Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF Nikkor

62 134624 Nov 12, 2012
1906NCP_180

An affordable Nikkor that combines the ease of autofocus operation with advanced Nikon optics.

Ideal for scenery or full-length portraits.

Weighs only 5.1 ounces.

Stops down to f/22 for additional depth of field control.

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4

camerapapi

Registered: Oct 15, 2002
Review Date: Dec 5, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp. Well corrected. Nice colors.
Cons:
I find none.

Among today's optics it will be very difficult to find a lens so well corrected for optical aberrations as the faithful 50mm lens. Compare its price to the f1.4 and you will immediately understand why this lens is a bargain.
I picked up mine at a camera show. Some of my best images have been shot with this workhorse. It is sharp, offers a beautiful rendition of colors and it is very handy. I always keep it in my camera or bag and in this digital era at 75mm focal lenght it is excellent for portraits although I use it more for other purposes.
This lens is highly recommended.

Dec 5, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add camerapapi to your Buddy List
sooming

Registered: Dec 4, 2004
Review Date: Dec 4, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp. Good colour rendition. Fast focusing, and great for use in low light condition (f1.8)
Cons:

This is my first standard lens as I just bought my D70. So far has been very impressed by its optical quality. No regrets! Highly recommended.

Dec 4, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add sooming to your Buddy List
riha

Registered: Apr 10, 2004
Review Date: Nov 15, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $150.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, fast and lightweighted.
Cons:
A little bit tight when mounting it, but that will brobably ease up after some usage.

This is my first prime lens and i like it. It is fast, compared to the other lenses i have. It is sharp, specially when using it at f/3.x, but also sharp at f/1.8.

When i first tried it at the shop i thought it was a little bit to tight to mount on my camera, but that has been better and better, so nothing to worry about.

The price i paid may seem a little bit expensive, but i bought it in Sweden where the price is a little bit higher than in USA.

Nov 15, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add riha to your Buddy List
phiggys

Registered: Apr 7, 2004
Review Date: Oct 30, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $50.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Probably the best quality and cheapest Nikon lens you could ever add to your system. Razor sharp and fast.
Cons:
None whats so ever.

This is my second AF 50mm f1.8 lens {Japan made N version)
I purchased the first AF version with the narrow focusing ring and regrettably I sold it along with a F501 to a friend.
"He still uses this lens today and believes it to be the sharpest he has."

Oct 30, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add phiggys to your Buddy List
mayonaise

Registered: Aug 11, 2004
Review Date: Oct 26, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $74.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent sharpness, lightweight, fast focusing, very affordable, fantastic for low light situations
Cons:
Plastic body (but I'm not complaining!)

I got a used Nikkor 50mm f1.8D from a guy who used it for two months. I have been a great fan of this lens for ages and it seems to be sold out everywhere I go. It's perfect for portraits and I now use it more than my D70 kit lens. I highly recommend it.

Oct 26, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add mayonaise to your Buddy List
1024

Registered: May 18, 2004
Review Date: Oct 6, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $60.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Light, fast, and very sharp.
Cons:
Plastic construction seems fragile

This is a great alternative to your slow kit zoom. On a D70 DSLR it makes a great portrait lens because of the 1.5X multiplication of focal length. You get a superfast 75mm portrait lens. The lens is also great for 35mm work as it will focus down pretty close.

Oct 6, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add 1024 to your Buddy List
Unregistered
Review Date: Sep 12, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $65.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Small, cheap and sharp! Great color.
Cons:
Not for beginners. Focal length at 1.8 makes shots seemed blurred if you don't know what your doing.

My only prime, and what a wonderfull lens! As I understand it, this is a design from the 1970's. Mine is made in Japan, but the new ones are made in China and feel pretty cheap. That's really not so important considering what you're getting here.

I couldn't afford any other lens at this apature. It gived me new possibility with lighting.

Sep 12, 2004
Edit/Delete Message
nikon90s

Registered: Jul 23, 2004
Review Date: Aug 28, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $99.99 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp and for the price a must have for anyone with a Nikon
Cons:
none as of yet

I think this is the sharpest lens I own

Aug 28, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add nikon90s to your Buddy List
seyhun

Registered: Feb 24, 2004
Location: Turkey
Review Date: Aug 3, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very cheap. Excellent optics. Very sharp and reliable all the time.
Cons:
Plastic. But no problems yet.

Unless you need the 1.4, this is a very good lens

Aug 3, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add seyhun to your Buddy List
beatus80

Registered: Jul 31, 2003
Review Date: Feb 4, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $167.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: small & light, very sharp image, nice image even in f/1.8
Cons:
none i can think of. maybe slow focus which doesn't really matter in prime lenses

this is a very nice, cheap, small lense.

it's one of the best lense because you don't really need a lot of money to buy such a great quality lense.

i love this lense. i've changed from 50mm f/1.4 because i thought in that focal length, i wouldn't need that much of speed.

it was a fine choice considering my financial situation.

Feb 4, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add beatus80 to your Buddy List
dobrodude

Registered: Aug 26, 2002
Review Date: May 25, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $65.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, excellent color, fast focusing
Cons:

I actually use this lens more often then my 50 f1.4.... don't know why, guess because it's so cheap and works so well.
Probably one of nikons best lenses.

May 25, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dobrodude to your Buddy List
Hendrik

Registered: Jul 21, 2002
Review Date: May 18, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Perfect. Small, light and sharp. It's the lens I use the most on my D1X. I use the D version
Cons:
none.

May 18, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews View gallery Visit Homepage Add Hendrik to your Buddy List
Phille

Registered: Apr 24, 2003
Review Date: Apr 24, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $135.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: razor sharp, fast, qiet AF, light, small, cheap
Cons:
none I can think off, maybe the plastic barrel that used to be metal

This is maybe one of Nikkor's best lenses, rated 4,6 MFT and cost bearly nothing, now these days again gains popularity on DSLR making it a 75mm on a D100 for small portrets, general shooting.

I have it in standby all the time and like to use it as much as possible, I use it as my prime Makro lens in combination with the Kenko automatic rings, a great combination giving me up to 7 different selectable combinations of 12+20+36mm.

At f/22 I get fabulous macro results with this very cheap but nice lens.
I use a B+W filter on it. The only thing is that it used to be all metal, now the new D version is made in plastic.

High recommended for a bargain price, I paid 135$ new.

Apr 24, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Phille to your Buddy List
vizor9

Registered: Feb 3, 2003
Review Date: Apr 9, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Incredibly affordable. Top notch quality and speed for $100.
Cons:
On 1.5 sized sensors, 50mm can be an awkward focal length.

This lens was recommended to me by two professional photographers and at first I thought it was too good to be true. The image quality is outstanding and you absolutely can not beat this lens if you are on a budget. If you are new to D-SLR's and are hesitant to drop $1,000+ on the expensive Nikkor Telephotos, this is the lens for you.

Apr 9, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add vizor9 to your Buddy List

Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF Nikkor