my primary lens in that focal length. I can have a 2 lens solution, the 11-24 and 24-70 for my landscape needs.

It has better flare resistance than the 17TSE, probably because of the built in hood, but perhaps because of the coatings.

In early tests, I am not seeing any field curvature effects. I can focus dead center about 10 feet out and get near total DOF from 11-24 at aperatures of f8 and above.

The lack of filters does not concern me since I have had bad luck with filters and now shoot bare lens, brackting in place of ND grads.

I may not need the 11-16 range often, but it is probably the best 16-24 available in Canon mount, and with AF.

And when I visit Zion, the 11-16 range will be valuable.

Edit: I have a running comentary about filters and focusing om the Canon forum. Be sure to read the later comments, it was a learning thing for me. I really like this lens. Had some live view focus issues at first, now I don't.

Mar 8, 2015