Canon EOS 7D Mark II DSLR Camera

Dual CF and SD card slots

GABarber

Registered: Apr 5, 2004
Review Date: Sep 5, 2015 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,400.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Fast Focusing, Great Usability and Handling, the Camera for Birders, Wildlife and Sports - especially good with the new 100-400 Mk II
Cons:
I would like a little better Dynamic Range, especially pulling up detail from dark feathers

Although I've largely moved from Canon on Landscape and Architecture to the Sony A7R, the 7DII remains my favorite for Birds, Wildlife and Action. This is absolutely awesome when paired with the 100-400 Mk II or the 70-200L 2.8 IS. I can even shoot this 100-400 combo with the 1.4 TC - although there is a slight sharpness degradation.

What I would wish for is slightly higher resolution (for cropping) and better dynamic range. I notice that when I pull up shadows I get a bit too much noise, even at lower ISO's

I see others downgrading their review because of issues with the 200-400 - but I would think that might be a focusing adjustment or a lens/tc issue. The 100-400 is one of the sharpest long lenses I've shot with.

And boy, is this a buy for the price... If you want to shoot birds in flight - get this.

Sep 5, 2015
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add GABarber to your Buddy List
fzihlmann

Registered: Jan 29, 2010
Review Date: Aug 16, 2015 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 6

Pros: Feature rich, fast focusing system. Overall speed of camera is outstanding. Easy to learn and operate.
Cons:
Image quality is disappointing when used with my Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM Extender 1.4x lens.

I bought the 7D MKII as a companion camera to my EOS 5D MKIII. Main reason for purchasing the camera was to extend the reach of my EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM Extender 1.4x lens given with the 1.6 crop factor. I find the image quality disappointing even with built-in Extender in "off" position. When Extender is set "On" I find the image quality unacceptable.

Having used the 200-400 for a year with the 5D MKIII and achieving outstanding image quality I wonder if buying an external Extender would have been a better choice. Does anybody go through the same experience?

Aug 16, 2015
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add fzihlmann to your Buddy List
stopper

Registered: May 1, 2008
Review Date: Jun 10, 2015 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,950.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great to have 10 F/Second, Great looking ISO at 1600 and 2 card slots
Cons:

1.6 crop factor is great for my wildlife photos.
The 10 frames per second for my Grandson's sports is super. So much easier to get that ball just as it hits the bat. Where my 6D was lucky to get the ball near the bat.
I love the 2 card slots. I can save raw to the CF and jpegs to the SD card. If I don't need to use the raw files it is so easy to delete them all.
The 65 cross type focus points sure helps keep focus on my birds in flight. I don't have the steadiest hands so the image is not always in the centre and the big focus point area is a must for me.
Battery life has far exceeded the 850 shots. Of course I don't use live view or flash (I have the 580ex 2 if needed).

Jun 10, 2015
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add stopper to your Buddy List
Photoguy1956

Registered: Jun 10, 2015
Location: Iceland
Review Date: Jun 10, 2015 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,800.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: ISO is great, Love the 10f/sec and the number of cross type focus points
Cons:
None. I don't compare APS-C cameras to $8000 FF

ISO is better than my original 7D which should be expected as the 7D is 6yrs old.

I love the 10f/sec but it sure burns through pictures fast. Then again it is easier to get that perfect shot of a bird in flight and the wings just where you like them or the head turning at just the right angle.

Great to have to the two card slots finally.

ISO 100 is the same on all cameras even when pixel peeping. This is where the 7D mark ii really shines. You get the 1.6 crop factor at 20.2 Mb pixels vs 11 Mb pixels on the 1Dx when you crop to have the same angle of view.
Yes, I know the FFs are better at higher ISOs and low light but at 100 ISO on a sunny day, you can't beat the APC-Cs for wildlife and birds.

