Tamron 60mm f/2 Di II LD IF Macro 1:1 SP AF

(Based on image circle): 26.6 degrees
Focus Details: Internal, with full-time manual focus override
Front Element Rotation: No
Zoom System: n/a
Closest Focus: 0.23m / 9.1 in.
Magnification Ratio: 1.0x / 1:1
Dimensions
(Length x Diameter): 80mm x 73mm / 3.15 in. x 2.9 in.
Weight: 400g / 14.1 oz
Notes: Available mounts: Canon, Nikon (with built-in AF motor), Sony; Includes lens hood.
Online Price: US$480

Jason C

Registered: Jan 10, 2009
Review Date: Oct 13, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $310.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Inexpensive, Fast f/2 aperture, IQ
Cons:
None for me

I wanted a 1:1 mag macro for my SL1, and my choices were simple; the Canon EF-S 60/2.8 or the Tamron 60/2.

I have used a Canon EF-S 60/2.8 macro in the past, and I liked it a lot. I had never used the Tamron 60/2, but with it's faster aperture and exact same price tag along with prior experience with Tamron products I went with the Tamron 60...glad I did.

IQ and sharpness are on par with the Canon 60/2.8 at comparable apertures, and f/2 has a "dreamy" quality to it.

The Tamron's AF is notably slower and noisier than the Canon, but in my opinion AF takes a back seat to manual focus when shooting macro...I prefer MF. Otherwise, I do find the AF to be adequate, both in speed and accuracy, for my relaxed style of shooting.

The lens is chunky, a looks imposing on my SL1. Build quality is very good, and I find no issues with the focus ring.

Also, as an added bonus, the Tamron 60/2 will mount and work on my Full Frame 6D. At closer distances to a subject, and fast apertures, the APS-C designed lens shows very little vignetting at all. The Tamron also gets sees work on my EOS M, with adapter of course, and works like a charm.

Overall, I am very pleased with this lens, in build, IQ and cross platform usability. Very easily worth the $310 I paid for it used, in like new condition with box and accessories.

Oct 13, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Jason C to your Buddy List
LMT1972

Registered: Oct 26, 2008
Review Date: Apr 1, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $700.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Well priced, internal focusing, good working distance, sharper & less CA than the older Tamron 90, excellent IQ with the Kenko tubes.
Cons:
Stiff/jerky focus ring.

Very good general purpose macro. Great working distance for a 60mm focal length (100mm from front element). I use this pretty well exclusively with Kenko tubes and gives me about 2.36x magnification & 75mm working distance. I also owned the Tamron 90 (older version) and the 60 is sharper up to f11 and has significantly less CA. Internal focusing is also a plus and AF speed is quicker than the 90mm & also much quieter. I use it on a crop camera (D300) & it's a nice focal length for portraits. Wide open (f2.2 for portrait distances) it's quite useable (slightly better than the 50 1.8D) but stopping down to f2.8 it's razor sharp. Build quality is fine for a macro, but certainly on the lighter side. Bokeh is also quite pleasant IMO.

The main con with this lens is the focus ring is quite stiff or jerky which can make fine focus adjustments a bit tricky. I have had the lens for more than 4 years and this has not improved unfortunately.

If you have the older 90mm versions this is definitely worth the upgrade in my opinion.

Apr 1, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add LMT1972 to your Buddy List
Bruce_T

Registered: Dec 30, 2011
Review Date: Jan 12, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $300.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Price, image quality, versatility, f/2
Cons:
Slow AF (hunts in low light), imprecise manual focus ring

Bought this lens used on the FM marketplace and it quickly became one of my favorite and most-used lenses. Beautiful 1:1 macro images with a working distance around 4. Also serves an outstanding DX portrait lens (90mm equivalent on FX). Autofocus performance can be inconsistent wide open.

Jan 12, 2014