Nikon 35mm f/2D AF Nikkor

38 123988 Mar 1, 2014
1923NCP_180

Versatile wide-angle lens for a broad range of uses.
Perfect lens for the photographer on the go.
Fast f/2 maximum aperture make this ideal for low light, hand-held shooting.

more info from Nikon

A popular choice for travel photography and candids, the 35mm f/2D AF Nikkor offers autofocus capability, plus 62 picture coverage, additional depth of field and a wide maximum aperture. Compact size, light weight. Accepts 52mm filters; HN-3 lens hood.

Note! AF not supported by D40 and D60 cameras.
f/Stop Range 2.0-22
Minimum Focus Distance 10.2"
Magnification 1:4.2
Angle of View 62 Degrees
Length 1.7"
Maximum Diameter 2.5"
Weight 0.45 lb
Usable Nikon Teleconverter TC-201 or TC-14a (manual focus only)

myam203

Registered: Feb 10, 2007
Review Date: Mar 1, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $250.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Very cheap, very small, very light, very quick AF.
Cons:
Slightly loud AF, hazy wide open but still great in many situations.

I just got my used copy yesterday, but I've already played with this lens enough that I feel comfortable commenting on it.

First, it's very small and light and that's exactly what I wanted for when my Nikon 24-70 gets too heavy to lug around. On my D600, it actually focuses almost as fast as the 24-70, but it's a bit loud, especially when it clanks against infinity and minimum focus. Aside from the 2.8 pro zooms, I don't think any of the newer AF-S lenses are quite as fast, but the importance of focus speed in practice is hard to quantify.

Sharpness is decent wide open, but contrast suffers a bit (more noticeable in some situations/lighting than others). For some shots, it may even be a benefit. f/2.2 already shows a slight improvement over wide open, and f/2.5 shows a significant jump in sharpness and contrast. By f/2.8, you're clear of anything objectionable, but f/2.5 gets you 99% of the way there.

The color and contrast is more subtle than many newer lenses and is a welcome change (not better or worse, just different).

Overall, I can't recommend this lens enough, especially for the money.

Mar 1, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add myam203 to your Buddy List
HyperCams

Registered: May 22, 2010
Review Date: Apr 9, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: SHARP! Even wide open this lens blows me away(which is how I use it 90% of the time!). If there is any distortion I have yet to see it..at all. PRICE! ~$200-250 for this "little"/old looking lens? I would do it again, any day!
Cons:
N.O.N.E. Sorry, but I have not seen or found a single thing that I do not like about this lens...which says a lot about Nikon glass and this lens!

Have had this for 6+ months now and it has easily become my go to lens for nearly everything.
I was usually sporting a 50/1.4 all the time(and I never liked the 35mm FOV)...but now, this lens is just IT..especially for video work..
it does NOT have a switch on the lens itself for switching between AF and MF, so you only have to flip the switch on the camera(which is easy).
The focus is so smooth, and goes from close to infinity in less than 1/2-3/4turn(IIRC-I dont have it on me to measure exactly).

It is extremely sharp! Wide open is amazing. IMHO, it is easily on par with any 35/1.4 when the 1.4 is stopped down to 1.8/2.0...maybe even better.
And being 1/5th the cost of an F/1.4? No brainer!

If you find one of these, and are on the fence, GET IT! you will not be disappointed!

Yea, it doesnt look like the best 35mm lens in the world, especially on a shiny new/modern DSLR, but who cares? the performance is what matters, and this lens does not disappoint!!

I often get "funny" looks by customers who check out my cameras(D800/D7100), and say something like: "Nice camera! what kind of lens is that?...it just looks like an antique or something.."
I always say, "well, let's see what the images/video looks like after we shoot and we'll talk about the lens then".
There has never been someone to bring it up post-shoot...ever. lol

What else to say?
I love this "little guy"!
Even if I was hard up for cash, I would still hold onto this lens after selling my other lenses..it is just practical, and proves itself on every shot/shoot..period.