Jun 10, 2015
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Photoguy1956 to your Buddy List
aladyforty

Registered: Feb 3, 2006
Posts: 2014
Review Date: Mar 29, 2015 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,099.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build quality, ergonomics are same as 5DIII making it the perfect buddy to my other camera, Fast, accurate focusing and silent shutter and the speed!!! 10FPS is fast. Image quality is very good compared to my original 7D, files can be pushed more in post processing. Once edited its hard to pick which images were taken with 7DII or 5DIII. Video head jack port is good and the video quality is great and the fact that it will focus while videoing is very nice.
Cons:
None really, I dont need WiFi or swivel screen

Ive now had this camera since December last year so thought Id write a review. I'm very happy with it. It was purchased as a replacement for my 7D mark 1. Its a great companion to my 5dIII and I actually like using more than the full frame. The images are pretty good and it gives my 5DIII a rest from over use given that I cant really afford to replace that camera any time soon. I love the fact that I can go between the two cameras with ease as they have the same button set up. This camera paired with my Tamron 150-600 gives me amazing reach for birding at a cheap price. It also is good enough as an all round camera for everyday use. I now tend to use it over the full frame in reasonable light and keep the 5dIII for serious landscapes, night shooting and portraits. I did not expect to like it as much as I do. I have seen plenty of people who have not felt the same way so I am either just very lucky or have taken the time to really work out this camera and how to use it well. It did take a bit of getting used to. Images do seem to need more contrast and sharpening applied post process but in the end the end photo is all I care about. In my opinion as a canon shooter I now have the perfect pair of cameras without having to carry the heavy weight of a 1d series camera. At the price the 7DII is selling for here in Australia I think its a bargain

Mar 29, 2015
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add aladyforty to your Buddy List
Ulan

Registered: May 14, 2008
Review Date: Jan 18, 2015 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast and accurate autofocus; large autofocus point coverage; pleasant viewfinder; 10 fps; silent shutter; Flicker control; improved image quality over 7D mark I;
Cons:
No swivel and touchscreen; no wifi; spot metering not linked to AF active point;

I got this camera four days before a trip to Cape Town and Western Cape province. 7D2 proved to be an excellent tool for wildlife photography, even when light was poor.
Overall I find the camera to be very responsive and fast. 10 fps was quite impressive. Speed doesn't mean neglect : autofocus is fast and accurate, pictures are sharp whether in One Shot or AI Servo with moving subjects. Silent shutter mode is a very useful feature for wildlife photography.

The informative 100% viewfinder is pleasant thanks to the display of an improved level and several icons allowing to control for AV/TV, ISO, metering mode.

Image quality has improved over former 7D : less (and more acceptable) grain in sky areas after 800 ISO. Of course there is a learning curve with the 7DII, especially when you work in contrasty conditions. Nothing to complain about the new metering system, except that spot metering is not linked to the AF point.

Build is excellent and ergonomics make the camera a pleasure to use.

Another important feature, for composition : the large area of AF points (that also means playing with the joystick for the selection of the point).

Can't say anything about video as I never use that feature. Maybe I would have filmed some sequences if there had been a touch and swivel screen.

Jan 18, 2015
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Ulan to your Buddy List
Thomas Richter

Registered: Jun 17, 2012
Review Date: Jan 15, 2015 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Perfect companion to my 5D Mark III, great AF, 20MP, high-ISO capabilities improved over 7D
Cons:
No WiFi

The 7D2 plays two roles in my kit:
1) It is a backup to my 5D Mark III, and in that role it's a perfect little sibling.
2) It is my travel camera with the EF 18-135 STM and (yet to come) EF 10-18 STM.
Of course it doesn't have the image quality of the 5D3, but I can use that big one (gripped) if needed. But it is in so many regards better than its predecessor that I am totally happy with it.
WiFi would have been nice, but as I have recently also updated my G11 to G7X, which now has WiFi, this is no issue for me.
I think until Canon releases something completey irresistible (e.g. a HighMP-body in the price range of 5D3) I will be very happy with those bodies in my kit. And I can already anticipate that the 7D Mark II will be the most used one.

