Sony E 55-210mm f/4.5-6.3 OSS SEL55210

2 3130 Jan 12, 2016
Screen_Shot_2013-11-18_at_6_19_58_PM

Name: Sony E 55-210mm f/4.5-6.3 OSS SEL55210
Image Circle: APS-C (Sony E-Mount)
Type: Telephoto Zoom
Focal Length: 55 - 210mm
APS Equivalent: 82.5 - 315mm
Max Aperture: f/4.5 - 6.3
Min Aperture: f/22 - 32
Diaphragm Blades: 7 (circular)
Lens Construction: 13 elements 9 groups
Diagonal Angle of View
(Based on image circle): 28.2 to 7.8 degrees
Focus Details: Autofocus Motor
Front Element Rotation: Yes
Zoom System: Rotary
Closest Focus: 1m / 3.28 ft.
Magnification Ratio: 0.225x / 1:4.44
Dimensions
(Length x Diameter): 108mm x 63.8mm / 4.4 in. x 2.6 in.
Weight: 345g / 12.2 oz
Notes: For Sony E-mount. Optical SteadyShot Image Stabilization. Included Accessories: ALC-SH115 round shape bayonet lens hood, lens caps.

jacquesvroom

Registered: Sep 21, 2003
Review Date: Jan 12, 2016 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $150.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Small, good reach, quite good IQ when you are smart and lucky—an exceptional value at the sometimes kit-price of $150 with its soulmate, the A6000.
Cons:
No aspect of it is as good as a Canon 6D with the 70-200 2.8 IS II. On the other hand the lens prices are in a ratio of about 12 to 1!

I apologize for not adding much new material to the review of my learned colleague below. But I do want to corroborate and support his thoughts and insights.

Folks who did not buy an A6000 and 55-210 lens for $550 total (I got mine from Adorama, with whom I have no connection) in the recent holiday season are owed a karmic favor by the universe. Congratulations and smiles for those lucky/genius folks who did!

Both A6000 and this lens are very very good overall and excellent value for the money!

Jan 12, 2016
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jacquesvroom to your Buddy List
ic2foto

Registered: Jun 19, 2010
Review Date: Feb 13, 2015 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $150.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Small / light weight / good image quality
Cons:
Construction quality is nice for what it is, but probably a lens you could easily damage if you are hard on your equipment. It's also a slow lens and not something you would want for serious sports or wildlife work.

I got this lens for $150 over the holidays with the purchase of an a6000. I generally own/use very good glass, but I don't use long lenses that often and was hoping the 55-210mm would hold me over until I can afford to add a higher end tele-zoom. To my pleasant surprise my copy is quite a good lens and I won't be in any hurry to replace it.

I've only tested it at f/8 on a tripod (because that is how I will use it). Very nice results at all the marked focal lengths w/ 210mm being a little softer at the edges but still quite acceptable. Contrast and color balance on the a6000 are not like a Zeiss lens, but very usable even for critical work.

At $150 I would give the lens a 10+ for value if I could. I've tested a number of lenses costing many multiples of that which were not nearly as good in terms of image quality. Build quality is not like that of a pro lens, but is better than I thought it would be. It is slow (f4.5-6.3) so not a serious lens for sports, but that keeps the size and weight down which is fine for me as I'm primarily a landscape photographer. AF is quick on the a6000 and zooming throughout the range is smooth and easy with about the right amount of resistance.

If this is a lens that suits your work and you can purchase one during a promotion for $250 or less I would absolutely recommend this lens. At the $350 MSRP I would have to give it some additional thought, but like I wrote above – I've tested lenses costing $700-$1200 that have not performed as well.

Feb 13, 2015
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ic2foto to your Buddy List

Sony E 55-210mm f/4.5-6.3 OSS SEL55210