Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG HSM OS "S"

4 14548 May 5, 2017
sigmatele

Image Circle: 35mm
Type: Telephoto Zoom
Focal Length: 150 - 600mm
APS Equivalent: 1.5x: 225 - 900mm; 1.6x: 240 - 960mm
Max Aperture: f/5 - 6.3
Min Aperture: f/22
Diaphragm Blades: 9 (rounded)
Lens Construction: 20 elements in 14 groups, including 1 FLD and 3 SLD glass elements
Diagonal Angle of View
(Based on image circle): 16.4 - 4.1 degrees
Focus Details: HSM with manual override (MO) switch
Front Element Rotation: ?
Zoom System: Rotary (with zoom lock switch)
Closest Focus: 280cm / 110.2 in.
Magnification Ratio: 0.2x / 1:5
Dimensions
(Length x Diameter): 260mm x 105mm / 10.2 in. x 4.1 in.
Weight: TBD
Notes: Updated Optical Stabilizer (OS); Dust and splash-proof mount, as well as new water and oil-repellent coating on the front and rear lenses; Available AF Mounts: Canon EF, Nikon F, Sony A, Sigma SA

jrobichaud

Registered: Feb 21, 2005
Review Date: May 5, 2017 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Really sharp and great color
Cons:
not much, it's not too heavy. I bought it mint used, so price was not a concern.

I'm a bit bewildered ! I picked this lens up specifically to use on my sony a6300 and a7rii and maybe A9 with the MC-11 adapter. I shoot canon primarily, bought her used and figured it would do a good job.
Well, I just did some critical testing with her against my 100-400mm II canon. I think the 1-4ii is the finest zoom ever made, and I've owned almost everything Canon and Nikon have made.

I ran identical tests on my 5Diii and the A7rii.
I just don't get it! At every focal length (150mm, 200mm, 300mm, 400mm, 500mm, 600mm and 560mm-1-4iiw1.4iii)
They were either too close to call or the sigma won. Non of the too close to call images favored the canon. All shots were at f8, the A7rii images looked a lot better than the 5Diii as you would expect, but still, the sigma was the better lens.
Either I got an amazing one, or the Sigma 150-600mm sport is much better than the on-line reviews I checked before buying it. WOW!

PS I tested my 100-400mm II critically previously against my 400mm 2.8 IS II and the 300mm 2.8 IS and the 100-400II was right there with them, it's a killer as well.

May 5, 2017
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jrobichaud to your Buddy List
friz1983

Registered: Apr 2, 2017
Review Date: Apr 2, 2017 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharpness, weather sealing, af speed, build quality
Cons:
Heavy if not fit

Amazing lens, I took few month in research and test before buyng the lens, Now after 8 month that is in my possession I can say that I don-t regret my choice, Is mounted on my d7100 99 % of the time and I can't wait to use on the d500 that is in mine plan to buy in the next month.
I reccomend this lens for sure.

Apr 2, 2017
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add friz1983 to your Buddy List
trenchmonkey

Registered: Oct 21, 2004
Review Date: Jan 24, 2016 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Build, weather/dust sealing, AF speed, push/pull zooming, lots of customization available via the dock, IQ wide open...stopped down to f8? Fuggeddaboutit!!
Cons:
Heavy for those less fit, lame tripod foot. There was no 9 1/2 option ;)

Bought one of the 1st refurbs available (Jun '15) and felt 6 mo.
in hand a decent time to form an valued opinion. Hell of a lens
for the money. 900mm FOV on my D7200, stupid fast AF, and
best of all...I've yet to fine tune my copy. OS not bad, couple
three stops. The push/pull option is a dream in the field. Plays
well with my D810/800's but prefer the 'reach' of the D7200,
SO looking forward to using it with the D500 in Mar. The build
is 1st rate, Nikkor prime quality. Made in Japan, as are all the
new Sigma offerings (have 5 total) Do yourself a favor and give
one a try. Nothing beats the speed of a naked lens and this zoom
gives you 600mm...only bested by the 600f4 >@ 5X the price.
Always one to backup my words with pics, check my Uploads.
Had the 200-500 and 80-400 with w/o TC's...guess what I kept.

Jan 24, 2016
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add trenchmonkey to your Buddy List
helimat

Registered: Apr 6, 2008
Review Date: Sep 5, 2015 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Well built. Great image quality. Fast to focus. Great optical stabilization
Cons:
Heavy

I contemplated for a while whether to get the Contemporary or Sport version of this lens, and in the end I went with the Sport as I am hoping to use it for eagle photography into the wet late fall here. While heavy, it is hand holdable for a short period, but is better suited to use on a mono or tripod. It is sharp across the frame at the focal lengths I have used, the focus is quick and accurate, and as well the OS is very effective, I have even tried heli shots at 1/60 @ 600mm with some success.

I am quite happy that I picked the Sport, as the build is excellent, and the increased corner sharpness over the Contemporary lends itself well to other types of shooting other than birds.

Sep 5, 2015
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add helimat to your Buddy List

Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG HSM OS "S"

4 14548 May 5, 2017