Sony a6000

Tilting 3" 922K-dot LCD
1.4M-dot OLED TruFinder EVF
Built-in flash, Wi-Fi and Multi Interface Shoe
Alpha E-mount
Dual media support (Memory Stick PRO Duo/SD)

ic2foto

Registered: Jun 19, 2010
Review Date: Feb 13, 2015 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $450.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Outstanding image quality and the ability to use a very wide variety of lenses
Cons:
A bit awkward at first if you are new to this type of camera, but not a difficult stretch. Build quality is not Pro level, though still quite good.

I agree with the first reviewer in general. However, my priorities are quite different as I am a landscape photographer who earns a living sell prints. If you care about image quality you can hardly do better than the a6000. Image quality is better than my that of my Canon 5D bodies w/ Zeiss lenses and equal to any 5D Mk III or 6D RAW files I've been able to evaluate. Build quality of the a6000 is not the same as the Canon bodies mentioned above, but is solid none the less. The a6000 body is almost too small and I would prefer something like an A7 given a choice, but I need at least 2 bodies and the IQ of the a6000 is just too good to pass up.

There are many reviews out there and you should easily be able to decide how the a6000 will fit your priorities. I'm all about image quality so it's a no-brainer as I'm willing to put up with some other issues if I can get what I'm after. This is almost always the case with any camera so don't get your nickers in a twist.

Spend your $$$ on high quality lenses and get whatever camera body you can afford. A high quality lens will last you for many, many years during which time you will replace your digital camera body several times. If you switch systems and need to sell your high quality lenses then you will realize much more on the used market vs a lower quality lens. I have Contax/Yashica Zeiss lenses that I've owned since new in the early 1980's which are still as good as almost anything available today and fetch an appropriate price when on offer.

I got my a6000 bodies for $450 each during a holiday promotion. If you only need 1 body and can afford it get an A7 model as they are better built and easier to use if you are familiar with a DSLR. However, good lenses should be a priority (in my opinion) over any particular camera body and the a6000 is very supportive of this POV. Put your $$$ into good glass if you know what you like. As good as the a6000 is - it will be replaced by the aX000 in a couple of years which will undoubtedly be better. Good lenses for this (or any other) system will last much, much longer.

Cheers,
ic2foto

Feb 13, 2015
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ic2foto to your Buddy List
nick williams

Registered: Oct 11, 2004
Review Date: Dec 18, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Very small, well built, good sensor, pop up flash you can bounce.
Cons:
Af slow in low light, kit lens not great but are any kit lenses. SD card is awkward to get out (that is being picky)

Im a professional wedding photographer but also a dad. I have found myself taking the big gear out less and less so I bought this to photograph my family. If you compare it to a compact, which in my opinion for price and size it should be, it's amazing. If you compare it to my 1DX with 24-70 F2.8 MKII not so good.

The focusing in good light, is very good.I find the AWB very good in most situations. Its very well made and feels solid in the hand.
Its very customisable which I like, making the camera so much more user friendly. We all like to shoot in different ways so it's impossible for Sony to make a camera thats perfect for everyone. Being able to change what different buttons and dials do is great.
Having shot SLR's for 30 years the electronic View finder takes a little getting used to, once you have, it works very well. The little pop up flash works great. When I go out with the family I don't want to be lugging flashguns around. Yes it's limited but with a low ceiling it works very well. The picture quality is very good. It's hard for me to judge because my other camera and lens are top of the range and together cost over ten times what this one does. I know you can buy much better lenses if you want to which I'm sure would improve things a lot, not that they bad with the kit lens. Even with the kit lens photo's at ISO 3200 are very printable. I never shoot in auto but with this little gem i can pass it to my wife or kids and they can leave the camera to do all the work. My kids love it, mainly due to the quick focusing. They press the shutter and a photo is taken. With my canon compact it's so slow they ofter miss the shot.

I got this camera a few weeks ago and I have taken more photo's of my kids in that time than the previous 11 months. Would I use this for work, BIG NO. Is it better than a compact camera BIG YES. I love it, I shoot 60 weddings a year but this little camera has given back my hobby, photography. I no nothing about video, all I can say it looks very good to me. Would I recommend it yes if you want to take control of your camera, if you want to learn photography or like me you are experienced and you want something small. If you just want a better point and shoot with great image quality have a look at the RX100

Dec 18, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add nick williams to your Buddy List

Sony a6000