Canon EF 16-35mm f/4 L IS USM

Focal Length: 16-35mm
APS Equivalent: 26-56mm
Max Aperture: f/4
Min Aperture: f/22
Diaphragm Blades: 9 (circular)
Lens Construction: 16 elements in 12 groups, including 3 aspherical and 2 UD elements, fluorine coating
Diagonal Angle of View
(Based on image circle): 108.2 to 63 degrees
Focus Details: Inner focusing; full-time manual focus and USM
Front Element Rotation: No
Zoom System: Rotary
Closest Focus: 0.28m / 0.92 ft.
Magnification Ratio: 0.23x / 1:4.3 (at 35mm)
Dimensions
(Length x Diameter): 112.8mm x 82.6mm / 4.44 in. x 3.25 in.
Weight: 615g / 1.36 lb
Notes: Image Stabilization (up to four stop correction); Dust and moisture resistant; Includes lens hood, soft pouch.

hagejsh

Registered: Jan 23, 2011
Review Date: Jul 19, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,199.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent IQ. I mean at all focal lengths. For this 16-35 range it is the first time Cannon has not let me down. Lighter than the predecessors.
Cons:
None really. It is quite a bit less expensive than the 16-35 F 2.8 11 and a much better performer.

Excellent IQ. I was very very disappointed with the 16-35 F 2.8. I was more than disappointed with the 16-35 F 2.8 11. Both were very soft at almost all distances. After reading some reviews I traded in the latter for this version. I am not disappointed. It may not have the waterproofing of the previous issues, but they were not worth carrying in my bag. I am using it on a 5D Mk !!!. Heaven! With the 5d Mk 3 the ISO adjustment more than makes up for this being an F4. I do not shoot high speed sports events.
However--if I did--I would not use either of the predecessors due to lack of IQ. I now feel quite complete with this lens, the 24-70 F 2.8 Mk 2 and the 70-200 F 2.8 Mk 2. I feel these lenses to be on par. Good job Cannon.

Jul 19, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add hagejsh to your Buddy List
Peter Kotsa

Registered: Nov 1, 2007
Review Date: Jul 18, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: 77mm filter, 9 blade aperture, IS
Cons:
none so far

Great results at all focal lengths. Shooting f4 and getting sharp corners is a luxury for a super wide zoom in Canon and requires some getting used to. A very comparable lens to the 17mm TSE. The 16-35mmf4L IS has slightly better coatings than the TSE.
Excellent quality and build. Some might find it a little bit pricey, but I think it is in a completely different league than the 17-40, so cannot compare the two. Like I said, its closer to the 17 TSE in image quality.

Jul 18, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Peter Kotsa to your Buddy List
jrobichaud

Registered: Feb 21, 2005
Review Date: Jul 16, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,199.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Corner sharpness and overall IQ, 77mm filters, great IS
Cons:
Not a one

I've been waiting a long time for this lens! Have shot and owned the 17-40mm, 16-35mm (both versions) Tamron 16-28mm 2.8, Zeiss 18mm and 21mm. All of them let me down with edge IQ, especially with large groups of people. I just had to make it work with the 24-70mm 2.8 II (which is amazing).
I've had the new 16-35mm f4L IS about 3 weeks, a gazillion images with her on the 5D III and am very impressed with her.
Everything else is up for sale. Thanks Canon.

Jul 16, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jrobichaud to your Buddy List
Peter Kirk

Registered: Sep 25, 2004
Review Date: Jul 4, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Exceptional Image quality, IS, flare control
Cons:
$$ A tad Pricey

Having owned the 20-35L, 17-35L, 17-40L, 16-35L I & II and 17TSE, I have a considerable amount of experience with Canon wides.

Of all the above mentioned lenses, the 16-35 f4L IS closely resembles the 17mm TSE in image quality. It is razor sharp from f4, even the extreme corners are excellent wide open.

I must say i was hesitant in purchasing "another" Canon wide zoom, not expecting too much, but it has outweighed my 16-35 2.8LII, that I had to sell it.

CA control is excellent and I never knew IS would be so beneficial on a wide angle...its so handy in so many ways.

10/10 for this lens...

Jul 4, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Peter Kirk to your Buddy List
Snupi

Registered: Feb 4, 2012
Review Date: Jun 30, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp. Beautiful rendition, almost 3D-effect. Very flare resistant. Excellent throughout the range. Great value for money.
Cons:

I have owned both the EF 17-40 (two copies) and the EF 16-35/2.8II. The 16-35/4IS is in another league, especially in the 16/17-20mm range.
My copy has almost no chromatic aberrations, and no trace of jaggies and such behavior. As sharp as the EF 24-70/2.8II, but much better regarding field curvature, which the 24-70 suffers a lot from.
Wery reistant against flare, the best lens I have owned in that regard.
This is a lens in the upper league, also considering being an L-lens. Recommended!

Jun 30, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Snupi to your Buddy List
ThomasGermany

Registered: Mar 28, 2006
Review Date: Jun 26, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, even on the edge and wide open. Good to handle.
Cons:
Cant find any

I already got mine and tested it. I am very satisfied, Image quality is definitely L-Level! The Pictures are sharp, and i dont see any Problems, even on the edge and wide open. This lens is definitely better than the 17-40L.
Build Quality ist like other L`s very good.

Jun 26, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ThomasGermany to your Buddy List

Canon EF 16-35mm f/4 L IS USM