Jan 15, 2015
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Thomas Richter to your Buddy List
Ronald Stochl

Registered: Jan 9, 2007
Review Date: Jan 15, 2015 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,799.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Fast & accurate auto focus / wide array of focus settings / very good image quality / solid build / highly configurable / very informative view finder / very good high ISO for a cropped sensor camera (almost a stop better than the original 7d)
Cons:
spot metering can only be linked to center focus point / battery life

Jan 15, 2015
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Ronald Stochl to your Buddy List
CDmkI

Registered: Dec 14, 2008
Review Date: Jan 4, 2015 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Quality of the images; focus system; weight as this is my primary travel camera. The learning process is greater than my 50D and 1DIII but that happens every time I change my phone and so not a negative IMOP.
Cons:
Minor niggle - Having turned off all noise reduction, DPP 4.1 still applies it when opening the images, but that is the software not the camera.

Great camera and a substantial upgrade which I will enjoy travelling with.

The focus system and the ability to customise settings are great for wildlife and then quickly switching to landscape and occasional family shots. Noise is not a problem at the ISO, up to 1000, that I use for wildlife and even the stills from the video are useable.

Around 2000, when updating the Office system Microsoft realised that very few people read manuals and therefore did not know how to find and use the features in the software. Upgrades users were asking for had been there in previous versions. The result was the dreaded paperclip.

Canon seem to have realised that the same issue is affecting the use of their cameras and thankfully have taken an alternative route. The online series of video and written tutorials are are great help on specific features when getting used to working with the camera. I hope that is a customer service trend that will continue.

Only minor irritation so far - I am puzzled by the link with DPP 4 which applies some noise reduction when I open the shots, even though I have turned it all off in the camera.

Overall very happy, hence my first review. An easy 10 from me. I did not want a point and shoot and therefore do not mark it down because it has a major new learning curve; it is making me think about what I want from it and how to get it.

Jan 4, 2015
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add CDmkI to your Buddy List
mrcolin2u

Registered: Jun 30, 2005
Review Date: Jan 1, 2015 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Weight savings over the 1D series, , auto focus, relatively quiet shutter noise, lots of custom features, excellent image quality good in low light.
Cons:
Takes a while to learn AF system

I've previously owned two 1DM3's and a 1DM4, and I am getting just as good results with the 7D2.
I have read the manual on this came a more than any other, only to try and get the most out of it.
I still get some shots OOF but I think it may be operator error.

I waited a long time for this camera to be released and I'm more than pleased with it's performance.
I've been shooting mainly birds with the 7D2, you can see samples here : http://mrcolin2u.zenfolio.com/p478278686

UPDATE: Been using this camera over a year and still enjoying the fast focusing, excellent image quality and light weight compared to 1D series.

Jan 1, 2015
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mrcolin2u to your Buddy List
chrismoira

Registered: Dec 20, 2014
Review Date: Dec 20, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Autofocus (especially in low light), speed, build quality and ergonomics.The flexibility to set it up exactly how you need it is fantastic. The image quality is much better than my previous camera and for an APS-C sensor the ISO performance is as good as you could expect.
Cons:
Battery Life, no touch screen (for video use).

I moved up to this camera from a 400D. It is in an entirely different league. It feels good in your hand and the build quality is excellent. The image quality is very good. I use it with both L glass and EF-S lenses.

Dec 20, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add chrismoira to your Buddy List
wfr2

Registered: May 14, 2003
Review Date: Dec 12, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Amazing camera for the price. Very fast.
Cons:
People have over stated its high ISO capabilities. Very good for a crop sensor I guess but not worth raves. If you are coming from an old crop sensor camera you will be impressed. If you are coming from a 1DX you will be a bit disappointed.

Dec 12, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add wfr2 to your Buddy List
Pixelaudacity

Registered: Nov 23, 2014
Review Date: Nov 23, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,900.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast, accurate focusing; 65 AF points; excellent high ISO image quality; 10 FPS; and great resolution. Meets or exceeds all of my expectations.
Cons:
None encountered so far.

This is a fun camera for shooting anything that moves. The fast focusing and 10 FPS make it possible to capture images you probably would've lost before. Fabulous features at a sensible price. Love it!

Nov 23, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Pixelaudacity to your Buddy List

Canon EOS 7D Mark II DSLR Camera