Apr 9, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add HyperCams to your Buddy List
Oskar

Registered: Mar 16, 2012
Review Date: Jul 27, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $420.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Light fast sharp cheep small
Cons:

Iam a commercial shooter which means everything
This is a gem of a lens forget F2 but above
There brilliant

Jul 27, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Oskar to your Buddy List
Marc de Wit

Registered: Apr 3, 2010
Review Date: May 21, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp , nice bokeh , fast , close focus , affordable .
Cons:

Fast and reliable AF. Shooting with this lens feels very safe , no worries regarding the results.

May 21, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Marc de Wit to your Buddy List
baabbott

Registered: Jul 31, 2005
Review Date: Jul 25, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $345.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Small, well-built, focuses fast.
Cons:
A bit soft at f2, but very nice from 2.8 on.

I bought this lens for a walkaround moderate prime for my D700. When i had the D200 I walked around with the 17-55mm on it 95% of the time. (Great lens, but heavy after a while). When I got the D700, I wanted something light and easy to pick up and go with, which I was reluctant to do with the 17-55.
This lens has worked out well because it is not too wide but I wanted something wider than a 50mm.
I know that people (myself include) would like Nikon to come out with a 35mm f1.4, but until they do, this is what is offered and I am happy with it.
Yes, I wish it were a bit sharper wide open, but I'm still satisfied with it.

Jul 25, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add baabbott to your Buddy List
Kittyk

Registered: Apr 29, 2009
Review Date: Jun 6, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $380.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: One of fastest AFing lenses, AF in pitch dark scenarios, tiny, light. Great IQ
Cons:
f2 is marketable but stop down to f2.5 if you only can, then it beats any zoom lens wide open. AF ring gets in a way often (price to pay for small lens)

this lens is a must for both FX and DX users. 100Eur more expensive then G and so much better. Sure would be better f1.4 but you are not going to lose any moneys buying now what is available and get f1.4 later. Nikkors resell good.

Jun 6, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Kittyk to your Buddy List
Berschwinger

Registered: Apr 8, 2010
Review Date: May 20, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $250.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Small, fast, nice bokeh
Cons:
Wish it was a 1.4

This thing is a gem. I sold my 35 1.8G and kept this one in its stead. It's tiny, sharp, AF is faster than the 35 1.8G, has a classic feel to it. I find the bokeh really nice too, nice and smooth. I shoot it wide open without hesitation.

May 20, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Berschwinger to your Buddy List
yossarian123

Registered: Jan 9, 2010
Review Date: Apr 12, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $270.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: - Inexpensive - Great IQ - Perfect "normal" focal length on FX - Lightweight
Cons:
- Build quality (not bad, could be better)

This (along with the 50 1.8) is one of the best values around. If you're on FX, then the slightly wider angle makes for a really great all purpose lens. In fact, since I've gotten this lens I've barely touched my 50mm. In addition, having this lens means I feel more comfortable leaving my 28-70 2.8 at home.

Image quality is outstanding, it's really nice wide open and stopping down gives damn near perfect results. This is one of those lenses where things just seem to "pop" - color, contrast, all of it is uniformly excellent.

I'd recommend buying new, unless you have time to cross reference the serial number for a used lens to make sure you don't get a copy with faulty (oily) aperture blades. My used copy was about 270 and has been working flawlessly.

Apr 12, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add yossarian123 to your Buddy List
pc168

Registered: Mar 9, 2007
Review Date: Apr 7, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp! Ultra portable. Relatively cheap.
Cons:
Not very sharp at F2 (but that's normal).

It is my standard and walkaround lens on D700. Focal length is just right (better than 50mm). Can do landscape, wedding, group, portrait and low light photography. Basically it's suitable for any kind of scenario except tele-photo.

When doing landscape, stop down to F7.1 or F8, you got absolute corner to corner sharpness. For portrait, F2.8 will deliver excellent center sharpness with enough background blur. F2 can also be used with care.

People saying the 35 F1.8 DX is sharper but I doubt. Anyway, there is no point buying a DX lens for D700 and end up having 5.1 mp only.

While different products serve different needs (I know), do we really need to pay so much more to get something like the Nikkor 35mm F1.4 AI-s (a pretty old lens) or a weather-sealed Canon 35mm F1.4L?? For instance, the AF-S Nikkor 24mm F1.4G is selling at a crazy price!

