Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM

Focal Length: 18 - 250mm
APS Equivalent: 1.5x: 27 - 375mm; 1.6x: 28.8 - 400mm
Max Aperture: f/3.5 - 6.3
Min Aperture: f/22
Diaphragm Blades: 7 (rounded)
Lens Construction: 16 elements in 13 groups, including 1 Special Low Dispersion (SLD) and 3 aspherical elements
Diagonal Angle of View
(Based on image circle): 69.3 to 5.7 degrees
Focus Details: Internal HSM (Hyper Sonic Motor) with AF/MF switch
Front Element Rotation: No
Zoom System: Rotary
Closest Focus: 35cm / 13.8 in.
Magnification Ratio: 0.34x / 1:2.9
Dimensions
(Length x Diameter): 88.6mm x 73.5mm / 3.5 in. x 2.9 in.
Weight: 470g / 16.6 oz
Notes: Image Stabilization; Available AF mounts: Sigma, Sony, Nikon, Canon and Pentax.

PicGuy

Registered: May 27, 2005
Review Date: Aug 3, 2017 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $225.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Good IQ, small, light weight, no lens creep, zoom lock, good auto focus and image stabilization, decent build quality, some macro capability
Cons:
All the super zoom lenses have compromises and this one is no exception. Just don't expect it to perform as good as a lens with a shorter zoom range or expensive professional lenses.

I have had this lens for quite a while. It is widely known that these type of lenses are full of compromises and this one is no exception. However, I have found this particular lens to be a fairly capable walk around lens when you are wanting the convenience of its range with acceptable performance. I would describe it as having the IQ of a good kit lens with extended range. I use it when I know I will need a wide range of focal lengths without the time to swap lenses. It does a very good job for what it is.

Aug 3, 2017
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add PicGuy to your Buddy List
Mond

Registered: Jul 6, 2012
Review Date: Feb 23, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Lightness, Size, Price
Cons:
Sensitive manual focus

I bought this lens to replace a clunky and ageing Nikon 18-200vr. Although all zooms are a compromise, I have a growing suspicion that Nikon zooms are not as good as they ought to be having had several recently that though well-built were disappointing image-wise. I do not think they are worth the money any more. Most of my zooms now are Sigma, though Nikon still make the best prime lenses.

The Sigma is sharper than the Nikon, and follows the current trend in DSLRs by being lighter and smaller, and is a better all round lens for travel. The addition of a close focus facility is a bonus. Image stabilisation works well.

My only criticism so far is that the focus ring is too highly geared; when using the lens on manual, getting accurate focus is tricky and requires some fine movements.

Overall it is a fine addition to my lens bag.

(Just heard it has been discontinued - get one while you can at knock-down prices.)

Feb 23, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Mond to your Buddy List
jefflee

Registered: Feb 23, 2005
Review Date: Nov 17, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: 1. 3-4 stop VR works well for stills and video 2. Sharp a stop or so down from wide open 3. Feels good for such a light lens
Cons:
Slow at the long end. Some distortion but that is easily correct in post.

I have good glass but what a travel kit. Tried M43 but it was too small for my hands. Read the review at DPR and because the Nikkor 18-300 was so big, thought I'd try it. While light it feels well built. The VR has given me three stops and it works well even at 250mm on my D7100 (even with the 1.3 crop). LR/CS corrects well for this lens (CSCC does it better I think). The High ISO performance of my cameras somewhat compensate for the f6.3 @ 250mm. Its focus is very fast, even compared to my 300 AFS f4. This lens also makes a great video lens, the VR can give you 10-15 seconds of steady video (at least in my use).

I would not want this to be my only lens because I've used good Nikkor glass for a long time. But, for travel or walk around, this lens is very good. If I had not liked it I would have sent it back and bought the much larger and heavier Nikkor 18-300. With Photoshop you can make 13 x 19 or 16 x 20's from a D7100 file that look fantastic.

I would buy it again.

Nov 17, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jefflee to your Buddy List

Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM