Sony E 55-210mm f/4.5-6.3 OSS SEL55210

1 1985 Feb 13, 2015
No ratings 9.0
Screen_Shot_2013-11-18_at_6_19_58_PM

Name: Sony E 55-210mm f/4.5-6.3 OSS SEL55210
Image Circle: APS-C (Sony E-Mount)
Type: Telephoto Zoom
Focal Length: 55 - 210mm
APS Equivalent: 82.5 - 315mm
Max Aperture: f/4.5 - 6.3
Min Aperture: f/22 - 32
Diaphragm Blades: 7 (circular)
Lens Construction: 13 elements 9 groups
Diagonal Angle of View
(Based on image circle): 28.2 to 7.8 degrees
Focus Details: Autofocus Motor
Front Element Rotation: Yes
Zoom System: Rotary
Closest Focus: 1m / 3.28 ft.
Magnification Ratio: 0.225x / 1:4.44
Dimensions
(Length x Diameter): 108mm x 63.8mm / 4.4 in. x 2.6 in.
Weight: 345g / 12.2 oz
Notes: For Sony E-mount. Optical SteadyShot Image Stabilization. Included Accessories: ALC-SH115 round shape bayonet lens hood, lens caps.

ic2foto

Registered: Jun 19, 2010
Review Date: Feb 13, 2015 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $150.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Small / light weight / good image quality
Cons:
Construction quality is nice for what it is, but probably a lens you could easily damage if you are hard on your equipment. It's also a slow lens and not something you would want for serious sports or wildlife work.

I got this lens for $150 over the holidays with the purchase of an a6000. I generally own/use very good glass, but I don't use long lenses that often and was hoping the 55-210mm would hold me over until I can afford to add a higher end tele-zoom. To my pleasant surprise my copy is quite a good lens and I won't be in any hurry to replace it.

I've only tested it at f/8 on a tripod (because that is how I will use it). Very nice results at all the marked focal lengths w/ 210mm being a little softer at the edges but still quite acceptable. Contrast and color balance on the a6000 are not like a Zeiss lens, but very usable even for critical work.

At $150 I would give the lens a 10+ for value if I could. I've tested a number of lenses costing many multiples of that which were not nearly as good in terms of image quality. Build quality is not like that of a pro lens, but is better than I thought it would be. It is slow (f4.5-6.3) so not a serious lens for sports, but that keeps the size and weight down which is fine for me as I'm primarily a landscape photographer. AF is quick on the a6000 and zooming throughout the range is smooth and easy with about the right amount of resistance.

If this is a lens that suits your work and you can purchase one during a promotion for $250 or less I would absolutely recommend this lens. At the $350 MSRP I would have to give it some additional thought, but like I wrote above I've tested lenses costing $700-$1200 that have not performed as well.

Feb 13, 2015
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ic2foto to your Buddy List

Sony E 55-210mm f/4.5-6.3 OSS SEL55210