Tamron 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD SP

Focal Length: 150 - 600mm
35mm Equivalent: 1.5x: 225 - 900mm; 1.6x: 240 - 960mm
Max Aperture: f/5 - 6.3
Min Aperture: f/32 - 40
Diaphragm Blades: 9 (circular)
Lens Construction: 20 elements in 13 groups, including 3 LD (Low Dispersion) elements
Diagonal Angle of View: 12 - 5 degrees
Focus Details: Ultrasonic Silent Drive (USD) with full-time manual focus mechanism
Front Element Rotation: No
Zoom System: Rotary
Closest Focus: 2.7m / 8.9 ft.
Magnification Ratio: 0.2x / 1:5
Dimensions
(Length x Diameter): 257.8mm x 105.6mm / 10.1 in. x 4.2 in. (Nikon version)
Weight: 1951g / 68.8 oz (Nikon version)
Notes: Available mounts: Canon EF-mount, Nikon F-mount, Sony A-mount; VC Optical Image Stabilization (not supported for Sony); Included Accessories: Lens hood, detachable tripod mount.

j.curtis

Registered: May 2, 2004
Review Date: May 23, 2016 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Light weight for what it is. Fairly sharp. Good contrast. Zoom range.
Cons:
Can take multiple twists to reach focus when manually focusing.

Dollar for dollar this is a hard lens to beat. Good sharpness and contrast. One of the best lens purchases I've ever made. Really should be a lens any serious photographer should own, unless you can afford the big bucks on the Nikon or Canon glass. For the size of the lens its not too heavy. I've taken a lot of great hand held shots with this lens. Not a burden on a decent tripod due to the lighter weight of this mega zoom.

I can't really think of anything bad to say about the lens. If money were not an object, then sure there is better glass.

May 23, 2016
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add j.curtis to your Buddy List
aladyforty

Registered: Feb 3, 2006
Posts: 2011
Review Date: Jan 1, 2016 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: price, great image stability
Cons:
heavy

I'm giving it a 10 because for the price this lens is great value. The only thing I can fault is the the images are not quite as punchy color wise or contrasty as my canon 100-400 was. I have no problem hand holding it and I'm getting good image on crop and full frame, it is a tad slow sometimes but like I said, for the price it cant be beat, I use it primarily with my 7DII

most of the shots on my bird site are with this lens

https:[email protected]/

Jan 1, 2016
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add aladyforty to your Buddy List
ChainReaction

Registered: Feb 18, 2005
Review Date: Dec 24, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,069.99 | Rating: 9

Pros: Inexpensive, sturdy, very effective image stabilization, capable of surprisingly-good shots
Cons:
Difficult to use hand-held, relatively-slow aperture, focal length slips when pointed down

This was my first long-range telephoto, bought specifically for a trip to Tanzania. Previous experience has been with a Canon 70-200F4 L. I was reluctant to buy a non-Canon piece of glass, but this lens has met my expectations... it's as good as the various reviews say it is.

With a bean bag, you can get exceptional results with this lens. It's a bit heavy for easy hand-held operation, although after a few days I began to get a few passable bird in flight photos, but just barely. Someone who knows what they're doing will have better results.

The relatively-slow aperture means you'll be bumping up the ISO, and my T3i is very challenged at ISO 800 & above. Thankfully, the image stabilization is impressive.

The build quality is very good, and I noticed no wear & tear after 10 days of very heavy use in Africa. No dust sucked into the elements either, and dust was everywhere on this trip. Focusing was fast and accurate.

I'm very torn about whether to keep this lens or not. It did a fantastic job for its specific task (wildlife photos in Africa) but that was a once-in-a-lifetime thing, and it's too heavy and slow for my primary use (photographing bicycle racing, using gear carried up the mountains on my own bicycle).

Dec 24, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ChainReaction to your Buddy List

Tamron 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD SP