Apr 7, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add pc168 to your Buddy List
mholdef

Registered: Sep 25, 2005
Review Date: Feb 28, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Very good image quality, fast, lightweight
Cons:
Not a 10, but not much to complain about either

I use this lens on a D700.

When traveling, this lens and my 50/1.4 get the most mileage for street photography as lightweight and discrete.

Mark

Feb 28, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add mholdef to your Buddy List
Guidenet

Registered: Mar 23, 2008
Review Date: Oct 19, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $329.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Small and Lightweight. Very sharp pretty much at all apertures.
Cons:
Not quite a 10 optically but the best of Nikon's wide primes.

If you're looking for a small and lightweight wide angle for your FX camera, this lens ought to be on your short list. If you're shooting DX, the 35 f/1.8 might be slightly sharper.

When traveling and shooting scenics this is one of my "goto" lenses on my D700. I also got great use out of it on my D300 in the mountains of Southern Utah.

The lens is extremely fast for a screw drive lens and very accurate in its focus with no hunting ever. I find that it's sharper than the 24 f/2.8 or the 28 f/2.8 and by a fair margin. It has great contrast but possibly not as good as the 20 f/2.8 or Nikon's pro-level zooms. You can bring that out in processing, though. If I want to go light, I take off my 35-70 f/2.8 and put this lens on.

Oct 19, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Guidenet to your Buddy List
Mario Moschel

Registered: Aug 11, 2007
Review Date: Mar 26, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: lightweight, sharp, fast
Cons:

Excellent all day lens for portraits indoor and outdoor. In fact, It's my favourite lens besides the 50/1.4 G.

Mar 26, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Mario Moschel to your Buddy List
mlife

Registered: Jun 1, 2005
Review Date: Mar 3, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: build, color, sharpness, feel, weight and PRICE!! :D
Cons:
None yet.. my new favorite.

I won this lens in the Nikkor 75th Anniversary Giveaway and REALLY GLAD I DID! This lens is one I would have NEVER considered purchasing but once I shot a few frames with it I realized what an oversight that was! Although I have yet to shoot out doors with it, this lens performed superbly in my "studio" and renders awesome color with perfect amount of sharpness for portraits. If you are what so ever considering this lens, stop researching now and go but it! had I not won this lens I would have no regrets about having spent even full retail for it a definite asset to my prime lineup!

Mar 3, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mlife to your Buddy List
topoff

Registered: Feb 8, 2009
Review Date: Feb 8, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, excellent image quality, no noticeable distortion or CA
Cons:

This is my walkabout D300 lens. In fact this is never off. My only other Nikon lens is the 18-200 VR and once you get used to the performance of this prime you'll only want quality.

At f2 it's a little soft but from f2.8 to f8 it is excellent. It focuses a little slowly but as a walkabout/travel lens it's perfectly adequate. On my D300 it's equal to the old 50mm field of view so you have to think about composition but for the image quality and price it's well worth the hassle.

Feb 8, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add topoff to your Buddy List
blulegend

Registered: Mar 24, 2003
Review Date: Dec 31, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $250.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: small, lightweight, close-focusing, sharp, fairly bright, well-built, versatile length for a DX body
Cons:
expensive compared to 50mm f1.8 (not really a negative)

After having the 50mm f1.8 for years and not really using it much, I finally moved to the 35mm f2. It feels like such an upgrade. I use it all the time now. The length is perfect for a DX body. It's sharp, lightweight and great for walking around. Any time I feel lazy, I bring this lens and it's a cinch.

The thing that I didn't really expect was how good the close focusing ability and image quality. The colors are contrasty and true to me. The build is what I expected and although it's plastic, I think it'll last plenty long for me. The lens shade is aluminum and will also help protect the front element.

Dec 31, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add blulegend to your Buddy List
Bahram Monshat

Registered: Jun 18, 2007
Review Date: Dec 30, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, f/2, Minimum Focus Distance.
Cons:
None Given it is a D design. an AF-S version would be better.

I use this lens as a standard, 52.5mm, lens on Nikon APS-C. It is small and performs near perfect.

Dec 30, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Bahram Monshat to your Buddy List

Nikon 35mm f/2D AF Nikkor