Tenba Messenger DNA 8

1 826 Apr 22, 2014

keithchan

Registered: Apr 6, 2004
Review Date: Apr 22, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $79.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Aesthetics, weatherproof (comes with rain cover), top and front accessible, many pockets.
Cons:
Only 1 color. Strap could use more cushion.

Just switched from a Canon 1D system to a Sony A7 for traveling and daily photography. I used to carry everything around in a Kinesis belt kit which, at the end of the day, was pretty uncomfortable due to its weight and bulkiness. I want something that I can put everything into, walk around without worrying about it, and have it not look like any other camera bag.

The Tenba DNA 8 is the smallest bag in their new messenger line. You can find out about all of its features, and their sumo wrestler, here: http://www.tenba.com/Collections/Messenger.aspx

Most importantly, this is how it allows me to pack everything into it:

The pictures are as follows: I have my A7 mounted onto a 55FE at the top. It sits on top of a half-height divider so I can rapidly pull out the camera via the top zipper (it comes with a lot of velcro dividers), under which sits a Sony 10-18 w/ the hood mounted. On the right is a Canon 28-70/2.8L mounted onto a Metabones III. Front pockets include 2 additional Sony batteries. I have a full-size flash in one of the outer mesh pockets. There is still room for a small water bottle in the other mesh pocket. The rain cover is folded up in another pocket.

Built construction is high quality, without visible faults that I can pick at. This entire thing slings easily across my shoulder and is quite narrow across my back, which I really like (so I can run around and it doesn't flop around or hit things).

I've been looking at a few other bags from big manufacturers, but personally would recommend this one above others as it allows the flexibility of carrying a mirrorless system for all my needs (I have not owned many bags, so this remains but a subjective opinion).

Apr 22, 2014